2018 Racing Rumors

Create New Tag

3/16/2018 3:08 PM

As i mentioned in the comments of the press release, where is the Emerald?

3/16/2018 4:25 PM

More blackbox forks in the wild

3/16/2018 4:25 PM

sspomer wrote:

Giant sent us pics of their team bikes. Looking DIALED!
https://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Giant-Factory-Off-Road-Team-Bikes,11610/2018-Giant-Factory-Off-Road-Team-Bikes-Marcelo-Gutierrezs-Giant-Glory-Advanced,120586/sspomer,2

jonathon Simonetti wrote:

Is it just me or does that fork look like it has 12” of travel

Steam Roller wrote:

You never know, the DVO team is made up of old marzocchi guys... Bringing back the super monster T?!

Whatever it has...it looks bitchin'

3/16/2018 5:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/16/2018 5:13 PM

Holditflat_mitch wrote:

More blackbox forks in the wild

Pom Pom was the first person to leak the new boxxer in December last year it didn’t stay up on her page for long as I’m pretty RS would of been on the phone straight away telling her to take it down

3/17/2018 2:16 AM

Primoz wrote:

As i mentioned in the comments of the press release, where is the Emerald?

I think on the racing point of view, the weight might be a concern with the Emerald... If the Onyx achieve a similar performance damping wise (as you can put in the same cartridge as the Emerald) with, let's say, 500g (don't know exactly the weight difference between the 2) less than the Emerald, then I don't see the point for racers to use the latter.
But I agree it would make a killer bike with the Emerald on front!

3/17/2018 5:30 AM

This was also asked on Pinkbike and the DVO rep there said they are updating the Emerald, upgrading it with the same damping the Onyx has (apparently the Onyx has a newer damper) and dropping about half a pound off the weight.

3/17/2018 7:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2018 7:34 AM

With a new season about to kick off there's sure to be no shortage of strategically released prototypes and new parts out in the wild. Maybe it's time to start a seperate forum topic?

Bikeyoke Revive w/ toolless bleed?

New colors for Yeti. A return to turquoise and yellow

Judging from the axel the Gehrig's new fork is in fact a DT Swiss (?)

3/17/2018 11:12 AM

Bikeyoke revive has been like that with the little lever since they launched the revised internals last year.

3/17/2018 2:40 PM

Dickscruttock wrote:

Bikeyoke revive has been like that with the little lever since they launched the revised internals last year.

Ah,thanks for the info I hadn’t seen it before. I did double check their website first but all I found were pics of the original design. Has it not been updated or am I just looking in the wrong place?

3/17/2018 5:32 PM

general lee wrote:

Ah,thanks for the info I hadn’t seen it before. I did double check their website first but all I found were pics of the original design. Has it not been updated or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Well I'd say you're definitely looking in the wrong place...

In spare parts:

https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/quick-reset-lever.html

3/18/2018 6:39 AM

Aksel_Lfft wrote:

I think on the racing point of view, the weight might be a concern with the Emerald... If the Onyx achieve a similar performance damping wise (as you can put in the same cartridge as the Emerald) with, let's say, 500g (don't know exactly the weight difference between the 2) less than the Emerald, then I don't see the point for racers to use the latter.
But I agree it would make a killer bike with the Emerald on front!

Emerald is ~3.5kg, for example boxxer wc 27.5" is bellow 2.7kg. Thats enough of a reason not to use it...

3/18/2018 1:47 PM

What is it?

3/18/2018 2:05 PM

What do you mean what is it? It's a Trek...

3/18/2018 2:07 PM

Still only Picchiottinos Trek 29er...

3/18/2018 2:07 PM

Primoz wrote:

Looks like a session

3/18/2018 3:41 PM

Primoz wrote:

PeteB wrote:

Looks like a session

no trek...

3/18/2018 9:27 PM

Primoz wrote:

PeteB wrote:

Looks like a session

killer1999 wrote:

no trek...

looks like the same bike to me

3/18/2018 10:43 PM

Only because it is, in fact, the same bike.

Isn't it obvious Gwin is trolling everybody? You thinking this is something it isn't (a 29-er YT bike) is exactly what he wants.

3/19/2018 1:06 AM

If anyone bothered to watch the clips, you can see Gwin’s bike under the tent in the background and it’s his YT still covered up like the picture leaked a few weeks ago.

