Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Snowshoe World Cup Thread!

Create New Tag

9/8/2021 1:28 PM

Well I couldn't wait any longer, hope I'm not jumping the gun here Spomer! My travel plans are all set and I roll out Friday morning to drive from Mooresville NC up to Snowhsoe to get settled in. For those that don't know I'm the on site announcer for both rounds of the Downhill WC and can't be more stoked to narrate the world's best as the race on US soil. My wife is also toeing the start line in the Elite Women's DH field (Caroline Washam) and is ready to rip after she qualified 11th in 2019 at the Snowshoe WC but couldn't start finals.

If you are at the race yell at me when you pass by the DH finish, and if you are watching from home, hopefully those of us there can bring you some nice insight on the racing through this forum thread.

My way too early prediction is Troy B pulls out a huge run to win one of the two rounds, and Myriam and Vali split the women's wins.

|

9/10/2021 8:06 AM

How would you describe your announcer styles? From jacked up Sunday Sunday Sunday to golf whisperer…
I will venmo immediately if I hear the following out loud:
$1 level - Gorgonzola, “oh baybeee” like the And1 mixtape guy, Krakatoa, thatsa spicy meataball, “herding goats” as descending style

$5 level - any reference to that Wonderful Whites of West Virginia mockumentary (I’m forced to maintain that’s fake in order to get myself to West Virginia), “Kurt Cobain was murdered,” the brown acid is bad, ribbit ribbit is that a high pivot

$20 level - regional cusswords, YingYang Twins Whisper Song parodies (wait’ll you see my grips, etc), open challenges to any Red Bull commentators, borat MY WIIFE as she’s on track

I am fucking hyped to see these motherfuckers, what should I wear??

|

9/10/2021 8:35 AM

owl-x wrote:

How would you describe your announcer styles? From jacked up Sunday Sunday Sunday to golf whisperer…
I will venmo immediately ...more

i would pitch in for "ribbit ribbit is that a high pivot"

|

9/10/2021 4:23 PM

Shouldn't we be talking about that wooden feature on the course? Surely by now they've reviewed the tapes of Briceland and decided that such a crux move at such speeds might not be best? Where are the Lawyers?

|

9/11/2021 6:32 AM

Big Bird wrote:

Shouldn't we be talking about that wooden feature on the course? Surely by now they've reviewed the tapes of Briceland and ...more

Fast boys won't even touch the wood!

|

9/12/2021 6:22 AM

owl-x wrote:

I will venmo immediately ...more

This is the inspiration I needed... It's my 12th year on the mic at DH races and my style is likely less over the top then most announcers, especially in the build up to the really meaningful runs. But once it gets toward the sharp end all bets are off...

Track walk this afternoon should be interesting! I've been on this general tack maybe 20 times since 2015 but the routing from the top to the upper hairball woods is a very unique one. It will definitely give the track a different vibe and rhythm up top compared to other layouts from national champs, and even the 2019 WC top section.

|

9/12/2021 2:49 PM

The wooden feature is supposedly removed.

|

9/12/2021 3:09 PM

No way! Link please!

|

9/12/2021 3:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/12/2021 3:37 PM

If it's not being outright removed it's being significantly reworked.

Photo

|

9/12/2021 4:38 PM

Semenuk cancelled, so they took it out

|

9/12/2021 4:44 PM

Have fun whoever can make it live!

|

9/12/2021 4:53 PM

Significantly reworked it is.

Photo

|

9/12/2021 5:45 PM

Thank you jonkranked!

|

9/12/2021 8:06 PM

dante silva crushed trackwalk in our insta stories and our track walk video from today is below thanks to ninefivemtb

|

9/13/2021 4:40 AM

The light pockets in the woods there are everywhere. The event photos should be amazing.

|

9/13/2021 5:07 AM

jonkranked wrote:

Significantly reworked it is.

Photo

Glad they had the sense to fix it. But you still got to wonder why it got built in the first place...

|

9/13/2021 7:15 AM

quick interview with gwin about why he's not racing
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Why-Isnt-Aaron-Gwin-Racing-Snowshoe,3273

|

9/13/2021 7:29 AM

sspomer wrote:

quick interview with gwin about why he's not racing
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Why-Isnt-Aaron-Gwin-Racing-Snowshoe,3273 ...more

Bummer. Really wanted to see him pull an Amaury and get right back on the bike, crushing it.

|

9/13/2021 8:08 AM

for those frothing, track walk slideshow will be up as soon as i can get it posted. great audio from jack rice and trill will along w/ jack's photos. lawlor, sven and boris aren't out there due to the covid issues w/ traveling and quarantines etc. still gonna be a great weekend of racing w/ coverage coming in for 6 more days LOL.

|

9/13/2021 8:20 AM

sspomer wrote:

for those frothing, track walk slideshow will be up as soon as i can get it posted. great audio from jack rice and trill will ...more

How many people do you have out there shooting for you?

|

9/13/2021 10:54 AM

sspomer wrote:

for those frothing, track walk slideshow will be up as soon as i can get it posted. great audio from jack rice and trill will ...more

derelict wrote:

