2018 Racing Rumors

1/18/2018 1:30pm
Saw on IG. Trek Factory Racing on Hope for components and using SRAM drivetrain but not as a sponsor.
mtbAndy wrote:
It looks like they will be wearing Endura.
sspomer wrote:
the full trek racing PR is back on page 34
https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/2018-Racing-Rumors,9845?page=…

hope, endura, renthal etc.
#ROASTEDWITHFACTS
1/19/2018 6:23am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2018 6:28am
(edited...look up 6 posts in this thread)
https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/Rmy-Mtailler-Re-Signs-with-…

Look at the pictures. In one, there's an underside shot of him and his bike. It looked to me like a box shifter and derailleur, so I looked it up. I'm positive on the shifter, you can see its very rounded, but I'm not 100% on the derailleur.

sspomer
1/19/2018 7:08am
From GT - freerider Tom Isted (formerly on Mongoose) moves to GT.
----------------------
Poole, UK – January 19, 2018 – GT Bicycles is proud to announce the signing of leading dirt jump and freeride athlete Tom Isted to the team roster. After one season competing on the global freeride mountain bike (FMCool circuit and with numerous podiums and national titles under his belt, it was time for Isted to be added to the GT squad following six years of support from Mongoose.

On the new sponsorship, Tom said, “I’m over the moon to be representing GT Bicycles for 2018. I can’t wait to see where this partnership goes over the next year, and I’m really looking forward to putting the bikes through their paces.”

Mark Noble, Category Manager at CSG UK said, “I’m stoked we can extend our support of Tom under the GT Bicycles wing. Tom’s an out-and-out shredder on any terrain, from BMX to FMB contests to sending backflips over 85 foot doubles. He can and will do it all – at Mach ten and always with a massive grin on his face. I’m looking forward to the year ahead and working on new projects with Tom.”

Isted will be riding the Fury and Sanction bikes in addition to the 2018 La Bomba dirt jump bike as well as other BMX models, alongside co-sponsors, Etnies Footwear, Extreme, Stanley Tools, Kenda tyres, and Azonic Components.

For more information on GT, its pro riders and the bikes they ride, visit www.gtbicycles.com. Check out GT Bicycles on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, and follow GT Factory Racing on Instagram.

MTBert
1/19/2018 9:09am
(edited...look up 6 posts in this thread) https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/Rmy-Mtailler-Re-Signs-with-FLY-Racing,1948 Look at the pictures. In one, there's an underside shot of him and his bike. It looked to...

Look at the pictures. In one, there's an underside shot of him and his bike. It looked to me like a box shifter and derailleur, so I looked it up. I'm positive on the shifter, you can see its very rounded, but I'm not 100% on the derailleur.

100%ish Saint Groupset
Primoz
1/19/2018 9:47am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2018 10:24am
(edited...look up 6 posts in this thread) https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/Rmy-Mtailler-Re-Signs-with-FLY-Racing,1948 Look at the pictures. In one, there's an underside shot of him and his bike. It looked to...

Indeed it does appear that way. Also TRP brakes, is that something new?

EDIT: as has been mentioned, it looks like saint, at least the shifter. You can see the two paddles in the from below shot and the thumb paddle is too large and flippery to be a BOX shifter.
Robson
1/19/2018 9:52am
Aaaaand as said here before, not a FoxFork on Brendog’s Genius
1/19/2018 10:02am
Robson wrote:
Aaaaand as said here before, not a FoxFork on Brendog’s Genius [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/01/19/5878/s1200_22457C8B_4096_47D8_B8F3_8632383C85C7.jpg[/img]
TRP brakes as well as previously mentioned. Looks like different (non-shimano) cranks would assume they're DMR Axe due to his sponsorship/association with DMR. Unless Deity have something new in the works. Also noticed he's still running the Transfer dropper and i assume the Nude Shock (although he's managed to keep it well hidden in his stories so maybe not
sambrody
1/19/2018 10:15am
Is this DVO's first go on a WC team?
Primoz
1/19/2018 10:23am
And with a new rear shock!