3/19/2018 4:21 AM

Not only Aaron Gwin, Angel ride prototype this weekend In Portugal Cup!

3/19/2018 5:21 AM

Sure its not just YT's telemetry setup, or hiding some new shock bits....?

3/19/2018 5:48 AM

Bob Chicken wrote:

Sure its not just YT's telemetry setup, or hiding some new shock bits....?

Wireless telemetry setup? Small chips in the fork and shock that send data via bluetooth to a data logger hidden under the covers.

Just a guess.

3/19/2018 8:32 AM

Spottet this trailer last weekend in Finale....
Anyone know what brand this is?
Looks like a few 29er? :O

3/19/2018 8:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/19/2018 8:40 AM

santa cruz syndicate and WD-40 make it official
----------------------

WD-40 BIKE Begins New Era with Santa Cruz Syndicate
WD-40 BIKE chosen as the official lubrication and cleaning product by the Santa Cruz Syndicate downhill race team.

The 2018 UCI Downhill World Cup season sees the Santa Cruz Syndicate and WD-40 BIKE working together to deliver an entirely new level in maintenance and lubricant performance.

The Croatian island of Lošinj plays host to the first round of the series and is an all new venue on the circuit. Competitors are faced with a suite of variables - new terrain on an unfamiliar course with a threat of uncertain weather. So how do you prepare for the unknown?

“We’ll be ready for anything,” says Syndicate race mechanic Doug Hatfield. “From dry and dusty to wet and muddy, conditions can change in an instant during a World Cup weekend but that doesn’t phase us. We make sure the team bikes are thoroughly cleaned and methodically prepped after each training and qualification run. Nothing is left to chance, right up to race day.”

Doug has been wrenching on the UCI World Cup circuit since 2001 and has experienced every kind of condition imaginable. He is the principal mechanic for fast young American DH talent, Luca Shaw.

“One of the biggest advantages of being on the Syndicate is the shared knowledge amongst the team” says Luca. “The mechanics and racers all help each other be prepared for whatever the mountain throws our way. Sometimes our approach can seem a little bit strange to others, but we’re all encouraged to be ourselves and find whatever works best for us, no matter how weird that may be!”

Luca races alongside team mates Loris Vergier of France and the winningest DH racer of all time, Greg Minnaar of South Africa.

Together, their personalities reflect everything the Syndicate stands for - a trio of focused athletes who know how to have as much fun off the race track as on it. We share their attitude and are proud to be helping the guys prepare for their biggest moments of the year. Together we’ll build a new legacy as one of the most effective race products in downhill mountain biking history.

For all the action in Croatia, follow the Syndicate on Instagram!

About WD-40: Think back to your first bicycle. Your second…and beyond. Chances are, WD-40 Multi-Use Product was there. Now, a whole new line of bike-specific products is ready to ride: WD-40 BIKE®. Developed for the whole bicycle, WD-40 BIKE has been meticulously tested to provide superior cleaning, lubrication and protection. When it comes to total bike care, trust the name that’s been there all along. WD-40 BIKE.

3/19/2018 8:39 AM

Petder wrote:

Spottet this trailer last weekend in Finale....
Anyone know what brand this is?
Looks like a few 29er? :O

Looks like NS, with their current DH bike, and a prototype 29er. Did you see any of the riders?

3/19/2018 8:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/19/2018 8:48 AM

Camb3r15 wrote:

Looks like NS, with their current DH bike, and a prototype 29er. Did you see any of the riders?

Well since i don't know them too well, i can't really tell you, but there was a girl on the same colour frame. But she was clearly on a 27.5 inch bike. What i remember is that they whre rocking the leatt-gear

3/19/2018 9:34 AM

Camb3r15 wrote:

considering the NSBIKES on all the downtubes that makes sense.

3/19/2018 11:27 AM

The NS Factory Team is on 29ers... Check out Noel Niederbergers Insta Profile

3/19/2018 1:22 PM

Robin_Schaub wrote:

I saw that too. But it looks like that they are using the 27.5 inch frames from last year and just put big wheels in. The raw version on the trailer could be the next step I think?

3/19/2018 1:48 PM

Robin_Schaub wrote:

BJobs69 wrote:

I saw that too. But it looks like that they are using the 27.5 inch frames from last year and just put big wheels in. The raw version on the trailer could be the next step I think?

I think so too.
if you have a look at the link, you can see that it is different, and that there is a bar missing on the seatstay.