2019 Racing Rumors

Create New Tag

12/13/2018 2:52 PM

pdon wrote:

The Reece Wilson to Trek thing seems to be gaining some steam on la bicicleta rosado.

It would seem to me if Trek does indeed part ways with the Athertons, they probably have another rider up their sleeve. Swapping the Athertons for Reece Wilson doesn't seem worth it for such a big company. I bet there is another shoe to drop.

Oz_Taylor wrote:

Kade and Reece. Not sure who else they would need. Maybe a female rider?

they still have Charlie Hatton who's no slouch on a bike in anyway.

Wilson, Hatton and Edwards is a pretty solid young team with a huge ceiling.

|

12/13/2018 4:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2018 4:08 PM

RiderMikeCheck1 wrote:

Another thing to consider with Gwin moving to Intense...
-He obviously will only be racing on a 29er and Intense's is said to be quite good.
-Company in his backyard, able to fab and test stuff quickly for him, which is important because:
-In the YT DH Bike ver 2.0 release videos Gwin said that there were some other 'radical' (high pivot point?) suspension layouts they talked about but he wanted to keep it simple and the same (also to speed up development time).But this was BEFORE the Commencal high pivot bike started bitch-slapping the field. I'm sure Jeff could whip up some high pivot idler M1s for Gwin to try very quickly--as in already, if he did actually sign with them.

I don’t think the Commencal bitch slapped anyone. A young, capable and fearless rider filled the void Gwin left due to injury. I don’t think suspension design, or wheel size for that matter, had anything to do with Pierron’s success.

Also, I don’t think anyone can say how good or bad the YT 29er is/was. Gwin was clearly fighting his injury and struggling to find the limit of the 29 tires. The frame can’t help either of those things.

|

12/13/2018 6:03 PM

RiderMikeCheck1 wrote:

-He obviously will only be racing on a 29er and Intense's is said to be quite good.
-Company in his backyard, able to fab and test stuff quickly for him, which is important because:
-In the YT DH Bike ver 2.0 release videos Gwin said that there were some other 'radical' (high pivot point?) suspension layouts they talked about but he wanted to keep it simple and the same (also to speed up development time).But this was BEFORE the Commencal high pivot bike started bitch-slapping the field. I'm sure Jeff could whip up some high pivot idler M1s for Gwin to try very quickly--as in already, if he did actually sign with them.

Erotomania90 wrote:

I don’t think the Commencal bitch slapped anyone. A young, capable and fearless rider filled the void Gwin left due to injury. I don’t think suspension design, or wheel size for that matter, had anything to do with Pierron’s success.

Also, I don’t think anyone can say how good or bad the YT 29er is/was. Gwin was clearly fighting his injury and struggling to find the limit of the 29 tires. The frame can’t help either of those things.

There were other guys further down the standing who seemed to be riding much better this year on that bike. I think a number of other teams riders commented over the year how that bike just seemed to work.

|

12/13/2018 6:22 PM

RiderMikeCheck1 wrote:

Erotomania90 wrote:

Amaury beat a healthy gwin, so no void was filled, the season was his to take and he did it.

|

12/13/2018 8:22 PM

Erotomania90 wrote:

I'm making the bitch-slap comment tongue in cheek. I know it is the rider first and foremost. But don't think the hot bike right now isn't HPP. A lot of the other riders are looking at that bike and wanting one. And Gwin was in a recent video saying he could never go back to 27.5 after being on a 29er. So that's a done deal.

|

12/13/2018 8:26 PM

RiderMikeCheck1 wrote:

Erotomania90 wrote:

mfoga wrote:

There were other guys further down the standing who seemed to be riding much better this year on that bike. I think a number of other teams riders commented over the year how that bike just seemed to work.

