2024 Racing Talk

chriskief
1/4/2024 10:42am
With Danny and Aaron both currently seeking bike sponsors super close to the 2024 season - my original concerns about industry health are being unfortunately seen...

With Danny and Aaron both currently seeking bike sponsors super close to the 2024 season - my original concerns about industry health are being unfortunately seen here I feel.  Wonder where we are going and where we are going to end up?  I am concerned on many levels.  As a shop owner, as a passionate rider, a racer  / a all things mountain bike/trail riding fan.... I think this is very concerning.  

I am going to post a link here because I was super inspired by her episode and I believe it comes at a pivotal moment and time in and for our sport.  Donna Carpenter, the widow of the late great Jake Burton, and head of Burton Snowboards appears on this episode The Bomb Hole podcast.  She is a badass but to be short she is essentially like a matriarch for the sport of Snowboarding.  She is constantly looking out for the best interest of the sport and making sure it is shown and marketed in the best of light.  Listen to her get candid about the International Olympic Committee and how they screwed up turn after turn and she took them to task for it.  Showing real leadership and authenticity that is truly rad and tone applauded in because its so lacking in this day in age.  She was and is so inspiring.  All the charities and charitable causes Burton spearheads and is involved in.  I have to ask myself, why or how do we not have similar leadership in our industry?  Donna is a rock star I believe and I want more people to hear her story and vision.  We have great companies and people but Burton takes giving back and being the changes they want to see better than probably any company in the Outdoor Sports Industry.  Our sport -- A sport/ a art form/ a industry all about the same age as snowboarding with so manny parallels -- we can learn from each other.  Be inspired by each other.  I know the riders are.  I believe we can learn and take something from this leadership example Donna has set. The amount of community projects and initiatives that Burton and Donna spearhead are amazing examples of how to lead and give back to build a bigger better strong community of ridership and riding.  Attached is a link to her podcast in hopes that others can see what I find is seriously inspiring at a very pivotal time in our sport and industry.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN-KyV-aUXM

Please the bike industry is run by a bunch of greedy guys, I hope we a see an implosion of more brands and definitely bike shops...

Please the bike industry is run by a bunch of greedy guys, I hope we a see an implosion of more brands and definitely bike shops, you guys deserve it. The smart and strong will survive.

At least this guy is consistent.

Edthorne
1/4/2024 11:47am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2024 11:49am
With Danny and Aaron both currently seeking bike sponsors super close to the 2024 season - my original concerns about industry health are being unfortunately seen...

With Danny and Aaron both currently seeking bike sponsors super close to the 2024 season - my original concerns about industry health are being unfortunately seen here I feel.  Wonder where we are going and where we are going to end up?  I am concerned on many levels.  As a shop owner, as a passionate rider, a racer  / a all things mountain bike/trail riding fan.... I think this is very concerning.  

I am going to post a link here because I was super inspired by her episode and I believe it comes at a pivotal moment and time in and for our sport.  Donna Carpenter, the widow of the late great Jake Burton, and head of Burton Snowboards appears on this episode The Bomb Hole podcast.  She is a badass but to be short she is essentially like a matriarch for the sport of Snowboarding.  She is constantly looking out for the best interest of the sport and making sure it is shown and marketed in the best of light.  Listen to her get candid about the International Olympic Committee and how they screwed up turn after turn and she took them to task for it.  Showing real leadership and authenticity that is truly rad and tone applauded in because its so lacking in this day in age.  She was and is so inspiring.  All the charities and charitable causes Burton spearheads and is involved in.  I have to ask myself, why or how do we not have similar leadership in our industry?  Donna is a rock star I believe and I want more people to hear her story and vision.  We have great companies and people but Burton takes giving back and being the changes they want to see better than probably any company in the Outdoor Sports Industry.  Our sport -- A sport/ a art form/ a industry all about the same age as snowboarding with so manny parallels -- we can learn from each other.  Be inspired by each other.  I know the riders are.  I believe we can learn and take something from this leadership example Donna has set. The amount of community projects and initiatives that Burton and Donna spearhead are amazing examples of how to lead and give back to build a bigger better strong community of ridership and riding.  Attached is a link to her podcast in hopes that others can see what I find is seriously inspiring at a very pivotal time in our sport and industry.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN-KyV-aUXM

Please the bike industry is run by a bunch of greedy guys, I hope we a see an implosion of more brands and definitely bike shops...

