Amaury Pierron Posts

mwolpin
Edited Date/Time 8/6/2021 8:42am
So a number of us had a long conversation about Cam Zink’s terrible posts. Are we going to ignore Amaury’s? IMO, this is way worse than Zink’s gaffe.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/amaury-pierron-and-commencal-21-team-manage…
|
Nunes76
7/23/2021 10:57am
Well
I am not a racist person by any means, and I think America and Americans nowadays are way too serious and getting offended about everything! I look at that post and I see a joke, could be a bad joke, not funny whatsoever, but he’s joking about black culture/music or whatever! He’s French, I am sure he has black or Arabic friends.

Let’s talk about mountain bikes instead my friend!
7/23/2021 12:23pm
Difficult to scale ignorance. I imagine culture has quite a bit to do with just how poorly he’s going to come across in the us.

He seems like a super genuine and good natured dude. His apology seemed real. Not the first and won’t be the last pro to do something dumb on the gram or at an event. As a kid from the suburbs probably 1/2 my fifth grade class had a haircut or outfit straight out of a rap video. I assume his mimicry is out of fandom as well, but it is wildly tone deaf in 2021.
7/23/2021 2:25pm
I have seen some people say that Amaury didn't understand the context of what he was posting because he is French. Maybe that is true--we have no way of knowing what he did or did not know before he posted. It is possible that he did not fully understand what he was saying because it was not in his first language. If that were true, I still think it would show a different kind of poor judgment--it's not a good idea to publicly use a word without knowing its meaning. But ultimately, as I said before, none of us here can prove what was in his mind at the time.

Regardless of his intention, it was an ignorant and offensive post. It is good that he apologized. I hope that he learned something. His future actions will be the best evidence of his intentions, in my opinion. If this was genuinely a mistake, and Amaury believes what he said in his apology, then hopefully this is not something he will repeat.
dolface
7/23/2021 4:53pm
Nunes76 wrote:
Well I am not a racist person by any means, and I think America and Americans nowadays are way too serious and getting offended about everything...
Well
I am not a racist person by any means, and I think America and Americans nowadays are way too serious and getting offended about everything! I look at that post and I see a joke, could be a bad joke, not funny whatsoever, but he’s joking about black culture/music or whatever! He’s French, I am sure he has black or Arabic friends.

Nunes76
7/23/2021 5:57pm
Nunes76 wrote:
Well I am not a racist person by any means, and I think America and Americans nowadays are way too serious and getting offended about everything...
Well

dolface wrote:
Damm, all these years I lived on ignorance: if it’s on the internet then it must be true!!! I am officially a racist!
Have a great discussion fellas, I m out to bike checks and some other interesting stuff

Cheers
thejake
7/23/2021 9:03pm
He is a little “unhinged” to quote Mick Hannah, I don’t care about his hair cut or some stupid video. I just want to see him back riding a bike like a maniac.
7/24/2021 3:46pm
France is not America. This is very hard for some people to understand. I speak French and have spent a good amount of time in France. It's a totally different culture. They look at American culture through the fog of distance and a second language. He wouldnt understand for a second why a word can be said by some people but not by others. He should obviously by educated as he is now an international athlete, but I don't hold anything against him. Live and learn.
Mtbforlife4
7/25/2021 6:45am
Everyone saying "he is french he doesn't understand "American" issues yada yada" This type of thing isn't only an issue in America. He can't play dumb like he doesn't know. It is everywhere. After a quick check, he follows Lewis Hamilton so at the very least he has seen the plethora of posts from Lewis about the issue.
Nunes76
7/25/2021 7:53am
You know what? He is French, and he really didn’t understand aboutt it! He apologized the next day because someone told him it was a really bad move!! In France there’s no notion of the N word, and why should we have? It’s an American issue, not a international one. We don’t get it, some respect it because we’ve seen it on movies and comments, even so, we don’t get it. Because the USA isn’t the center of the universe, and in France , we never had laundry’s for “whites” only, or restaurants or dinners where black fellas were not allowed or served. You call others ignorants, but in Europe I see black guys at Political offices at the EU in Brussels, it doesn’t matter if he’s dutch, Italian or whatever, if the guy is good for the job, he is good for the job, he won’t be restrained about his skin color or take benefits from it. And he’s respected for it. Are we supposed to burn in hell if we joke about Rap music or black people? Come on!! As Morgan Freeman said once: there’s no black or white mens, there’s only mens! Some posts above I ve been called a racist right here on a mtb website, something some of my colored friends would laugh about it.
A mtb website...
God bless America! I am very , hugely proud to be French!!
But I m an asshole, what do I know