A bike working good and it bitch slapping the field are two very different things.
If you really believe the bike is the reason Amaury went on a tear through the season, i really don´t know what to tell you other than you´re wrong.
The guy has a lot of talent, the field was kinda struck by injury as a lot of top guys were battling some drawn out injuries for the whole season and he´s on a program that seems to be doing a lot of things right in developing their riders. All these factors come together to make the overall win a reality.
Assuming it´s solely down to the bikes performance is neglecting so many other obvious factors.
Also while he did win the season, he didn´t bitch slap anyone.
It wasn´t that dominant really. Amaury simply had a good run for a few races and was able to capitalize on that.
This is downhill racing. Not a lot of guys have made a win streak last for a significant amount of time as the sport is way too unpredictable and there´s a fine line between winning and being out for the season. So the top spot is really much more about keeping it together for a whole season at top speed while the competition takes themselves out.
A bike that is 2 seconds faster than its competition won´t win you the overall. A fast AND consistent rider will do that.
The Commencal has also been around for a while, so it´s "dominance" would only be down to the increase in wheelsize, which we should have realized by now is nowhere near the factor everyone made it out to be, as the wheelsize was the only real change in its design.

Also Intense won´t be slapping together a high pivot bike for Gwin.
They are firmly invested in promoting the merrits of VPP. Equipping the dh-bike with a different suspension layout would be counter productive to their sales efforts.

|

12/13/2018 9:05 PM

Erotomania90 wrote:

mfoga wrote:

Loki87 wrote:

A bike working good and it bitch slapping the field are two very different things.
If you really believe the bike is the reason Amaury went on a tear through the season, i really don´t know what to tell you other than you´re wrong.
The guy has a lot of talent, the field was kinda struck by injury as a lot of top guys were battling some drawn out injuries for the whole season and he´s on a program that seems to be doing a lot of things right in developing their riders. All these factors come together to make the overall win a reality.
Assuming it´s solely down to the bikes performance is neglecting so many other obvious factors.
It wasn´t that dominant really. Amaury simply had a good run for a few races and was able to capitalize on that.
This is downhill racing. Not a lot of guys have made a win streak last for a significant amount of time as the sport is way too unpredictable and there´s a fine line between winning and being out for the season. So the top spot is really much more about keeping it together for a whole season at top speed while the competition takes themselves out.
A bike that is 2 seconds faster than its competition won´t win you the overall. A fast AND consistent rider will do that.
The Commencal has also been around for a while, so it´s "dominance" would only be down to the increase in wheelsize, which we should have realized by now is nowhere near the factor everyone made it out to be, as the wheelsize was the only real change in its design.

They are firmly invested in promoting the merrits of VPP. Equipping the dh-bike with a different suspension layout would be counter productive to their sales efforts.

Amaury had an amazing season, and definitely deserved his victories.

That being said, the Commencal Supreme 29er was over represented in World Cup results. There was definitely something going on. (I suspect its simply the combination of one of the most progressive geometries on the circuit, 29er wheels, and high pivot point). I can't recall which video, but there is a video where Rob Warner talks about this. (Someone who remembers what video this is, please link it).

|

12/13/2018 11:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2018 11:56 PM

May I add that, in addition to having a killer bike, the Commencal Vallnord - Riding Addiction team also just happened to be on it in terms of organization and strategy this year. It was pretty clear as early as the preseason that they already had a plan in mind and it was executed perfectly in 2018.

Getting Daprela and Pierron into the team was a fantastic first step. They also chose the right sponsors (SRAM and Spank, in particular) and training regimens for all their riders. Unlike other teams which were scrambling to get a 29" DH frankenbike ready to race (with retrofitted parts in some cases), Commencal was ready almost at the onset. All the riders seemed like they could come back from injuries more easily than most, and their mental game was also on point. The team, all the way down to the mechanics and physios, reportedly keep a relaxed atmosphere in the pits as well but are absolutely professional and motivated. Even some of the team members' parents are closely involved, cooking them meals and helping out with whatever.

It's not just the bike and rider when pretty much the team overall overachieved in 2018.

|

12/14/2018 2:49 AM

Verbl Kint wrote:

May I add that, in addition to having a killer bike, the Commencal Vallnord - Riding Addiction team also just happened to be on it in terms of organization and strategy this year. It was pretty clear as early as the preseason that they already had a plan in mind and it was executed perfectly in 2018.

