2018 Racing Rumors

Create New Tag

5/28/2018 9:26 PM

oliosky wrote:

Looks like Muddy is heading back over to Europe as a privateer again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjUFoh8DcVZ/?hl=en&taken-by=graemebobmudd

trex84 wrote:

I can't believe he didn't get another factory ride after trek!

Are you being facetious? TBH he has a better results history than alot of guys on factory rides :cough:wynmasters:cough:

|

5/28/2018 9:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/28/2018 9:58 PM

Wyn is worth a lot in marketing terms.

EDIT: Oh, and regarding bike lengths, with my current bike i went to a 10 cm longer bike (~1120ish mm wheelbase of Meta 5.5 to ~1220 mm wheelbase of the Giant Reign). The only major difference, out of the gate, was that i had to be over the front more, but that's a lot more connected to the effect of a much shorter stem and a slacker headangle than the wheelbase itself. The longer wheelbase probably does show up in the tightest of corners, but is not a deal breaker. And as it stands, the next bike (finally being an XL as well) will most likely be another ~7 cm longer. Will report then.

|

5/28/2018 10:14 PM

Primoz wrote:

I'd say the most pressing missing piece in SC offering is the lack of decently angled seat tubes (not all this slack, offset malarkey they are doing now).

Also, SO measurements depend on the location (relative to the wheelbase) of measurement, so it's hard to compare between brands and/or models. Plus, knee heigh while riding or while standing beside the bike (given knee height i think i know which it is)? The riding one is also influenced by the BB height for example.

I wholeheartedly agree with your point on seat tube angle. Also, 3 inches above the knee standing next to the bike.

|

5/28/2018 11:11 PM

Primoz wrote:

Wyn is worth a lot in marketing terms.

EDIT: Oh, and regarding bike lengths, with my current bike i went to a 10 cm longer bike (~1120ish mm wheelbase of Meta 5.5 to ~1220 mm wheelbase of the Giant Reign). The only major difference, out of the gate, was that i had to be over the front more, but that's a lot more connected to the effect of a much shorter stem and a slacker headangle than the wheelbase itself. The longer wheelbase probably does show up in the tightest of corners, but is not a deal breaker. And as it stands, the next bike (finally being an XL as well) will most likely be another ~7 cm longer. Will report then.

Wyn should focus on enduro and open up the GT factory DH spot for some fast kid who might actually get a top 20

|

5/29/2018 5:21 AM

grinch wrote:

I’m open to the longer front ends and short stems and the ultra steep seat angle and slack ha. I run a 28mm small stem on my dh bike and a 30mm on my trail bike and I’ve always upsized frames for a longer tt. I’m also really liking steep seat angles and still sliding my seat forward a touch more . I’d like to try a zero stem and I think ,if anything , pole should also use forks with less offset(that’s been working on motorbike choppers for years). I still think the tt and cs and wheelbase is to long on these and have little interest in trying them. It looks like an old rocky mt dh bike. Those were too long and sucked as well. The good and bad traits of long cs, tt and wb are well known. You can only counteract the bad traits soo much by shortening the stem and steepening the seat angle and the pole is maxed out trying to keep the front from pushing and the rear and wb agile in the turns. There’s no more help. Nice standover though so it has that going for it

Fred_Pop wrote:

As a owner of a Pole EVOLINK 176 with a 1340mm wheelbase, 63º headangle, 460mm chainstays and a reach of 520mm I can say hands down this is the best bike I have ever had! I'm 180cm (5'11"). My bike is an L. Sure an Pole in size XL (535mm) or a nicolai geometron in XXL (555mm reach) would probably be too much for me. That being said my bike works everywhere and not just in a straight line! I don't have any problems cornering or riding tight trails. On paper it seems like these bikes won't work but they actually work really well.

Sesame Seed wrote:

Not diminishing your own gains in riding performance, but does the bike react the same as a BMX Bike at-speed on a track?

This overall wide-berth of frame design must be like that of long-skis vs shorter. Each have a tune to the terrain, the result comes from the person choosing to find the limits. I am not a Skier tho...

BMX Bikes have not changed much in 20years, and even still have not changed much in about 35. A little more squat is it, aside form designing compliance and aero-effect.

There are alot of Mountain Bike riders who are looking for a direct ride quality to that of a BMX Racer. These Pole / Nicolai / Mondraker builds appear to be oriented toward the exiting of tight trail segments - all rides being equal of course.

Is this perception of it being 'best bike' from personal failure-points on other bikes or, does this bike ride w/ your being along for the ride? Some riders apparently expect that sensation, but this is a passive experience to some.

I have ridden some super slack bikes, as well as some really steep bikes. Coming from an XC background i actually prefer a steeper HTA +/- 67 on a trail bike. And TBH, it suits me well. I'm not riding the steepest trails in the world and I need to do a fair bit of climbing on my normal "enduro" route. I think proper bike setup and feeling comfortable on the bike is more important than having a ridiculous geo number or crazy long wheelbase.

|

2017 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR expert 29er
2015 Specialized Camber Comp Custom Build

5/29/2018 7:47 AM

I've actually been thinking what would happen if you would take a geometron, slam the rear end to ~420 mm, steepen the head angle to at least 66° if not even something like 67° (66,6° as a happy medium ) and keep the cockpit length and the steep seat angle. The wheelbase would still be insanely long (think 1250, maybe even more), but at least not over 1300 like it is with the geometron. And you'd load the fork bushings less.

