2019 Racing Rumors

Create New Tag

12/21/2018 2:48 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5p8pLTHX5Q&t=0s

new video from the YT MOB.....

|

12/21/2018 2:50 AM

YT says thanks to Aaron and Neko, and hints at turning the page!

FROM YT:

Thank you for the good times.

“Thank you for three glorious years of World Cup Racing, historic firsts, epic victories and a lot of lessons learned. Demonstrating that YT can succeed on a global stage, proving doubters wrong and establishing the YT MOB on the circuit.
Thank you for the good times Aaron & Neko!

Now is the time to go back to the core and take the gained knowledge to our roots. Pass it on to the next generation, identify the next Young Talents and redefine the rules once again. Let the journey begin!”

– Markus Flossmann, CEO

|

12/21/2018 3:39 AM

A pretty incredible entry into World Cup Racing! It sounds like they won’t have a team at all next year though.

|

12/21/2018 4:56 AM

Neko and the Mob are done.

|

12/21/2018 5:12 AM

So Gwin asked for too much. Got it.

|

12/21/2018 5:17 AM

YT / Seagraves for 2019??

|

12/21/2018 5:22 AM

ck85 wrote:

YT / Seagraves for 2019??

They are confirmed to stay on Transition for 2019?

|

12/21/2018 5:23 AM

baronKanon wrote:

They are confirmed to stay on Transition for 2019?

Didn't know that ?

|

12/21/2018 5:23 AM

jimmypop wrote:

YT is the one that pulled the plug, it wasn't Gwin asking for too much.

|

I'm hungry.

12/21/2018 5:51 AM

jimmypop wrote:

TRex wrote:

He was asking too much!

I‘m sure the team will still be on the circus next year but only with Angel, maybe together with another „young talent“ if they can get someone...

|

12/21/2018 5:56 AM

Mayhem media said, "Going to be an intense winter getting used to a new bike" on Neko's post. Not sure if they know something we don't or just stirring stuff up.

|

12/21/2018 6:24 AM

Brandongoebel96 wrote:

Mayhem media said, "Going to be an intense winter getting used to a new bike" on Neko's post. Not sure if they know something we don't or just stirring stuff up.

they're playing along with these #reamtumors

|

12/21/2018 6:55 AM

jimmypop wrote:

TRex wrote:

Makes sense. Gwin proved that YT's are capable of winning a WC and the WC overall. YT got what they needed out of the arrangement. No need to pay the most expensive guy on the circuit anymore when they have the market validation they sought - not just a cool, cheaper bike, but a winning bike too.

|

12/21/2018 7:11 AM

General team question: My understanding is the Syndicate is Rob Roskopp's team right? SC along with everyone else sponsors that team (obviously the connection with Rob and SC makes that a extremely tight relationship). I am guessing Rob doesn't have the Syndicate team to make money. He sets the budget and that's that for the team, who knows maybe even runs the team at a loss, because he likes DH and owning a team - it's fun for him. Shit if I was a rich guy owning a DH team would be a blast.

Are there any other teams like that? Where there is a wealthy team owner who helps put together the sponsors but is really the financial backer of the team?

Maybe I am way off here...

|

12/21/2018 7:25 AM

MPH24 wrote:

General team question: My understanding is the Syndicate is Rob Roskopp's team right? SC along with everyone else sponsors that team (obviously the connection with Rob and SC makes that a extremely tight relationship). I am guessing Rob doesn't have the Syndicate team to make money. He sets the budget and that's that for the team, who knows maybe even runs the team at a loss, because he likes DH and owning a team - it's fun for him. Shit if I was a rich guy owning a DH team would be a blast.

Are there any other teams like that? Where there is a wealthy team owner who helps put together the sponsors but is really the financial backer of the team?

