2024 TEAM RUMORS

Verbl Kint
3/26/2024 9:24pm
gibbon wrote:
There is absolutely no need for him to rush back to competition. He's already won WC races so his goal is the overall and worlds. The...

There is absolutely no need for him to rush back to competition.
He's already won WC races so his goal is the overall and worlds.
The overall is gone and realistically worlds would be the first race back.
He is so young it's not worth risking a career long injury at this point.
I'd be taking the year off from competition. Do some riding trips and videos to keep the sponsors happy, get 100% recovered and then smash the field next year.

So true. The priority for him should be longevity in the sport as opposed to getting on the bike as soon as possible. 

Gone are the days when a knee ligament injury was almost a death sentence to an athlete's career. However, quite a few pros still could never get back to 100% of their athleticism and explosiveness. I hope Jackson takes his time and gets the best possible medical and rehab help available.

3/27/2024 8:58am
bizutch wrote:
Ye Olden Days ACL repair guy here.  Snapped it in a gopher hole at Seven Springs National in Dual Slalom.  Has ruined most every other sport...

Ye Olden Days ACL repair guy here.  Snapped it in a gopher hole at Seven Springs National in Dual Slalom.  Has ruined most every other sport for me. 

Brendog rode a season without his and that is a mistake. You chew the crap out of the meniscus inside with tiny little micro tears time after time from the instability.  

Me, I cooked my meniscus in the weeks between the injury and surgery and it's misery to this day.  I have to wear what is called an unloader brace if I go to the gym, mow the grass or hike.  Only thing I can do consistently without pain is mountain bike thanks to the saddle and granny gears.  

Goldstone & Kade need to chill for the year and come back in 2025 or they're going to both risk blowing the other ACL from compensating or causing tons of micro tears in their meniscus trying to get back too fast from rehab. 10 months is when I felt like I could hammer some gears and it not twist internally.

A full year for all the muscles, tendons, ligaments & bones to feel like a single functioning unit again.

I've heard Brendon mention several times that his ACL tear was a turning point where he felt like he lost that top end race speed and more or less lost the ability to compete for podiums. Definitely seems like something that needs to be managed well or it can be a major hinderance to an athlete's career. 

owl-x
Fantasy
834th
3/27/2024 9:15am

I’ll take the under. JG doesn’t live in your mundane reality—he will rub some dirt on it and be back smoking everyone in a month. SkinniBruni’s gonna end up whacking his own knee to keep up…

3/27/2024 9:21am

Different sport, but also more knee reliant.

Johnny Collinson, professional free skier blew everything in his knee (ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL, fractured tibial plateau, and even patellar tendon I believe) and has made a full comeback. It took ~2 years and he is a fitness freak.

There have been NFL running backs who have been back on the field in 9 months post ACL.

I think a return by the end of the season would be feasible if the rider really wanted it. That said, like others have stated here. I’d take my time and focus on next season.

Dave_Camp
Fantasy
68th
3/27/2024 9:25am

Jamal Murray (NBA) was out 18 months for an ACL... I'm guessing basketball is probably one of the hardest sports on your knees but still- long recovery no matter what.

3/27/2024 12:46pm
Dave_Camp wrote:
Jamal Murray (NBA) was out 18 months for an ACL... I'm guessing basketball is probably one of the hardest sports on your knees but still- long...

Jamal Murray (NBA) was out 18 months for an ACL... I'm guessing basketball is probably one of the hardest sports on your knees but still- long recovery no matter what.

There had to have been complications there! Skiers blow knees all the time and standard recovery to full play is 9-12 months

Dave_Camp
Fantasy
68th
3/27/2024 1:45pm
Buckets Up wrote:

There had to have been complications there! Skiers blow knees all the time and standard recovery to full play is 9-12 months

I think some of it was timing- he did it at the end of one season, rehabbed then was trying to rejoin the team during the playoffs at the end of the following season and wasn't ready to jump in 100%, decided to punt to the next season.

IDK- he is on a $170M contract, so that knee is pretty valuable.  haha

mfoga
Fantasy
102nd
3/27/2024 5:17pm
Buckets Up wrote:
Different sport, but also more knee reliant. Johnny Collinson, professional free skier blew everything in his knee (ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL, fractured tibial plateau, and even...

Different sport, but also more knee reliant.

Johnny Collinson, professional free skier blew everything in his knee (ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL, fractured tibial plateau, and even patellar tendon I believe) and has made a full comeback. It took ~2 years and he is a fitness freak.

There have been NFL running backs who have been back on the field in 9 months post ACL.

I think a return by the end of the season would be feasible if the rider really wanted it. That said, like others have stated here. I’d take my time and focus on next season.

I think it's only one RB who did come back in 9 months.  That was Peterson and his recovery is considered remarkable but definitely not normal.   

kiwi-rider
Fantasy
1150th
3/27/2024 6:03pm

What's peoples thoughts on the Sam Hill to Foes rumour from the latest OTB podcast?? 

