MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
gbcoke
10/4/2023 12:45am

With all the tire debate going on, anyone noticed Bruni running Argotal's? 

Can't understand why as Specialized have a similar tire that is supposed to be real good.

26c5c4e8-4c8b-484e-87b0-b9cc4d2c5cea.jpeg?VersionId=zywGcDfSHvjXIykfF9m

gibbon
10/4/2023 1:28am
freeriding wrote:
Obviously the system works. What i am missing is the question, from an engineering's point of view. If you take a classic horst link and remove...

Obviously the system works. What i am missing is the question, from an engineering's point of view.

If you take a classic horst link and remove the shock, put the bike on a stand and apply upward force with your hands on the wheel, then the seatstay will rotate in the lower seatstay pivot (in a certain extent), without chainstay moving.

This applies here as i imagine it. I am missing something.

Yep.

mug55
10/4/2023 1:40am
Noeserd wrote:
Another dual susp frame from Suspensin Smith in FB         Quote " New prototype Dual front suspension system on a Specialized Kenevo comp....this...

Another dual susp frame from Suspensin Smith in FB

image-20231004032805-1

image-20231004032812-2

image-20231004032817-3

Quote "

New prototype Dual front suspension system on a Specialized Kenevo comp....this combines a Fox 36 single crown 130mm fork with a Girder type link system and a Fox float DPS air shock giving another 55mm of travel for a total of 185mm travel.

EDIT: In answer to peoples asking Why and what does it do.

This suspension system does a few things completely new and different to any other system made to date.

Because it is a dual hybrid of a telefork and a linkage suspension system working together they give the front wheel two different wheelpaths.....the 130mm telefork wheelpath which in this case is set steeper......and the 55mm link suspension wheelpath which gives the wheel a more backwards wheelpath...approx 45 degrees back.

This gives the suspension the ability to handle a much greater variation of trail obstacles and conditions and it introduces a second level of suspension compliance....what the fork cant soak up is then further complianced by the link suspension.

Then there is the ability to seperately tune the telefork and the link air shock to better seperately fine tune small bump compliance and big hit/bottoming control."

I think the real reason for this is 'it's easier to use an existing fork than machine our own fixed legs'. This setup seems like it would be harder to tune and more unpredictable to ride, because you never know which spring will be compressing, and what the axle path will be doing.

fluider
10/4/2023 2:45am

It's very interesting case study. Unfortunately, no big boy of America the Great is courageous enough to do things like this. Still, anyhow it's interesting, it doesn't help to solve the biggest task of front suspension and that is preserving the front center geometry. 

funktekk
10/4/2023 5:48am

Even now that the cat is out of the bag for Specialized, I don't see the shroud going away anytime soon. The bike looks ugly without it and a major headache to clean the mud out of the nooks and crannies. 

Ducki
10/4/2023 5:53am

If the pushrod sits lower than the chainring (like in the pic with Iles bottoming out) - it`ll get beaten up pretty hard...

can't imagine the final frame comes with it shaped like that?!

stoic_machine
10/4/2023 6:03am
funktekk wrote:
Even now that the cat is out of the bag for Specialized, I don't see the shroud going away anytime soon. The bike looks ugly without...

Even now that the cat is out of the bag for Specialized, I don't see the shroud going away anytime soon. The bike looks ugly without it and a major headache to clean the mud out of the nooks and crannies. 

Ooooh I don't think the finished to market bike will honestly look anything like this.I got a Hunch they are doing what Intense did with that mega rocker bike from last year. This Current mule from specialized is just providing answers for specialized I reckon . At best the chainstay will be what sticks around as it's tuneable flex but there is just no way that linkage is gonna hang out like an old man's nuts on the final design.

​​​​

yahmon
Fantasy
1540th
10/4/2023 8:15am
mtbboy1993 wrote:
 Anamoly MTB shoes, website is up and shoes are for sale https://www.rideanamoly.com/ https://www.instagram.com/rideanamoly/ https://www.instagram.com/christopher_armstrong_/ They are claimed to be waterproof. The toe box is wide.So maybe...