Getting Daprela and Pierron into the team was a fantastic first step. They also chose the right sponsors (SRAM and Spank, in particular) and training regimens for all their riders. Unlike other teams which were scrambling to get a 29" DH frankenbike ready to race (with retrofitted parts in some cases), Commencal was ready almost at the onset. All the riders seemed like they could come back from injuries more easily than most, and their mental game was also on point. The team, all the way down to the mechanics and physios, reportedly keep a relaxed atmosphere in the pits as well but are absolutely professional and motivated. Even some of the team members' parents are closely involved, cooking them meals and helping out with whatever.

It's not just the bike and rider when pretty much the team overall overachieved in 2018.

The team might have 'chosen' a couple of sponsors, but many of their partners ended up being brands who ended up having budget left late into the off-season.

|

12/14/2018 4:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2018 4:21 AM

Erotomania90 wrote:

mfoga wrote:

Loki87 wrote:

man, the "bitch slap" wording is obviously tongue in cheek, and is 100% accurate - however much you read it differently. So much so that Norco developed their bike due to Sam wanting something similar after trying the Commencal - and lo and behold, the Norco has gotten stellar reviews as well.

All the points you make are fair to be sure - arguing against "it is the rider, not the bike" is kinda redundant - but a stellar bike sure doesn't hurt either (which is all the "bitch slap" comment probably was meant to convey). There are a lot of good bikes on the market right now, but if you follow the DH scene and have not caught on to all the buzz surrounding the current iteration of Commencal's 29'er, then... The Commencal was -Syndicate or Intense buzz notwithstanding - THE bike of the 2018 season. That the two Commencal teams also chose the right riders and the right approach is also beyond any doubt, but this is the case of talented riders, a well run program AND a stellar bike going on to do great things. The one did not cause the other, but then again, but they all occurred at the same time - and as they say, success breeds success. Saying anything else is either willfully misrepresenting the point being made or arguing which is the more important (a point the OP never made, some straw man-ish)

|

12/14/2018 8:09 AM

mfoga wrote:

Loki87 wrote:

Klink du Kul wrote:

man, the "bitch slap" wording is obviously tongue in cheek, and is 100% accurate - however much you read it differently. So much so that Norco developed their bike due to Sam wanting something similar after trying the Commencal - and lo and behold, the Norco has gotten stellar reviews as well.

All the points you make are fair to be sure - arguing against "it is the rider, not the bike" is kinda redundant - but a stellar bike sure doesn't hurt either (which is all the "bitch slap" comment probably was meant to convey). There are a lot of good bikes on the market right now, but if you follow the DH scene and have not caught on to all the buzz surrounding the current iteration of Commencal's 29'er, then... The Commencal was -Syndicate or Intense buzz notwithstanding - THE bike of the 2018 season. That the two Commencal teams also chose the right riders and the right approach is also beyond any doubt, but this is the case of talented riders, a well run program AND a stellar bike going on to do great things. The one did not cause the other, but then again, but they all occurred at the same time - and as they say, success breeds success. Saying anything else is either willfully misrepresenting the point being made or arguing which is the more important (a point the OP never made, some straw man-ish)

I know we’re straying off topic, but I can’t leave it alone. The Commencal is a sweet ride, and I personally like everything about it. You’re still giving it more credit than it deserves. Danny Hart’s Myst was, IMO, consistently the most dialed bike all season. That didn’t land him the best season, and people aren’t raving about the myst being the best race bike out there. Riders dominate a season, not a bike. When it comes to the bikes, I think the riders ability to tune the bike makes a larger impact than the frame & suspension design. This is true of all forms of racing as well.

|

12/14/2018 9:04 AM

Please god oh please can we just get back on topic. So much irrelevance here. YOUR OPINIONS ARE VALUELESS.

|

12/14/2018 9:56 AM

Brayton maybe?

|

12/14/2018 10:15 AM

Klink du Kul wrote:

"So much so that Norco developed their bike due to Sam wanting something similar after trying the Commencal - and lo and behold, the Norco has gotten stellar reviews as well"

I don't think that's true because Norco's previous designer, Owen Pemberton, was messing with HPP idler setups years ago.

