The Racer Inside All of Us.....

Create New Tag

4/7/2018 7:57 AM

Hey guys, I'm just coming into , idk like my 30th season of riding at the ripe age of 35. Ive raced most of my life..until now. Times have changed though..I have a wife,a 6 year old that just had her first year at school, a house to take care of, lots going on. LIKE, most of you.
This is my situation and didn't know if anybody could relate? I only have time to maybe do one Enduro race a month and only train maybe twice a week if that, if you want to call it training, between Daddy Day Care duties, anyways, I need to get back to riding for fun. I don't have time for test laps, and bike setup, and to go kill Strava! I want to get back to the basics and I'm having trouble shutting off the racer inside me. I'm still messing with tire pressure, suspension setup Non-Stop, bar height and roll, just basically bike setup, non stop trying to make it the most efficient, fastest weapon I can. Honestly I just want to stop that crap! It takes up a lot of time, when I could be playing with my daughter, or shredding! I'm no longer sponsored, on the payroll... so why can't I stop racing myself???Can you relate?

|

4/7/2018 8:46 AM

Just race less, race your friends. Train the best you can. I'm 38, same situation, but different background (only 5 years into mtb)..I just did an ews . Ride on bro !

|

4/7/2018 10:15 AM

Just ride your bike, have fun racing or not.

|

4/7/2018 11:52 AM

Night rides !

|

4/7/2018 12:33 PM

It took me about 2 years after i stopped racing Pro to get it out of my blood. I still get flare ups whenever i really get in a " flow" state while riding. I did all i could do racing and i no longer was getting faster/better. The only other choice was to drop down and accept hollow ,age bracketed wins. Not saying this is a bad thing for anyone but me. But, i only have so many days of life and my family and kids are MUCH more rewarding than anything on a bike. Plus, its finally nice to enjoy a bike ride for what it is. Also...Strava

|

4/7/2018 12:45 PM

I can relate, 48 with 5 kids and a very intense job. Still race as much as possible and even though I am not winning a lot still having fun hanging with everyone. Priorities change, but the drive doesn't.

|

4/7/2018 12:49 PM

Larry_Greene wrote:

It took me about 2 years after i stopped racing Pro to get it out of my blood. I still get flare ups whenever i really get in a " flow" state while riding. I did all i could do racing and i no longer was getting faster/better. The only other choice was to drop down and accept hollow ,age bracketed wins. Not saying this is a bad thing for anyone but me. But, i only have so many days of life and my family and kids are MUCH more rewarding than anything on a bike. Plus, its finally nice to enjoy a bike ride for what it is. Also...Strava

Yeah, exactly what I'm talking about. Whenever I'm on a good trail or the bike is riding primo, I turn it up to 11. Then when the ride is done I'm so stoked,I can't stop thinking about way to make my bike faster or the next ride better...I was debating going back to flats for a full season and start riding wout Strava. Maybe less racing too..idk though I like going to ride nice tracks that I don't get to often..

|

4/7/2018 2:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/7/2018 3:56 PM

I'm 42 and still racing DH mtb, it has been probably 30 years spent between the tape.
I live it like an addiction. If I know there is a local race close by and I'm not attending, I feel bad and sweating at my desk..
With job and kid duties, I have no time for bike setup and training but even if I know I'm going to be spanked, I take any chances to take a race run.
There is nothing like these 3 minutes of adrenaline fully focused on the moment. I don't care one bit about the result but I want to chase this feeling until my body stop letting me ride.
I have been a little bit less obsessed this last few years, I let my body heal if I have to and I cherry pick a bit more where I'm going but I still live for racing.
If you really love racing for what it is, regardless of what you do before or after the race run, NEVER GIVE UP.