How many people do you have out there shooting for you?

only a 6 hour drive for me, it's not too late spomer!

|

9/13/2021 10:58 AM

slideshow is up.
https://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Snowshoe-World-Cup-DH-Track-Walk-Slideshow,13503/Slideshow,0/sspomer,2

we have a couple video peeps and jack rice is on photo/audio duty with trill helping w/ audio too. it's not lack of shooters, it's getting stuff posted to site. slideshow is always a PIA to build. jack is crushing and always!

|

9/13/2021 11:52 AM

sspomer wrote:

slideshow is up.
...more

Jack is indeed. Spoke to him when we were both out shooting the DHSE race at Snowshoe. Looking forward to all of the photos.

|

9/14/2021 2:27 PM

Who has pictures of the rock that halted qualifying

|

9/14/2021 6:35 PM

bulletbass man wrote:

Who has pictures of the rock that halted qualifying

Interesting, I didn't realize it was a rock issue that halted qualifying. I did hear there was there course work that needed to take place, so that's what I announced at the bottom...

Luca in 3rd and Dak in 4th, time to go racing!

|

9/17/2021 7:19 AM

Who can still win the overall? That's an important question coming into the very last round of the season, and things are looking pretty spicy in some of the categories! Here's how we stand today - remember there are no points on offer in today's qualifying round, all those points have been added to the pot in tomorrow's final instead (juniors don't earn any points in qualifying at all throughout the season).

Elite Men

It was Daprela's to lose, and he's gone about doing just that with a few spectacular crashes down the stretch. The pursuing pair of fast Frenchies as well as a certain World Champ could not have asked for more, and you know they won't go out easy! Both Loris and Loic have a legit shot at the overall still, and mathematically so does Reece. There are 250 points up for grabs, strap in, it's gonna get crazy!

Photo

Elite Women

Less than 100 points separate the top three women as well, so once again, anything could happen tomorrow. It's hard to bet against Myriam bringing it home, she has the experience and the speed to lay down the run she needs, but with a bit of moisture in the forecast as well, those rocks are going to be looking mighty intimidating...especially since she's been down in them already.

Photo

Junior Men

Congrats to Jackson Goldstone, the overall is already secure! Another notch in his belt, surely a sign of things to come down the road for the Canadian phenom.

Photo

Junior Women

Izabela Yankova has a pretty firm grip on the lead, but mathematically, Phoebe Gale could still catch her.

Photo

Team Standings

Two Commencal teams currently in first place. There's 40 points up for grabs for the number one team in both the elite men and elite women category, 20 in junior men's and 6 in junior women's, so technically it's still all to play for. In practice, this one feels pretty done and dusted, with so many Commencal riders likely to be challenging for top positions in all categories.

Photo

Tune in tomorrow to find out how it all unfolded!

|

9/17/2021 8:26 AM

Well, here is the answer to the question (it is way way closer than I realised):

Daprela must stop Vergier from winning, or be within a couple of places. If Loris is top 10, Daprela must be top 20, so don't expect any safe runs.

Vergier (1), beats Daprela (2) :[250, 200][956, 952]
Vergier (2), beats Daprela (4) :[200, 150][906, 902]
Vergier (3), beats Daprela (6) :[170, 115][876, 867]
Vergier (4), beats Daprela (8) :[150, 102][856, 854]
Vergier (5), beats Daprela (11) :[132, 84][838, 836]
Vergier (6), beats Daprela (14) :[115, 66][821, 818]
Vergier (7), beats Daprela (15) :[108, 60][814, 812]
Vergier (8), beats Daprela (16) :[102, 54][808, 806]
Vergier (9), beats Daprela (18) :[96, 50][802, 802]

If Bruni wins he needs Daprela off the podium, if Bruni comes 2nd he needs Daprela out of the top 12
Bruni (1), beats Daprela (6) :[250, 115][877, 867]
Bruni (2), beats Daprela (13) :[200, 72][827, 824]

But Bruni still needs to fend off Vergier:
Bruni (1), beats Vergier (3) :[250, 170][877, 876]
Bruni (2), beats Vergier (6) :[200, 115][827, 821]
Bruni (3), beats Vergier (10) :[170, 90][797, 796]
Bruni (4), beats Vergier (14) :[150, 66][777, 772]
Bruni (5), beats Vergier (17) :[132, 52][759, 758]

The absolutely mind blowing result would be Bruni 1st place, Vergier 3rd place, Daprela 6th, This would give Bruni the overall by 1 point ahead of Vergier AND Daprela in joint 2nd place.

|

9/17/2021 1:12 PM

Daprela might (but most probably is) out of the race with an injury! DNF in qualy and Vitalmtb IG shows him being carted off with a leg injury.

|

9/17/2021 4:19 PM

Shame he lost the overall due to a crash, this must hurt allot since he was killing it all season.

|

9/17/2021 11:49 PM

Fantaman wrote:

Shame he lost the overall due to a crash, this must hurt allot since he was killing it all season.

Titi hasn't actually lost it yet, btw. Anything can happen on raceday.

|