Anamoly MTB shoes, website is up and shoes are for sale https://www.rideanamoly.com/

https://www.instagram.com/rideanamoly/

https://www.instagram.com/christopher_armstrong_/

They are claimed to be waterproof.

The toe box is wide.So maybe I can downsize I don't know.

aw hell yeah they all look terrible

10/4/2023 8:16am
More footage of Loic on the new bike. He also talks about a new cartridge that is sensitive to air pressure change.    

More footage of Loic on the new bike. He also talks about a new cartridge that is sensitive to air pressure change.

I watched the video by Bruni. To me, he means the air cartridge is very sensitive to pressure changes. That is, even half a psi of difference will alter ride height signifcantly. 

10/4/2023 8:17am
sspomer wrote:
rampage bikes from propain here https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/red-bull-rampage-bikes-custom-spindrift-al-and-cf-clemens-kaudela-and-carson-storch have we seen an inverted fork at rampage since early 2000s dorado or shiver or avalanche (wasn't lance canfield on...

rampage bikes from propain here

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/red-bull-rampage-bikes-cust…

have we seen an inverted fork at rampage since early 2000s dorado or shiver or avalanche (wasn't lance canfield on an avalanche back in the day?)? stoked to see one (ok, two) again.

ClemensKaudela Rampage23 Day1 Lifestyle Bikecheck Syo van Vliet 1861 MR.jpg?VersionId=KTljrwfu2Whab2zXnU7fQ41Z

Berrecloth ran a DVO Emerald in 2016; Gulevich & Wil White showed up with Manitou Dorados in 2014. They've been rare, though.

mtbboy1993
10/4/2023 8:22am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2023 2:35pm
sspomer wrote:
rampage bikes from propain here https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/red-bull-rampage-bikes-custom-spindrift-al-and-cf-clemens-kaudela-and-carson-storch have we seen an inverted fork at rampage since early 2000s dorado or shiver or avalanche (wasn't lance canfield on...

have we seen an inverted fork at rampage since early 2000s dorado or shiver or avalanche (wasn't lance canfield on an avalanche back in the day?)? stoked to see one (ok, two) again.

ClemensKaudela Rampage23 Day1 Lifestyle Bikecheck Syo van Vliet 1861 MR.jpg?VersionId=KTljrwfu2Whab2zXnU7fQ41Z

I'm still afraid of Propain, due to the failures and issues I've seen.

I hope they have sorted out their issues.

This vid is in German, but that's the first vid I saw with major issues with a Propain bike. He sent the whole bike in to Propain, they replaced the frame.

Looks like a head tube or head set issue. Might be a bad headset, faulty headset. but how they handle it was horrible, they should have fixed the issue.

this vid was 2 years old.

The second main frame failed, he was injured so his friends test rode it, few DH runs and few jumps and headset was loose.

This video is 1 year old and tells the story, that he opted for refund, as the replacement frame did the same in few runs and jumps.

This vid is in English, and shows various issues people had, clearance with Rock Shox shock issues on some frame, but apparently it was fixed, but some cracked frames.

10/4/2023 10:21am

I watched the video by Bruni. To me, he means the air cartridge is very sensitive to pressure changes. That is, even half a psi of...

I watched the video by Bruni. To me, he means the air cartridge is very sensitive to pressure changes. That is, even half a psi of difference will alter ride height signifcantly. 

Yeah I was really interested that .5-1psi could make that much of a chang in feel and ride height! 

But I guess he bike looks crazy sensitive also!

funktekk
10/4/2023 10:28am
Yeah I was really interested that .5-1psi could make that much of a chang in feel and ride height!    But I guess he bike looks...

Yeah I was really interested that .5-1psi could make that much of a chang in feel and ride height! 

I suppose that is great for a world cup dh ride where you have a mechanic going over the bike every 5min of trail time, but commercially that would be a huge issue. If it is that sensitive to pressure then what about some dirty stations? 

