2019 Racing Rumors

Create New Tag

12/4/2018 8:52 PM

dmcd38 wrote:

next year, at this time, we will be talking about Bruni moving to the Syndicate after Greg retires for sure

Kathy Sessler, in a recent interview (think it was a podcast), when asked about which rider she would pick for the syndicate if she had the chance to choose anyone, she said "for sure Loic Bruni".

I bet that would be the case for 95% of team managers.

|

12/5/2018 1:44 AM

Heard some from the mouth truth about Intense today, Going to be a new era for sure!

|

12/5/2018 3:04 AM

captaindouche wrote:

The Athertons have been dropped by hope for unprofessional behaviour.

Turns out it is not a good idea calling in sick for a meet the pros day organised by hope, which at least one of athertons was contractually obliged to attend. Only to then be seen on Instagram the very same day riding in wales.

Renthal are only interested in Kade, the marketing manager is a friend of Kade's dad the former mbuk pinner Tom Edwards



Dickscruttock wrote:

Plenty more to that one than just that with regards Hope!

Also a great way to appease your sponsor is flogging a tonne of their kit on eBay....

|

12/5/2018 3:49 AM

Banana Hammock wrote:

Also a great way to appease your sponsor is flogging a tonne of their kit on eBay....

Link?

|

12/5/2018 7:27 AM

dmcd38 wrote:

next year, at this time, we will be talking about Bruni moving to the Syndicate after Greg retires for sure

Kathy Sessler, in a recent interview (think it was a podcast), when asked about which rider she would pick for the syndicate if she had the chance to choose anyone, she said "for sure Loic Bruni".

Loic had mentioned several times in the past (even during his stint with Blenki in LaPierre) that he grew up with posters of the Syndicate on his walls.

|

12/5/2018 7:44 AM

Interested to see what if anything happens with auto sponsorships next season. I believe Jolanda Neff has some sort of Ford Europe endorsement, she used to post stuff about her mustang a fair bit.



|

12/5/2018 8:17 AM

Not really world cup related but Martin Soderstrom and Hannah Barnes both are sponsored by BMW for their X3 and X5's

|

2017 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR expert 29er
2015 Specialized Camber Comp Custom Build

12/5/2018 9:07 AM

Are the Atherton's still with Jeep? They always seem to have vehical sponsor as well all the way back to animal/commencal with nissan

|

12/5/2018 9:11 AM

metadave wrote:

Are the Atherton's still with Jeep? They always seem to have vehical sponsor as well all the way back to animal/commencal with nissan

Think they left Jeep end of last year

|

12/5/2018 9:27 AM

metadave wrote:

Are the Atherton's still with Jeep? They always seem to have vehical sponsor as well all the way back to animal/commencal with nissan

danposs86 wrote:

Think they left Jeep end of last year

The did. I believe this past year they had no vehicle sponsor.

|

12/5/2018 10:03 AM

captaindouche wrote:

The Athertons have been dropped by hope for unprofessional behaviour.

Turns out it is not a good idea calling in sick for a meet the pros day organised by hope, which at least one of athertons was contractually obliged to attend. Only to then be seen on Instagram the very same day riding in wales.

Renthal are only interested in Kade, the marketing manager is a friend of Kade's dad the former mbuk pinner Tom Edwards



Dickscruttock wrote:

Plenty more to that one than just that with regards Hope!

Banana Hammock wrote:

Also a great way to appease your sponsor is flogging a tonne of their kit on eBay....

Geesus

|

12/5/2018 11:52 AM

watchcwgo wrote:

Interested to see what if anything happens with auto sponsorships next season. I believe Jolanda Neff has some sort of Ford Europe endorsement, she used to post stuff about her mustang a fair bit.



Ford has serious troubles with sale numbers in Europe so not sure if they are going to throw some fat cash into the sport. Also they basically have no car to promote on European market... we do not do trucks and with ongoing (and stupid) ban on diesel cars, not so many options.

|

12/5/2018 1:30 PM

Diesel aren't going anywhere for the forseeable future, regardless of the politicians saying so.

As for Europe, we are getting the Ranger Raptor besides having the Ranger for years. How is that not marketable to the DH crowd?

