2017 Racing Rumors

1/10/2017 10:17am
sspomer wrote:
[b]official SYNDICATE launch video!!! LOL[/b] http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/The-Syndicate-Just-Won-All-of-2017-Before-the-First-Race-Official-Launch-Video-with-Loris-and-Luca,32928/sspomer,2 [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/01/10/4706/s1200_Screen_Shot_2017_01_10_at_9.43.23_AM.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/01/10/4703/s1200_Screen_Shot_2017_01_10_at_8.10.35_AM.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/01/10/4704/s1200_Screen_Shot_2017_01_10_at_8.09.08_AM.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/01/10/4705/s1200_Screen_Shot_2017_01_10_at_8.08.30_AM.jpg[/img]
Like only the Syndicate can. So stoked for this team! And to see Peaty and Rat Boy in there, with Kathy crushing the bubbly. Bring it!
DubC
1/10/2017 10:45am
DubC wrote:
Wow - SRAM looses Specialized factory, that is big news after they lost Gwin last year and considering how close SRAM is with Specialized. Makes you...
Wow - SRAM looses Specialized factory, that is big news after they lost Gwin last year and considering how close SRAM is with Specialized. Makes you wonder if they are having $ issues despite taking Shimano to school on 1x sales the past few years. Is Race Face sponsoring any key DH athletes / Teams this year? Seems like they have been a bit quite on the WC circuit...

Lots of shakeups. Who will SRAM and RockShox have as a World Cup overall or World Champ threat? Seems like a few "unofficial" guys on drivetrains....but on RockShox - No Hart, No Syndicate, No Specialized, No Gwin, .... Brosnan on Canyon maybe?
Primoz wrote:
Race face (and Easton) is now owned by Fox Shox, which is usually paired with Shimano. So you often have a conflict of interest here, since...
Race face (and Easton) is now owned by Fox Shox, which is usually paired with Shimano. So you often have a conflict of interest here, since Shimano also makes bars, stems, cranks, wheels, etc.
Word on the street is that the Fox / Shimano BFF relationship (which competed with SRAM/Rockshox) soured a few years ago. As more and more suspension players are on the market and hungry to make inroads, expect to see more teams/riders taking deals from some of the new players which leaves them with one of 2 options for drivetrain - Shimano, or buying their own....since SRAM generally wont sponsor someone for drivetrain, but not suspension. Happening with Ohlins now and with BOS a few years ago before they imploded.
Oz_Taylor
1/10/2017 10:51am
Primoz wrote:
Wouldn't you want to have a team you're sponsoring running all of your kit that you make? Considering you can buy arandom frame and EVERYTHING else...
Wouldn't you want to have a team you're sponsoring running all of your kit that you make? Considering you can buy arandom frame and EVERYTHING else, bar tires and the seat, from Sram. And a fork fender.
Yes of course I would, that's why I said it's totally understandable. The question is whether or not the teams can generate more revenue by using lots of individual sponsors rather than one big one for all their kit. I'm not sure about performance benefits. I guess it's good to have a choice of parts, but SRAM stuff is good kit. Even better with a ton of spares and mechanic to look after it.

So yeah, I doubt it's a performance thing, with the exception of Ohlins who seem to be on a different level.
sspomer
1/10/2017 11:00am
...and Specialized makes it official they're on Ohlins (with a new DH fork!) and Miranda Miller joins the squad with Loic and Finn. Finn and Loic riding Fox Head gear is on the books now, too.
--------------------------------

SPECIALIZED GRAVITY ANOUNCES 2017 TEAM ROSTER AND PARTNERSHIPS WITH ÖHLINS, FOX HEAD AND CERAMICSPEED

Morgan Hill, Calif., January 10th, 2017 — As Specialized Gravity enters its second year on the World Cup circuit, it proudly announces a partnership with renowned suspension leader Öhlins for the 2017 season, with all team riders using exclusively Öhlins suspension, including an all-new downhill-specific fork. Öhlins is regarded as the premier name in motorsports racing and has been conducting extensive R&D with Specialized since 2012.

Torkel Sintorn of Öhlins had this to say, “We are super excited to work together with Specialized Gravity – one of the world’s best MTB racing teams. Öhlins has a long and successful background in motorsport but this is the first time we are going into mountain bike racing. We believe that together with Specialized and their top athletes we can supply and develop next-generation, race-winning products.”