This was Jan 2016, for instance:

FWIW, Owen is now doing Forbidden bikes and bringing an HPP design to the trail market.

|

MRP - Brand Manager
Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

12/14/2018 10:32 AM

Hyperpower! wrote:

Brayton maybe?

99% sure it is! Brayton’s Mrs, Meg White, has liked the post!

|

12/14/2018 11:13 AM

bstens wrote:

Please god oh please can we just get back on topic. So much irrelevance here. YOUR OPINIONS ARE VALUELESS.

...and POINTLESS

|

12/14/2018 11:54 AM

Jordi from fox in Sedona, doing “oe” testing, Sebastian and Colin (giant team mechanics) are there with him

|

12/14/2018 12:23 PM

I know what the opinion about being off-topic is, but i need to say this. Intense is not running VPP anymore. The newer bikes have a VPP-like suspension layout, optimised by Cesar Rojo (Cero/Unno fame). Similar, but not branded VPP anymore.

If anyone will be saying 'yeah, but it's a virtual pivot point, which is in the name', well... Then Specialized made all ther full suspension frames as VPPs. And the new GTs are as well. And Scotts, And Giants. Should i continue?

|

12/14/2018 12:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2018 1:00 PM

bstens wrote:

I dunno - thread drift is pretty much par for the course on forums, and some rabbit holes does provide some information/gain for some - if not all - users. Taking the good with the bad is also par for the course and pretty standard etiquette, and people's incessant moaning about what they think or does not think constitutes "on topic" in a racing rumors thread is imho pretty petty. And lister_yu - thanks for the meaningful contribution to you too.

source Blenki reference: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-resurgence-of-high-pivot-suspension-design.html

And yes, I am quite aware of the tinkering with various idlers and whatnot from Norco over the years. I've enjoyed the linkage design blogspot of Antonio since before it became a thing, and am very , very intrigued by various suspension designs. But since apparently the merits of different bike designs, or indeed bike developments / protos are outside what constitutes a racing rumor...

carry on. I guess it has been too long since somebody spread a rumor with absolutely no source or logic.

And in closing - these are the parameters set forth by the OP:

"It is time to start spouting out the 2019 team rumors, especially with the last couple topics posted in the 2018 thread (Vital member, MPH, asking if Warner just eluded to Vergier leaving Syndicate).

This is the ultimate real or fake gossip center about professional mountain bike racers, teams and who will be running what.

Ready? Set? Spray!"

If that gives you a very clear boundary of what is on or off topic, then your reading comprehensions skills might be better than mine - because I read that as "all things racing are on topic" - also giving the distinct impression that all contributions are welcome (especially given the "running what" part). So until the OP says otherwise (where i am of the impression that they like it when people generate hits on their site while being friendly and trying to be helpful) I hope the topic will remain pretty broad and tolerant

Happy trails

Primoz: good post - I think Cesar's input has helped mitigate some of the inherent issues with traditional VPP designs, as SC also did when they changed what link drives the shock.

|

12/14/2018 1:30 PM

Primoz wrote:

I know what the opinion about being off-topic is, but i need to say this. Intense is not running VPP anymore. The newer bikes have a VPP-like suspension layout, optimised by Cesar Rojo (Cero/Unno fame). Similar, but not branded VPP anymore.

If anyone will be saying 'yeah, but it's a virtual pivot point, which is in the name', well... Then Specialized made all ther full suspension frames as VPPs. And the new GTs are as well. And Scotts, And Giants. Should i continue?

Thats because the VPP patent has expired a few years ago and its now branded JS Tuned. Next.

|

12/14/2018 1:39 PM

Could be just smoke and mirrors, but I spotted this a couple of days ago (before I realised I didn’t have a Vital account and was just a lurker)...

|

12/14/2018 1:44 PM

Verbl Kint wrote:

Is it just me, or are taking a subtle shot at the Syndicate and suggesting it's not a well-run team?