|

4/7/2018 2:58 PM

I stopped racing and sold my bike in 2014 because I couldn't afford to do it at the capacity I wanted/needed to. After going financially solo at the end of 2012 I could only ride my bike at races and ended up using the same set of tires for the entire year of 2013 but did get a fresh set for 2014. I was always bummed because I knew a new set of tires or a few shuttle weekends would have helped a lot with results but the money just wasn't there. I still ended up with several podiums and top 10's but I always wanted to know what I could do with an actual focus on racing. I didn't want to have a bike just to half ass it at the races for decent results, but I simply could not afford any time/money outside of the races for riding and parts.
I could have just ridden on weekends and not raced, but riding new tracks (or at least not my local trails) and focusing my whole weekend on getting a single perfect run is my drug and I didn't want a bike without it. All I've thought about the past 3.5 years is racing; when I hear the start beeps on the UCI live feed I get goosebumps and just thinking about the last 10 minutes before a race run gets my heart "racing". There's no better feeling than pushing your own limits, whether it's on a bike, work, or anywhere else.
Now after a few years of trail running, borrowing trail bikes every now and then, and getting a better job I can finally scratch my long term itch for DH racing. I've bought a bike, will be buying the stupid $200 UCI license, started going to the gym, and plan on doing a few CO/NM races, possibly National Champs, and maybe the Mammoth Pro GRT. I'd love to race a world cup by the end of next year as it has been one my goals since racing day one.
In short, racing rules!
P.S. I'm hugely excited to race the Pro GRT here in Durango

|

4/7/2018 4:10 PM

Stop using strava, stop taking your rides so seriously because you dont need to, and just enjoy the ride more. If your on strava trying to beat other peoples times and shit your concentrating (weather its conscious or not) on pushing yourself. Im not saying not to push it, but if your pushing it because your feeling it and not to beat some name on a screen, you'll have more fun.

|

4/7/2018 7:15 PM

Think about getting back into racing all the time after tasting the pointy end a time or two at the highest level. Injury stopped me cold a few years back and since recovering I've dabbled in a few local races, one being the Aspen EWS posting competitive times. Having a kid, buying and house and pursuing a new career has since prevented me from pursuing anything serious, but at the ripe ol age of 30 I still feel relatively young and when things settle down could see a comeback to racing. Biggest reason would be to fulfill the competitive nature that still drives me to ride my best, racing has also taken me all over the world and riding in new areas, meeting new people has always been the best benefit of the sport. Maybe see y'all out there again soon!

|

4/7/2018 10:14 PM

The past few years, I have only done a few select races. This year will be the same due to work and family and work commitments, plus a broken wrist and elbow that are being pains in the rectal area and not healing properly. What races I will do are more for the fun aspect, I am 38 this year, and am not as fast as I used to be. I am slowly rebuilding my fitness and reacquainting myself with this thing called pedalling lol. My main focus is to build fitness, save a bit of coin and then hit Crankworks and race every event I can the year I turn 40. Oh, and forgot to mention, chuck in work possibly shifting me to the flattest part of the country for the next 3 years starting January.......I guess a road bike will be joining the stable hahaha

|

4/7/2018 10:35 PM

went to law school... got fat... still give unsolicited line choice advice to people... left racing after getting burned out on everything and started to stop being happy with bikes in general. Took a break from dh and got a trail bike. Slowly started morphing my trail bike into a downhill bike. Put a boxxer on it. Got a road bike. Put renthals on it. Starting to find the joy again....

|

4/8/2018 4:46 AM

crooksy wrote:

The past few years, I have only done a few select races. This year will be the same due to work and family and work commitments, plus a broken wrist and elbow that are being pains in the rectal area and not healing properly. What races I will do are more for the fun aspect, I am 38 this year, and am not as fast as I used to be. I am slowly rebuilding my fitness and reacquainting myself with this thing called pedalling lol. My main focus is to build fitness, save a bit of coin and then hit Crankworks and race every event I can the year I turn 40. Oh, and forgot to mention, chuck in work possibly shifting me to the flattest part of the country for the next 3 years starting January.......I guess a road bike will be joining the stable hahaha

I get the "get a road bike" line a lot... I dust them off telling them that any time I have available for riding it better be off the freaking roads... I rather do static bike than road.

|

4/8/2018 9:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2018 9:49 AM

Maybe take your girl to some race or just buy her a bike and build jumps and stuff together?

Ther is alot of kids racing in BMX and XC + you gett to train and spend time with her at the same time!
You learn alot trying to explain and teatch things.

6 years old is a good time to start as long as its kept on the fun-level.

|

4/8/2018 1:29 PM

Niklas87 wrote:

Maybe take your girl to some race or just buy her a bike and build jumps and stuff together?

Ther is alot of kids racing in BMX and XC + you gett to train and spend time with her at the same time!
You learn alot trying to explain and teatch things.

6 years old is a good time to start as long as its kept on the fun-level.

