2023 TEAM RUMORS

2/16/2023 8:17am
grambo wrote:
I swear I heard (or read?) an interview with him, maybe not the Downtime podcast, where he said that they talked to Rob but that because...

I swear I heard (or read?) an interview with him, maybe not the Downtime podcast, where he said that they talked to Rob but that because he was under contract with Red Bull going forward they couldn't work out a deal for commentating on the new series. Maybe I an misremembering.

just announced that Rob and Eliot are going to be announcing all the Crankworx dh races. 

mtbman99
2/16/2023 8:38am

Not that Mr Warner hasn’t speculated about where certain riders are going on broadcasts before…

2/16/2023 12:25pm
grambo wrote:
I swear I heard (or read?) an interview with him, maybe not the Downtime podcast, where he said that they talked to Rob but that because...

I swear I heard (or read?) an interview with him, maybe not the Downtime podcast, where he said that they talked to Rob but that because he was under contract with Red Bull going forward they couldn't work out a deal for commentating on the new series. Maybe I an misremembering.

You are remembering correctly....but CBalls answer was so mumbly and vague, that I don't blame you for wondering if you really heard it or not.

airwreck
2/16/2023 12:57pm

Whistler Crankworx DH using the new 1199 track this year.

SA91
2/16/2023 3:22pm

I don't think "in defence of Chris Ball, I'm also terrible" is quite as effective as some of you think it is 

PisgahGnar
2/17/2023 5:51am

So this is kind of a crappy way to notice a team sponsor change, but a recent story from 555GravityRacing shows Douglas Goodwill getting a concussion while on a Commencal. They used to be 555 Raaw, right? So, is Raaw going to sponsor a team or are they putting all that money into their privateer program? I would kind of hope they sponsor a team to show off the bike this year. 

rludes025
2/17/2023 7:31am
FullSend wrote:

Chris Ball is such a shill. Fits in very well with the UCI and WB/Discovery.

darkcanuck wrote:

I think this lays things out pretty well regarding whether or not you can trust the guy. http://www.easternstatescup.com/2023/01/13/ews-qualifier-update/

I'm not stoked with the whole situation but this seems like a UCI thing, not a Chris Ball thing. We can't forget that there are fat old white guys pulling strings. 

kcy4130
2/17/2023 7:53am
rludes025 wrote:
I'm not stoked with the whole situation but this seems like a UCI thing, not a Chris Ball thing. We can't forget that there are fat...

I'm not stoked with the whole situation but this seems like a UCI thing, not a Chris Ball thing. We can't forget that there are fat old white guys pulling strings. 

As a fat old white guy, I resent that! Dam kids these days! tehe

2/17/2023 10:38am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2023 10:39am

Maybe there should now be a 2023 RACING CHIT-CHAT thread, but I'll put this here for the moment: Jackson Goldstone P1 in seeding yesterday at the mini world cup happening in Thredbo right now. Troy, Lozza, and Connor in 4, 5, and 6, Coulanges P10, Sam MFin' Hill: P14. Stacked field, 5 minute course, times are tight at the top. I wish I was going to be awake so I could refresh the results page.

https://www.thredbo.com.au/event-results/2023/cannonball-mtb-festival-presented-by-boost-mobile/?tab=final-results#0_0E3623

2/17/2023 10:48am

race is on GCN+ tonight starting around 6pm PST. that said there could be a storm rolling in and it may not go ahead at all.

"The chance of a thunderstorm during the morning and afternoon, possibly severe. Winds northwesterly 35 to 55 km/h tending westerly 20 to 30 km/h in the evening then shifting east to southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the late evening."

2/17/2023 10:51am
jofish wrote:
I know it’s only seeding at a national but I think it’s a very real possibility that Jackson might just wipe the floor with the elite...

I know it’s only seeding at a national but I think it’s a very real possibility that Jackson might just wipe the floor with the elite field this year.  

https://www.thredbo.com.au/event-results/2023/cannonball-mtb-festival-p…

Edit: same link and general astonishment as the post above. 

Great minds and fools as they say.

w4s
2/17/2023 10:57am
jofish wrote:
I know it’s only seeding at a national but I think it’s a very real possibility that Jackson might just wipe the floor with the elite...

I know it’s only seeding at a national but I think it’s a very real possibility that Jackson might just wipe the floor with the elite field this year.  

I dont think he's going to dominate,  this is a stacked field but there's no Amaury, Loic, Finn or anybody else who's a consistent threat to win a World Cup DH.  

2/17/2023 11:00am
BGoldstone wrote:
race is on GCN+ tonight starting around 6pm PST. that said there could be a storm rolling in and it may not go ahead at all...

race is on GCN+ tonight starting around 6pm PST. that said there could be a storm rolling in and it may not go ahead at all.

"The chance of a thunderstorm during the morning and afternoon, possibly severe. Winds northwesterly 35 to 55 km/h tending westerly 20 to 30 km/h in the evening then shifting east to southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the late evening."

That would suck, thumbs down. Forgive me if this is an intrusion, but I imagine by your user name that you two are related?

jofish
2/17/2023 11:04am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2023 11:37am
w4s wrote:
I dont think he's going to dominate,  this is a stacked field but there's no Amaury, Loic, Finn or anybody else who's a consistent threat to...

I dont think he's going to dominate,  this is a stacked field but there's no Amaury, Loic, Finn or anybody else who's a consistent threat to win a World Cup DH.  

Coulanges in 10th begs to differ. 

No for sure I hear you on that front but if we can’t jump to wild conclusions on here then where?

