2023 TEAM RUMORS

2/19/2023 12:21pm
JimmyK wrote:
Not sure if this counts as a team rumour, but I wonder if the Canyon enduro team will be ditching the Strive this year? All their...

Not sure if this counts as a team rumour, but I wonder if the Canyon enduro team will be ditching the Strive this year? All their recent testing posts have shown them on spectrals

That's maybe more of a tech rumor, but Jesse hinted at a new bike that's coming (or at least a smaller front triangle for him) so...

That's maybe more of a tech rumor, but Jesse hinted at a new bike that's coming (or at least a smaller front triangle for him) so I'm wondering if the new rig (if it's out there) is more based on the Spectral than Strive. 

i can see canyon adjusting the Sizing on the strive.  Even the Medium is huge(comparing to other brands size large.) - they've been watching far to...

i can see canyon adjusting the Sizing on the strive. 
Even the Medium is huge(comparing to other brands size large.) - they've been watching far to much paul aston 

I can see Jesse on a SM (small medium, a size in between)

Im 6ft and ive ridden a friends 2023 Medium strive...  its surprisingly big... 1262 wheel base is quite big - however i did feel quite centerd over the bike. - i would never consider the large at my height

If they watched too much Paul Aston they would have given it 500mm chainstays as well instead of the 430ish that it has now.

I used to like the guy but insisting that every single brand (except maybe Banshee?) has wrong bike geometry turned me a bit off from his channel.

sorry for the OT

2/19/2023 1:51pm
29 wrote:
If they watched too much Paul Aston they would have given it 500mm chainstays as well instead of the 430ish that it has now. I used...

If they watched too much Paul Aston they would have given it 500mm chainstays as well instead of the 430ish that it has now.

I used to like the guy but insisting that every single brand (except maybe Banshee?) has wrong bike geometry turned me a bit off from his channel.

sorry for the OT

All suspension is utter hot shit as well apart from Manitou RRT forks and Cane Creek RRT shocks.

FullSend
2/19/2023 2:23pm
29 wrote:
If they watched too much Paul Aston they would have given it 500mm chainstays as well instead of the 430ish that it has now. I used...

sorry for the OT

All suspension is utter hot shit as well apart from Manitou RRT forks and Cane Creek RRT shocks.

Aston is an extremely self-assertive, provocative, insufferable and overall not very intelligent person. 

He's seriously claiming that the frame he designed himself is, unequivocally, the single best mountainbike in existence - at every discipline. Better than literally everything else ever, made by any manufacturer.

That should tell you all you need to know about him.

2/19/2023 2:31pm

I like reading his stuff. Do I agree with it all? Maybe not, but it makes me think differently about other reviews and my own experience/assumptions. For me those are a couple signs of a good journalist. 

TannerVal
2/19/2023 2:37pm
29 wrote:

sorry for the OT

FullSend wrote:
Aston is an extremely self-assertive, provocative, insufferable and overall not very intelligent person.  He's seriously claiming that the frame he designed himself is, unequivocally, the single...

Aston is an extremely self-assertive, provocative, insufferable and overall not very intelligent person. 

He's seriously claiming that the frame he designed himself is, unequivocally, the single best mountainbike in existence - at every discipline. Better than literally everything else ever, made by any manufacturer.

I like some aspects of his work like exposing durability problems and trying to optimize bikes for a preferred riding style but his custom bikes are downright stupid. Look like they would suck ass to ride and just suck all the fun out of riding. A good portion of his opinions are dogshit though and I think he’s shooting himself in the foot by being so self righteous, would probably have a bit more success if he went back to his channels original goal (honest long term reviews) instead of trying to create the exact bike he wants to ride to suit his lanky ass and telling everyone it’s the best geometry every.

JamesR_2026
2/19/2023 3:28pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2023 3:30pm
brash wrote:
Wind meant they didn't do the first minute of track (including the crazy fast fire road section) Luke got the Aussie Sleeve, was on the hot...

Wind meant they didn't do the first minute of track (including the crazy fast fire road section)

Luke got the Aussie Sleeve, was on the hot seat all afternoon, Pipped by Goldstone on the last run. God damn that kid is fast!

promen.jpg?VersionId=xM uRGJ2fNF92LcPoaAWwc1Rb xs y

prowomen.jpg?VersionId=w50rV 7O

Wind wasn't the real reason for shortening the track. It was Auscycling saying that they couldn't crown a national champion if an Aussie didn't go under the 5 minute maximum time that is in the UCI DH rules. Remy was fastest Aussie in quali with a 5:02. There had been a lot of changes made to the track in the lead up to speed it up and get times down but it wasn't quite enough.

I had a few beers with one of the commissaires after the race and he wasn't real happy with a lot of the decisions that were made.

They could have run from the bottom of the fire road like most Thredbo DH races, but they chopped it all the way to the top of Snakes and Ladders

Finals got cancelled for everyone but under 17, under 19 and Elite due to the chairlift being on wind hold for most of the day. I'm happy they managed to squeeze in what they did. It was an epic afternoon of racing.

Verbl Kint
2/19/2023 10:52pm
MikeK wrote:
Just finished watching the full Aus DH National Champs on Discovery/Eurosport/GCN+. I sincerely hope that wasnt the "test broadcast" that Chris Ball talked about on the...

Just finished watching the full Aus DH National Champs on Discovery/Eurosport/GCN+. I sincerely hope that wasnt the "test broadcast" that Chris Ball talked about on the downtime podcast... 