When asked about the newly-deepened partnership, Brad Benedict from Specialized had this to say, “After years of developing suspension from the ground-up, this move will take our efforts to the next level. Alignment between the athletes we support and the exact products we spec will only help further development of our bikes and suspension, as well. Öhlins has top-notch knowledge in the suspension business – I’m hopeful to see more podiums and wins this year.”

2015 World Champion, Loic Bruni is excited about the switch to Öhlins, “It's great to see such a legendary brand enter into MTB, and being the chosen team to put the products on the top step is a big honor. They've been working hard and close with the guys at Specialized and we are all very confident about the products. I'm pumped about this relationship and I know we will be successful on it.

Öhlins is not the only exciting change for the team, Bruni and Iles will also make the switch to Fox Head apparel.

”FOX is proud to equip the Specialized Gravity team as gear partner. Loic Bruni and Finn Iles represent the future of the sport – they’re both driven by passion and in constant search for perfection. This partnership is the association of two premier brands in the MTB industry, driven by a common appetite for innovation and a constant will to bring premium products to market. After almost 20 years, and the first association between Fox and Specialized around Shaun Palmer, we are lined up to write a new chapter of MTB History." -Matthieu Bazil - Fox Head, Inc.

“People at Fox are very innovative, like at Specialized, and the products are next-level. The fabrics and custom fits are going to make us look rad. They listen to us and our expectations so we are very excited about starting a long relationship with this huge name of the off-road industry.” – Loic Bruni, 2015 UCI DH World Champion.

Top bearing maker, CeramicSpeed has also come onboard with the team, providing their best-in-class bearings, rounding out the total performance package and leaving not a single detail overlooked.

“We’re excited to bring our expertise in performance optimization to Specialized Gravity for 2017. Our work with such a cutting-edge program will further advance our development of high-quality mountain bike products.” – Martin S. Banke, CeramicSpeed

Equipment isn’t the only exciting change for 2017, Miranda Miller will be racing the full World Cup with Team Specialized Gravity plus select Enduro World Series events. Miller had this to say about joining the team, “Thanks to the crew at Specialized and Pure Agency, I'm getting the opportunity to transition from a privateer to now racing a full season with the best support available. This is a dream come true and I can’t wait to progress in a setting I’ve never experienced before, alongside a couple of World Champions and a killer staff.”

jofish
1/10/2017 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2017 12:53pm
Why still Loic with a aircraft?!
I think he must have a pretty good relationship with those guys after his "internship" there last summer and is maybe thinking about some business opportunities with them alongside his racing career?

Looks to me like the Specialized team's ohlins forks are using an x-fusion chassis with the guard mounts ground down, or at least Finn is anyway. Will be interesting to see if they have a full ohlins build for the beginning of the season.

I'm going to take a punt from instagram stories and say that I suspect nukeproof CRC will be riding full Mavic kit this year and using 100% helmets for full face similar to Jerome's deal from a few years back.

I'd also guess from his results this year/Claudio's commentary that Neko will be off Scott. Have there been any rumblings on that front? I've been following this thread a while now and surprised no one has mentioned him?
Primoz
1/10/2017 1:00pm
His Instagram post confirming he is moving off Scott has been posted here. Look for Brendog giving him the cheers with a cup of tea in their pits.
jofish
1/10/2017 1:05pm
Primoz wrote:
His Instagram post confirming he is moving off Scott has been posted here. Look for Brendog giving him the cheers with a cup of tea in...
His Instagram post confirming he is moving off Scott has been posted here. Look for Brendog giving him the cheers with a cup of tea in their pits.
Really? He confirmed that already? Where? When?
1/10/2017 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2017 2:38pm
(edited by gordo to keep things clean...specialized PR was already posted here at 11am...see vital homepage for direct link or go back 1 page)
Oz_Taylor
1/10/2017 2:42pm
jofish wrote:
I think he must have a pretty good relationship with those guys after his "internship" there last summer and is maybe thinking about some business opportunities...
I think he must have a pretty good relationship with those guys after his "internship" there last summer and is maybe thinking about some business opportunities with them alongside his racing career?

Looks to me like the Specialized team's ohlins forks are using an x-fusion chassis with the guard mounts ground down, or at least Finn is anyway. Will be interesting to see if they have a full ohlins build for the beginning of the season.

I'm going to take a punt from instagram stories and say that I suspect nukeproof CRC will be riding full Mavic kit this year and using 100% helmets for full face similar to Jerome's deal from a few years back.

