No Vaccine, No Lourdes World Cup for Racers?

sspomer
1/19/2022 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2022 10:05am

2 months away for Lourdes World Cup and based on what's happened so far with Djokovic (unvaccinated pro tennis player) and the French Open with his attendance in question, what about Lourdes World Cup DH for unvaccinated racers? "no exceptions" from French Sports Ministry right now, but also "things might change" as time goes on.

some quotes from a yahoo sports article
...on Sunday, the French parliament overwhelmingly approved a law requiring vaccination for anyone at restaurants, sports arenas and other venues. Previously unvaccinated persons were allowed to enter with a valid negative test. That incudes the French Open and the French Sports Ministry confirmed on Monday there would be no exemptions.

The French Sports Ministry confirmed there would be no exemptions to Reuters, but said the overall situation might change before the draw in May. Via Reuters:

"This will apply to everyone who is a spectator or a professional sportsperson. And this until further notice," the ministry said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/novak-djokovic-cant-play-at-french-open-unless…

could world cup racers be impacted? we'll see i guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Q1eB7-cb4
|
griz
1/19/2022 5:14pm
Personally, I think it’s great. I wish the U.S. would lay down some authority too. There might be a few riders who opt not to get vaccinated, but I don’t think it will be any of the top contenders. Bring on the racing!
adamdigby
1/19/2022 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2022 5:17pm
There was a "had COVID but recovered recently" allowance previously that didn't require vaccination, but I couldn't find if that still applies in the new rules out of the 6 articles I read. Racers will be required to have a booster to be considered "vaccinated" if their most recent dose is over 4 months in the past, however the USA says boosters should be taken no LESS than 5 months (2 if Johnson & Johnson single dose was taken) from second dose, so it's possible some USA athletes could have some trouble with the one month overlap.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

*Should be noted that this law, if still in effect, will also apply to the World Championships in Les Gets.
Masjo
1/19/2022 6:15pm
There are no work arounds in this law for those who have been previously infected or had a recent negative test.
The rule states that unvaccinated people are not allowed to visit a 'sporting venue', which would include fans but also all support staff for an event. Hopefully that will not have too much of an effect on team preparations for the weekend.
thejake
1/19/2022 6:57pm
griz wrote:
Personally, I think it’s great. I wish the U.S. would lay down some authority too. There might be a few riders who opt not to get...
Personally, I think it’s great. I wish the U.S. would lay down some authority too. There might be a few riders who opt not to get vaccinated, but I don’t think it will be any of the top contenders. Bring on the racing!
Ah yes, don’t we all just yearn for an authoritarian dictatorship to keep us safe.
1/19/2022 7:04pm
French folks. History is ripe with so many French failures and tactics. Come at me with ChonaFlu shot, mine is 9mm of prevention..shot for shot. Shame the US had to change the definition of "vaccine" for their deboggle and lies.

Lets go Brandon!
nskerb
1/19/2022 7:44pm
griz wrote:
Personally, I think it’s great. I wish the U.S. would lay down some authority too. There might be a few riders who opt not to get...
You must not realize that professional athletes, though a very small portion of the population, are on average likely the least vaccinated demographic you can find.
metadave
1/19/2022 7:54pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2022 7:55pm
French folks. History is ripe with so many French failures and tactics. Come at me with ChonaFlu shot, mine is 9mm of prevention..shot for shot. Shame...
French folks. History is ripe with so many French failures and tactics. Come at me with ChonaFlu shot, mine is 9mm of prevention..shot for shot. Shame the US had to change the definition of "vaccine" for their deboggle and lies.

Lets go Brandon!
Let's go Brandon is the dumbest work around I have ever heard. If you want to say something just say it, don't act like some grade 3 kid scared to swear in front of their grand parents.

Also, saying you'd shoot some one with a 9mm on the internet over your opinion pretty much sums up that you probably shouldn't own a gun and have a problem.
1/19/2022 7:58pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2022 7:59pm
griz wrote:
nskerb wrote:
You must not realize that professional athletes, though a very small portion of the population, are on average likely the least vaccinated demographic you can find.
Yea seems Griz thinks all the top world cup racers are vaxxed. Haha. Would be shocked if it was over 50% if you're including XC and DH.

nskerb
1/19/2022 8:06pm
Yea seems Griz thinks all the top world cup racers are vaxxed. Haha. Would be shocked if it was over 50% if you're including XC and...
Yea seems Griz thinks all the top world cup racers are vaxxed. Haha. Would be shocked if it was over 50% if you're including XC and DH.