Yeah, we have been doing just that. She's been on a Trek Kickster since 2, and just got her a cannodale Trail 20. She's doing great on it so far and we actually started building a pump track together in the backyard. Through this, I'm finding that I really enjoy coaching and sharing the stoke! We'll see how far she would like to go with it.
As far as racing more, since what I felt was an early departure from BMX, MX was injury after injury, I found DH and Enduro late. I always xc'ed, but didn't know DH was so rad til 2012! I wish I could just do one big year and make it to a world cup or do crankworx! So bad! I think about it though, and the selftalk starts and I shut it down for whatever reasons. But I would love to be able to say one day, I reached those goals. Not sure though.
Love where this forum is going guys! Thanks for sharing all your awesome stories, keep them coming. Ride Or Die

|

4/8/2018 6:19 PM

SRube wrote:

Hey guys, I'm just coming into , idk like my 30th season of riding at the ripe age of 35. Ive raced most of my life..until now. Times have changed though..I have a wife,a 6 year old that just had her first year at school, a house to take care of, lots going on. LIKE, most of you.
This is my situation and didn't know if anybody could relate? I only have time to maybe do one Enduro race a month and only train maybe twice a week if that, if you want to call it training, between Daddy Day Care duties, anyways, I need to get back to riding for fun. I don't have time for test laps, and bike setup, and to go kill Strava! I want to get back to the basics and I'm having trouble shutting off the racer inside me. I'm still messing with tire pressure, suspension setup Non-Stop, bar height and roll, just basically bike setup, non stop trying to make it the most efficient, fastest weapon I can. Honestly I just want to stop that crap! It takes up a lot of time, when I could be playing with my daughter, or shredding! I'm no longer sponsored, on the payroll... so why can't I stop racing myself???Can you relate?

I'm not much of a racer, but I do like going fast. I can relate to being obsessed with bike setup mostly because when I change something about my setup and it feels like an improvement, it gets me wondering if more improvements are possible. I'd say embrace the obsession. But if time is an issue, spend the necessary time to get it feeling dialed on your go-to trails and just run it.

Turning off Strava helps with the "did I go faster?" obsession. Every now and then I go long periods without using Strava just to remind myself that the real reason I ride a bike is because its really really fun. Sometimes I make riding a trail with as much style as possible my ultimate goal. That can be a really fun task to try and accomplish, even if its one that can't really be measured. I'm not a very stylish rider so I practice a lot on my jibs, drifts, wheelies, schralps, steeze, etc. Improving on the bike in different ways feels like an accomplishment.

|

I try to do less thinking and more sending.

4/8/2018 7:45 PM

Opposite end of the spectrum... I’m a former roadie that raced in high school and college. Made it to the state champs level where I usually podiumed. Took about two decades off and got into booze, then sport bikes and also dirt bikes and finally XC as a form of cross training for dirt biking. Now, I don’t own any motos, but I’ve got a XC bike, a fat bike and a DH bike. When I got into mtb I told myself no racing, hell, no riding hard or getting my body weight way down to race shape. Occasionally I’ll forget and push hard for a few seconds... and then I back right off. Wife, kid, dog, house and all that jazz. I just do a lot of solo rides with the dog and enjoy it for what it is, time on two wheels.

Hopefully the season pass at the bike park for the DH bike doesn’t turn back on the competitive side of me...

|

4/9/2018 3:47 PM

Find a different sport.

Seriously! I was in your same predicament a few years back, but with motocross (motorcycles) - losing my edge, feeling slower each passing month because I couldn't afford to ride/race/train as much as I needed to. I finally decided that I was just going to let go and let the cards fall where they may. I was already too old to make it as a pro, and that never really was my goal anyway. I had raced and won +30 Vet class races at some prestigious levels and I had all the success I could ask for. Why chase more? If it isn't at the highest level, who really cares?

Instead, I started riding MTB a lot more often. I'm nowhere near as good on a bike as I was on a motorcycle, and that's OK. It's actually a nice little challenge: Will I ever be as good on a bike as I was at MX? How much can I improve at this age? (I'm 47.) I can approach it with a lot more humility and just enjoy myself. I don't feel any pressure to be better than everyone else like I did in my "main" endeavor.

Now whenever I ride an MX bike, it's more about being fast and loose enough to enjoy myself. I might have a much different (less satisfying,) feeling about it if all I did was try to race MX.

|