Masjo
7/25/2021 9:07am
It's not a good image to have for Red Bull, World Cup DH, and MTB in general. Whatever you think or he thinks about it, it was wrong to post and it will turn away some from my the scene and the sport.
Does that mean he isn't sorry or regretful? No, but its already out there now. Maybe he didn't gully understand via translation (though every language has their derogatory terms, including French) but it still happened. If I thought I had a fake gun but it was real and I shot someone, I still shot someone and they are still dead. Unfortunately the damage is done.
As for history France does not have the exact same past as the USA, but it does have a pretty long and brutal history with colonialism in Africa, including Algiers and Senegal. They were enslaving and indoctrinating people for their benefit as well.
Its less a politics thing and more a human rights thing. If someone came here and saw banter about how cool a rider is but then sees posts disrespecting their culture, are they going to stick with the sport? No, and that sucks. Riding with friends is the best part of riding.
Verbl Kint
7/25/2021 9:48am
As a sponsored international athlete, particularly one that has travelled to the US more than once, the expectation is that the athlete knows what not to say, especially in the wake of the events of the past year and the civil rights protests that were seen all over.

Unfortunately, the nuances of culture are not easily translated even to those who speak the language fluently, let alone to a foreigner who barely speaks it.

Truth is, what Amaury posted is a racial slur. Is he racist? I honestly don't think so. However, if he posts or posted a similar racial slur in French, and uses a very French context to it, then his sponsors should consider pulling the plug.
7/25/2021 11:16am
Beyond possible misunderstood connotations about the word France also has a very different idea when it comes to censorship and political correctness then the us. Saying something a little out of the box or that pushes norms isn’t as unorthodox as it is here. Context is taken into account much more than general black and white way Americans tend to look at things. And beyond that race has much less of a focus than other ways of identifying yourself such as ethnicity, religion, or other things.

Again amaury is an idiot for not knowing better. But it’s not the same as if an American racer had done the same thing.
Atkisa
7/25/2021 1:34pm
Nunes76 wrote:
You know what? He is French, and he really didn’t understand aboutt it! He apologized the next day because someone told him it was a really...
You know what? He is French, and he really didn’t understand aboutt it! He apologized the next day because someone told him it was a really bad move!! In France there’s no notion of the N word, and why should we have? It’s an American issue, not a international one. We don’t get it, some respect it because we’ve seen it on movies and comments, even so, we don’t get it. Because the USA isn’t the center of the universe, and in France , we never had laundry’s for “whites” only, or restaurants or dinners where black fellas were not allowed or served. You call others ignorants, but in Europe I see black guys at Political offices at the EU in Brussels, it doesn’t matter if he’s dutch, Italian or whatever, if the guy is good for the job, he is good for the job, he won’t be restrained about his skin color or take benefits from it. And he’s respected for it. Are we supposed to burn in hell if we joke about Rap music or black people? Come on!! As Morgan Freeman said once: there’s no black or white mens, there’s only mens! Some posts above I ve been called a racist right here on a mtb website, something some of my colored friends would laugh about it.
A mtb website...
God bless America! I am very , hugely proud to be French!!
But I m an asshole, what do I know

Ah yes, Europe, a land famously free from racism....

I'm sure that all the people drowning in the Mediterranean or the English channel for having the temerity to be brown would agree with you....

