Where to go for a two week summer MTB vacation?

Create New Tag

1/9/2020 10:48 AM

Hey everyone - Every year I try to take at least one mtb related trip somewhere, however, I tend to procrastinate so a lot of the time I don't go anywhere of significance. This year I'm learning from my errors and planning early. I thought it might be cool to get some input from others on where I should consider going? Below are some places I'm considering but not limited to and for background the couple of places that I've been. I've limited my destinations to North America (I live in southern California) and was also considering driving.

Places I'm considering
-Whistler (including Squamish and Pemberton)
-Revelstoke, BC
-Bellingham and Issaquah
-Colorado (specifically Crested Butte and surrounding area)
-Park City
-Angle Fire

Places I've been
-Tahoe (Northstar and a few trails in the larger area)
-Whistler (been once, only rode park, about 5 days of riding, no riding in Squamish and Pemberton)
-Issaquah (limited to Duthie and one trail at tiger mtn)
-Downieville
-Sedona
-Mammoth

Where would you recommend?

|

1/9/2020 11:04 AM

Western co. Super affordable. Loads of great biking within an easy drive or even a warm up ride depending where you stay. Can stop by one of the major parks on your drive in/out of Denver.

|

1/9/2020 11:23 AM

Squamish is for sure worth the trip. Also, if you have two weeks time, you should take the time to ride in North Vancouver. Bellingham WA is right over the border so you could definitely do all of them in a two week span.

|

1/9/2020 11:36 AM

Whistler/squam/pemby, I would limit the time staying in whistler unless you like bleeding money, accommodation in pemby and squamish will be cheaper. Pemby doesn't have a lot going on once you finish riding but its a cool place, and your going to drive right through Bellingham so may as well check that out caus they have some decent trails.

|

1/9/2020 12:16 PM

My next extended trip, likely in 2021, is going to be Bellingham to Pemberton with stops in between. I rode in Squamish for 3 days in 2018 and it was so great I've just wanted to go back.

|

1/9/2020 12:58 PM

trip id like to do this summer

Humboldt
Central Oregon Cascades
B-Ham
Squamish, Pemberton

|

1/9/2020 1:07 PM

I’m in the same bout I’m from Ireland , and want to get to somewhere in Europe to train for a week in February as I’m racing the first World Cup in Lousa . Can’t find a good spot somewhere cheap and has no snow in feb 🤯

|

1/9/2020 1:35 PM

If youre driving, you can have a lot of fun bouncing around Colorado for two weeks. Did it last summer and was very pleased i did.

If youre flying and wont have a car, i'd say Whistler would be the best bet to keep you occupied for two weeks. If you really wanna road trip....bellingham for a day, squamish for a couple days, whistler for a handful of days, then jump over the Revelstoke for a few days and start making your way home. Stop in idaho for a day to get some riding in and split up the drive. I did that trip a few years ago, and man, was it hard coming back to So-cal summertime riding after that.

Squamish and revelstoke are my two favorite mountain towns I've ever been to. If you drive, you'd be silly not to sack up and just hit up both. Its a lot of extra miles, but totally worth it.

|

1/9/2020 1:43 PM

ream tumors v1 wrote:

I’m in the same bout I’m from Ireland , and want to get to somewhere in Europe to train for a week in February as I’m racing the first World Cup in Lousa . Can’t find a good spot somewhere cheap and has no snow in feb 🤯

Maybe not the best for downhill bikes, but a week of shuttles in finale ligure would be fuuuuun. Cheap camping with pools and showers and laundry, and you can catch the shuttle right outside your tent. Only did a long weekend, but it was fun and should be good weather that time of year. Not super close to Lousa tho.

|

2/13/2020 10:46 PM

Ridden quite a few places. Like the common epic ones. Alps etc. honestly, if it’s about pure riding nothing beats BC imho. Now if you want to factor in things like Euro travel and touristy thing. etc, that’s different. But for pure riding Whistler / Squamish / BC is just unreal.

|

2/13/2020 10:52 PM

Salar de Uyuni

|

2/14/2020 7:48 AM

I live close to Issaquah and North Bend, we have some great stuff but not worth a 2 week vacation. If you drive to whistler it would be a good 1 or 2 day stop. I would suggest Whistler, between the bike park and the stuff outside the park there is months of riding. Bellingham would also be a worthy stop for a few days.

|

2/14/2020 8:03 AM

The Quebec City Area has everything... Mont-Sainte-Anne, Sentiers-du-Moulin, Vallée Bras-du-Nord and much more. Bonus, it's much cheaper than the Sea-to-Sky! Check out this channel : https://www.youtube.com/mtbqc.

|

2/14/2020 8:32 AM

Thank you all for the feedback! This has gotten more responses than I anticipated.

|

2/14/2020 8:39 AM

Ive never been but I hear Windrock is a real treat!

|

2/14/2020 9:18 AM

zeGG wrote:

The Quebec City Area has everything... Mont-Sainte-Anne, Sentiers-du-Moulin, Vallée Bras-du-Nord and much more. Bonus, it's much cheaper than the Sea-to-Sky! Check out this channel : https://www.youtube.com/mtbqc.

Definitely planning to take my bike there next time! I went in 2018 when I was injured; my wife's family has had a cabin near Cabano for 30 something years. She raced and won the Gaspé 100 that year. We're hoping to do the Quebec Singletrack Experience stage race one of the these years. Beautiful area, great people.

|

MRP - VP of Business Dev.

2/14/2020 10:13 AM

All of the places you are considering are rad in their own right. I'd consider the type of riding you're jonesing for when making the decision.

Also, Angel Fire is a hoot, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to do two weeks there.

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.

2/14/2020 7:23 PM

Have you thought about an international guided tour? I did Iceland last year through Sacred Rides and it was unreal. I’m heading to Finalé Ligure, Italy with H+I Adventures this year.

If not, I echo what a few others said on that you can easily hit Bellingham, Squamish and Whistler in those two weeks.

|

2/14/2020 7:24 PM

thejake wrote:

I live close to Issaquah and North Bend, we have some great stuff but not worth a 2 week vacation. If you drive to whistler it would be a good 1 or 2 day stop. I would suggest Whistler, between the bike park and the stuff outside the park there is months of riding. Bellingham would also be a worthy stop for a few days.

Absolutely agree with this. Tiger Mountain and Raging River would be a great stop on the way to Bellingham.

|

2/16/2020 2:48 PM

ream tumors v1 wrote:

Finale Ligure. Went last month. Shuttles at the weekend if you're on your own, no problem.

|

2/17/2020 6:27 AM

zeGG wrote:

NoahColorado wrote:

Definitely planning to take my bike there next time! I went in 2018 when I was injured; my wife's family has had a cabin near Cabano for 30 something years. She raced and won the Gaspé 100 that year. We're hoping to do the Quebec Singletrack Experience stage race one of the these years. Beautiful area, great people.

I did the Quebec Singletrack Experience race 3 times. The "very laid back but still racing" mood is awesome
and it's a really good way to ride a lot of trails over 6-7 days. And if you're lucky, the MSA world cup will be right after the race so you'll get to enjoy that too.

|