2019 Racing Rumors

Create New Tag

2/5/2019 8:30 AM

I know theres been some talk about whats going on with the Giant Factory DH team... Oddly only 1 of 3 riders from last year seems to have Giant as a sponsor of theirs...

Maybe they are still working on Contract details? Or maybe Giant is desolving the DH team?




|

2/5/2019 2:54 PM

Shawn_Trudell wrote:

Blenki on an assguy, in fact maxxis front and rear. Lots of pictures of the Norco guys on Maxxis but still posting Schwalbe as the tire sponsor. Anybody have any thoughts?

tavaenga wrote:

From last months press release: “Sam Blenkinsop, Henry Fitzgerald and new Norco Factory DH Team member Elliot Jamieson will race aboard the Aurum HSP decked out with DT Swiss wheels and Maxxis rubber. ”

Ahh I didnt know they had changed. Cheers.

|

2/5/2019 7:07 PM

stoic_machine wrote:

I know theres been some talk about whats going on with the Giant Factory DH team... Oddly only 1 of 3 riders from last year seems to have Giant as a sponsor of theirs...

Maybe they are still working on Contract details? Or maybe Giant is desolving the DH team?




Giant needs a new Glory, with 29" wheels, preferably.

Marcelo's results did not improve, even if his fitness is still one of the best in the field (good enough for an EWS podium). This, to me, might be an indicator that anyone riding a Glory in the World Cup is undergunned.

|

2/5/2019 10:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2019 10:35 PM

stoic_machine wrote:

I know theres been some talk about whats going on with the Giant Factory DH team... Oddly only 1 of 3 riders from last year seems to have Giant as a sponsor of theirs...

Maybe they are still working on Contract details? Or maybe Giant is desolving the DH team?




Saw Elliot last week and he was riding a Giant...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtMFrnPgA1I/








.

|

2/5/2019 11:16 PM

stoic_machine wrote:

I know theres been some talk about whats going on with the Giant Factory DH team... Oddly only 1 of 3 riders from last year seems to have Giant as a sponsor of theirs...

Maybe they are still working on Contract details? Or maybe Giant is desolving the DH team?




Verbl Kint wrote:

Giant needs a new Glory, with 29" wheels, preferably.

Marcelo's results did not improve, even if his fitness is still one of the best in the field (good enough for an EWS podium). This, to me, might be an indicator that anyone riding a Glory in the World Cup is undergunned.

might be possible but i think rider > bike honestly.

|

2/6/2019 1:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2019 1:05 AM

stoic_machine wrote:

I know theres been some talk about whats going on with the Giant Factory DH team... Oddly only 1 of 3 riders from last year seems to have Giant as a sponsor of theirs...

Maybe they are still working on Contract details? Or maybe Giant is desolving the DH team?




Verbl Kint wrote:

Giant needs a new Glory, with 29" wheels, preferably.

Marcelo's results did not improve, even if his fitness is still one of the best in the field (good enough for an EWS podium). This, to me, might be an indicator that anyone riding a Glory in the World Cup is undergunned.

Or, you know,he may be simply lacking the technical riding ability the top guys have in addition to their fitness levels.
The Glory is a perfectly capable design. If you can't make it happen on that platform,well, it's not the bikes fault imho.
Anyways, i don't get what Giant are doing at the moment. The team feels lackluster,even though i like the fact they give Elliot a factory spot. Their bike development seems non existent and uninspired at best and they don't promote their team in any way. Hope they decide to step back in the game with both feet at some point.

|

2/6/2019 2:34 AM

I personally think it all down to the timing of things, in this case the product.
The Industry is was usually bringing out new Models every 3 years..well that was the rhythm but nowadays some brands are bringing out models at different times. Giant in this case brought(even though the 3 year timeline for the Glory was done) out the new Reign in 2018, the new LIV Hail and Intrigue and of course the new Trance 29er and now with all the new E Bikes coming about the R&D department must be swamped with other priorities other that designing a new Glory.
I get that all the gravity orientated riders need and want a new design but like mentioned before in these forums..downhill bikes are becoming more and more a niche product and the sales numbers for DH bikes were never high.
All in all, we all agree that Giant needs a new Glory or at least one with a trunnion mount shock, but the market these days is screaming trail, enduro and e bikes....
Its not got to do with new moulds, R&D etc...Giant has the cash flow but the demand isn't high.
Since 2016 Giant has brought us numerous new models (Reign, Anthem, Trance, all the E Bikes and lets not forget about the LIV side).
Just my 2c