Personally I've found much of the reaction to his post very disappointing. It's mostly along the lines of "it's too personally inconvenient for us to think that he might not have innocently posted a racial slur because we enjoy his bike riding so let's not bother and all agree he's a nice guy"
nskerb
7/25/2021 9:11pm
Whole lot of adults mad about words.
7/30/2021 2:56pm
Reading that Muc-Off is apparently rescinding? withholding? their sponsorship for the rest of the season based on this incident. (Question marks because I'm not sure of the exact financial details.) And funding some kind of training/educational course for Amaury.

Glad to see it.
mwolpin
7/30/2021 3:20pm
From my perspective, it’s not about the corn rows, but the combination of them with the use of the N word. I’m sorry, unless you just woke up today in the middle of nowhere, you know the significance of the N word. It was a BS excuse and poor apology, especially from a world-class athlete that has traveled the world.

And kudos to Muc-Off: https://m.pinkbike.com/news/muc-off-withdraws-commencal-21-sponsorship-…
brash
7/30/2021 4:32pm
well he is hanging out in Lewis Hamiltons Mercedes pits now.... Hasn't lost the Monster deal it seems.
PisgahGnar
7/31/2021 7:07am
mwolpin wrote:
From my perspective, it’s not about the corn rows, but the combination of them with the use of the N word. I’m sorry, unless you just...
From my perspective, it’s not about the corn rows, but the combination of them with the use of the N word. I’m sorry, unless you just woke up today in the middle of nowhere, you know the significance of the N word. It was a BS excuse and poor apology, especially from a world-class athlete that has traveled the world.

And kudos to Muc-Off: https://m.pinkbike.com/news/muc-off-withdraws-commencal-21-sponsorship-…
Also ignorance of hate is not an excuse for perpetuating hateful words and thoughts. Maybe he's just some rural French kid who doesn't speak much English and thought the words were cool. I don't believe it, but, it doesn't matter. He should understand the seriousness and consequences of his actions. Mucoff is pulling out while at the same time ensuring he is educated on racial stereotyping.
Rol
7/31/2021 7:23am
Hey Mericans.

You are taking yourself to serious. Many people here do net have english as first language and where not raised in americain culture. You should accept that a joke is a joke. Is was not the best but hey, it was a joke.

In my opinion this became way fo big just trough social media. Social media are bad. Very bad.

Peace out to all the keyboard worriors that will now eat me alive.

Leben und leben lassen
Vivre et laisser vivre
adamdigby
7/31/2021 2:40pm
It should be noted that Muc-Off is not pulling its sponsorship from Amaury’s team, only Comencal 21 where Alex Marin and Angel Saurez are. Charlie Julia is that teams manager and Amaury’s post was a repost of Charlie’s story (plus some text).
7/31/2021 3:10pm
Stupid. Good thing is, MUC Off will do something. Bad thing is, they do something stupid. Pierron will wearimg MuC Off clothing in the next races...Angel is not part of Pierron's post and feel the consequences...
brash
7/31/2021 4:16pm
Anyone find it remotely ironic that muc off are pulling sponsorship when their ad campaigns are not exactly PC themselves.

Google image search "muc off girl" to be met with scantly clad girls holding mucoff products.

comparing apples to oranges...... sort of, mildly hypocritical..... yep.

8/1/2021 1:08am
Meh. They paid a model to use sex to sell a product. I think you gotta be pretty uptight to be upset about that. Kind of prefer it to pay hot stock model to pretend to be a mountain biker or the give sponsor dollars/gear to mildly attractive outdoors hobbylife instababe instead of bad ass biker lady. Cause nobody seems to bat an eye at that but a little cleavage and the outrage ensues.

Only thing really gross is when brands have pushed their sponsored gals into sexualizing themselves.

I think muc offs handling of situation is fairly fit. A team manager should be held to a higher standard than a rider, and it’s not like they are avoiding being critical of their highest profile athlete.

