Do Clipless Pedals Need a New Name?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/16/2017 2:52 AM

For real. It's got to be the worst name ever - but if so, what SHOULD they be called? Vote and weigh in with your suggestions in the comments!

Do Clipless Pedals Need a New Name?





|

10/16/2017 3:01 AM

The flamboyant French call them "pedales automatiques", while the pragmatic Germans refer to them as "Klickpedale". Both seem better than giving them a name that is the actual description of the exact opposite of what they are LOL. Does anybody know of any other good ones out there?

|

10/16/2017 3:23 AM

SPD's?

|

10/16/2017 3:35 AM

I only refer to them as clips. The clipless name needs to go as it makes as much sense as going back to coaster brakes

|

10/16/2017 3:43 AM

FRED TRAMPLER ALWAYS CALDEM PIXIE CLIPS CUS THEYR FER FAERIES

|

10/16/2017 3:57 AM

I guess I never thought about it.

|

10/16/2017 4:03 AM

In Finland we call them "lock pedals"

|

10/16/2017 5:44 AM

In Poland it's something like "latching pedals" or just "locking pedals".

|

10/16/2017 5:50 AM

In Québec, we call them "Pédales à clip".

|

10/16/2017 6:16 AM

I always thought that there are no toe clips on them, so they are clipless? Either way, flats all day.

|

10/16/2017 6:26 AM

Hittheshowers13 wrote:

I always thought that there are no toe clips on them, so they are clipless? Either way, flats all day.

Well, by that logic shouldn't flats also be called clipless pedals?

Anyway, click-pedals would probably be the most straightforward thing to call them that actually makes sense...

|

10/16/2017 7:01 AM

Functional Under Clipping Knickknacks for Improved Traction. Also known as FUCK IT.

|

10/16/2017 7:27 AM

Clips.

|

10/16/2017 8:08 AM

you spend too much time on pinkbike. Hittheshowers has explained why they're called clipless. enjoy knowing more about the history of your sport than others, and move on. sheesh.

|

10/16/2017 8:25 AM

How about BINDERS, or BINDINGS? Hell SHIMANO did make step in snowboard bindings.

|

10/16/2017 9:14 AM

They shall henceforth be call "Foot viginas"

|

10/16/2017 11:35 AM

I mean, colloquially no one really says "I run clipless pedals". They say they run clips or flats.

|

10/16/2017 11:57 AM

Clips or Flats

|

10/16/2017 1:00 PM

Oh sure, kick a pedal when they're down. For shame

|

10/16/2017 1:25 PM

iceman2058 wrote:

The flamboyant French call them "pedales automatiques", while the pragmatic Germans refer to them as "Klickpedale". Both seem better than giving them a name that is the actual description of the exact opposite of what they are LOL. Does anybody know of any other good ones out there?

Not exactly 100% true: pedales automatique is when you're looking to buy a pair on the internet or listening to a soccer speaker trying to do Warner's job. Most of the time we call it "pédaloto" (shorter version), some even use "cales" like in "Ah tu roules en cales aujourd'hui?" or "Tiens! Hill a du gagner une course, il a rangé les cales". Anyway, clipless is stupid. Clips would be ok everywhere on the planet I think.

|

10/16/2017 1:36 PM

In Norwegian; Klikkpedaler

Clickpedals translated, i guess it's the sound they make when you clip in :p

|

10/16/2017 5:21 PM

iceman2058 wrote:

The flamboyant French call them "pedales automatiques", while the pragmatic Germans refer to them as "Klickpedale". Both seem better than giving them a name that is the actual description of the exact opposite of what they are LOL. Does anybody know of any other good ones out there?

mamath7 wrote:

Not exactly 100% true: pedales automatique is when you're looking to buy a pair on the internet or listening to a soccer speaker trying to do Warner's job. Most of the time we call it "pédaloto" (shorter version), some even use "cales" like in "Ah tu roules en cales aujourd'hui?" or "Tiens! Hill a du gagner une course, il a rangé les cales". Anyway, clipless is stupid. Clips would be ok everywhere on the planet I think.

I also hear (and use) a lot of simply "auto"... So I guess it's pretty similar to "clip" vs "flat" which I find to make most sense.

Otherwise we could also rename the "flats" as "bear trap for shins"...

|

10/16/2017 5:37 PM

Bike Bindings, Pedal Bindings

|

10/17/2017 5:10 AM

Down here in Argentina we simply call them "automáticos". Say that to any biker and they'll know you're talking about pedals.

|

10/17/2017 8:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2017 8:14 AM

Rems wrote:

I also hear (and use) a lot of simply "auto"... So I guess it's pretty similar to "clip" vs "flat" which I find to make most sense.

Otherwise we could also rename the "flats" as "bear trap for shins"...

Meat grinders! I once slipped a pedal gapping into a long set of stairs. Not pretty. little coils of skin everywhere.On the toe strap note... Back in the toe strap days, I used to ride in my soccer cleats that had semi soft, molded cleats. They would settle down nicely into the pedal for grip, but could still be yanked out of the straps in an emergency. Back to the strap!

|

10/18/2017 1:19 AM

Suicide pedals?
We usually just call them "klikkpedaler" (click pedals) here in Norway, think it's a nice name for them, they say "click" and then you are stuck.

|

10/18/2017 5:10 PM

marmoset wrote:

They shall henceforth be call "Foot viginas"

Hahahahaaha! OK, Ron Burgundy.

|