|

2/6/2019 7:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2019 7:37 AM

Phil Atwill & Gaëtan Vigé Join Cube Global Squad



|

2/6/2019 7:40 AM




Can't believe no one went to their page to look?
|

2/6/2019 8:05 AM

Web pages tend to stay unchanged right up to the point of a press release being... released.

|

2/6/2019 8:05 AM

Cube didn't see fit to share their 2019 team announcement with us, but here's the gist of it:
------------------------------------------------------------------
CUBE came a long way ever since they have started their downhill program back in 2016. With three seasons of experience, countless kilometers travelled and two different wheel sizes in the bag, the team is excited to announce their 2019 team roster.

Germanys Max Hartenstern will join forces with Phil Atwill and Gaëtan Vigé to form the 2019 CUBE Global Squad. The team will race all stops of the UCI Downhill World Cup and selected European Downhill Cups. As in the previous year’s Gaëtan, Phil and Max will race the CUBE Two15 29“ equipped with parts from our long times sponsors: CUBE, BLISS Protection, MAGURA, Fox, Schwalbe, Race Face, 100%, CapGo, MRP, SDG, Crankbrothers and Juice Lubes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

|

2/6/2019 8:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2019 8:12 AM

iceman2058 wrote:

Cube didn't see fit to share their 2019 team announcement with us, but here's the gist of it:
------------------------------------------------------------------
CUBE came a long way ever since they have started their downhill program back in 2016. With three seasons of experience, countless kilometers travelled and two different wheel sizes in the bag, the team is excited to announce their 2019 team roster.

Germanys Max Hartenstern will join forces with Phil Atwill and Gaëtan Vigé to form the 2019 CUBE Global Squad. The team will race all stops of the UCI Downhill World Cup and selected European Downhill Cups. As in the previous year’s Gaëtan, Phil and Max will race the CUBE Two15 29“ equipped with parts from our long times sponsors: CUBE, BLISS Protection, MAGURA, Fox, Schwalbe, Race Face, 100%, CapGo, MRP, SDG, Crankbrothers and Juice Lubes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Judging by the excellent photoshop work, it appears to be a little rushed out. Which is weird because they put the effort into getting a video out there. The video actually doesn't feature any DH bikes in it, plenty of shots of a Nissan though.

Also it seems to have been removed from PinkBike.

|

2/6/2019 9:10 AM

really hope atwill can build on last years performance, he was pinned up until injury. is it me or does the cube 215 just seems flimsy? and that top tube is so 90's, its making my prepubescent scrotum hurt just looking at it...

|

2/6/2019 10:23 AM

PROPAIN

|



2/6/2019 10:37 AM

Interesting...Luke was an Atherton Academy rider. Good luck to all of them

|

2/6/2019 10:59 AM

Where is the other Kerr brother?

|

2/6/2019 12:13 PM

depeche4 wrote:

Where is the other Kerr brother?

Does he not manage / ride pivot?

|

2/6/2019 12:23 PM

depeche4 wrote:

Where is the other Kerr brother?

Richar_Delsey wrote:

Does he not manage / ride pivot?

Wrong guy, I am talking about Henry's twin brother, George.

|

2/6/2019 1:59 PM

Anyone know where Rupert Chapman is going?
He's no longer on pivot.

|

2/6/2019 2:08 PM

Jared Graves get's the support also in the future


|

2/6/2019 2:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2019 2:15 PM

tockfagnani wrote:

Sorry guys, and what about the specialized for the ews... they havo just curtis right now.. what are you thinking about??