Also with how many people they sponsor muc off must be doing something right. Maybe their ads is just a commentary on how the money is in fluids that stick and fluids that lube.
Nunes76
8/1/2021 5:57am
The worst thing about all this is his taste of music!
He should be educated
Let there be lights, drums, guitars....
🤘🏻
jeff.brines
8/1/2021 6:42am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2021 6:48am
Our inability to contextualize is very interesting to me.

This was a stupid thing done by Pierron. Hateful and racist? Well, that depends on how you define "hate" and "racist" I suppose.

It has to be confusing as hell to hear your music heroes use words you are not allowed to use. This is obvious to those of us in the US, but it also reminds me a little bit of the opening scene to opening scene to Office Space. Who among us (who like hip hop) hasn't said a bar or two out loud in the privacy of your car that 100% you would never say in public?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XASNM1XEQPs

Don't forget, he's a kid (relatively speaking). There is nothing in what he did that remotely suggests he is trying to perpetuate hateful, racist ideals. If anything, he's trying to emulate the culture he looks UP to.

All that said, its 2021. Navigating this should be something you are able to do as a top rung athlete. Moreover, Its 100% something you should be able to do as a TM. In fact, I'd say it should be in the job description.

Though I think overly woke cancel culture types are not good for society, I also don't think its all that bad of an idea for him to be educated on the nuance to "all this". For no other reason, so he doesn't post other stuff in the same vein.

Idiots like me can post whatever I want with little consequence to my career. I can get into the nuance of this stuff. I can question trans issues in racing, ask where the line is with respect to "racism" vs "tasteless joke". But if I was a top rung athlete, I'd want to know where those line are and steer as FAR away from them as possible.

Its clearly easy to be "cancelled" in 2021. Leave the crazed grand standing for when you are a washed up (or never was) 36 year old, not an in your prime 21 year old.

Oh, and the virtue signaling here by Muc-Off is equally as dumb. Like "slow clap" for the incredible care they've put into their response here.
t-stoff
8/1/2021 9:13am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2021 9:13am
Imagine France being all enraged every time some one makes fun of them - its being done all the time without a blink of an eye for decades.

I think "puritan americans" should stop trying to enforce the same overly offended standards they put on their society. We don't work in the same basis; we don't have the same cultural nuances and we don't profit from cancelling anyone thats a little more edgy or ignorant.
mwolpin
8/1/2021 9:26am
t-stoff wrote:
Imagine France being all enraged every time some one makes fun of them - its being done all the time without a blink of an eye...
Imagine France being all enraged every time some one makes fun of them - its being done all the time without a blink of an eye for decades.

I think "puritan americans" should stop trying to enforce the same overly offended standards they put on their society. We don't work in the same basis; we don't have the same cultural nuances and we don't profit from cancelling anyone thats a little more edgy or ignorant.
Hold up! This is nothing about France or Americans or any other country. It’s about the representation and respect of black people that has and continues to be treated as inferior when they’re not.

I think most Americans here are fine with jokes about us. Hell, I love Top Gear/Grand Tour and they make fun of Americans all the time. This topic is about an issue rooted in slavery that spans the globe. It’s time for you to reread the thread as well as some history books.
t-stoff
8/1/2021 9:29am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2021 9:32am
You talk about respect and then you end up calling me ignorant. The irony.
And yes it has all to do with France and America and frankly your view of the world. I bet you don't have a clue about how different we get along with other cultures around and how things work. America is not the world stop trying to export your culture wars.
mfoga
8/1/2021 5:03pm
t-stoff wrote:
You talk about respect and then you end up calling me ignorant. The irony. And yes it has all to do with France and America and...
You talk about respect and then you end up calling me ignorant. The irony.
And yes it has all to do with France and America and frankly your view of the world. I bet you don't have a clue about how different we get along with other cultures around and how things work. America is not the world stop trying to export your culture wars.
Well lets see Muc Off is a UK company. Do we believe that they chose to punish purely based on US "culture wars"? The use of that word or similar words is not an US issue but a world wide issue. There has been a number of issues in a number of European countries with racism so it is not just a US "culture war" unless you are going to say the US has that much influence over European football.

Post a reply to: Amaury Pierron Posts

The Latest