Also, i think brendog has been seen with a BOS rear shock as well.
PeteB
1/19/2018 10:25am
Giant Factory Off-Road Team on DVO suspension [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/01/19/5879/s1200_IMG_7927.jpg[/img]
Giant Factory Off-Road Team on DVO suspension

That's definitely a new DVO shock... Looks like a few more adjustments. Maybe a DPX2/X2 similar damper design?
sspomer
1/19/2018 10:28am
Official Giant / DVO Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
GIANT FACTORY OFF-ROAD TEAM PARTNERS WITH
DVO SUSPENSION FOR 2018 RACE SEASON
Giant team riders, mechanics and engineers will work directly with DVO technicians to optimize suspension performance on the team’s race bikes

The Giant Factory Off-Road Team announced today that it is partnering with DVO Suspension this year in a joint effort to optimize the performance of the team’s full- suspension downhill, enduro and XC race bikes. All of the team’s Maestro Suspension equipped bikes will feature shock technology created by the California- based suspension company.
“This marks a new phase for the team,” said Giant Factory Off-Road Team manager Joe Staub. “DVO is bringing an entire suspension brand to support our team. That means we get unlimited access to their full scope of engineering, product development and attention to tuning, as well as race support.”

With the start of the 2018 race season approaching, team riders have begun testing their new bikes and gear, including new suspension setups. After achieving initial suspension setups early in the year, a team camp scheduled for March will give the DH, enduro and XC riders an opportunity to work closely with DVO engineers to fine- tune their suspension systems ahead of key events.

“The relationship we have this year with the Giant Factory Off-Road Team is special because we are really focused 100 percent with Giant and their off-road program,” said DVO founder Bryson Martin. “From XC to enduro to downhill, all we do is focus on the team—making the best suspension for the team guys and specifically for each bike model and segment”

Martin said DVO will be creating and tuning shock technologies for specific usages, and the unique demands of pro racing. “For enduro, we’ll have a rear shock and matching front fork,” he said. “In downhill, where you’re pushing things to the extreme, we have some really cool, outside-the-box product planned for those guys.”

Returning to lead the downhill unit this year is seven-time Colombian downhill national champion Marcelo Gutierrez. Competing at the top level in the World Cup and other elite DH events where bike performance is critical, and where results come down to fractions of a second, Gutierrez said he is looking forward to working with DVO.

“It’s great knowing they are going to be really focused on us,” said Gutierrez. “They have the engineering experience, and we have the riding and racing experience. Together, we should be able to create some amazing bikes.”
The downhill unit of the squad consists of Gutierrez, Irish national champion Jacob Dickson and American Eliot Jackson.

Those three will focus on World Cups and other major DH events on their Glory Advanced race bikes. The downhill squad is coming off a strong season that saw Gutierrez land two World Cup podiums and win the Garbanzo DH event at Crankworx Whistler for the fifth year in a row.

The enduro squad also sees the return of some familiar faces. Australian Josh Carlson and Canadian Mckay Vezina will again focus on Enduro World Series events, competing on their Reign Advanced race bikes.

“The product they’re providing us already, straight out of the box, is phenomenal,” said Carlson. “The amount of adjustment, the feeling, it’s something that I’ve always been searching for since I’d come to mountain bikes from motocross a few years ago. I’m really excited to see the final outcome and it gives me more confidence heading into 2018.”

Joining Giant’s two global enduro athletes is Rae Morrison of New Zealand, who will once again represent the Liv women’s brand, racing her Liv Hail Advanced bike at EWS and other major enduro events.

In addition to the global riders, the 2018 Giant Factory Off-Road Team also includes a group of North American regional athletes led by veteran XC racer Carl Decker. Those racers will focus on a variety of major enduro, XC and gravel racing events in North America aboard their Anthem, XtC and TCX race bikes. Joining Decker on the regional squad are XC racers Stephan Davoust and Cole Paton, plus enduro racer and BMX Olympic medalist Mike Day.

“Each racer is different,” Martin said. “What they want from the suspension and how it relates to the bikes varies. There’s a lot of stuff going on with the bike design. You’ve got the kinematics and wheel base and then the individual aspect of the rider, how they ride, their position on the bike. So we’re going to be able to specifically dial in exactly the feel of the bike with regards to the suspension and make them go faster.”

You can follow the Giant Factory Off-Road Team all season long at facebook.com/giantfactoryteam.

Josh Carlson and Mckay Vezina will contend the complete Enduro World Series on their DVO-equipped Reign Advanced race bikes.