Guncar
2/17/2023 11:07am
FullSend wrote:

Chris Ball is such a shill. Fits in very well with the UCI and WB/Discovery.

darkcanuck wrote:

I think this lays things out pretty well regarding whether or not you can trust the guy. http://www.easternstatescup.com/2023/01/13/ews-qualifier-update/

Unfortunately but incredibly I do not like what they are doing with EWS.  
Shortening the competition - not so long ago they had 6-8 sections each and two days of fighting. True endurance.
Locations becoming more and more bike park-like, more and more hard-paved heavily artificial trails. What follows is less natural.
I bet access to videos and photos, reports, etc. will be severely limited. And if you want it, pay dearly. I'm not saying it will be bad but there will probably be exorbitant payment for something that will be nothing special.   
Not to mention this reduction in the number of events in which you can earn qualifying points. Pointless.
But let's hope I'm at least half wrong on these things.

w4s
2/17/2023 11:49am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2023 11:51am
w4s wrote:
I dont think he's going to dominate,  this is a stacked field but there's no Amaury, Loic, Finn or anybody else who's a consistent threat to...

jofish wrote:
Coulanges in 10th begs to differ.    No for sure I hear you on that front but if we can’t jump to wild conclusions on here...

Coulanges in 10th begs to differ. 

No for sure I hear you on that front but if we can’t jump to wild conclusions on here then where?

Coulanges finished 2022 in 9th and hasn't won a World Cup DH, sure he's come close but he's also been down the standings, too.  But, what do I know, Jackson may just well be the next coming of DH superstar.

2/17/2023 11:56am
BGoldstone wrote:
race is on GCN+ tonight starting around 6pm PST. that said there could be a storm rolling in and it may not go ahead at all...

That would suck, thumbs down. Forgive me if this is an intrusion, but I imagine by your user name that you two are related?

He’s my nephew. 

2/17/2023 1:38pm
BGoldstone wrote:

BGoldstone wrote:

He’s my nephew. 

Well I certainly hope both you and he are feeling the love; besides being what seems to be a humble and well-adjusted young man, he's clearly got a big fanbase already (*raises hand excitedly) and a crazy bright future. Well done to the fam!

brash
2/17/2023 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2023 3:29pm
jofish wrote:

pretty impressive from Goldstone to Quali first. The track isn't hard technically at all (I still eat shit atleast once a year on it though lol) it's just long and physically demanding more than anything.

The wind will play mayhem, more for the chairlift than anything. Get them up there early before it comes howling through.

Wish I went this year in hindsight, always a good time and with such a stacked field would have been some good spectating this year.

Edit - Chairlift on Windhold Sad might be a case of seeding been final results, therefore Remy Meir Smith taking the Aussie sleeve!

brash
2/17/2023 9:53pm

Wind meant they didn't do the first minute of track (including the crazy fast fire road section)

Luke got the Aussie Sleeve, was on the hot seat all afternoon, Pipped by Goldstone on the last run. God damn that kid is fast!

promen.jpg?VersionId=xM uRGJ2fNF92LcPoaAWwc1Rb xs y

prowomen.jpg?VersionId=w50rV 7O

boozed
2/17/2023 11:36pm
jofish wrote:

It might only be a national level event but on the other hand, he was up against local pros who know the course inside-out.

JimmyK
2/18/2023 12:54am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2023 12:54am

Not sure if this counts as a team rumour, but I wonder if the Canyon enduro team will be ditching the Strive this year? All their recent testing posts have shown them on spectrals

2/18/2023 8:47am
JimmyK wrote:
Not sure if this counts as a team rumour, but I wonder if the Canyon enduro team will be ditching the Strive this year? All their...

Not sure if this counts as a team rumour, but I wonder if the Canyon enduro team will be ditching the Strive this year? All their recent testing posts have shown them on spectrals

That's maybe more of a tech rumor, but Jesse hinted at a new bike that's coming (or at least a smaller front triangle for him) so I'm wondering if the new rig (if it's out there) is more based on the Spectral than Strive. 

Verbl Kint
2/18/2023 10:01am
jofish wrote:

boozed wrote:

It might only be a national level event but on the other hand, he was up against local pros who know the course inside-out.

In other news, Sam Hill placed 18th. Not bad considering it's a stacked field and his first DH race since getting injured in Cairns last October.

2/18/2023 5:23pm
JimmyK wrote:
Not sure if this counts as a team rumour, but I wonder if the Canyon enduro team will be ditching the Strive this year? All their...

That's maybe more of a tech rumor, but Jesse hinted at a new bike that's coming (or at least a smaller front triangle for him) so...

That's maybe more of a tech rumor, but Jesse hinted at a new bike that's coming (or at least a smaller front triangle for him) so I'm wondering if the new rig (if it's out there) is more based on the Spectral than Strive. 

i can see canyon adjusting the Sizing on the strive. 
Even the Medium is huge(comparing to other brands size large.) - they've been watching far to much paul aston 

I can see Jesse on a SM (small medium, a size in between)

Im 6ft and ive ridden a friends 2023 Medium strive...  its surprisingly big... 1262 wheel base is quite big - however i did feel quite centerd over the bike. - i would never consider the large at my height

MikeK
2/19/2023 6:01am

Just finished watching the full Aus DH National Champs on Discovery/Eurosport/GCN+. I sincerely hope that wasnt the "test broadcast" that Chris Ball talked about on the downtime podcast... 

Post a reply to: 2023 TEAM RUMORS

The Latest