Please the bike industry is run by a bunch of greedy guys, I hope we a see an implosion of more brands and definitely bike shops, you guys deserve it. The smart and strong will survive.

chriskief wrote:

At least this guy is consistent.

This must be the same level of "civility" shown in their Cascade reviews...

1/4/2024 9:04pm

So I’m curious, since Vital MX has the Fantasy League for SMX now, does that mean we’ll get one for DH here?

sspomer
1/5/2024 7:28am

So I’m curious, since Vital MX has the Fantasy League for SMX now, does that mean we’ll get one for DH here?

hit our what's in/what's out article for some clarity : )

hogfly
1/5/2024 2:25pm

So BME (and BMD) just quietly swapped their second round from Ride Rock Creek to Windrock. TRP is a title sponsor and they’re advertising their connection with Gwin in the promotion for TRP as a sponsor. 

I don’t hate the change or anything, but it’s weird to just change it without any kind of announcement or explanation.  

Stewyeww
1/5/2024 4:16pm

Odds of seeing Goldstone rocking a Fox onsie this season?

This one is being worn this weekend in supercross.

Screenshot 20240105-171419

maxwrbike
1/5/2024 4:43pm

Once again, this has nothing to do with racing talk. Go start another forum for your weird soapboxing 

All-MTN-MTB
1/5/2024 5:58pm
Stewyeww wrote:
Odds of seeing Goldstone rocking a Fox onsie this season? This one is being worn this weekend in supercross.  

I don’t think this would be allowed with the UCI rules on clothing for DHI. I forget them exactly, but they were discussed during the shorts bounty towards the end of last season and they were pretty specific. 

1/5/2024 6:19pm
Stewyeww wrote:
Odds of seeing Goldstone rocking a Fox onsie this season? This one is being worn this weekend in supercross.  

I don’t think this would be allowed with the UCI rules on clothing for DHI. I forget them exactly, but they were discussed during the shorts...

I don’t think this would be allowed with the UCI rules on clothing for DHI. I forget them exactly, but they were discussed during the shorts bounty towards the end of last season and they were pretty specific. 

"The jersey shall be a long-sleeved shirt whose sleeves extend down to the rider's wrists. Jerseys used in downhill events should be of a type specifically designed and sold for use in BMX Racing or Mountain Bike downhill events. Jerseys designed for road cycling, skinsuits, or one-piece suits comprising the jersey and the pants/shorts are not permitted for use in downhill events.

The jersey must be either close fitting around the waist or must be tucked into the pants before the start to not cause interference."

kolsen
1/5/2024 8:03pm
Stewyeww wrote:

Jesus Hernandez Christ 

1/5/2024 8:59pm
hogfly wrote:
So BME (and BMD) just quietly swapped their second round from Ride Rock Creek to Windrock. TRP is a title sponsor and they’re advertising their connection...

So BME (and BMD) just quietly swapped their second round from Ride Rock Creek to Windrock. TRP is a title sponsor and they’re advertising their connection with Gwin in the promotion for TRP as a sponsor. 

I don’t hate the change or anything, but it’s weird to just change it without any kind of announcement or explanation.  

So I noticed something else a few days ago, Roots and Rain is sponsored by Intense right now, with a big M1 banner. Might be nothing of any real consequence, but still interesting given the state of things.

IMG 0978.jpeg?VersionId=KoZSyh.4.gjwsrxP

trexyz
1/6/2024 2:52am
So I noticed something else a few days ago, Roots and Rain is sponsored by Intense right now, with a big M1 banner. Might be nothing...

So I noticed something else a few days ago, Roots and Rain is sponsored by Intense right now, with a big M1 banner. Might be nothing of any real consequence, but still interesting given the state of things.