3/27/2024 7:11pm
kiwi-rider wrote:

What's peoples thoughts on the Sam Hill to Foes rumour from the latest OTB podcast?? 

I don't know the bloke at all but from what you see on social media he looks like he's committed to his kids racing rather than his and fair enough...he's got nothing left to prove to anyone .

The level at world cup DH is so high now and with the format that unless you have some chance of making at least the semis I'm not sure it would be worth it from a sponsors point of view , but if a bike manufacturer gave Sam hill a bike and some money and made a few videos every year of him riding inside lines I reckon that would be a worthwhile investment.

mfoga
Fantasy
102nd
3/27/2024 7:15pm
kiwi-rider wrote:

Not that I don't think Brent can whip up a DH bike but if not Sam back to Enduro only?  

bizutch
Fantasy
1325th
3/27/2024 9:45pm
Dave_Camp wrote:
Jamal Murray (NBA) was out 18 months for an ACL... I'm guessing basketball is probably one of the hardest sports on your knees but still- long...

Buckets Up wrote:

Again...ACL & meniscus knee guy here.  Two completely DIFFERENT uses of that joint. Especially if there is meniscus damage in the slightest.

Basketball is the most brutal of all sports on a knee. Skiing really isn't.  Mainly because it's the one sport where you can have a custom molded CTi carbon fiber brace on for the full race & never notice it's even there.  Hell, a custom brace made skiing easier for me.  The suck part was whacking the patellar scar on the ice snowboarding.  

I stopped playing basketball.  I had even just won an amateur racquetball tournament at the gym I was managing and couldn't stand that "stomp/twist" action of a foot glued to the ground and driving on hardwood.  

It's why Kyrie Irving disappears at season's end in playoffs.
It's why Dwayne Wade had to fade away.
ACL and/or meniscus on hardwood...just brutal.

3/28/2024 12:32am
kiwi-rider wrote:

I don't know the bloke at all but from what you see on social media he looks like he's committed to his kids racing rather than...

I don't know the bloke at all but from what you see on social media he looks like he's committed to his kids racing rather than his and fair enough...he's got nothing left to prove to anyone .

The level at world cup DH is so high now and with the format that unless you have some chance of making at least the semis I'm not sure it would be worth it from a sponsors point of view , but if a bike manufacturer gave Sam hill a bike and some money and made a few videos every year of him riding inside lines I reckon that would be a worthwhile investment.

With all his experience over the years working with SRAM / Rockshox I wonder if he’ll end up as some sort of product development / blackbox development program? Almost a bit like Yannick Pontal has done on the e-bike scene?

Primoz
Fantasy
520th
3/28/2024 1:04am

Product development is done by people who are good at product development. A multiple world cup winner or world champion does not necessarily fit that role... 

Not saying Sam wouldn't be good at it, just saying he might not be a good fit for the role. Plus Australia is not the best location to do product development for Sram... 

lewzz10
3/28/2024 3:32am
kiwi-rider wrote:

Legit, likely racing next year as a 'farewell tour'.

Have a look at Nigel Page's Instagram..

luisgutrod
Fantasy
174th
3/28/2024 5:08am
kiwi-rider wrote:

lewzz10 wrote:

but didnt the detectives conclude it was a production privee ?

3/28/2024 9:11pm
lewzz10 wrote:
    Sam Hill seemed to enjoy the post.

Sam Hill seemed to enjoy the post.

A pity he couldn't enlighten us more post enjoyment.

ishouldridemore
Fantasy
1256th
3/28/2024 9:55pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2024 9:56pm

Heres a team rumor - Dean Lucas talked of riding for an Australian bike company on a recent youtube video he posted, the statement was along the lines of been in discussion with “x” havent made a decision yet.
There Was no talk of who the company was, I can only assume it was trinity.

edit - come to think of it, maybe that’s where hills headed.

NJPA Rider
3/30/2024 2:45pm
Heres a team rumor - Dean Lucas talked of riding for an Australian bike company on a recent youtube video he posted, the statement was along...

Heres a team rumor - Dean Lucas talked of riding for an Australian bike company on a recent youtube video he posted, the statement was along the lines of been in discussion with “x” havent made a decision yet.

Lucas and Hill together would be great. Lucas can do crankworx and events outside of UCI. 

casey79
Fantasy
2798th
4/1/2024 3:44am
Heres a team rumor - Dean Lucas talked of riding for an Australian bike company on a recent youtube video he posted, the statement was along...

NJPA Rider wrote:

Lucas and Hill together would be great. Lucas can do crankworx and events outside of UCI. 

There are a hundred riders who are more worthy of a sponsored ride than Lucas. If anything he might get a deal for a mate from Lusty who imports Transition into Australia to plug on his podcast. After a summer of hanging out with OF models on the GC, I cant see him being competitive.

Sam Hill, is a legend of the sport but unfortunately is well past his prime between the tape. Filming some shredits may be the only value to a sponsor.

jofish
Fantasy
1654th
4/1/2024 4:10am
Primoz wrote:
Product development is done by people who are good at product development. A multiple world cup winner or world champion does not necessarily fit that role... ...