Also, regarding VPP, could it be that the VPP patent expired and, since everyone could use it, Intense decided to tweak it more to their liking, without having an obligation towards Santa Cruz anymore?

|

12/14/2018 4:09 PM

Taylor Vernon not tagging Unno and vice versa. No sponsors written in his Instagram title either.
Unno left with an opening position? Or just running with Greg Williamson for next year?

|

12/14/2018 4:13 PM

Hyperpower! wrote:

Brayton maybe?

Its Sam Hill

|

12/14/2018 4:16 PM

Hyperpower! wrote:

Brayton maybe?

stringbean wrote:

Its Sam Hill

No AVS brushguards

|

12/14/2018 6:20 PM

Hyperpower! wrote:

Brayton maybe?

stringbean wrote:

Its Sam Hill

ride wrote:

No AVS brushguards

its definitively not mr muscles ...

|

12/15/2018 1:42 AM

Since we seem to be on the Commencal topic, here's a nice series of short edits to get to know the riders a bit better. Some important questions being asked like " Beer vs. Gin Tonic" or "Tinder vs. Instagram":

|

12/15/2018 12:55 PM

Canadianatheart wrote:

Could be just smoke and mirrors, but I spotted this a couple of days ago (before I realised I didn’t have a Vital account and was just a lurker)...

This is somewhat odd, but also some parts fall into place. The Athertons and Fabien Barell did NOT get along for quite some time, yet oddly enough Fabien started commenting on Gee and Rachels posts on social media. And we all know that Fabien is deeply involved in the Canyon program. And here we have Rachel commenting on Canyons road bike post. Very interesting indeed. BUT, Troy Brosnan cant stand the Athertons... specifically Gee, likely because of his friendship with Sam Hill who does NOT like Gee. So... is there going to be a new Canyon Atherton squad on the horizon? Or did the Athertons and Fabien decide to all act like adults and be nice to eachother? Very Interesting permutations... is Troy on his way to another team?

|

12/15/2018 1:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2018 1:53 PM

Mablung wrote:

This is somewhat odd, but also some parts fall into place. The Athertons and Fabien Barell did NOT get along for quite some time, yet oddly enough Fabien started commenting on Gee and Rachels posts on social media. And we all know that Fabien is deeply involved in the Canyon program. And here we have Rachel commenting on Canyons road bike post. Very interesting indeed. BUT, Troy Brosnan cant stand the Athertons... specifically Gee, likely because of his friendship with Sam Hill who does NOT like Gee. So... is there going to be a new Canyon Atherton squad on the horizon? Or did the Athertons and Fabien decide to all act like adults and be nice to eachother? Very Interesting permutations... is Troy on his way to another team?

Maybe two Canyon squads? Canyon runs SRAM/RockShox gear and Mavic wheels on their team and the Athertons have long been with Fox and Shimano...Maybe they will just be Sponsored for frames and have their own sponsors for the other stuff...
And also, are they really off Hope components? because since Brayton is rumored to go to Nukeproof, that could mean that they could get a similar deal has he had until 2018...

They could try to do the same as Gwin did when he started the YT MOB...Canyon frame, Hope components and wheels, maybe stay with Fox for suspension or maybe go with Ohlins, or DVO (since giant is rumored to go with Fox for next season)....

|

12/15/2018 1:57 PM

Canadianatheart wrote:

Mablung wrote:

paulinhorula wrote:

Maybe two Canyon squads? Canyon runs SRAM/RockShox gear and Mavic wheels on their team and the Athertons have long been with Fox and Shimano...Maybe they will just be Sponsored for frames and have their own sponsors for the other stuff...
And also, are they really off Hope components? because since Brayton is rumored to go to Nukeproof, that could mean that they could get a similar deal has he had until 2018...

They could try to do the same as Gwin did when he started the YT MOB...Canyon frame, Hope components and wheels, maybe stay with Fox for suspension or maybe go with Ohlins, or DVO (since giant is rumored to go with Fox for next season)....

Yeah, Athertons off of Hope for sure, there is buzz that they both have a beef with eachother. Nobody that knows will say exactly how it started or whose fault, but no matter... Hope is off the A train. I cannot see Athertons not being Fox though, no way. Drivetrain wise... its all up for grabs in my opinion. Canyon looks to be a good ride, Id like to see that happen with the Athertons.

|