LLLLL wrote:

There's a rumor going around this neck of the woods for months, but it may just be a local deal. An ex champion.

afterbang99 wrote:

Hey, this is the rumour thread so ‘fess up

Killian calaghan on specialised factory racing. Gregs cousin, won the juniors Ews 2017.
https://www.instagram.com/killiancallaghan/?hl=en

|

2/6/2019 2:43 PM

LLLLL wrote:

There's a rumor going around this neck of the woods for months, but it may just be a local deal. An ex champion.

afterbang99 wrote:

Hey, this is the rumour thread so ‘fess up

LLLLL wrote:

Killian calaghan on specialised factory racing. Gregs cousin, won the juniors Ews 2017.
https://www.instagram.com/killiancallaghan/?hl=en

Mmm what are you thinking about kilian om specy??

|

2/6/2019 3:02 PM

afterbang99 wrote:

Hey, this is the rumour thread so ‘fess up

LLLLL wrote:

Killian calaghan on specialised factory racing. Gregs cousin, won the juniors Ews 2017.
https://www.instagram.com/killiancallaghan/?hl=en

tockfagnani wrote:

Mmm what are you thinking about kilian om specy??

Hopefully on the s-works stumpy evo loic has been testing. I just picked up an evo today

|

2/6/2019 6:41 PM

Giants site mentions the fact that the roster is the 2019 roster. Marcelo clearly mentions them in his posts still as well. I wonder if there’s a new saint group on the horizon and giant has a new glory to accompany it.

|

2/6/2019 7:45 PM

watchcwgo wrote:

Giants site mentions the fact that the roster is the 2019 roster. Marcelo clearly mentions them in his posts still as well. I wonder if there’s a new saint group on the horizon and giant has a new glory to accompany it.

It'll be released after xtr ?

|

2/6/2019 10:08 PM

Hm, from Cecce Camoin's Instagram: "My biggest dream comes true I’m officially in the Specialized Racing enduro team with @maxchapuis and @killiancallaghan"

Where's Curtis then?

|

2/7/2019 1:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2019 1:18 AM

Primoz wrote:

Hm, from Cecce Camoin's Instagram: "My biggest dream comes true I’m officially in the Specialized Racing enduro team with @maxchapuis and @killiancallaghan"

Where's Curtis then?

From Specialized press release:

"It’s been hard to say goodbye to Kate Courtney, Miranda Miller, and Curtis Keene—each is a tremendous talent in his or her own right. We wish them well and look forward to formally announcing a new role for Curtis Keene at Specialized. More to come on that front."

Jared Graves have a sepecial status for 2019 due to his cancer:

"Jared is still a team member, with an extended contract for the season, whether or not he straps on a number plate in 2019. Jared has our support."

3 new riders from european privateers status to factory team for 2019 in Enduro:

Killian Callaghan (IRL), Maxime Chapuis (SUI), Francescu-Maria Camoin (FRA)


Full press release here:
https://www.sicklines.com/2019/02/06/2019-specialized-mountain-bike-team-gravity-riders-include-loic-bruni-and-finn-iles/

|

2/7/2019 1:54 AM

dmcd38 wrote:

NZ Open Christchurch 2019
Rider seams to be Caelab Drummond.

depeche4 wrote:

Unless it is under the WC or Finn, I do not believe it. I doubt a guy sponsored by Specialized NZ would get his hands on the newest stuff first.

In the past big bike brands have tested new bikes under riders down here in NZ. One of the first carbon Furys was here under a local GT rider because NZ used to be low key.
Im not saying it is a new bike but its not unlikely that some brands send out the odd proto to lowkey areas for feedback

|

2/7/2019 5:53 AM


Danny Hart training on dem 29erz!!
|

2/7/2019 6:28 AM

dmcd38 wrote:

NZ Open Christchurch 2019
Rider seams to be Caelab Drummond.

depeche4 wrote:

Unless it is under the WC or Finn, I do not believe it. I doubt a guy sponsored by Specialized NZ would get his hands on the newest stuff first.

LKFILMS wrote:

In the past big bike brands have tested new bikes under riders down here in NZ. One of the first carbon Furys was here under a local GT rider because NZ used to be low key.
Im not saying it is a new bike but its not unlikely that some brands send out the odd proto to lowkey areas for feedback

I imagine brands also want feed back from the major Aus/NZ dealers. So to send prototypes thru those distribution chains to equally useful test riders makes a whole lot of sense.

|