Yeah I’m pretty pro vax but if I’m relying on my body to make a living I’m definitely gonna wait until some long term data comes in.
The guys were talking about mostly are the peak of whatever class they are competing in. Generally devoting their entire life and forgoing education to make it big. I can’t blame them for not wanting a shot that hasn’t been around a very long time.
metadave
1/19/2022 8:34pm
I'm sure it depends on what country your from. If not getting it restricted your ability to train and be coached, Id bet that wouldn't slow anyone down from getting it.

Having ridden with a few athletes from the Canadian Olympic team (that weren't there for cycling) this summer after they got back from the games, almost the entire Canadian team had at least one dose before they left so I don't think high lever athletes for the most part are ducking out based on training and ability and more so on opinion.
dirtworks911
1/19/2022 8:40pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2022 8:52pm
Unlike dictator Griz who has been watching too much CNN, I feel any aspect of a racer's medical health aught to be made by the racer.

I also think it's absolutely ridiculous to mandate such medical requirements when it's neither been proven safe or effective. I'm seeing way too many first hand complications (specifically heart related issues) from young and healthy individuals that statistically would have been fine had they acquired their immunity naturally by contracting COVID.

We've turned this into a much larger mess than it needed to be. If you want the vaccine, get the vaccine. If you don't want the vaccine, don't get it. Live your life.
ballr
1/19/2022 9:04pm
Can you shitbirds keep your worthless political opinions out of this thread and keep the conversation based around who we can confirm will be competing at the first World Cup? The UCI isn’t the French government so it’s not (yet) a problem of the sport or its governing body. Try to focus and go troll your uneducated (unless you’re an epidemiologist) dreck somewhere else.
Atkisa
1/19/2022 11:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2022 11:20pm
America, land of the free, where it is your right to burden the population as a whole with the consequence of your bonkers views on medical science.

If I was a racer I'd be much more worried about the long term effects of getting a respiratory illness than the fact that someone's mum's cousin's friend had a reaction to the vaccine
1/19/2022 11:29pm
French folks. History is ripe with so many French failures and tactics. Come at me with ChonaFlu shot, mine is 9mm of prevention..shot for shot. Shame...

Lets go Brandon!
metadave wrote:
Let's go Brandon is the dumbest work around I have ever heard. If you want to say something just say it, don't act like some grade...
Let's go Brandon is the dumbest work around I have ever heard. If you want to say something just say it, don't act like some grade 3 kid scared to swear in front of their grand parents.

Also, saying you'd shoot some one with a 9mm on the internet over your opinion pretty much sums up that you probably shouldn't own a gun and have a problem.
Um, equal trade, shot for shot. But, what do I know? I am only in healthcare administration all day everyday. The number of shots we spray in sinks (and provide documentation as if it was injected). If you had your lemming shot...why do you care (other than its proven to be just about worthless...all brands). Easy or the lemmings to pass judgment. Please, try to get educated.
1/19/2022 11:33pm
Oh...but, we allow smoking and drinking and fried foods....and and and....please. Again, shot for shot. That is what this will come to sooner or later.
metadave
1/20/2022 12:13am

Lets go Brandon!
metadave wrote:
Let's go Brandon is the dumbest work around I have ever heard. If you want to say something just say it, don't act like some grade...

Um, equal trade, shot for shot. But, what do I know? I am only in healthcare administration all day everyday. The number of shots we spray...
Um, equal trade, shot for shot. But, what do I know? I am only in healthcare administration all day everyday. The number of shots we spray in sinks (and provide documentation as if it was injected). If you had your lemming shot...why do you care (other than its proven to be just about worthless...all brands). Easy or the lemmings to pass judgment. Please, try to get educated.
As per my last post, pretty sure I said nothing about the vaccine, the people who got it, it's effectiveness, healthcare or anything else related in my previous post.
Atkisa
1/20/2022 12:23am

Lets go Brandon!
metadave wrote:

Um, equal trade, shot for shot. But, what do I know? I am only in healthcare administration all day everyday. The number of shots we spray...
"as a participant in fraud, you can trust me on my word"
LLLLL
1/20/2022 1:13am