I'd also guess from his results this year/Claudio's commentary that Neko will be off Scott. Have there been any rumblings on that front? I've been following this thread a while now and surprised no one has mentioned him?
Well spotted on the X-Fusion fork chassis!
ctbiker888
1/10/2017 2:53pm
Primoz wrote:
jofish wrote:
Ahh cool. Glad we put that one to bed.

So... Brook is deffs off GT then?
Where are you getting these from? Brook is still on GT. Neko is off Scott. There are pages of all this information clearly and unclearly (eventually cleaned up by somebody) on previous pages.
TomB13
1/10/2017 3:06pm
Primoz wrote:
jofish wrote:

ctbiker888 wrote:
Where are you getting these from? Brook is still on GT. Neko is off Scott. There are [b]pages[/b] of all this information clearly and unclearly (eventually...
Where are you getting these from? Brook is still on GT. Neko is off Scott. There are pages of all this information clearly and unclearly (eventually cleaned up by somebody) on previous pages.
Guys... seriously... can't you taste the sarcasm? I'm in NZ and can sense it from here.....
Norcowhorum
1/10/2017 4:23pm
jofish wrote:

ctbiker888 wrote:
Where are you getting these from? Brook is still on GT. Neko is off Scott. There are [b]pages[/b] of all this information clearly and unclearly (eventually...
TomB13 wrote:
Guys... seriously... can't you taste the sarcasm? I'm in NZ and can sense it from here.....
Americans, what'd you expect (this is a joke, don't take it seriously)
grinch
1/10/2017 5:12pm
So happy for Miranda Miller!! I look forward to seeing her compete this season!
Ya she deserves it. Great rider and cool character
1/10/2017 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2017 6:52pm
Looks like Lewis Buchanan is for sure riding for Trek.

In this photo if you look left of the shifter, the design on the polished looking carbon bar is the new Bontrager Line Carbon 35mm bar. Those grips are also bontrager grips. I have taken photos of both the bar I am talking about and the grips. I took some photos of the parts so you can compare them to his Instagram snap video... I only caught this because I just brought that bar home from the shop I work at to put on my bike haha.

kev.1n
1/10/2017 7:13pm
Oz_Taylor wrote:
Well spotted on the X-Fusion fork chassis!
Xfusion? Hmmm a bit of a surprise, are you sure? theyre not the lightest or strongest either, I know someone that bent a few pairs of lowers from them, why not drop the ohlins internals into a lighter boxxer chasis?
I stil think it's ohlins' own chasis that they are developing...
MrPlow
1/10/2017 8:31pm
kev.1n wrote:
Xfusion? Hmmm a bit of a surprise, are you sure? theyre not the lightest or strongest either, I know someone that bent a few pairs of...
Xfusion? Hmmm a bit of a surprise, are you sure? theyre not the lightest or strongest either, I know someone that bent a few pairs of lowers from them, why not drop the ohlins internals into a lighter boxxer chasis?
Makes sense, think you will find Ohlins is made in the X-Fusion (A-Pro) factory.
Primoz
1/10/2017 9:40pm
They might be developing a chassis, but that doesn't mean they have a chassis ready to perform at world cups. Maybe they are just covering their asses and putting their dampers and springs into Xfusion's chassis for the time being. Them saying they have a new chassis and all.
Oz_Taylor
1/10/2017 11:10pm
kev.1n wrote:
Xfusion? Hmmm a bit of a surprise, are you sure? theyre not the lightest or strongest either, I know someone that bent a few pairs of...
If they are using a modified or longer travel version of the internals from their RFX36 fork, they probably need a 36mm chassis to fit it inside. They already make a damper to fit a Boxxer, as used by Brayton last year. This is something new and is surely a development project until their own chassis is ready.
AdamO
1/10/2017 11:13pm
The chassis can not looking like boxxer or fox. It calls marketing and we are talking about bruni so must be a big deal
Oz_Taylor
1/10/2017 11:19pm
MrPlow wrote:
Makes sense, think you will find Ohlins is made in the X-Fusion (A-Pro) factory.
Wow really? Where is the factory? I always thought Öhlins stuff was manufactured in Sweden.
nm1997
1/11/2017 3:57am
Bernard kerr off raceface, renthal, saint cranks instead and wtb saddle i think

Post a reply to: 2017 Racing Rumors

The Latest