Accessibility Widget: On | Off

How Noisy Is Your EXT?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/8/2021 7:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2021 7:58 PM

Just wondering if people running the EXT Storia V3 are, like me, being driven nuts by the clicking noise in the rebound circuit. The only way to get rid of it is to add full rebound damping. This video is with 2 clicks added and it’s the fairly obvious constant clicking noise. Does anyone else have a similar experience with this shock? It seriously detracts from the riding experience so much as to make the shock unrideable.

|

5/8/2021 7:56 PM

Here's the video.....

|

5/9/2021 8:16 PM

Mine is completely silent... but it’s cuz I cant afford one

|

5/10/2021 1:00 AM

No clicking from mine, just the wooshy noises of its doing its grippy thing.

|

5/10/2021 3:16 AM

its a noisy shock, but wooshy , not clicky.. just check the plastic spacer under the bumper.. I glued mine to the bumper..

|

5/10/2021 10:06 AM

Don't notice on my Arma.

|

5/10/2021 11:11 AM

That is just the noise of the pole about to explode

|

5/10/2021 11:12 AM

No clicking, just the wooshing sound as others have mentioned. Get in contact with EXT (or whoever distributes them in NZ). I figure as a small, boutique brand, they would be keen to solve the problem for you.

|

5/10/2021 3:01 PM

nskerb wrote:

That is just the noise of the pole about to explode

Hahaha definitely possible.

|

5/10/2021 3:19 PM

Nic Cotton wrote:

No clicking, just the wooshing sound as others have mentioned. Get in contact with EXT (or whoever distributes them in NZ). I ...more

Pay top dollar for a shock and it sounds like a busted pedal bearing. Annoyingly the shock has been service 3 times and it only started making the noise after the 2nd service. EXT’s response to that was “the noise is normal” and “I don’t know what was done during service”. Who the hell wants to ride equipment that sounds like that? Surely during product testing any rider would call that noise out as a no go before going to market.

|

5/10/2021 9:44 PM

Give it to Paul at Proflow he’s a top bloke and will sort it out for you.

|

5/14/2021 2:35 PM

It's my understanding from talking to Suspension Syndicate that it's a little titanium check valve that separates the compression and rebound circuits. Some builds (specifically, the Nicolai/Geometron ones) don't include this. The guy I spoke to there has one of the Nicolai shocks, but he's going to rebuild it to add it to his personal shock, even though he knows it will click. Your EXT distributor should be able to better explain what the performance impact of having it vs. not.

It annoyed me a bit when I first got it, but I've since gotten used to it. Worth it for the performance IMO.

|

5/14/2021 3:25 PM

Who have you been dealing with for service? I highly recommend bringing this up with the NZ distributor, or if you are North Island based I am an EXT service centre so can take a look at it too

|

5/15/2021 10:44 PM

same noise here, been speaking with the guys at EXT and they say it's the titanium ball that closes the rebound circuit and it's fine. i have a megatower and told that some frames by their construction ecos the that sound. been riding it since september and still works great

|

5/19/2021 6:01 AM

Don't notice a clicking noise, but it does make a sloshing sound. Rebound is way too slow on mine, I need a retune.

|

7/15/2021 9:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2021 9:31 AM

I have this noise on my ext, but it is almost gone with a heavier spring and a bit more rebound damping... Seems to be "normal" from what I've seen online.

|

7/16/2021 7:55 AM

From experience, this issue can occur if you have too much preload due to overcoming the negative spring. I would recommend backing off the preload until spring is just barely engaged when the rear wheel is off the ground. Note, if you are running a lot of preload, it might mean you need a stiffer spring..

|

8/28/2021 3:58 PM

I just found this thread. I have two ext arma shocks, one on dh bike and one on my nomad.

Both of them had the clicking sound when new. I'm in the UK and emailed Chris Porter about it. This was his response in email:

"It's nothing to worry about! It's the compression check valve in the main piston! If it is really annoying it can be gotten rid of! It would be part of a £40 revalve…
But you shouldn't notice it whilst riding! give it a go!"

I had it sorted when I next had them serviced. No difference in performance. Ext shocks are quite noisey compared to other brands. I often hear the wooshing sound even with a full facer on at speed but I kinda like the woosh sound and dont find it distracting.

|

8/29/2021 1:06 AM

Randomscruff wrote:

Just wondering if people running the EXT Storia V3 are, like me, being driven nuts by the clicking noise in the rebound ...more

i just got one of these but covid has halted the build process for now so who knows when i will get to ride it, but yeah that seems annoying AF

|

8/29/2021 5:20 AM

Randomscruff wrote:

Just wondering if people running the EXT Storia V3 are, like me, being driven nuts by the clicking noise in the rebound ...more

You should change the tilte to; "Who cares how much noise the shock makes, it kicks ass!" :0

I love my noisy shock, best coil I've ever had.

|

11/29/2021 2:27 PM

Agree that it is noisy but I knew that before getting it. The tech that is in this trickles down from much bigger and more serious racing machines where the sound doesn't obviously matter. EXT is actually designed to make the oil movement more turbulent. I bet the normal big shock brands work to make theirs quiet at the cost of performance just so there is never any of these threads or bad reviews.

For me the superior performance is far above anything else.

The clack and whoosh bothers me way less than the "carbon echo" typical in frames... or the tiny seat twist we have to endure in dropper posts... or the thinner diameter in rubber grips we trade for lock-on ease. smile

|