Didn't have access to any of the broadcasts or streaming options. 

What didn't the coverage get right?  Were the commentators bad?  Were there enough cameras to see the whole course?

harwox
2/20/2023 1:39am
MikeK wrote:
Just finished watching the full Aus DH National Champs on Discovery/Eurosport/GCN+. I sincerely hope that wasnt the "test broadcast" that Chris Ball talked about on the...

Just finished watching the full Aus DH National Champs on Discovery/Eurosport/GCN+. I sincerely hope that wasnt the "test broadcast" that Chris Ball talked about on the downtime podcast... 

Completely unrelated to anything that Discovery are doing.  This was the national federation / national broadcaster operating on what I imagine was a very tight budget.  As a punter it was good to be able to watch rather than just see things after the fact on social media but it is completely removed from WC coverage

2/20/2023 2:18am
MikeK wrote:

harwox wrote:
Completely unrelated to anything that Discovery are doing.  This was the national federation / national broadcaster operating on what I imagine was a very tight budget. ...

Completely unrelated to anything that Discovery are doing.  This was the national federation / national broadcaster operating on what I imagine was a very tight budget.  As a punter it was good to be able to watch rather than just see things after the fact on social media but it is completely removed from WC coverage

The test event is in Lourdes, end of April. 

FullSend
2/20/2023 9:22am

FullSend wrote:
Aston is an extremely self-assertive, provocative, insufferable and overall not very intelligent person.  He's seriously claiming that the frame he designed himself is, unequivocally, the single...

TannerVal wrote:
I like some aspects of his work like exposing durability problems and trying to optimize bikes for a preferred riding style but his custom bikes are...

I like some aspects of his work like exposing durability problems and trying to optimize bikes for a preferred riding style but his custom bikes are downright stupid. Look like they would suck ass to ride and just suck all the fun out of riding. A good portion of his opinions are dogshit though and I think he’s shooting himself in the foot by being so self righteous, would probably have a bit more success if he went back to his channels original goal (honest long term reviews) instead of trying to create the exact bike he wants to ride to suit his lanky ass and telling everyone it’s the best geometry every.

That's pretty much why I stopped following his content. Ironically, I actually share some of his opinions on geometry. But I just can not stand his insufferably smug attitude.

Primoz
2/21/2023 8:29am

It's kind of like he has some insider info about things to come! Laughing

TSchafer
2/21/2023 12:20pm
sspomer wrote:
transition factory racing is here https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/hub/transition-factory-racing-here  
dolface wrote:

4 women! HELL yeah Transition, that is so rad!

And a woman on the support team! I think it was Emilie on Making Up the Numbers who made the awesome point that that helps pave the way for more ladies in racing/MTB too

PROBUILDS610
2/22/2023 6:31am
sspomer wrote:
transition factory racing is here https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/hub/transition-factory-racing-here  
dolface wrote:

4 women! HELL yeah Transition, that is so rad!

TSchafer wrote:
And a woman on the support team! I think it was Emilie on Making Up the Numbers who made the awesome point that that helps pave...

And a woman on the support team! I think it was Emilie on Making Up the Numbers who made the awesome point that that helps pave the way for more ladies in racing/MTB too

Rachel is the main gear that make this big machines wheels turn. Loads of race experience and possibly the most organized person on the planet. We would be lost without her. 

stoic_machine
2/22/2023 7:29am

Man I have missed so much!

• Yes Paul Aston is a complete knob, probably the largest knob in MTB currently.

• Love to see transition back in the game with a sick roster.

• Miranda Miller riding for and or "a" Santa Cruz this year

2/22/2023 8:08am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2023 8:10am

Screenshot 2023-02-17-14-25-52-896 com.instagram.android 1 Cédric Gracia off Forestal and into a New bike..

Primoz
2/22/2023 8:53am

Huh, interesting, I seem to recall he way even an investor into the Forestal project...

DubC
2/22/2023 9:26am
 Found this on Instagram today

Picsart 23-02-22 14-25-40-233.jpg?VersionId=9TioaOEm6YYAHAIrjcs4QXOjScUJ

Found this on Instagram today

Primal Wear has forever tainted the word "primal" for me. image-20230222092614-1

Poleczechy
2/22/2023 9:37am
Cédric Gracia off Forestal and into a New bike..  

Screenshot 2023-02-17-14-25-52-896 com.instagram.android 1 Cédric Gracia off Forestal and into a New bike..

The colors selection look vaguely like the Spanish flag, Orbea? Mondraker? 

sethimus
2/22/2023 9:48am

Poleczechy wrote:

bos fork in the front?

w4s
2/22/2023 11:09am

Poleczechy wrote:

Gracia says he's been a fan of the brand since he started racing, that was a long time ago so it's brand that's been around for awhile.  What are some older Spanish bike brands?

samlr
2/22/2023 11:13am

Poleczechy wrote:

w4s wrote:
Gracia says he's been a fan of the brand since he started racing, that was a long time ago so it's brand that's been around for...

Gracia says he's been a fan of the brand since he started racing, that was a long time ago so it's brand that's been around for awhile.  What are some older Spanish bike brands?

BH founded in 1909 

stoic_machine
2/22/2023 7:09pm

Maybe Santa Cruz? They were formed in 1994 and his first world cup was in 1994.

luisgutrod
2/22/2023 8:26pm

Maybe Santa Cruz? They were formed in 1994 and his first world cup was in 1994.

so you mean a comeback ? 

Post a reply to: 2023 TEAM RUMORS

The Latest