But we are badly off topic here.

|

5/29/2018 1:22 PM

moar santa cruz syndatease

|

5/30/2018 9:06 AM

greg minnaar might be out

|

5/31/2018 4:36 AM

|

5/31/2018 4:42 AM

|

6/2/2018 10:35 PM

here's a shot of the Pole at fort william - backwards stem.

|

6/3/2018 2:48 AM

oliosky wrote:

trex84 wrote:

oliosky wrote:

Are you being facetious? TBH he has a better results history than alot of guys on factory rides :cough:wynmasters:cough:

No not at all, I was genuinely surprised when trek didn't re-sign him. he seemed like a great fit and was getting results

|

6/4/2018 7:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/4/2018 7:57 PM

The new v10 in 27.5 mode. It'll be Interesting to see if Santa Cruz goes down the route of dual wheel size compatibility or releases two different framesets.

*Can't say with 100% accuracy that it's 27.5 but based on the fact that it's in the short chainstay position and has Fox 40's and not Fox 49 it's a safe assumption to say its 27.5

|

6/5/2018 12:37 AM

oliosky wrote:

Wyn should focus on enduro and open up the GT factory DH spot for some fast kid who might actually get a top 20

As it stands, the fastest DH racer on the GT Factory Team is their Enduro rider.

|

6/5/2018 2:21 AM

Dylan wrote:

The new v10 in 27.5 mode. It'll be Interesting to see if Santa Cruz goes down the route of dual wheel size compatibility or releases two different framesets.

*Can't say with 100% accuracy that it's 27.5 but based on the fact that it's in the short chainstay position and has Fox 40's and not Fox 49 it's a safe assumption to say its 27.5

WOW that is a thing of beauty I thought I liked the grey one but this monochrome version is so epic!

Where did you find the pic (who's instagram) ?

|

6/5/2018 2:25 AM

Finns bike also pap'd at Fort Bill, wonder if they'll throw a leg over this World Cup season ?

|

6/5/2018 11:37 AM

Dylan wrote:

sorry to disappointing you but from what I see on his instagram that's a 29er(tires measures) ... but yeah, curious to see if they do a two wheel size compatibility or two different framesets.

|

6/6/2018 10:56 AM

oliosky wrote:

trex84 wrote:

oliosky wrote:

Wynn has an EWS win but besides that Wynn has far more marketable ability than Mudd.

|

6/6/2018 1:02 PM

Dylan wrote:

Pedro Fernandes wrote:

sorry to disappointing you but from what I see on his instagram that's a 29er(tires measures) ... but yeah, curious to see if they do a two wheel size compatibility or two different framesets.

I'm a totally noob to the mtb world, coming from the moto scene and falling totally in love with pedals....I love the relation in technology from mtb to moto. Don't scold me too bad for this question but how long have the full on triple clamps been used on the mountain bikes? What I mean is the forks go all the way to the top of the clamps like a dirt bike? I've never seen that before.

|

6/6/2018 2:05 PM

bramlett321 wrote:

I'm a totally noob to the mtb world, coming from the moto scene and falling totally in love with pedals....I love the relation in technology from mtb to moto. Don't scold me too bad for this question but how long have the full on triple clamps been used on the mountain bikes? What I mean is the forks go all the way to the top of the clamps like a dirt bike? I've never seen that before.

1997ish?: https://dirtmountainbike.com/gear/gear-news/retro-products-triple-clamp-forks/

|

6/6/2018 2:10 PM

bramlett321 wrote:

1997ish?: https://dirtmountainbike.com/gear/gear-news/retro-products-triple-clamp-forks/

|

6/6/2018 2:12 PM

|

6/6/2018 2:12 PM

|

6/6/2018 2:48 PM

Probably the best part of 20+ years they have been produced in various styles by many different manufacturers since mid 90's, earliest i can remember was possibly the rockshox Judy? or maybe one of the smaller manufacturers. Early 00's saw the introduction of upsidedown style dual crowns as well.

|

6/6/2018 3:20 PM

|

6/6/2018 6:05 PM

trex84 wrote:

oliosky wrote:

Killa Karp wrote:

Wynn has an EWS win but besides that Wynn has far more marketable ability than Mudd.

Keep him as an EWS rider then and as a GT reporter for the DH world cups and open up that DH spot to someone who can actually break the top 20...

|

6/6/2018 7:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2018 7:11 PM

bramlett321 wrote:

I think that it was about '96-7 when Rock Shox came out with the 4 inch travel DHO with double triples. I think it was the first 20mm through axle too.Still have mine.

|

6/7/2018 3:42 AM

Pedro Fernandes wrote:

bramlett321 wrote:

Big Bird wrote:

I think that it was about '96-7 when Rock Shox came out with the 4 inch travel DHO with double triples. I think it was the first 20mm through axle too.Still have mine.

Wow I have been under a damn rock!!! I need a wholesale parts site where are you guys doing all your online purchases at ??

|

6/7/2018 10:22 AM

steve45 wrote:

Probably the best part of 20+ years they have been produced in various styles by many different manufacturers since mid 90's, earliest i can remember was possibly the rockshox Judy? or maybe one of the smaller manufacturers. Early 00's saw the introduction of upsidedown style dual crowns as well.

Reallyyyyy???? Now that I've never seen. I'd really be interested in riding a mtb equipped that way.

|

6/7/2018 12:01 PM

Hanebrink fork from the late 90's-2000.

|