DVO and Giant engineers are working closely to develop rear shocks that are optimized for the Maestro platform.

Marcelo Gutierrez is a seven-time DH national champion in his home nation of Colombia. For 2018 he will again focus on major downhill races around the world including the UCI World Cup series.

Vezina: Canadian Mckay Vezina currently resides in Southern California, near DVO headquarters, and says he looks forward to working closely with the company’s suspension engineers.

About Giant: Giant is the world’s leading brand of high quality bicycles and cycling gear. Since 1972, Giant has combined craftsmanship, technology and innovative design to create the ultimate cycling experience for all riders, casual to competitive. Through its products, people and retail partners, Giant inspires passion for cycling all around the world. For more information, go to giant-bicycles.com.
kwapik
1/19/2018 10:48am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2018 10:53am
PeteB wrote:
That's definitely a new DVO shock... Looks like a few more adjustments. Maybe a DPX2/X2 similar damper design?
Yeah, there it is...the new Topaz 2

I'm stoked to see DVO on the big stage. Great to see them competing with Fox, RockShox, Ohlins, et al.

1/19/2018 12:17pm
Wonder if we'll see more DVO spec on Giant bikes next season as a result?
parnifel
1/19/2018 12:33pm
Great news for DVO, glad to see such a brand teaming up with Giant. It also goes to show how open minded the GFORT is for letting DVO have a chance.
It also seems like the team is on Shimano Drivetrains?
If you take a look at Vezina's bike, its got the XTR rear mech with a 11-46T cog..awesome new. Way to go Giant.
Whattheheel
1/19/2018 2:54pm
Yes, Bryson Sr. said on this other really crappy site that there will be OEM spec from Giant.
Masjo
1/19/2018 6:54pm
sspomer wrote:
not really team rumors but figure a lot of DH nerds in this thread will find this funny. get an email from Mike Rose (sweet, wonder...
not really team rumors but figure a lot of DH nerds in this thread will find this funny. get an email from Mike Rose (sweet, wonder what he's up to?) It's a press release for a DH video game. instantly saddened. really? mike went for the main man at Dirt to emailing press releases about video games? then i looked at the "about us" - different Mike Rose...PHEW!! hahaha

In case anyone was truly wondering about this game and can handle some over-the-top sarcasm, you can find a preview here. It looks... interesting?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GajiaTqtc
1/20/2018 2:43am
Robson wrote:
Aaaaand as said here before, not a FoxFork on Brendog’s Genius [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/01/19/5878/s1200_22457C8B_4096_47D8_B8F3_8632383C85C7.jpg[/img]
TRP brakes as well as previously mentioned. Looks like different (non-shimano) cranks would assume they're DMR Axe due to his sponsorship/association with DMR. Unless Deity have...
TRP brakes as well as previously mentioned. Looks like different (non-shimano) cranks would assume they're DMR Axe due to his sponsorship/association with DMR. Unless Deity have something new in the works. Also noticed he's still running the Transfer dropper and i assume the Nude Shock (although he's managed to keep it well hidden in his stories so maybe not
Looks like "O"in BOS

Verbl Kint
1/20/2018 6:08am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2018 6:09am
I expect a press release in the coming weeks regarding "Factory-spec" Trance, Reign, and Glory model lineups. "First look" articles should follow next.
1/22/2018 3:50am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 5:51am
Robson wrote:
Might be weird, but the crown and the knobs look like TST micros from Marzocchi 2006 or 2007, but I know it can't be. It could well be a Formula fork.
RobMil
1/22/2018 6:01am
6E21A3D3.jpg" class="img-fluid" />

Looks like it’s MRP.
RobMil
1/22/2018 6:03am
Robson wrote:
fulgacian wrote:
Might be weird, but the crown and the knobs look like TST micros from Marzocchi 2006 or 2007, but I know it can't be. It could...
Might be weird, but the crown and the knobs look like TST micros from Marzocchi 2006 or 2007, but I know it can't be. It could well be a Formula fork.
Looks like it’s MRP.

1/22/2018 6:20am
The graphics on Brendog's forks are quite different than the new Ribbon posted above.

Anyway, wasn't it posted a few pages ago that the Scott team will be running BOS suspension?

Post a reply to: 2018 Racing Rumors

The Latest