2020 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

Primoz
1/5/2020 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2020 1:07pm
Checked it, apparently it's the exclusivity OEM deal that's behind it all, so clearly not the same as in motorsport.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/from-the-top-ohlins-racing-ceo-henrik-joh…
"What is your approach to sponsorship? I had heard you don’t sponsor teams or riders in terms of money or product?

We never sponsor anything I would say… Apart from maybe a charity. For our race teams, our racing partners, they would always pay the cost for the product and service they like to use. Then it’s not a profitable business, but we try to get back our cost. The idea is to have a plus and minus zero situation for all racing. Some years we succeed, some years maybe not.

Does that hold true for mountain biking as well? It’s probably a very different approach to any other sport…

In mountain biking it’s special for us to start with because we have exactly one customer. We have an exclusivity agreement with Specialized, so in part of the contract with them we are not allowed to race with other brands, and we will not race with other brands. It’s part of the overall contract. They get exclusivity with us, and we obviously get other things from them."

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialized-ohlins-suspension-team-2017.h…
"In any case, the 'no free stuff' ethos isn't how it works in mountain biking. In fact, it's the polar opposite - companies pay, be it financial support or by supplying product, for racers and teams to use their gear and the exposure that comes from that, not the other way around.

That begs the question that has an obvious answer: are the Specialized Gravity and EWS teams actually paying to use Öhlins suspension? No, of course not. Graves, Bruni, Miller, and the rest being on Öhlins suspension is part of the big-picture OEM deal that sees the exclusive spec of Öhlins forks and shocks on Specialized's production bikes. ''This is an extension of our ongoing partnership to develop innovative suspension together,'' Dan Hugo, Head of Sports Marketing at Specialized, explained when asked how the arrangement works. ''We believe that rider feedback from riders like Bruni, Graves, and Keene will help push forward development. So, too, this racing sponsorship allows interaction with the extensive testing experience that Laurent Delorme and Jack Roure have.''"

Plus motorsport mostly sells the car/bike brand first and foremost and then the head sponsors (usually from outside the industry) with minor components (suspension, exhausts, wheels and the like) almost hidden away and left to be recognized by the most diehard fans. With mountainbikes the component spec is much more clear and thus a stronger bargaining chip. And the components are visible. You don't see the dampers on a Le Mans prototype racer, yet I have a wallpaper of an LMP2 prototype with the rear deck taken off, showing Ohlins dampers. You wouldn't know it without taking the cover off. Let alone F1 and their customized damper units (heave dampers, third springs, rotary dampers, inerters, FRIC suspension, etc.). You can't market that as well as you can MTB suspension products.
1/5/2020 1:15pm
Primoz wrote:
AFAIK they only sold their product in motorsport but they saw that is not possible with MTB and they do sponsor specialized. They must have some...
AFAIK they only sold their product in motorsport but they saw that is not possible with MTB and they do sponsor specialized. They must have some sort of an agreement in order for specialized to run their logos. They cover the sram logos on the drivetrain.
The deal with Specialized goes a lot deeper, since the two companies have a partnership around the Ohlins MTB product development which is why you see Ohlins shocks on Specialized bikes in retail. Specialized Factory Racing is an independent entity, they don’t happen to have a drivetrain sponsor which explains the blacked out cranks etc. In this context, it seems likely that the team gets bikes and suspension provided by Specialized, with suspension support from Ohlins, so it’s still not outright sponsorship in the classic sense of the word.
JoeyHooo
1/5/2020 1:53pm
vweb wrote:
I place a bet on Commençal/Vallnord becoming Commençal/Öhlins with Vink onboard.
Vink on Transition
JoeyHooo
1/5/2020 1:56pm
Primoz wrote:
AFAIK they only sold their product in motorsport but they saw that is not possible with MTB and they do sponsor specialized. They must have some...
AFAIK they only sold their product in motorsport but they saw that is not possible with MTB and they do sponsor specialized. They must have some sort of an agreement in order for specialized to run their logos. They cover the sram logos on the drivetrain.
Don’t remember which article but Specialized Gravity was saying that they were paying the shock but not the fork as it was a prototype. Maybe it changed now.
vweb
1/5/2020 1:59pm
vweb wrote:
I place a bet on Commençal/Vallnord becoming Commençal/Öhlins with Vink onboard.
JoeyHooo wrote:
Vink on Transition
Ho yes. My bad. That's not like I saw the pixelated picture with Vink and Lacondeguy 😂😂😂

I'll stay with my bet on Öhlins main sponsor of the new Commençal/any brand here.
1/5/2020 2:38pm
vweb wrote:
I thought Ohlins doesnt sponsor athletes? Do they sponsor racing teams?
Fantaman wrote:
Öhlins never sponsors they only support athletes & teams that wanna run their suspension products,it's this way how Öhlins business model operates for over 40 years...
Öhlins never sponsors they only support athletes & teams that wanna run their suspension products,it's this way how Öhlins business model operates for over 40 years that professional athletes & teams are paying Öhlins ,Even a view years back when Dirt Magazine was at their HQ in Stockholm they don't want to talk about sponsorship.

At least that's what they would have you believe. It helps build a mystique and even more of a premium product around the brand.
1/5/2020 3:38pm
I find it really interesting that Specialized has not spec’d a single Öhlins fork or shock on a bike, besides the new demo, since 2018.
waldog
1/5/2020 3:51pm
I find it really interesting that Specialized has not spec’d a single Öhlins fork or shock on a bike, besides the new demo, since 2018.
It could be market dependent but there's been a number of bikes with Öhlins gear from the Big S in Australia.
1/5/2020 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2020 4:53pm
waldog wrote:
It could be market dependent but there's been a number of bikes with Öhlins gear from the Big S in Australia.
Motivated-Brand w/o a name with a Thread on Vital is likely seeing stars with all this Ohlins chatter. Heck - maybe a Nurburgring rub on sticker will come with each M9... unless Intense decides to re-use their bike name first.

Buick and Robby to Canyon.
watchcwgo
1/5/2020 6:39pm
waldog wrote:
Staggering amount of Ohlins warranty issues on sworks bikes here. I didn’t deal with a lot of ohlins stuff personally, but almost every one sold was warrantied. This is stx air shocks and rxf forks. The coil shocks seem to have held up much better.

I think the issues combined with the oem exclusivity agreement they had coming to an end, made it easy to part ways. From what I know, part of their deal was specialized distributing a certain amount of ohlins products, which seems to have come to an end as well.

Back to team rumours though. Hannah Finchamp and Haley Batten both left the Clif team and Erin Huck left her team (construction zone). I can see Erin going to Stans Pivot to replace SGV.
hnzznh
1/6/2020 4:52am
YOU HEARD IT FROM ME!!!

Specialized new team member:

Monika Mixova, 30 years old from Czech.

Based on Speciaized IG stories.
Ncbmxpro
1/6/2020 9:43am
New Specialized Gravity Insta story with new riders pictured. I recognize one of the riders from America. Thats all I'll say. : ) So happy and proud of him.
sharpy212
1/6/2020 9:49am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2020 10:01am
Ncbmxpro wrote:
New Specialized Gravity Insta story with new riders pictured. I recognize one of the riders from America. Thats all I'll say. : ) So happy and...
New Specialized Gravity Insta story with new riders pictured. I recognize one of the riders from America. Thats all I'll say. : ) So happy and proud of him.
Someone with bad wrists by the looks of things!? 🤔 ..... Cole Suetos?
1/6/2020 10:21am
Ncbmxpro wrote:
New Specialized Gravity Insta story with new riders pictured. I recognize one of the riders from America. Thats all I'll say. : ) So happy and...
sharpy212 wrote:
Someone with bad wrists by the looks of things!? 🤔 ..... Cole Suetos?
Dont most bike racers have bad wrists?? Haha, I kid, I kid. But for real.
1/6/2020 10:32am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2020 10:46am
Sad news for Alex Fayolle

View this post on Instagram

🇫🇷 Salut à tous ! Ce n’est pas vraiment une bonne nouvelle que je vais vous donner ... Mon avenir est très incertain a ce moment. Je ne roulerai plus pour UR team en 2020 et je n’ai pas trouvé de projet qui me corresponde pour continuer ce sport a haut niveau. Les deux dernières années ont étaient très mauvaise pour moi sportivement , et encore plus mentalement depuis ma victoire volée de Lourdes ... Ce qui est sur c’est que je ne participerai pas a l’intégralité de la coupe du monde en 2020. Je ne remercierai jamais assez mon père et Guillaume ( entraîneur ) pour tous ce qu’il a fait pour moi depuis le début. Mais également toutes les personnes qui ont cru en moi et qui m’ont aidés durant toutes ces années particulièrement mon team et mes sponsors. Restez connecté je ferai chaque jour un post de mes années dans le team ✌🏻/ /🇬🇧 Hi everyone ! This is not really good news that I will give you. My future is very uncertain at this time. I will no longer ride for UR team in 2020 and I haven’t found a project that suits me to continue this sport at a high level. The last two years have been very bad for me sportingly, and even more mentally since my stolen victory from Lourdes ... What is certain is that I will not participate in the entire World Cup in 2020. I cannot thank my father and Guillaume ( coach) enough for all that they have done for me. But also all the people who believed in me and who helped me during all these years especially my team and my sponsors. Stay connected I will make a post every day of my years in the team ✌🏻

A post shared by Alexandre Fayolle (@alexandre_fayolle88) on Jan 6, 2020 at 9:17am PST

tmano2
1/6/2020 10:44am
ange_jamin wrote:
Sad news for Alex Fayolle

View this post on Instagram

🇫🇷 Salut à tous ! Ce n’est pas vraiment une bonne nouvelle que je vais vous donner ... Mon avenir est très incertain a ce moment. Je ne roulerai plus pour UR team en 2020 et je n’ai pas trouvé de projet qui me corresponde pour continuer ce sport a haut niveau. Les deux dernières années ont étaient très mauvaise pour moi sportivement , et encore plus mentalement depuis ma victoire volée de Lourdes ... Ce qui est sur c’est que je ne participerai pas a l’intégralité de la coupe du monde en 2020. Je ne remercierai jamais assez mon père et Guillaume ( entraîneur ) pour tous ce qu’il a fait pour moi depuis le début. Mais également toutes les personnes qui ont cru en moi et qui m’ont aidés durant toutes ces années particulièrement mon team et mes sponsors. Restez connecté je ferai chaque jour un post de mes années dans le team ✌🏻/ /🇬🇧 Hi everyone ! This is not really good news that I will give you. My future is very uncertain at this time. I will no longer ride for UR team in 2020 and I haven’t found a project that suits me to continue this sport at a high level. The last two years have been very bad for me sportingly, and even more mentally since my stolen victory from Lourdes ... What is certain is that I will not participate in the entire World Cup in 2020. I cannot thank my father and Guillaume ( coach) enough for all that they have done for me. But also all the people who believed in me and who helped me during all these years especially my team and my sponsors. Stay connected I will make a post every day of my years in the team ✌🏻

A post shared by Alexandre Fayolle (@alexandre_fayolle88) on Jan 6, 2020 at 9:17am PST

was his win revoked?
1/6/2020 10:48am
tmano2 wrote:
was his win revoked?
No, Alex is saying that's how he feels about it, because he had very different conditions during his run, so in his mind he "stole" it. Which is a rough thing to carry around IMO, especially when he then went on to face quite a bit of bad luck/injuries etc. Wishing him well!
1/6/2020 10:57am
tmano2 wrote:
was his win revoked?
iceman2058 wrote:
No, Alex is saying that's how he feels about it, because he had very different conditions during his run, so in his mind he "stole" it...
No, Alex is saying that's how he feels about it, because he had very different conditions during his run, so in his mind he "stole" it. Which is a rough thing to carry around IMO, especially when he then went on to face quite a bit of bad luck/injuries etc. Wishing him well!
That’s a tough one, because that’s part of racing and how it goes sometime. Sounds like he wants to play fair and square, but outside of timing you quali run it wasn’t in his control. If I remember right. A win is still a win, and I would hope he could be proud of a solid performance. Wish him the best!
cmkneeland
1/6/2020 11:00am
iceman2058 wrote:
No, Alex is saying that's how he feels about it, because he had very different conditions during his run, so in his mind he "stole" it...
That's too bad. A win's a win in my book. The reality is, conditions play role in this sport. If we went back to look at every race that conditions changed mid event, we'd have a lot of top riders that 'stole' races. Nothing to be ashamed of. That's just how the dice roll sometimes. Hope he doesn't carry it as a burden.
vweb
1/6/2020 11:04am
Some were pretty vocals at the time, more for Alex that other "stolers" in fact...
LLLLL
1/6/2020 2:03pm
tmano2 wrote:
was his win revoked?
iceman2058 wrote:
Alex won that day. No if, buts or maybes

Post a reply to: 2020 Mountain Bike Team Rumors

The Latest