Kerr Denied License, won’t race A1 - Tweets; anyone confirm?

jeff.brines
Various tweets including PulpMX’s Steve Matthes saying Kerr was denied his license. https://twitter.com/pulpmx/status/1212920814091165696?s=21

Is it true? Any hope for him to still get in? Lame!
|
Skerby
1/3/2020 7:21am
This is pretty lame. Kerr looks better than a lot of A1 C group qualifier hopefuls. There are well documented cases of people that have no business on an sx track participating, this is just lame.
jeff.brines
1/3/2020 7:51am
Skerby wrote:
This is pretty lame. Kerr looks better than a lot of A1 C group qualifier hopefuls. There are well documented cases of people that have no...
This is pretty lame. Kerr looks better than a lot of A1 C group qualifier hopefuls. There are well documented cases of people that have no business on an sx track participating, this is just lame.
100% agree. Still holding out hope!
1/3/2020 8:39am
Lame for sure but not super surprised, it did seem all to easy for him to just rock up and race A1 without any previous racing experience. It would be awesome if he kept at it and got everything lined up to race later in the season or at A1 next year.
jeff.brines
1/3/2020 8:47am Edited Date/Time 1/3/2020 9:11am
I agree. Still, he's there with some legends backing him. Somebody pull some damn strings already!

EDIT: He just liked my comment that we need to setup a petition to get him in. Not saying that confirms anything, but it does suggest someone should get something going for #prA1 !

That said, if The King's influence can't get you in, I'm pretty damn sure a 2000 person online easy-to-fake petition will do fuck all.

BUMMER!
Falcon
1/3/2020 9:12am
There's a big brouha going on over on the motorcycle side of things right now; dudes are pissed that the "core" MX riders have to go through the SX futures program to get a Supercross license and then some pro from another sport just gets to wade in and start racing. I'm not as violently opposed to seeing Bernard race as those guys are, but I can see their point. (I'm more upset that there's such a difficult process to enter a pro motorcycle race than I am that a bike guy wants to do it... let him race, I say.... and let me too, if I want! Laughing )

If Cooper Webb wanted to race a UCI downhill event, could he just sign up and try to qualify? I'd be interested to know.
sspomer
Fantasy
35th
1/3/2020 9:21am
cooper webb couldn't try to qualify at a WC unless he had enough UCI points. those are earned by placing well enough at local/regional/national races that offer UCI points. no different to any other mountain bike racer wanting to race WC. their was the loophole a few years ago where you and your crew could pay enough to create a WC team, get licenses and race.

changing topics (sort of), i'd love it if there were open qualifiers before world cup DH races. tuesday open practice for punters, weds open qualifiers, top 3 get a chance to qualify with the existing pros. why not?
jeff.brines
1/3/2020 9:22am
Falcon wrote:
There's a big brouha going on over on the motorcycle side of things right now; dudes are pissed that the "core" MX riders have to go...
There's a big brouha going on over on the motorcycle side of things right now; dudes are pissed that the "core" MX riders have to go through the SX futures program to get a Supercross license and then some pro from another sport just gets to wade in and start racing. I'm not as violently opposed to seeing Bernard race as those guys are, but I can see their point. (I'm more upset that there's such a difficult process to enter a pro motorcycle race than I am that a bike guy wants to do it... let him race, I say.... and let me too, if I want! Laughing )

If Cooper Webb wanted to race a UCI downhill event, could he just sign up and try to qualify? I'd be interested to know.
Rules are rules. Cooper would have to go get UCI points, which has become increasingly difficult in the last few years. (Hell, even *I* had enough points to race way back when!)

Enduro is a different story, where a guy like Cooper with the right email could get into an event.

Its all silly IMO, its clear watching him ride the SX track he can dangle. He won't be the worst rider in practice. He won't be dangerous during practice. That, plus an industry of backing should get him in the day show IMO. Its not like there are 100 guys trying to qualify.

**Oh and on that end, there are ways to game the UCI point system too, one reason you still see 150+ trying to qualify at times.
depeche4
1/3/2020 9:43am
sspomer wrote:
cooper webb couldn't try to qualify at a WC unless he had enough UCI points. those are earned by placing well enough at local/regional/national races that...
cooper webb couldn't try to qualify at a WC unless he had enough UCI points. those are earned by placing well enough at local/regional/national races that offer UCI points. no different to any other mountain bike racer wanting to race WC. their was the loophole a few years ago where you and your crew could pay enough to create a WC team, get licenses and race.

changing topics (sort of), i'd love it if there were open qualifiers before world cup DH races. tuesday open practice for punters, weds open qualifiers, top 3 get a chance to qualify with the existing pros. why not?
Because Redbull would not like it.
TEAMROBOT
Fantasy
813th
1/3/2020 10:28am Edited Date/Time 1/3/2020 12:54pm
You do not need UCI points to race at a World Cup round. Anyone with a USA Cycling international pro license ($225 I think?) can race if they submit a petition to USA Cycling and are accepted onto our "National Federation Team" for the event. Racing for the federation means you have to qualify and race in "The Jersey," your national federation's ugly jersey that has none of your sponsors' logos on it. Here's an example of Eliot Jackson racing Leogang in "The Jersey" in 2011:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6726404/

The rules are probably slightly different now, but back in my day there were 6-7 spots available at any World Cup round, and those spots went to elite men, women, and juniors, with a preference for juniors and women. That meant if you didn't have points and you petitioned as an elite man to race at Snowshoe or Windham or MSA, you're probably not getting a spot, because those races are close and cheap and lots of women and juniors probably also petitioned. I raced 4 World Cups with no points because I petitioned to race far away in expensive places like Norway or Austria. One time I was awarded a spot at MSA, which was awesome. If you qualify wearing "The Jersey," you get UCI points, and eventually you can earn enough points to earn your spot.

In UCI downhill it's way easier to get into a World Cup as a European, in part because there are more European UCI races and thus more UCI points available, but mostly because there are more countries and thus more National Federation spots available. America is one country with 7 spots on it's federation team, but Europe has 44 countries and each of them gets 6-7 spots. That's why Leogang or Maribor are typically so crowded and competitive, and why you'll often see good racers on factory teams not qualify at Leogang or Maribor. In 2011 there were 257 elite men trying to qualify for 80 spots at Leogang.

Seems like Bernard is getting a similar experience from FIM, and it makes sense that the battle to get in would be easier for a Briton than an American. Motocross and supercross are both psycho competitive here in America, but there are probably open spots and(or) easier access for riders from other FIM countries. Those are the rules. Seems like the mid-pack riders are salty that the rules aren't fair. Guess what? They're not. If the haters got Bernard's plan 86'd, that's a bummer.

Also there will never be open qualifiers at a UCI event. That's a nice thought but the UCI and Redbull do not care about equal opportunity or the health of the sport, they care about elite competition and consistent/familiar faces for TV.

malv173
1/3/2020 1:17pm
Well, he believes the Earth is flat apparently, so he may have believed it would be easier to get into AMA than it clearly is.

In all seriousness though, if this is something he really wants he'll surely sort his shit out and give it another go next year. And I honestly hope he gets his chance. He's a talented human being, it'd be lovely to see him share the love with other sports fans.
1/3/2020 1:57pm
Hmmmm .... Racing against the clock in World Cup is one thing. Racing in traffic with dudes and sponsors that have a ton on the line is another. It's probably a good thing that a rider has to be really committed to get into big time supercross. Just cause you have some good speed doesn't really mean you should be in there dicing with the dudes that are doing it for real. There's a lot that can go wrong there. At the same time, it shouldn't be too crazy difficult to get in; but it's totally reasonable to need a few races under your before you get the green light to A1.
sspomer
Fantasy
35th
1/3/2020 2:51pm
(not quoting team robot b/c too long) - good insight robot. thanks for the clarification. also, come on, open qualifiers. let's start an online petition. that will totally work.
depeche4
1/3/2020 3:35pm
When Palmer did it back in the day, were the rules the same as they are today?
piggy
1/3/2020 3:51pm
malv173 wrote:
Well, he believes the Earth is flat apparently, so he may have believed it would be easier to get into AMA than it clearly is. In...
Well, he believes the Earth is flat apparently, so he may have believed it would be easier to get into AMA than it clearly is.

In all seriousness though, if this is something he really wants he'll surely sort his shit out and give it another go next year. And I honestly hope he gets his chance. He's a talented human being, it'd be lovely to see him share the love with other sports fans.
wait - who believes the earth is flat? Bernard? can you source that because I searched and found nothing.
number31crf
1/3/2020 3:57pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2020 4:05pm
TEAMROBOT wrote:
You do not need UCI points to race at a World Cup round. Anyone with a USA Cycling international pro license ($225 I think?) can race...
You do not need UCI points to race at a World Cup round. Anyone with a USA Cycling international pro license ($225 I think?) can race if they submit a petition to USA Cycling and are accepted onto our "National Federation Team" for the event. Racing for the federation means you have to qualify and race in "The Jersey," your national federation's ugly jersey that has none of your sponsors' logos on it. Here's an example of Eliot Jackson racing Leogang in "The Jersey" in 2011:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6726404/

The rules are probably slightly different now, but back in my day there were 6-7 spots available at any World Cup round, and those spots went to elite men, women, and juniors, with a preference for juniors and women. That meant if you didn't have points and you petitioned as an elite man to race at Snowshoe or Windham or MSA, you're probably not getting a spot, because those races are close and cheap and lots of women and juniors probably also petitioned. I raced 4 World Cups with no points because I petitioned to race far away in expensive places like Norway or Austria. One time I was awarded a spot at MSA, which was awesome. If you qualify wearing "The Jersey," you get UCI points, and eventually you can earn enough points to earn your spot.

In UCI downhill it's way easier to get into a World Cup as a European, in part because there are more European UCI races and thus more UCI points available, but mostly because there are more countries and thus more National Federation spots available. America is one country with 7 spots on it's federation team, but Europe has 44 countries and each of them gets 6-7 spots. That's why Leogang or Maribor are typically so crowded and competitive, and why you'll often see good racers on factory teams not qualify at Leogang or Maribor. In 2011 there were 257 elite men trying to qualify for 80 spots at Leogang.

Seems like Bernard is getting a similar experience from FIM, and it makes sense that the battle to get in would be easier for a Briton than an American. Motocross and supercross are both psycho competitive here in America, but there are probably open spots and(or) easier access for riders from other FIM countries. Those are the rules. Seems like the mid-pack riders are salty that the rules aren't fair. Guess what? They're not. If the haters got Bernard's plan 86'd, that's a bummer.

Also there will never be open qualifiers at a UCI event. That's a nice thought but the UCI and Redbull do not care about equal opportunity or the health of the sport, they care about elite competition and consistent/familiar faces for TV.

It is the AMA that is telling him no, because you need an AMA pro license to race. If you can get an FIM MXGP license then that works as an equivalent to get an AMA pro license, but he is not qualifying for the world motocross championship any easier.

They use the AMA rules for Supercross and Motocross. FIM is attached to SX purely to make it a "WORLD" title and they brought WADA in.

He knew that he needed to hold an FIM world motocross championship license to get an AMA pro license as an overseas racer or as someone that doesnt qualify through the SX futures program. He didnt have one. Thats no salt, no foiled plans, no needing to know the right people, he just didnt have the right credentials or the right qualifications

The rules are fair. You can talk to anyone in the pits at a supercross, especially the guys in the back that all spent years traveling to get those pro licenses just like so many of the regulars at the world cups. Its a different system but a fairly strict system none the less.

number31crf
1/3/2020 3:58pm
depeche4 wrote:
No. Vastly different. They have changed a lot in the last couple years with the RC road to supercross and now SX futures
depeche4
1/3/2020 4:00pm
depeche4 wrote:
No. Vastly different. They have changed a lot in the last couple years with the RC road to supercross and now SX futures
Thanks!
Shishka
1/4/2020 10:06am
They did him a favor, after watching his videos honestly confused why, it's like steping in the Octagon after getting small amount of training. His buddy training him in the videos couldn't mess with the 250cc class.
harwox
1/5/2020 4:09pm
sspomer wrote:
cooper webb couldn't try to qualify at a WC unless he had enough UCI points. those are earned by placing well enough at local/regional/national races that...

Because race promoters then need to activate the course to WC standards for another few days and wear the cost of marshalls, medical, hire equipment etc etc. a WC race is hugely expensive with only a few actually turning a profit. The additional days would not be sustainable. The UK system where they often run a BDS event a week or two before Fort William WC is a better option.
bizutch
Fantasy
2149th
1/6/2020 7:43am
So can someone please post his motocross racing results for me? I've hunted everywhere to see where he's raced and his results and can't find anything.

Also, no FOKKING WAY WOULD I NOT FIND A RACE over the weekend. If I had the insider support he's been gifted, I'd get my butt to the closest local track and sign up ASAP. My entire body would explode if I didn't get into a start gate that weekend.

Am I the only one that thinks that? I mean..."Got this bad ass bike. Got all this training in. Got all my fitness in. I gotta find a start gate!!!"

Bernard...you gotta race somewhere and you need to race ASAP!!!
jeff.brines
1/6/2020 8:00am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2020 8:08am
harwox wrote:
Because race promoters then need to activate the course to WC standards for another few days and wear the cost of marshalls, medical, hire equipment etc...
Because race promoters then need to activate the course to WC standards for another few days and wear the cost of marshalls, medical, hire equipment etc etc. a WC race is hugely expensive with only a few actually turning a profit. The additional days would not be sustainable. The UK system where they often run a BDS event a week or two before Fort William WC is a better option.
I'll call BS here.

There is a dollar amount you can charge people to try and qualify for a WC that would *easily* pay for this. There are economies of scale working to your advantage here. Timing equipment already brought in, course already taped and setup, etc etc.

Literally all you'd be paying for is people's time, which at (say) $150/pop would be easy to justify if say, 50 people try to qualify (7,500). At an average of 300/day (paying Marshalls, timers etc) that is 25 people. You probably only need 15 with the remainder going to random venue expenses.

It pencils.

jeff.brines
1/6/2020 8:04am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2020 8:10am
bizutch wrote:
So can someone please post his motocross racing results for me? I've hunted everywhere to see where he's raced and his results and can't find anything...
So can someone please post his motocross racing results for me? I've hunted everywhere to see where he's raced and his results and can't find anything.

Also, no FOKKING WAY WOULD I NOT FIND A RACE over the weekend. If I had the insider support he's been gifted, I'd get my butt to the closest local track and sign up ASAP. My entire body would explode if I didn't get into a start gate that weekend.

Am I the only one that thinks that? I mean..."Got this bad ass bike. Got all this training in. Got all my fitness in. I gotta find a start gate!!!"

Bernard...you gotta race somewhere and you need to race ASAP!!!
...there are no previous results. That was a lot of the brouhaha.(Btw, why is there no media outlet called BROhaha? such a great word)

I really wanted him to have a shot to qualify because I was curious how his skills would translate. That said, the more I think about this the more the AMA made the right call.

Bernard shouldn't give up, he 100% should race a few outdoors and do whatever he needs to do to get a shot. He needs to get into the gate and see what racing in traffic is like.

...or maybe he could go the hard enduro route and try and qualify for erzberg or undertake romaniacs Wink (my current idiot idea of 2020)

EDIT: Actually, I raced the Telluride WC way back in the day as a junior as part of the MSC series. You couldn't qualify for the big show or anything but the fact is this "dual race" type of thing has been run before with great success.
bizutch
Fantasy
2149th
1/6/2020 8:20am
...there are no previous results. That was a lot of the brouhaha.(Btw, why is there no media outlet called BROhaha? such a great word) I really...
...there are no previous results. That was a lot of the brouhaha.(Btw, why is there no media outlet called BROhaha? such a great word)

I really wanted him to have a shot to qualify because I was curious how his skills would translate. That said, the more I think about this the more the AMA made the right call.

Bernard shouldn't give up, he 100% should race a few outdoors and do whatever he needs to do to get a shot. He needs to get into the gate and see what racing in traffic is like.

...or maybe he could go the hard enduro route and try and qualify for erzberg or undertake romaniacs Wink (my current idiot idea of 2020)

EDIT: Actually, I raced the Telluride WC way back in the day as a junior as part of the MSC series. You couldn't qualify for the big show or anything but the fact is this "dual race" type of thing has been run before with great success.
Oh wait. So he's not EVER raced any sort of pro motocross race? Foreign or domestic?
Like...none? Geez. If that's true, this really was a farce from the very beginning.

There's no route for a pro supercross racer to show up at Mte. Saint Anne without a single race result in pro class someplace under their belt. Not sure there is a route for anyone to show up to anything that is of an elite level that doesn't have a race result somewhere back down the line.

Falcon
1/6/2020 2:57pm
Bernard could probably race an AMA National event. The qualification process is different. As long as he holds an FIM Professional license, he can be "substituted" into the AMA series from what I understand. He'd still need to race his way into the day's program via qualifying, but at least he could see some competition.
jonkranked
Fantasy
817th
1/7/2020 8:14am
there was an episode of downtime podcast that dropped right before xmas that was an interview with Kerr. this whole moto thing was apparently a bet going back a few years with some moto dudes that he lived near in NZ.

Post a reply to: Kerr Denied License, won’t race A1 - Tweets; anyone confirm?

The Latest