IMG 0978.jpeg?VersionId=KoZSyh.4.gjwsrxP

Webmaster was looking for a sponsorship for a while. I remember a post where he said that costs are going up and he needs sponsors to keep the project alive. If he managed to grab a sponsorship from Intense, good for him. R&R is a very good source for results, I don’t think there's another website with such amount of data. The project that Eliot Jackson started is no longer updated…

1/6/2024 6:35am

Does anyone have any inside knowledge about the dates for the DH and enduro races in Haute-Savoie this year? The UCI Mountain Bike World Series website mentions June 28th to July 7th but doesn't provide further details. If I recall correctly, someone found out the exact date for the DH race and posted it in another topic, but I can't find it anymore.

Maxipedia
1/6/2024 7:39am
Does anyone have any inside knowledge about the dates for the DH and enduro races in Haute-Savoie this year? The UCI Mountain Bike World Series website...

Does anyone have any inside knowledge about the dates for the DH and enduro races in Haute-Savoie this year? The UCI Mountain Bike World Series website mentions June 28th to July 7th but doesn't provide further details. If I recall correctly, someone found out the exact date for the DH race and posted it in another topic, but I can't find it anymore.

Interested in this too, as I looked for the more precise dates awhile ago and couldn't find anything. At least the location for the DH should be crystal clear with Les Gets.

Mx

thegromit
1/6/2024 7:50am
Does anyone have any inside knowledge about the dates for the DH and enduro races in Haute-Savoie this year? The UCI Mountain Bike World Series website...

Maxipedia wrote:
Interested in this too, as I looked for the more precise dates awhile ago and couldn't find anything. At least the location for the DH should...

Interested in this too, as I looked for the more precise dates awhile ago and couldn't find anything. At least the location for the DH should be crystal clear with Les Gets.

Mx

someone said earlier that there was a french cup one of the weekends so they thought it was the one with out it. Let me see if I can find it.

thegromit
1/6/2024 7:52am

Maxipedia wrote:
Interested in this too, as I looked for the more precise dates awhile ago and couldn't find anything. At least the location for the DH should...

Mx

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 8.52.12 AM

sharpy212
1/7/2024 8:45am

Anyone watch the super cross yesterday, Christian Craig was in a one piece Fox kit…. Wonder if we’ll see it come to the DH racing also, kits are already tight, and I know there’s a regulation on how tight they can be.. but it could be something we’ll see this year. IMG 6695

Big Bird
1/7/2024 9:47am

Once again no. UCI regulations require long sleeved jerseys and pants. Separate pieces.

1/8/2024 4:44am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2024 4:45am
BGoldstone wrote:

Pretty sure it’s the 5-7th weekend with xc the weekend before. That’s what it was on the Uci prelim calendar 

https://docs.uci.org/documents/calendar/MTB/MTB_PreCalendrier.pdf

I found this calendar on https://comitegrandestcyclisme.fr where it says that DH and XCO are on the same weekend (5-7th July) and enduro is one weekend before, on 28-30th June.

1 1

jwillp
1/8/2024 9:30am
hogfly wrote:
So BME (and BMD) just quietly swapped their second round from Ride Rock Creek to Windrock. TRP is a title sponsor and they’re advertising their connection...

I'm a Windrock local and hadn't event heard about this very quiet switch...

bizutch
1/8/2024 11:51am
Stewyeww wrote:

I don’t think this would be allowed with the UCI rules on clothing for DHI. I forget them exactly, but they were discussed during the shorts...

BGoldstone wrote:
"The jersey shall be a long-sleeved shirt whose sleeves extend down to the rider's wrists. Jerseys used in downhill events should be of a type specifically...

"The jersey shall be a long-sleeved shirt whose sleeves extend down to the rider's wrists. Jerseys used in downhill events should be of a type specifically designed and sold for use in BMX Racing or Mountain Bike downhill events. Jerseys designed for road cycling, skinsuits, or one-piece suits comprising the jersey and the pants/shorts are not permitted for use in downhill events.

The jersey must be either close fitting around the waist or must be tucked into the pants before the start to not cause interference."

