2023 TEAM RUMORS

jofish
9/7/2022 1:31pm
Regarding Danny am I the only one who thinks his value as a “personality” has gone through the roof since joining cube? He seems way more comfortable and clearly doesn’t give a shit what anyone has to say about him anymore. Personally I think he’s been hilarious on Brayton’s YT channel and Wyntv.
kcy4130
9/7/2022 2:11pm
kcy4130 wrote:
In Needle's podcast Sven says Hill might race some DH next year. Didn't say he wouldn't race enduro, but hinted at a full return to dh...
In Needle's podcast Sven says Hill might race some DH next year. Didn't say he wouldn't race enduro, but hinted at a full return to dh. 1 hour 17 minutes in.
bizutch wrote:
I can't imagine EWS is getting any easier to train for. The last 6-8 years of max threshold work he's had to stay on top of...
I can't imagine EWS is getting any easier to train for. The last 6-8 years of max threshold work he's had to stay on top of while raising moto groms can't be getting more fun.

With the EWS fitness base, he could easily take a winter to do some power & kinesio work and be on the World Cup scene fully powered up by that INSANELY LATE JUNE START DATE.
Honestly I don't know that the training required to be competitive in ews is any worse than dh, different for sure tho. He said he moved to ews basically because got bored with dh, needed something different, a new challenge with some novelty to get motivated. Well now perhaps he's bored of enduro? So switching would perhaps be in character. And he was pretty clear about longish climbing sections in stages of the ews not being to his liking. Then again, he's trolled before with that ig post thanking nukeproof for six great years (six?) like he was moving on. So it'd also be in character if he started the rumor as a joke.

Another thing to consider is that ews is getting far less coverage now than it was when he first switched to ews. And thus you'd have to imagine that sponsorship earning potential in dh is probably more than ews. Of course we have no idea what coverage there will be next year with disco, so who knows.
9/7/2022 2:37pm
kcy4130 wrote:
Honestly I don't know that the training required to be competitive in ews is any worse than dh, different for sure tho. He said he moved...
Honestly I don't know that the training required to be competitive in ews is any worse than dh, different for sure tho. He said he moved to ews basically because got bored with dh, needed something different, a new challenge with some novelty to get motivated. Well now perhaps he's bored of enduro? So switching would perhaps be in character. And he was pretty clear about longish climbing sections in stages of the ews not being to his liking. Then again, he's trolled before with that ig post thanking nukeproof for six great years (six?) like he was moving on. So it'd also be in character if he started the rumor as a joke.

Another thing to consider is that ews is getting far less coverage now than it was when he first switched to ews. And thus you'd have to imagine that sponsorship earning potential in dh is probably more than ews. Of course we have no idea what coverage there will be next year with disco, so who knows.
Could also be looking to set himself up into a leadership role within a team, perfect way to get his eye back into it by racing a season as a bit of a 'farewell' (would imagine he'd get huge media attention) and then retire and get a position within a team?
owl-x
9/7/2022 2:48pm
jofish wrote:
Regarding Danny am I the only one who thinks his value as a “personality” has gone through the roof since joining cube? He seems way more...
Regarding Danny am I the only one who thinks his value as a “personality” has gone through the roof since joining cube? He seems way more comfortable and clearly doesn’t give a shit what anyone has to say about him anymore. Personally I think he’s been hilarious on Brayton’s YT channel and Wyntv.
I agree. I used to think he was a bit boring, but through his increased interviews he's revealed himself to be one of the sharper dudes on the scene. I find him super funny, and not in some clownish way. He's great!
veefour
9/7/2022 3:09pm
jofish wrote:
Regarding Danny am I the only one who thinks his value as a “personality” has gone through the roof since joining cube? He seems way more...
owl-x wrote:
I agree. I used to think he was a bit boring, but through his increased interviews he's revealed himself to be one of the sharper dudes...
I agree. I used to think he was a bit boring, but through his increased interviews he's revealed himself to be one of the sharper dudes on the scene. I find him super funny, and not in some clownish way. He's great!
I don't know if there's any truth to them, but I heard rumours that He and Will Longden didn't really get along. He certainly seems a lot happier now. I think he comes across as a guy that's happy to just do his own thing and not get too involved in team life in the way you see with other riders. Having a family obviously affects that side of things too.
9/7/2022 5:16pm
Danny has always done a fair amount of media work with the World Cup guys he trusts like Warner and lawlor. His insta is fairly successful and he has the fifth most uci points in the last 10 years. Dude definitely doesn’t need to be making YouTube blogs to have value to any brand let alone a lesser known brand like cube.

Only dude I can think of near the top who should put in some media work is Matt walker. Compare him and Reece Wilson breaking out in 2020 it’s clear Wilson really made the most of his time as world champ while walker is still the “dude just wants to race his bike” guy on the broadcast. Not that there is anything wrong with wanting to focus on results and having his sponsor back him but he is leaving a lot of money and future opportunity on the table by being such an enigma. People want more than just results to cheer for. I don’t think he really needs to do all that much to give fans some personality and a back story.

In a similar vein I think if gwin gets back to the top and takes for a season or two and takes the goat title he’ll be much less divisive than had he took it back in 18. And while it’s awesome the 5 time World Cup champ is doing YouTube instructional videos I doubt that will be happening if like Danny he starts a family.
jofish
9/8/2022 3:26am
Danny has always done a fair amount of media work with the World Cup guys he trusts like Warner and lawlor. His insta is fairly successful...
Danny has always done a fair amount of media work with the World Cup guys he trusts like Warner and lawlor. His insta is fairly successful and he has the fifth most uci points in the last 10 years. Dude definitely doesn’t need to be making YouTube blogs to have value to any brand let alone a lesser known brand like cube.

Only dude I can think of near the top who should put in some media work is Matt walker. Compare him and Reece Wilson breaking out in 2020 it’s clear Wilson really made the most of his time as world champ while walker is still the “dude just wants to race his bike” guy on the broadcast. Not that there is anything wrong with wanting to focus on results and having his sponsor back him but he is leaving a lot of money and future opportunity on the table by being such an enigma. People want more than just results to cheer for. I don’t think he really needs to do all that much to give fans some personality and a back story.

In a similar vein I think if gwin gets back to the top and takes for a season or two and takes the goat title he’ll be much less divisive than had he took it back in 18. And while it’s awesome the 5 time World Cup champ is doing YouTube instructional videos I doubt that will be happening if like Danny he starts a family.
Interesting to talk about Danny and Gwin in the same vein. I would always have put them at opposite ends of the paddock but these days it actually seems like they’re attitudes are similar and they’re both at relatively similar points in their career. Imagine Danny on intense?
9/8/2022 4:31am
Danny has always done a fair amount of media work with the World Cup guys he trusts like Warner and lawlor. His insta is fairly successful...

I think in general the Saracen team are pretty poor social media wise (with the exception of say vero widmann) - just look at the difference between Jordan Williams and Jackson Goldstones IG accounts.. (I know Jackson has a few more strings to his bow but still)

Danny seemed pretty pent up on his time at Saracen and as you rightly say, Matt is pretty absent.. perhaps a management thing?
Mr.Nally
9/8/2022 4:53am
bizutch wrote:
I can't imagine EWS is getting any easier to train for. The last 6-8 years of max threshold work he's had to stay on top of...
I can't imagine EWS is getting any easier to train for. The last 6-8 years of max threshold work he's had to stay on top of while raising moto groms can't be getting more fun.

With the EWS fitness base, he could easily take a winter to do some power & kinesio work and be on the World Cup scene fully powered up by that INSANELY LATE JUNE START DATE.
What alternate reality is this from? Sam Hill likely hasn't been doing much training the last 5 years or so, hence the lack luster results. There's also likely a lot more needed to get to the top of DH WC these days than power and kineso work (whatever kineso is I don't actually know).

Eoin
9/8/2022 6:00am
Mr.Nally wrote:
What alternate reality is this from? Sam Hill likely hasn't been doing much training the last 5 years or so, hence the lack luster results. There's...
What alternate reality is this from? Sam Hill likely hasn't been doing much training the last 5 years or so, hence the lack luster results. There's also likely a lot more needed to get to the top of DH WC these days than power and kineso work (whatever kineso is I don't actually know).

Ah yes, those last 5 years when he won the overall twice... Without training you say, what a man!
Karabuka
9/8/2022 6:03am
2025 World champs is scheduled in Valais region of Switzerland. Only venue with history of DH racing there is Champery, Sam might be in for some training before he gets his redemption! (just saying)
ZRBPartDeux
9/8/2022 6:36am
krabo83 wrote:
evie richards changing teams? [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2022/09/07/12967/s1200_E1761C16_CCBB_4CF1_BCD1_BA8123F66A91.jpg[/img]
evie richards changing teams?

Interestingly, she re-worded the caption to say "me and trek will miss our body guards".
Guess that clears that up.
bizutch
9/8/2022 6:37am
Mr.Nally wrote:
What alternate reality is this from? Sam Hill likely hasn't been doing much training the last 5 years or so, hence the lack luster results. There's...

Eoin wrote:
Ah yes, those last 5 years when he won the overall twice... Without training you say, what a man!
Not sure I even want to explain this one if that's where you're gonna start is insulting the dude you don't live down the street from.

First, have always had it on good authority that Hill trains his ASS off. He's NEVER posted about it because he's not interested in advertising it. But dude works stupid hard. And that's not a fan boy. People he's worked with over the years have all confirmed it.

One of them even told me of his heavy training on the road bike during his reign in DH. Never once clipped in. On his flats & Five Tens doing what he had to do.

And just like Eoin states, won the overall twice.

And Kinesio work....getting with a kinesiologist and tweaking his current regimen from the current mix to a more power and explosiveness oriented regimen. Basically the opposite of what Rude did to transition from DH to Enduro.

But hey...say stuff you don't have on good authority.
Mr.Nally
9/8/2022 6:38am
Mr.Nally wrote:

Eoin wrote:
Indeed, 5 years is a stretch, I should have said "post-Covid"
luisgutrod
9/8/2022 7:01am
Karabuka wrote:
2025 World champs is scheduled in Valais region of Switzerland. Only venue with history of DH racing there is Champery, Sam might be in for some...
2025 World champs is scheduled in Valais region of Switzerland. Only venue with history of DH racing there is Champery, Sam might be in for some training before he gets his redemption! (just saying)
I see more money coming from crans montana area these days..still Valais..
Voxran
9/8/2022 7:15am
Karabuka wrote:
2025 World champs is scheduled in Valais region of Switzerland. Only venue with history of DH racing there is Champery, Sam might be in for some...
luisgutrod wrote:
I see more money coming from crans montana area these days..still Valais..
Crans-Montana will host XCO racing, but DH will be in "Region Dents du Midi" -> Champery/Morgins Wink
https://www.valais.ch/fr/information/landingpage/cm-mtb2025
9/8/2022 7:39am
Mr.Nally wrote:

Eoin wrote:
bizutch wrote:
Not sure I even want to explain this one if that's where you're gonna start is insulting the dude you don't live down the street from...
Not sure I even want to explain this one if that's where you're gonna start is insulting the dude you don't live down the street from.

First, have always had it on good authority that Hill trains his ASS off. He's NEVER posted about it because he's not interested in advertising it. But dude works stupid hard. And that's not a fan boy. People he's worked with over the years have all confirmed it.

One of them even told me of his heavy training on the road bike during his reign in DH. Never once clipped in. On his flats & Five Tens doing what he had to do.

And just like Eoin states, won the overall twice.

And Kinesio work....getting with a kinesiologist and tweaking his current regimen from the current mix to a more power and explosiveness oriented regimen. Basically the opposite of what Rude did to transition from DH to Enduro.

But hey...say stuff you don't have on good authority.
He actually won the overall 3 times - 2017-18-19! Wink
Tarhic
9/8/2022 7:47am
Jessica blewitt to Atherton racing ?
9/8/2022 8:39am
Tarhic wrote:
Jessica blewitt to Atherton racing ?
Not sure but would make her presence at Hardline quite logical
Sugarbrad
9/8/2022 9:12am
Gwen Gibson going to Trek factory racing. Who will leave, Richards or Neff?
Nope, not Trek.
9/8/2022 5:48pm
Speaking of esmtb. They had a post about Commecal forming their own team and that alloy bike Cecile was riding.
9/8/2022 8:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2022 8:53pm
Speaking of esmtb. They had a post about Commecal forming their own team and that alloy bike Cecile was riding.
I think thats legit. And I hate to say, getting a little place in Andorra with Cecile? And I mean like roommates, not anything else. Like moving on moving on.
Karabuka
9/8/2022 11:01pm
Voxran wrote:
Crans-Montana will host XCO racing, but DH will be in "Region Dents du Midi" -> Champery/Morgins Wink
https://www.valais.ch/fr/information/landingpage/cm-mtb2025
Its pretty funny how they are not revealing the exact location of a DH race, Champery is an obvious choice or are they actually planing on building a new WC track in Morgins? That hill is pretty sick so I believe it would be a good one
luisgutrod
9/9/2022 1:37am
Karabuka wrote:
Its pretty funny how they are not revealing the exact location of a DH race, Champery is an obvious choice or are they actually planing on...
Its pretty funny how they are not revealing the exact location of a DH race, Champery is an obvious choice or are they actually planing on building a new WC track in Morgins? That hill is pretty sick so I believe it would be a good one
Or chatel…
sethimus
9/9/2022 1:50am
Karabuka wrote:
Its pretty funny how they are not revealing the exact location of a DH race, Champery is an obvious choice or are they actually planing on...
luisgutrod wrote:
Or chatel…
you do realize that chatel is in france? valais is in switzerland…
luisgutrod
9/9/2022 4:23am
sethimus wrote:
you do realize that chatel is in france? valais is in switzerland…
+- .. go down towards swiss side ; ). haha. I know, speaking of chatel, there are couple rounds in france.. with a french cup just done there in august

Post a reply to: 2023 TEAM RUMORS

The Latest