Lets go Brandon!
😂 what are you scared of?
LLLLL
1/20/2022 1:17am
Yea seems Griz thinks all the top world cup racers are vaxxed. Haha. Would be shocked if it was over 50% if you're including XC and...

nskerb wrote:
Yeah I’m pretty pro vax but if I’m relying on my body to make a living I’m definitely gonna wait until some long term data comes...
Yeah I’m pretty pro vax but if I’m relying on my body to make a living I’m definitely gonna wait until some long term data comes in.
The guys were talking about mostly are the peak of whatever class they are competing in. Generally devoting their entire life and forgoing education to make it big. I can’t blame them for not wanting a shot that hasn’t been around a very long time.
This has been the biggest medical trial in history, seems to last 6 months so it’s pretty light weight.
gibbon
1/20/2022 1:29am

Lets go Brandon!
Florida......
1/20/2022 1:51am
Let's be honest, it's their rules, their terms to enter their country. Even most of Europe, if you can't accept that don't race and don't complain. The vaccine gives you a opportunitiy
PisgahGnar
1/20/2022 2:07am
Unlike dictator Griz who has been watching too much CNN, I feel any aspect of a racer's medical health aught to be made by the racer...
Unlike dictator Griz who has been watching too much CNN, I feel any aspect of a racer's medical health aught to be made by the racer.

I also think it's absolutely ridiculous to mandate such medical requirements when it's neither been proven safe or effective. I'm seeing way too many first hand complications (specifically heart related issues) from young and healthy individuals that statistically would have been fine had they acquired their immunity naturally by contracting COVID.

We've turned this into a much larger mess than it needed to be. If you want the vaccine, get the vaccine. If you don't want the vaccine, don't get it. Live your life.
I’d love to see your data because the actual studies say the exact opposite. There are very few potential serious reactions to the vaccines compared to the multitude of long term complications that can result from contracting the disease. Speaking specifically about heart issues there is a greater chance that you end up with myocarditis from covid infection than from the vaccine:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg25133462-800-myocarditis-is-more…

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01630-0
1/20/2022 2:47am
Pisgah - congrats on drinking the Kill-Aid. Our data, you know, at our facilities where we see our patients does not at all correlate with the narrative that you are reading.

We had a PT just last week (very gifted MTN rider). He was presenting with abdominal pain. DX was quite clear and he was scheduled for the surgical unit. THREE TIMES he refused a ChinaFlu test (as is his right). While he was under anesthesia for a laparoscopic appendectomy they tested him (against his will) and after that....you guessed it! Hospitalized for ChinaFlu! (he was there a total of four hours).

Contrary to that, a PT who is a years long smoker, + for ChinaFlu, obese and fully symptomatic (and now dead)...well, he is in the same number pool as the asymptomatic cyclist (who is going to sue the facility for a TON of money, and win). According to the numbers, life long smoker died of ChinaFlu, smoking had nothing to do with it.

Further, our PT's (who are not getting plasma or Ivermectin/NAC at their option) are the ones who end up in patient, of those, over 99% are just fine in 48 hours...the entire inpatient process is almost as if we are back in the 70's where everyone was welcome like motel 6, not like the "Treat them and Street them" that we should be doing - first time, every time.

But, carry on. If you got the shot....why the fuck do you care if someone didnt? You have a condom on your pecker full time just in case someone in the room has herpes?
1/20/2022 2:49am

Lets go Brandon!
gibbon wrote:
Florida......
Yes, where we have among the lowest ChinaFlu death rates in the nation, despite having the highest rate of Elderly in the nation. NY, NJ, CA and others who have idiotic mandates sure wish their death rates were as low as ours.....

Why again is it AOC was just here? With out a face diaper?
Atkisa
1/20/2022 3:17am
Pisgah - congrats on drinking the Kill-Aid. Our data, you know, at our facilities where we see our patients does not at all correlate with the...
Pisgah - congrats on drinking the Kill-Aid. Our data, you know, at our facilities where we see our patients does not at all correlate with the narrative that you are reading.