10/4/2023 11:28am
sspomer wrote:

mtbboy1993 wrote:
I'm still afraid of Propain, due to the failures and issues I've seen. I hope they have sorted out their issues. This vid is in German...

This vid is in German, but that's the first vid I saw with major issues with a Propain bike. He sent the whole bike in to Propain, they replaced the frame.

Looks like a head tube or head set issue. Might be a bad headset, faulty headset. but how they handle it was horrible, they should have fixed the issue.

The second main frame failed, he was injured so his friends test rode it, few DH runs and few jumps and headset was loose.

This video is 1 year old and tells the story, that he opted for refund, as the replacement frame did the same in few runs and jumps.

This vid is in English, and shows various issues people had, clearance with Rock Shox shock issues on some frame, but apparently it was fixed, but some cracked frames.

This isn’t a what bike break thread but thanks for this garbage 

Primoz
Fantasy
470th
10/4/2023 11:33am
Yeah I was really interested that .5-1psi could make that much of a chang in feel and ride height!    But I guess he bike looks...

funktekk wrote:
I suppose that is great for a world cup dh ride where you have a mechanic going over the bike every 5min of trail time, but...

I suppose that is great for a world cup dh ride where you have a mechanic going over the bike every 5min of trail time, but commercially that would be a huge issue. If it is that sensitive to pressure then what about some dirty stations? 

Elevation and temperature changes. Over the weekend I set my tyres to 1,4 bar in the morning at 1100 m altitude and in the afternoon at 2000 m high they were at 1,6 bar.

timhvt
Fantasy
1524th
10/4/2023 11:35am
sspomer wrote:

mtbboy1993 wrote:
I'm still afraid of Propain, due to the failures and issues I've seen. I hope they have sorted out their issues. This vid is in German...

This isn’t a what bike break thread but thanks for this garbage 

plus, every company has breakages. one story is not everything. Now, back to tech nerdery. 

10/4/2023 1:26pm

The new GasGas ebike is coming with DVO/WP suspension. Just ripping a quote right from Pinkbike cause I dont know anything about WP "The main feature here is a cone valve that acts as a blow-off on hard impacts, without affecting the regular damping circuits. That valve can be adjusted externally via the HSC damping, with independent LSC and rebound accessible externally."

Anyone know anything about this company or this valve?

Primoz
Fantasy
470th
10/4/2023 1:46pm

WP was bought out by KTM years ago and became their in-house suspension supplier.

brash
10/4/2023 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2023 1:47pm
The new GasGas ebike is coming with DVO/WP suspension. Just ripping a quote right from Pinkbike cause I dont know anything about WP "The main feature...

The new GasGas ebike is coming with DVO/WP suspension. Just ripping a quote right from Pinkbike cause I dont know anything about WP "The main feature here is a cone valve that acts as a blow-off on hard impacts, without affecting the regular damping circuits. That valve can be adjusted externally via the HSC damping, with independent LSC and rebound accessible externally."

it's their Motocross technology on their baller forks/TRAX Shocks. Think of it like Showa A kit.

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/cone-valve-suspension/

saying the tech is in a DVO shock is a stretch IMO. Some imaginative word smithing.

10/4/2023 1:51pm
The new GasGas ebike is coming with DVO/WP suspension. Just ripping a quote right from Pinkbike cause I dont know anything about WP "The main feature...

brash wrote:
it's their Motocross technology on their baller forks/TRAX Shocks. Think of it like Showa A kit. https://dirtbikemagazine.com/cone-valve-suspension/ saying the tech is in a DVO shock is...

it's their Motocross technology on their baller forks/TRAX Shocks. Think of it like Showa A kit.

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/cone-valve-suspension/

saying the tech is in a DVO shock is a stretch IMO. Some imaginative word smithing.

I don't see why they couldn't be replacing a DVO shim stack with their own cone valve/entire damper? Have heard very positive things about properly tuned cone valve moto suspension... 

Interesting overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSoi4mq0-Fk 

Noeserd
10/4/2023 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2023 3:41pm
Noeserd wrote:
Another dual susp frame from Suspensin Smith in FB         Quote " New prototype Dual front suspension system on a Specialized Kenevo comp....this...