You're not way off, there are lots of ways to look at it. I doubt V10 frames paid for the Syndicate. The Bronsons did, the Nomads did years back, the Blurs did. Santa Cruz, like many other brands, wanted to make themselves look cool. Maybe it was just a love of owning a team. Maybe it was developing a better DH bike, maybe it was learning and developing better trail bikes. There are many ways to slice it. I'd bet that most DH teams are a 'loss'. It is how they use that image to sell the bikes that really make them money, the Stumpy's, the Fuels, the Trances, Patrols and Mach 5's. All those bikes pay for those DH teams. The grey area is how much is it worth to the team owner.

|

I'm hungry.

12/21/2018 7:28 AM

I know a lot of people think Gwin is going to Intense but I can't ignore the fact that Trek will have a huge personality and bank roll void if rumors are true about Athertons. Especially cause Intense has other riders. In the end it comes down to which package Gwin and Neko like the best. I also think people in the know (aka not the general fan base) wouldn't drop hints about Gwin signing with s specific band, they'd put comments out there to throw us off.

Also Neko's post about testing bikes, hanging behind the bike is a large, crumpled up sign of him (?) on a Trek... The photo is extra wide and includes the bike on the sign... And it's a Trek.

|

12/21/2018 7:31 AM

Here's that Neko post.

|

12/21/2018 7:44 AM

MPH24 wrote:

TRex wrote:

You're not way off, there are lots of ways to look at it. I doubt V10 frames paid for the Syndicate. The Bronsons did, the Nomads did years back, the Blurs did. Santa Cruz, like many other brands, wanted to make themselves look cool. Maybe it was just a love of owning a team. Maybe it was developing a better DH bike, maybe it was learning and developing better trail bikes. There are many ways to slice it. I'd bet that most DH teams are a 'loss'. It is how they use that image to sell the bikes that really make them money, the Stumpy's, the Fuels, the Trances, Patrols and Mach 5's. All those bikes pay for those DH teams. The grey area is how much is it worth to the team owner.

No doubt its a marketing play for the brands... I was more saying the Syndicate, for example, gets $1.0m in revenue from Sponsors (i.e. SC, Fox, etc.) but the team spends $1.2m between travel, salaries, etc. and Roskopp just picks up the tab on the difference because he enjoys owning a team and being a part of it.

|

12/21/2018 7:44 AM

I don't think it was YT that cut Aaron and Neko, but I'm thinking it was something between them and Martin Whitley.. Unless YT said they were cutting back what they were willing to spend and those are 2 big checks no longer getting signed..

I still can't see the two of them on Intense.. I heard the price Gwin was shopping around was 500k for him, Neko, and John Hall... And most likely a multi-year deal.. I don't think Intense has that money unless what someone said a few pages back is true and Intense has some outside money coming in... Aaron is most likely bringing some Fox, TRP, and Onza money to the table...

Still, it will be interesting to see who ends up where..

|

12/21/2018 8:23 AM

MPH24 wrote:

I think most teams just hope to break even at best... but, there is marketing and product development value to the team...

Santa Cruz was smart in letting the guys pick up individual clothing sponsors.. Let the riders find a little more money ...

|

12/21/2018 9:53 AM

bikerfilmerboy wrote:

Here's that Neko post.

You can't tell me this Trek banner wasn't deliberate. Look at the wrinkles! That thing hasn't seen the light of day in some time. Intense? Trek? Either way, I respect a good troll.

|

12/21/2018 9:57 AM

Brian_Peterson wrote:

I don't think it was YT that cut Aaron and Neko, but I'm thinking it was something between them and Martin Whitley.. Unless YT said they were cutting back what they were willing to spend and those are 2 big checks no longer getting signed..

I still can't see the two of them on Intense.. I heard the price Gwin was shopping around was 500k for him, Neko, and John Hall... And most likely a multi-year deal.. I don't think Intense has that money unless what someone said a few pages back is true and Intense has some outside money coming in... Aaron is most likely bringing some Fox, TRP, and Onza money to the table...