Though, personally, i'd be much more partial to a Focus RS Estate. With a tow hitch for a bike carrier of course

|

12/5/2018 2:11 PM

Wrong thread - I know it has not been made explicitly clear but this one is for rāsiNG ro͞omərs..... Come on....we have a good streak going.

So what is this about Gwin on an Intense frame fitted with Hope parts purchased from ebay UK? Gee, I wonder if they at least gave him free shipping.

|

12/5/2018 6:03 PM

DubC wrote:

Wrong thread - I know it has not been made explicitly clear but this one is for rāsiNG ro͞omərs..... Come on....we have a good streak going.

So what is this about Gwin on an Intense frame fitted with Hope parts purchased from ebay UK? Gee, I wonder if they at least gave him free shipping.

Subtle!

|

12/5/2018 6:18 PM

Rachel’s all over Instagram w the polygon team

|

12/6/2018 1:17 AM

Levizbrown wrote:

Rachel’s all over Instagram w the polygon team

Yup, also with Sam Pilgrim. Rachel to Haibike?!

|

12/6/2018 1:34 AM

Levizbrown wrote:

Rachel’s all over Instagram w the polygon team

Only see a single post with the Polygon/Marin riders

|

12/6/2018 1:50 AM

Levizbrown wrote:

Rachel’s all over Instagram w the polygon team

GMBN Christmas Dirt Shed?

|

12/6/2018 2:32 AM

Hmmm

|

12/6/2018 2:47 AM

Maybe they are just really wanting to big up the new team because people may be feeling a little deflated?

|

12/6/2018 3:39 AM

JerseyMojo wrote:

Hmmm

Trekfactorydh is Atherton Racing, not necessarily Trek Bikes They will still be the same IG account next year, maybe with a new handle

|

12/6/2018 4:36 AM

baronKanon wrote:

Trekfactorydh is Atherton Racing, not necessarily Trek Bikes They will still be the same IG account next year, maybe with a new handle

Yes, Marinfactorydh.

|

12/6/2018 5:50 AM

Not exactly a racing rumor but Jeff Lenosky is off Giant in 2019.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZiXIAyQFpw

|

12/6/2018 6:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2018 6:25 AM

Levizbrown wrote:

Rachel’s all over Instagram w the polygon team

danposs86 wrote:

GMBN Christmas Dirt Shed?

Every year GMBN has a christmas edition Dirt Shed Show special. They invite a bunch of big names from the UK and around the world.
Rob Warner being there means there isn't any team relations to be had.

As for the Athertons to Marin, I find it really had to believe that they will 1) have the budget for such a large operation, having no recent DH or even high ranking Enduro team. They only have a few individuals with their own sponsors and contacts. And 2) go to a team without a downhill bike. The closest thing they have is a wolf ridge and that is on the complete opposite end of the downhill demon spectrum.

|

2017 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR expert 29er
2015 Specialized Camber Comp Custom Build

12/6/2018 6:47 AM

Broken_spoke.photo wrote:

Every year GMBN has a christmas edition Dirt Shed Show special. They invite a bunch of big names from the UK and around the world.
Rob Warner being there means there isn't any team relations to be had.

As for the Athertons to Marin, I find it really had to believe that they will 1) have the budget for such a large operation, having no recent DH or even high ranking Enduro team. They only have a few individuals with their own sponsors and contacts. And 2) go to a team without a downhill bike. The closest thing they have is a wolf ridge and that is on the complete opposite end of the downhill demon spectrum.

Maybe the Athertons are having a harder time getting paid what they want from the larger companies. In other words, the Trek, Spec, etc. of the worlds think they are past their prime. Whether that is fair, true, or rachel is thinking about retiring is not something I am debating.

Anyway, I would love if this was the case and see Gee and Rachel come into the season and do some real damage. Rachel is Rachel, but Gee was looking damn good at the end of the year after all the injuries and I feel like he can be in podium mix. Be great if he was all pissed with the "no one believed in me" mentality because none of the big brands would give him a shot.

|

12/6/2018 7:41 AM

mtbAndy wrote:

Not exactly a racing rumor but Jeff Lenosky is off Giant in 2019.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZiXIAyQFpw

Wow! He's been with Giant for a long time.

...back to Schwinn??

|

12/6/2018 8:07 AM

Levizbrown wrote:

Rachel’s all over Instagram w the polygon team

danposs86 wrote:

GMBN Christmas Dirt Shed?

Broken_spoke.photo wrote:

Every year GMBN has a christmas edition Dirt Shed Show special. They invite a bunch of big names from the UK and around the world.
Rob Warner being there means there isn't any team relations to be had.

As for the Athertons to Marin, I find it really had to believe that they will 1) have the budget for such a large operation, having no recent DH or even high ranking Enduro team. They only have a few individuals with their own sponsors and contacts. And 2) go to a team without a downhill bike. The closest thing they have is a wolf ridge and that is on the complete opposite end of the downhill demon spectrum.

This has been stated numerous times now.
The Athertons are a perfect opportunity for a company to enter the market.
They have development capabilities, offer an established team structure, a well known name, a dominant female rider and a male rider with more accomplishments than most on the circuit who showed signs of strength towards the end of the season.
As for a bike, apparently Marin and Polygon are connected. They also use the same suspension layout, so Marin riders using a XSquxxxonetwothreeDH would be perfectly reasonable from a marketing standpoint. Casuals just wouldn´t care. I don´t know what kind of money Marin is able to throw at the project, but they sure could throw together a dh-frame design based on the Polygon easily
Depending on the offers the Athertons had on the table this might have simply been the best one available, given they surely are one of the more expensive teams but there were lots and lots of top tier riders available this season and many teams chose to go factory team and drop the external team management. So they could have just fallen victim to the big names taking matters into their own hands and stacking their rosters, leaving not much room for a complete package like Atherton Racing.

At some point any company has to make a first step. Marin being a non factor now doesn´t mean they don´t have the resources or desire to enter the circuit at all. I´m sure at some point a company like Marin (or whoever owns them and Polygon) is done simply offering low end product and not getting recognition from the market and wants to make a big splash. Enter Atherton Racing.

|

12/6/2018 9:23 AM

How did the Marin rumor start? There's been so much in defense of it, is it based on any kind of actual evidence? Just curious as the idea of DH riders with such pedigree as the Athertons going to a brand that currently doesn't even have a DH bike is pretty wild.

|

12/6/2018 9:41 AM

Orbea confirms their 2019 EWS squad:



A Big Welcome to a New Orbea Enduro Team

The Orbea Enduro Team project started out in January 2018. It was our return to the Enduro World Series following the Orbea Enduro Crew. It’s been almost a year since our return to top enduro competition and we’ve learned a lot.

This goes along with our nature that just won’t let us settle for second best, that makes us always strive for improvement and evolve in everything we do. It’s a part of our day to day and our philosophy at all levels.

As the result of all this, the team will debut a revamped structure in 2019, which will give us a more powerful Orbea Enduro Team, with more ambitious goals. The changes will be felt on an athletic level and in terms of communications and product development.

New Team Manager

On the one hand, we’ve added a trusted person to the management team who has already formed part of the Orbea family for a number of years. He’s an experienced and recognized competitor in different categories of MTB who also has a long history of leading rally, enduro and DH teams.

This person is none other than Primož Štrancar, from Slovenia, where enduro has a long tradition. He brings more than two decades of experience in many different facets of MTB. He arrives on the team to replace Julien Brugeas, whom we would like to thank for his hard work over the years. We wish him well in this new stage of his life.



Simply put, Primož believes in dedication, commitment and honesty. These are values that served well him during his cycling career to become national DH champion, national XCO champion on several occasions, and international and Olympic XCO rider and the first World Enduro Master’s Champion in the EWS.

As a coach, he has served as head coach for different countries with XCO and DH teams, also earning international accolades. As if this were not enough, he is a qualified physical education instructor specialized in the training of cyclists. He definitely brings to the table a great deal of added value to promote the qualities of our riders.

A diamond in the rough

Our riders will have a new teammate in 2019.He’s a young 22-year-old talent from Slovenia, and reigning enduro champ in this country for the past four years. As a matter of fact, he competed in the 2018 EWS and came away with a fifth place finish as the best result in one of the rounds. His name is Vid Peršak, and he's a force to be reckoned with.

With this addition, we now have a number of riders who come from or live in different countries with a long enduro tradition. Thomas Lapeyrie represents the French side of the Alps, Gabriel Torralba hails from the peninsular side of the Pyrenees and Becky Cook comes from the small Island of Wight; near New Forest National Park.
|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.