I've wondered all year long about the legality of Bruni's Dyneema race "suit" that no other riders have access to in retail.

What he wears IS a skinsuit & no one else has the funding, access or ability to purchase the same material and/or kit.
I'm no fool and people keep hyping his skill as a rider, but no one seems to want to mention he is splitting the wind with a material intended to create a slipstream and has ZERO other function.  

For him to be able to race in that kit, it should be for sale retail and at a legitimite quantity, not just a lot of 10.  

1llumA
1/8/2024 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2024 1:59pm
bizutch wrote:
I've wondered all year long about the legality of Bruni's Dyneema race "suit" that no other riders have access to in retail. What he wears IS...

I've wondered all year long about the legality of Bruni's Dyneema race "suit" that no other riders have access to in retail.

What he wears IS a skinsuit & no one else has the funding, access or ability to purchase the same material and/or kit.
I'm no fool and people keep hyping his skill as a rider, but no one seems to want to mention he is splitting the wind with a material intended to create a slipstream and has ZERO other function.  

For him to be able to race in that kit, it should be for sale retail and at a legitimite quantity, not just a lot of 10.  

I have no idea if you are joking but Dyneema was never used for aero purpose. Dyneema come from the sailing world for a High-strength/low weight ratio material and is used by others industries for the same reason. If you look at other cycling discipline they don't use Dyneema in their skinsuit. Yes Dyneema is expensive but nothing compared to a one-off wind tunnel tested track skinsuit for hour world record attempt.

bizutch
1/8/2024 3:58pm
bizutch wrote:
I've wondered all year long about the legality of Bruni's Dyneema race "suit" that no other riders have access to in retail. What he wears IS...

1llumA wrote:
I have no idea if you are joking but Dyneema was never used for aero purpose. Dyneema come from the sailing world for a High-strength/low weight...

I have no idea if you are joking but Dyneema was never used for aero purpose. Dyneema come from the sailing world for a High-strength/low weight ratio material and is used by others industries for the same reason. If you look at other cycling discipline they don't use Dyneema in their skinsuit. Yes Dyneema is expensive but nothing compared to a one-off wind tunnel tested track skinsuit for hour world record attempt.

It's "intended" purpose, functional purpose & sport specific purposes can all be very different.
If it's flexible yet water repellant, then when squeezed onto a DH racer, it DEFINITELY improves their aerodynamics. If wind can't penetrate fabric, it's essentially a solid.  

TLD, Fox, Dharco, Alpinestars and so forth....no matter how tight their clothing offerings for DH are currently, the wind can certainly penetrate the fabrics and increase drag on their underlying garments & protective equipment the same as a car w/ a radiator has more drag than a Tesla.

owl-x
1/8/2024 4:11pm

Three person podiums for dh and Xc in 2024

that switch to a three person for the overall WC podium at the end of the year was as low as anything they've done, in my mind...have they made it official BEFORE it happens this time around?

wide appeal and all that...the Casual Fan probably doesn't dig a 5 person podium (I don't like it but accept its place in MTCool

ebruner
1/8/2024 4:16pm

so are we saying that bruni has the hottest cajones in dh racing?  

bizutch
1/8/2024 4:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2024 4:27pm
ebruner wrote:

so are we saying that bruni has the hottest cajones in dh racing?  

Let's GEEK OUT on Dyneema.

I started a thread with a poll.  I already know what's gonna win the Poll, but would really love it if other more scientifically inclined minds weighed on whether it's cheating or not:  

https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/hub/dyneema-aerodynamic-advantage-vote

sspomer
1/9/2024 8:13am

just posted our minnaar to norco interview.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/greg-minnaar-norco-bicycles-inside-li…

a couple things re: race talk - he thinks WC format will be the same in 2024 w/ semi-finals, but hasn't heard for sure. we have an interview with neko due out sometime soon and he acknowledges the same thing. super interesting. i figured semis were gone, but who knows. greg also seems stoked on the fox one-piece suit!

Post a reply to: 2024 Racing Talk

The Latest