Product development is done by people who are good at product development. A multiple world cup winner or world champion does not necessarily fit that role... 

Not saying Sam wouldn't be good at it, just saying he might not be a good fit for the role. Plus Australia is not the best location to do product development for Sram... 

Yeah Sam never really had much of a reputation for anything other than being really ridiculously fast and being quite a nice guy. Where other riders get kind of pigeonholed for different aspects of their career e.g. Minnaar is known for his methodical approach and racecraft, Gwin for developing products for relatively niche brands, Peaty for his big personality. It is testament to how good Hill was in his prime that he was only ever known as being really fast on a bike and amazing to watch because of that. 

bizutch
Fantasy
1325th
4/2/2024 5:17am

@casey79
"Sam Hill, is a legend of the sport but unfortunately is well past his prime between the tape. Filming some shredits may be the only value to a sponsor"
Has more to do with choosing to commit to a family on the most remote of the 7 continents.
Hill could ditch the family and run a worldwide tour & be a guest all over the world doing MTB media year round & would be incredibly marketable.

casey79
Fantasy
2798th
4/2/2024 5:57am
bizutch wrote:
@casey79 "Sam Hill, is a legend of the sport but unfortunately is well past his prime between the tape. Filming some shredits may be the only...

@casey79
"Sam Hill, is a legend of the sport but unfortunately is well past his prime between the tape. Filming some shredits may be the only value to a sponsor"
Has more to do with choosing to commit to a family on the most remote of the 7 continents.
Hill could ditch the family and run a worldwide tour & be a guest all over the world doing MTB media year round & would be incredibly marketable.

Agree that Sam's focus is now his family, selling the home, buying a truck and being a moto Dad.

Nukeproof going under when Wiggle went into administration, being owed tens of thousands of dollars of unpaid sponsorship and losing that relationship for signature components would have left a hole in the back pocket and messed with the retirement plans.

As others have said Sam always let his riding speak for it's self and is a man of a few words, so not sure if the speaking circuit and media is his thing, hence the shredits make the most sense. On the other hand fellow Australian Josh Carlson is a gifted public speaker hence he has continued into a career in the media for Disco/WB and MCing events after he has finished racing.

nskerb
4/2/2024 6:21am
bizutch wrote:
@casey79 "Sam Hill, is a legend of the sport but unfortunately is well past his prime between the tape. Filming some shredits may be the only...

@casey79

Are you aware of the existence of Antarctica? 

bizutch
Fantasy
1325th
4/2/2024 9:39am
bizutch wrote:

@casey79

nskerb wrote:

Are you aware of the existence of Antarctica? 

You want me to quantify "livable"?
Go search the net for misspelled words guy.

dolface
Fantasy
907th
4/2/2024 10:16am
kiwi-rider wrote:

lewzz10 wrote:

luisgutrod wrote:

but didnt the detectives conclude it was a production privee ?

TMo
Fantasy
222nd
4/3/2024 2:35am
Gromcast wrote:

Dan Slack on Pole

Makes sense for a bike brand wanting to make it's name as Long & Slack

chriskief
Fantasy
109th
4/4/2024 8:21am
gibbon wrote:
There is absolutely no need for him to rush back to competition. He's already won WC races so his goal is the overall and worlds. The...

I'd be taking the year off from competition. Do some riding trips and videos to keep the sponsors happy, get 100% recovered and then smash the field next year.

Verbl Kint wrote:
So true. The priority for him should be longevity in the sport as opposed to getting on the bike as soon as possible.    Gone are...

So true. The priority for him should be longevity in the sport as opposed to getting on the bike as soon as possible. 

Gone are the days when a knee ligament injury was almost a death sentence to an athlete's career. However, quite a few pros still could never get back to 100% of their athleticism and explosiveness. I hope Jackson takes his time and gets the best possible medical and rehab help available.

From the latest SC email... sounds like Jackson is out until 2025.

If you watched the first episode of the Syndicate TV series last week then you probably saw that poor Jackson Goldstone just had knee surgery and looks to be focused on recovery not racing this year.

Losifer
Fantasy
839th
4/4/2024 10:38am
gibbon wrote:

Verbl Kint wrote:
So true. The priority for him should be longevity in the sport as opposed to getting on the bike as soon as possible.    Gone are...

chriskief wrote:
From the latest SC email... sounds like Jackson is out until 2025. If you watched the first episode of the Syndicate TV series last week then...

From the latest SC email... sounds like Jackson is out until 2025.

If you watched the first episode of the Syndicate TV series last week then you probably saw that poor Jackson Goldstone just had knee surgery and looks to be focused on recovery not racing this year.

I'm actually glad to hear this. 

As much as I wanted to se him race this year, I'd rather see him healthy and racing for many years to come.

Post a reply to: 2024 TEAM RUMORS

The Latest