Another dual susp frame from Suspensin Smith in FB

image-20231004032805-1

image-20231004032812-2

image-20231004032817-3

Quote "

New prototype Dual front suspension system on a Specialized Kenevo comp....this combines a Fox 36 single crown 130mm fork with a Girder type link system and a Fox float DPS air shock giving another 55mm of travel for a total of 185mm travel.

EDIT: In answer to peoples asking Why and what does it do.

This suspension system does a few things completely new and different to any other system made to date.

Because it is a dual hybrid of a telefork and a linkage suspension system working together they give the front wheel two different wheelpaths.....the 130mm telefork wheelpath which in this case is set steeper......and the 55mm link suspension wheelpath which gives the wheel a more backwards wheelpath...approx 45 degrees back.

This gives the suspension the ability to handle a much greater variation of trail obstacles and conditions and it introduces a second level of suspension compliance....what the fork cant soak up is then further complianced by the link suspension.

Then there is the ability to seperately tune the telefork and the link air shock to better seperately fine tune small bump compliance and big hit/bottoming control."

mug55 wrote:
I think the real reason for this is 'it's easier to use an existing fork than machine our own fixed legs'. This setup seems like it...

I think the real reason for this is 'it's easier to use an existing fork than machine our own fixed legs'. This setup seems like it would be harder to tune and more unpredictable to ride, because you never know which spring will be compressing, and what the axle path will be doing.

Quote straight from one of his comments almost as if he replied to you lol

"I can well see your doubts as the efficacy of this setup....I have been working on this for about 6 years now and it took multiple prototypes and designs to get my head around this...it takes the adoption of a certain mindset to understand this.

I have posted a Vid of a similar dual suspension type working through a rock garden and it shows clearly the two suspensions working together....the telefork can/is setup to be a little more linear or less progresive in its action (200mm travel ohlins fork ) as its isnt being used to control bottoming...it is setup so that the telefork will bottom first and bottom into the remaining travel of the secondary link suspension....so it is a soft bottom....the secondary link suspension is hence setup very much more stiffer than the telefork...its wheel rate is something like 4 times stiffer than the teleforks wheelrate.....as you can see the secondary suspension is still moving in response to small to medium rocks and very much so to bigger ones...it is taking the edge off what the telefork cant fully absorb....the level of overall compliance and control this gives has to be felt to be believed.....hence the secondary suspension is the main source of full bottoming control...in this case the secondary link suspension has 75mm travel...this gives a total travel of 200mm plus 75mm for 275mm on the front of a downhill bike.

https://youtu.be/93iEL3b3E68?si=KI1zhDRQ0MITQ_wX " 

sspomer
Fantasy
51st
10/4/2023 3:37pm

pit bits from MSA (may still be processing to HD etc...unlisted for a bit...you nerds get it first : )

Big Bird
10/4/2023 3:45pm
sspomer wrote:
pit bits from MSA (may still be processing to HD etc...unlisted for a bit...you nerds get it first : )    

We're not nerds. We're amateur scientists!

veefour
Fantasy
2272nd
10/4/2023 3:54pm

Never trust a squid.  Laughing

pinkrobe
10/4/2023 5:06pm

From the Pit Bits vid, sounds like the Forbidden DH bike goes from prototype to official product as of November.

10/4/2023 9:43pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2023 9:48pm

Its hard to find good drawings/explanations online about it, but it takes the place of a mid-valve or check valve on the rebound piston and instead of being a flat shim against a few ports, it is a cone that sits inside a cup on the back of the piston and preloaded by a stiff spring. It generates more of the compression damping which would normally be done by the base valve in a fork and the shape of the cone can be changed for different characteristics. It gets a lot of hype on the moto side but its hard to tell how much of it is genuine or not. It needs quite different architecture for the whole damper though so it wouldn't be just changing the main piston, there would need to be a matching base valve to work properly too. Curious to see how much it resembles the moto version!

Actually this video explains it quite well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSoi4mq0-Fk

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest