2018 Racing Rumors

Create New Tag

2/28/2018 10:56 AM

matmattmatthew wrote:

My biggest fear realized. E-bikes that are practically indiscernible from normal mountain bikes.

Just curious why that would be your biggest fear?

|

2/28/2018 11:08 AM

kwapik wrote:

Just curious why that would be your biggest fear?

Land Access issues. There are plenty of places/trail systems in the US that have said no E-bikes on non-motorized trails. If E-bikes start to become indistinguishable from regular mountain bikes then E-bike riders will feel emboldened to poach rides on trails they aren't supposed to ride, thus endangering trail access for the rest of us.

It's already happening on some of my local trails. I was doing some trail work a few weeks ago and witnessed a guy with a full face helmet on an E-bike roost up a climb on an adjacent trail. He wasn't even pedaling, just hammering down on a throttle. That was actually the 3rd time in recent weeks that I've seen someone accelerating on an E-bike without pedaling. So the whole "they only assist while pedaling" argument is BS.

|

2/28/2018 12:18 PM

In preparation of the 2018 race season, the Giant Factory Off-Road Team headed to Sedona, Arizona early in the year with new suspension partner DVO for an initial testing and tuning session. Sounds like both parties are pumped on the relationship and products:

?rel=0

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.

2/28/2018 12:32 PM

matmattmatthew wrote:

Land Access issues. There are plenty of places/trail systems in the US that have said no E-bikes on non-motorized trails. If E-bikes start to become indistinguishable from regular mountain bikes then E-bike riders will feel emboldened to poach rides on trails they aren't supposed to ride, thus endangering trail access for the rest of us.

It's already happening on some of my local trails. I was doing some trail work a few weeks ago and witnessed a guy with a full face helmet on an E-bike roost up a climb on an adjacent trail. He wasn't even pedaling, just hammering down on a throttle. That was actually the 3rd time in recent weeks that I've seen someone accelerating on an E-bike without pedaling. So the whole "they only assist while pedaling" argument is BS.

Yeah, I see what you are saying. And with the way miniaturization and technology is advancing, they will be hard to identify especially from a distance.

|

3/1/2018 5:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2018 4:09 AM

|

3/1/2018 7:46 AM

Devinci keeping it local for 2018 eh.

National Pride

Chicoutimi, February 28 2018 - For thirty years now, the manufacturer has been designing and manufacturing a wide array of bikes from its native Chicoutimi, for large and small children, from the hybrid to the heavy downhill models. Because you never know which bike you might fall in love with... True to our roots, Devinci is extremely proud to contribute to the success of many Canadian athletes. For 2018, we have set up a new racing program, bringing together some of the best national riders.

For Felix Gauthier, President of the company, this is much more than pride: “It’s a must! We have to support these dedicated riders who invest so much time and effort to reach the highest levels of competition. And this motivates us to make the best bikes possible; it feeds our adrenaline...what they bring us is huge!”

This new program is also a tribute to Steve Smith, who inspired so many riders, and who keeps doing so through his Legacy Fund, to help the next generation of young ripper reach the podium. #longlivechainsaw

In 2018, Devinci can count on big names across the country!
Hailing from Western Canada, Kirk McDowall was the Canadian Downhill Champion in 2016 and 2017, also holder of the BC Cup provincial title in 2015 and 2016. Kirk intends to defend his title and rub elbows with the best at Crankworx and other Canadian DH events. He will also be part of some World Cup events. In 2017, he finished an impressive 12th at the World Cup in Mont-Sainte-Anne, Québec! Kirk is co-sponsored by Dunbar Cycles and Devinci. “I can’t wait to begin my third race season on a Devinci bike! It means a lot to me to represent a Canadian brand domestically and internationally.” – Kirk McDowall

He will be counting on a major opponent in Matthew Beer who will be joining the Devinci program! Born in Newfoundland, Matt traded the Atlantic for the Pacific in 2013, to get closer to his sport. He would like to reconquer his title as National Champion, as he did when he earned these honours in 2012 and in 2015. But this time, he’ll be riding the Spartan to fight and lead most of his battles during the various races of the Canadian National Enduro Series and a few rounds of the EWS.
“I’m fired up to be riding Devinci bikes for the 2018 season! I feel connected to the brand and the bikes are of a proven race breed. To keep things exciting and fresh, I will be racing DH and Enduro, along with some adventure trips, on the West Coast of Canada.” – Matt Beer

Back East, the Devinci Development Racing (DDR) Team is materializing in 2018, and is composed of Rachel Pageau, who finished 2017 as Enduro and Downhill champion of the Eastern States Cup Series. In addition to defending her titles, Rachel will be participating in five EWS rounds and will take part in the North American Enduro Continental Series.

Bromont native Hugo Langevin is also part of the program. Well known in the DH scene, Hugo has scored several victories in the Canada Cup, including finishing first in the overall standings in 2016. This year, he will start five World Cups where he hopes to register in the Top-40, in addition to aiming for the Top-3 at the national level.

The DDR will also be counting on John Lefrançois, Elite champion of the 2017 Canada Cup Series, Québec DH winner and titleholder of the 2017 Québec Cup Series. In 2018, John will be taking part in several major events in North America.
“I’ve never been as excited to start a season! This is now the third year that Devinci has been supporting me, but it will be the first time I’ll be in a full program! I can now focus on the basics. I consider myself privileged to be in the Devinci family and I am very proud to represent a Québec company!” – John Lefrançois

Finally, Devinci is thrilled to continue its partnership with freerider Kenny Smith, the smooth rider with uncanny creativity. Kenny will take part in several media projects and will not stop pushing the envelope of his sport.

Finally, we would like to mention our local ambassadors who are very active in their community, namely Philippe Ricard in Québec and Adam Robbins in Ontario.

|

3/1/2018 7:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2018 8:00 AM

Trek Factory Racing Enduro Squad announced...Ruaridh Cunningham joins the team.
---------------From Trek----------------
Winton looking for overall wins with a strengthened Trek Factory Racing team

(Waterloo, WI) – The Trek Factory Racing Enduro team is proud to announce its roster for 2018. Coming back to race a full program is Katy Winton, with Casey Brown also racing a number of events. New to the team for 2018 are former Junior DH World Champion Ruaridh Cunningham of Scotland and developing talent Pedro Burns of Chile.

Katy Winton returns to the Enduro World Series after finishing in third place overall last year. Katy is keen to come back strong and climb to the top step of the Enduro World Series podium:

“I’m stoked to be continuing on the program with Trek again after the success of last year,” said Winton. “I'll be looking to build on that and move my way up the podium! Excited to welcome Ruaridh and Pedro onto the team, along with our new partners SRAM and RockShox and Endura for clothing. It's going to be a great season!”

Joining Katy for the full season is fellow Scot Ruaridh Cunningham. No stranger to a high level of competition, Ruaridh is ready to tackle his first full season of Enduro World Series racing:

"I'm really excited to be joining the Trek Factory Racing Enduro team in 2018,” said Ruaridh Cunningham. “Having ridden Trek for the majority of my downhill career, I'm stoked to be back working with such an awesome company as I switch my focus over to enduro. I've really enjoyed the switch up to my training and although many skills from my downhill background transfer over, I also understand I have a lot to learn over the coming months. With the knowledge, support, and equipment we have in the program, I know I have everything I need to make my way to the sharp end of the field in 2018."

Testing his talents in the elite category this year is Pedro Burns. After top results in the U-21 category, and a second place at Andes-Pacifico this year, Pedro comes into the season looking to impress:

“This 2018 I want to give my best—I am training hard and focusing on what’s coming,” said Pedro Burns. “In the short term, I am looking towards the first round of the EWS, where I’m the local. For the rest of the year, I hope to race as many rounds of the EWS as I can, along with the Chilean Nationals.”

Casey Brown returns to Trek Factory Racing to race select rounds of the Enduro World Series and Crankworx events.

“Stoked to have a rad season of competition ahead of me, with four EWS and four Crankworx it makes for a good balance,” said Casey Brown. “On the EWS side I’m excited to be back helping support the team and racing win some wicked cool locations. Crankworx is going to be super fun again with the Queen of Crankworx title up for grabs. Woohoo!”

|

3/1/2018 5:18 PM

The Devinci domestic initiative is so rad. Great to see a company put it's racing funding back into the regional shredders who are keeping the dream alive. If people don't know who Hugo and Rachel are now, they certainly will soon - those two are on the rise and damn fast.

|

3/1/2018 8:24 PM

Looks like troy is running a similar set of prototype boxxers like Mr. Moir
|

3/1/2018 10:48 PM

darren.mallard.5 wrote:

A ton of the RockShox athletes are on red lowers I noticed. Maybe a team thing or maybe 2019?

|

3/1/2018 11:46 PM

darren.mallard.5 wrote:

dylanemdasilva wrote:

A ton of the RockShox athletes are on red lowers I noticed. Maybe a team thing or maybe 2019?

Maybe a blackbox thingy!
What is more interesting is that since now, there were only 29er boxxer prototypes (To be honest I thought this proto was only for 29ers). So now we can be pretty sure that this new beast will be in 27"5 and 29"
Can't wait to have more details on the Chassis / damping changes

|

3/2/2018 12:08 AM

dylanemdasilva wrote:

Original Boxxers were red, so a bit of a back to the origin thing?

|

3/2/2018 1:06 AM

darren.mallard.5 wrote:

dylanemdasilva wrote:

baronKanon wrote:

Original Boxxers were red, so a bit of a back to the origin thing?

It’s a Blackbox fork. The red is a kick back to the og Boxxer.

|

Sunshine & Slippery Trail

3/2/2018 1:36 AM

|

3/2/2018 3:33 AM

Tell me what you see. There are two things to notice in total.
|

3/2/2018 3:35 AM

sideshow wrote:

29? Monster?

|

3/2/2018 4:42 AM

sideshow wrote:

1. A big ass wheel (or two)
2. New forky
3. Some sort of homing device/laser pointer/POV cam on his helmet

|

3/2/2018 4:45 AM

Big wheels
Carbon operator
Blackbox fork

|

3/2/2018 5:21 AM

Loooks SICK!

|

3/2/2018 12:01 PM

PRESS RELEASE: Cannondale Announces 2018 Enduro Team

We're kicking off the 2018 season with a new look and an eye towards all mountain adventures.

New signing Matt Simmonds brings his intense downhill focus to a new discipline as he makes the transition to race Enduro in 2018. Riding for the Cannondale Enduro team, Matt will hit international Enduro hot-spots and EWS events from Europe to North America with stops at Sea Otter and a favorite of the riders, the grassroots TDS race in California.

Matt brings with him a core group of partners both on the bike and off with Shimano, PRO, Stans NoTubes, Schwalbe and Alpinestars clothing and protective gear.

Jerome Clementz has been our leading EWS rider since 2013; he was the first EWS World Champion and one of the most successful riders in EWS and recently crowned with an EWS career award. In 2018, he will ride with more freedom to seek out new adventures and discover new lines bringing friends, old and new, along for the ride.

While not fully stepping away from racing, Jey will be more selective in events that he will tie on a race plate in 2018. He will also step into a new role mentoring the Enduro team riders on their racing to bring the Cannondale team in a new direction and make the next step in all things Enduro at EWS events.

Jerome will be throwing his leg over a full stable of Cannondales supported by SRAM, Alpinestars, and his other personal sponsors.

Marco Osborne started out as a hidden talent on the bike who was brought out of the woods in 2013 by Mark Weir, affectionately known as the Godfather of American Enduro. Now, in 2018, Marco becomes the young veteran on the Cannondale Enduro roster, and the most consistent American on the EWS circuit.

Signing on full time with the Enduro squad in 2015, he’s steadily carved his own place in the Enduro scene. Ready for the next adventure, Marco looks to build on that success with Jerome’s mentorship and team mechanic Matteo’s attention to every detail. He’ll also lean on new teammate Matt Simmonds to share some secrets from DH.

Marco carries with him his longtime supporters both on the bike and kicking around the pits with Shimano, Fox, WTB, Thule, Smith, and Alpinestars.
|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.

3/2/2018 2:48 PM

sideshow wrote:

Tons of heel rub and a LitPro?

|

3/2/2018 3:14 PM

darren.mallard.5 wrote:

It’s the 20th anniversary of the Boxxer and In my opinion the 98 boxxer pro is still the best looking boxxer to date! I’m hoping and have mentioned around Instagram that Rockshox should make a replica like they did in 08, with the silver crowns and now the red lowers are we going to see that ?

|

3/2/2018 5:14 PM

Another new gt
|

3/3/2018 9:22 AM

Could be a proto Sanction. It's been 5 years since Dan Atherton showed off the first 650b Sanction proto in the EWS so it's definitely due for a redesign.

Meanwhile, the current Force and Sensor designs are going on 6 years now.

|

3/3/2018 12:43 PM

The red boxxer could be a sponsored athlete only color like the red sid nino uses

|

3/3/2018 5:02 PM

It looks like a four bar linkage, no AOS, or any other weird thing.

|

3/3/2018 6:48 PM

not team rumors but rippers on their new bikes from aussie nats today - frew on commencal, dean and jack on their intenses, mick on his polygon, connor on what def looks like a 29er and troy on his canyon.

|

3/4/2018 3:22 AM

Connor is 100% on a 29er, just look at axel positioning on the lowers.

Jack's 29er

Troy's 27.5

and Connor's 29er

|

3/4/2018 1:30 PM

Another new fork?
|

3/4/2018 3:19 PM

LTrumpore wrote:
Another new fork?

Looks almost like a Fox 36 Performance elite with rubber or plastic covers over the controls, makes some sense seeing there is a Float X2 on the rear.

|

Snoopin around lookin for the best trails and sketchiest lines