We had a PT just last week (very gifted MTN rider). He was presenting with abdominal pain. DX was quite clear and he was scheduled for the surgical unit. THREE TIMES he refused a ChinaFlu test (as is his right). While he was under anesthesia for a laparoscopic appendectomy they tested him (against his will) and after that....you guessed it! Hospitalized for ChinaFlu! (he was there a total of four hours).

Contrary to that, a PT who is a years long smoker, + for ChinaFlu, obese and fully symptomatic (and now dead)...well, he is in the same number pool as the asymptomatic cyclist (who is going to sue the facility for a TON of money, and win). According to the numbers, life long smoker died of ChinaFlu, smoking had nothing to do with it.

Further, our PT's (who are not getting plasma or Ivermectin/NAC at their option) are the ones who end up in patient, of those, over 99% are just fine in 48 hours...the entire inpatient process is almost as if we are back in the 70's where everyone was welcome like motel 6, not like the "Treat them and Street them" that we should be doing - first time, every time.

But, carry on. If you got the shot....why the fuck do you care if someone didnt? You have a condom on your pecker full time just in case someone in the room has herpes?
So, in conclusion, no data then?
ghirox
1/20/2022 3:29am
Let's be honest, it's their rules, their terms to enter their country. Even most of Europe, if you can't accept that don't race and don't complain...
Let's be honest, it's their rules, their terms to enter their country. Even most of Europe, if you can't accept that don't race and don't complain. The vaccine gives you a opportunitiy
Next year: mandatory thumb amputation to race in the US. It's their rules, their terms to enter their country.
If you can't accept that don't race and don't complain. Mandatory thumb amputation gives you an opportunity.
Great logic!
iRider
1/20/2022 3:56am
Let's be honest, it's their rules, their terms to enter their country. Even most of Europe, if you can't accept that don't race and don't complain...
ghirox wrote:
Next year: mandatory thumb amputation to race in the US. It's their rules, their terms to enter their country. If you can't accept that don't race...
Next year: mandatory thumb amputation to race in the US. It's their rules, their terms to enter their country.
If you can't accept that don't race and don't complain. Mandatory thumb amputation gives you an opportunity.
Great logic!
Can you imagine someone demands entry to the US but does not want to obey the rules that are set for entry? I cannot see that going well. So I think France and Europe have the same right to enforce their rules and laws, especially considering that something of so little importance as a sporting event is affected.

Wasn't it a couple of years ago when some DH racer was not allowed to go to Canada to participate in the Mt StAnne WC race because he had a DUI in the us?
1/20/2022 3:58am

Lets go Brandon!
gibbon wrote:
Florida......
Yes, where we have among the lowest ChinaFlu death rates in the nation, despite having the highest rate of Elderly in the nation. NY, NJ, CA...
Yes, where we have among the lowest ChinaFlu death rates in the nation, despite having the highest rate of Elderly in the nation. NY, NJ, CA and others who have idiotic mandates sure wish their death rates were as low as ours.....

Why again is it AOC was just here? With out a face diaper?
Started typing a response but after a couple years of seeing your posts decided it wasn’t worth the time.

Where’s the block feature vital? I don’t need a safe space but this site could be more enjoyable if I could select to not see what one or two people has to say.
1/20/2022 4:02am
Started typing a response but after a couple years of seeing your posts decided it wasn’t worth the time. Where’s the block feature vital? I don’t...
Started typing a response but after a couple years of seeing your posts decided it wasn’t worth the time.

Where’s the block feature vital? I don’t need a safe space but this site could be more enjoyable if I could select to not see what one or two people has to say.
Yep - I literally just looked for a block or ignore feature. Can we get one please?
piggy
1/20/2022 4:22am
ballr wrote:
Can you shitbirds keep your worthless political opinions out of this thread and keep the conversation based around who we can confirm will be competing at...
Can you shitbirds keep your worthless political opinions out of this thread and keep the conversation based around who we can confirm will be competing at the first World Cup? The UCI isn’t the French government so it’s not (yet) a problem of the sport or its governing body. Try to focus and go troll your uneducated (unless you’re an epidemiologist) dreck somewhere else.
I’d bet most riders are vaxxed. The American riders, probably being the exception. Gwin seems unlikely to be vaxxed. Not sure about Dak or Neko but I’d be inclined to think they’re also not. Be interesting to see who shows up in France.

Post a reply to: No Vaccine, No Lourdes World Cup for Racers?

The Latest