Still, it will be interesting to see who ends up where..

Got to be more than that. Troy is getting something like 550 Euros from Canyon just for him. I am assuming that Gwin was asking up words of 7 figures, and regardless of what we think he feels like he is worth that.

|

12/21/2018 10:23 AM

Gwin has been asking $1.4m

|

12/21/2018 10:31 AM

MPH24 wrote:

TRex wrote:

MPH24 wrote:

No doubt its a marketing play for the brands... I was more saying the Syndicate, for example, gets $1.0m in revenue from Sponsors (i.e. SC, Fox, etc.) but the team spends $1.2m between travel, salaries, etc. and Roskopp just picks up the tab on the difference because he enjoys owning a team and being a part of it.

ONE MILLION DOLLARS FROM SPONSORS!!! I think you are way off with that my friend...is more like SC pay salaries and trips and obviously gives the frames that the team needs...and whatever money Fox ask for a full year of service, which is not like the same kind of money as other "non sponsored" team...and then they get free equipment or money from the other sponsors...
but talking about million dollars coming from sponsors...not even in motorsport unfortunately

|

12/21/2018 10:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2018 10:55 AM

depeche4 wrote:

Got to be more than that. Troy is getting something like 550 Euros from Canyon just for him. I am assuming that Gwin was asking up words of 7 figures, and regardless of what we think he feels like he is worth that.

dang. troy is cheap! only 550 euros? HAHAHA

|

12/21/2018 11:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2018 11:18 AM

oskimtb wrote:

ONE MILLION DOLLARS FROM SPONSORS!!! I think you are way off with that my friend...is more like SC pay salaries and trips and obviously gives the frames that the team needs...and whatever money Fox ask for a full year of service, which is not like the same kind of money as other "non sponsored" team...and then they get free equipment or money from the other sponsors...
but talking about million dollars coming from sponsors...not even in motorsport unfortunately

I'm just tossing out an number... Let's not freak out. I am also looking at that money as total spend for the team which includes riders, manager, mechanics, physio, travel, food, vehicles, and other logistics.

It's probably not that far off for the Syndicate with GM and two top 10 riders (one top 5). If Gwin and Neko, are asking $500K, I bet the Syndicate is close or more - GM isn't doing this for 25K per year. Plus you figure support staff of 5 others, you're probably pushing $750K at that point. Then you got to pay the Silverback (Sven isn't cheap.. haha) and all of the other media stuff for team videos and what not. Travel and lodging for all of those people for the WCs plus other events and training. I am willing to be this adds up cheap and the Syndicate isn't exactly trying to skimp by... there's a reason most teams don't have 3 guys who are legit shots for the top step at every race.

Lastly, my point was that is it the Syndicate that is a business (i.e. team) owned by Rob and the sponsors provide money and resources to that team vs. the Syndicate being an SCB "department."

Edit: If troy is at 550, maybe the budget is 2m... haha

|

12/21/2018 11:38 AM

Reece Wilson and Charlie Harrison to Trek

Gwin, Neko, Moir on Intense

|

12/21/2018 11:41 AM

It would've been entirely worth it for three separate threads to have been started this offseason:
2019 Racing Rumors (sans Gwin & Neko), New Bike Rumors, and Shall It Be Gwintense, Or Just Keep Trekking?

|

12/21/2018 11:59 AM

Dickscruttock wrote:

Gwin has been asking $1.4m

1.4 for a 3 year deal would be inline with what I've heard... I doubt he would ask that for one year... He knows he would be out of work...

|

12/21/2018 12:10 PM

Caleb_Norman wrote:

It would've been entirely worth it for three separate threads to have been started this offseason:
2019 Racing Rumors (sans Gwin & Neko), New Bike Rumors, and Shall It Be Gwintense, Or Just Keep Trekking?

I'd be very shocked if Gwin wasn't riding a KHS frame next year

|