Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Industry Job's?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/18/2011 11:42 AM

Iv recently been looking for a change of scenery and change of careers. I'm currently a Workshop Technician(cycle mechanic) for Chain Reaction Cycles and have been for almost 2 years. I want to hopefully start with a bike or component producing company such as Santa Cruz or Sram. Just wondering if you guys might know where to start looking or have heard of any positions. Willing to go anywhere in the world as long as i can ride my bike there. Any help is welcome, thanks in advance!

|

1/18/2011 12:04 PM

You don't want to come to the United States....that's all I can tell you.

|

Ass Ass Ass

1/18/2011 12:18 PM

I used to work for Haro in SoCal, one of the best jobs I ever had, good people, fun environment and I wasnt at all burdoned with the extra pay and benefits you might find in a typical corporate setting. All jokes aside I wish I would have stuck with it, if you love bikes and despise money the bike industy might be a perfect fit. Good luck.

|

1/18/2011 1:31 PM

mxnate wrote:

I used to work for Haro in SoCal, one of the best jobs I ever had, good people, fun environment and I wasnt at all burdoned ...more

I just graduated from college in December with a Mechanical Engineering Degree and have been searching and applying for jobs in the bicycle industry and the Sports and Recreation Industry. I have not had any luck in getting an interview or anything and could use any help I can get.

Do you still have any connections at Haro? I have checked their website, but I have not seen anything on there about job openings. I greatly appreciate any help you can give me with this.

Thanks!

|

1/18/2011 2:02 PM

Click the career button at the bottom right of this page: http://www.foxracingshox.com/

|

1/18/2011 2:17 PM

mxnate wrote:

I used to work for Haro in SoCal, one of the best jobs I ever had, good people, fun environment and I wasnt at all burdoned ...more

dmarsh15 wrote:

I just graduated from college in December with a Mechanical Engineering Degree and have been searching and applying for jobs ...more

Sorry, its been too many years to count since I left and there was a fairly large restructuring shortly thereafter, Im afraid my contacts would be useless. Dont limit yourself to the bike biz, if theres a sport or rec opportunity available take it, you can always apply what you've learnt to the bike biz later.

|

1/19/2011 7:19 AM

I just recently got my foot in the bike industry door working for KMC Chains. Im very excited to work for KMC and looking forward to the future. You can try www.bicycleretailer.com for jobs in the classifieds http://www.bicycleretailer.com/classifieds/16.html there is a good amount of jobs in there, check it every couple of days and apply to them all! Good luck!

DFY

|

1/19/2011 8:08 AM

I found the site www.outdoorindustryjobs.com to be a good tool. Check it out, you can personalize your profile based on your skills. The site sends out weekly emails of newly available jobs in your chosen field within the outdoor realm.

|

just hanging out with the bros, feeding off of each other

1/19/2011 8:54 AM

I'd say the biggest things are luck, persistence, and persistence. While experience in a shop setting is a huge plus it isn't going to be the be-all end-all thing that gets you employment in the bike industry. A mechanical engineering degree is definitely a plus but at the same time, if a company isn't hiring engineers at the moment but they are hiring in their warehouse or for an admin position then you might want to consider taking it to get your foot in the door and then once in your opportunities grow considerably within both that particular company and within the entire industry. If you do get into the bike industry get prepared to work with some of the most passionate people out there who will expect you to work above and beyone your potential and do it for a relatively small paycheck in comparison to what the same job in another industry would pay. If you can handle that prepare a resume, apply for literally everything you can, and keep at it.

|

Who wants to make robot costumes?

1/19/2011 10:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2011 11:25 AM

This is a great thread, it’s really funny because we are all here because we love bikes and follow the lifestyles of folks that ride bikes for a living. I have found that social networking is killing my perception of what ‘real’ is…

I have a degree in computer science and international business and work in the retail world primarily in logistics. I am constantly checking sites for something that might fit the nitch for me but it seems like a very slim chance, the industry just isn’t a machine for creating lucrative jobs. It’s a crazy balance of making a killer salary that enables me to travel and ride quite a bit vs. making way less and possibly not having the opportunities I have now.

I would say that along with a mechanical engineering degree and shop experience it is extremely important to have your finger on the pulse of the industry. The viral web video and marketing aspect is crazy important. You need to be well rounded on that front as well as riding/wrenching/engineering…but what do I know…I am not in the industry…

Anyone have a job opening? Ha…

|

1/19/2011 10:21 AM

Another good resource for your search - http://www.malakye.com/asp/front/default.asp

|

1/19/2011 1:01 PM

Its all just really about WHO you know....

|

1/19/2011 2:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2011 2:17 PM

shovel1st wrote:

Its all just really about WHO you know....

yeah no doubt...that is crazy important...

i 'know' some good industry ppl and some of the best things that I have been able to do in MTB'ing was because of it.

|

1/19/2011 5:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2011 5:24 PM

I never worked in a shop, knew nobody in the industry, and had no real work experience, and I got an engineering job in the industry. I walked into my interview with a full suspension frame and a suspension carbon fiber fork I had built. They were both school projects. If you have a real passion for bikes it will come out in everything you choose to do. Remember though, there are a lot of people interested in those industry jobs and not a whole lot of them (hence why the pay is so crappy). EVERYBODY who applys is passionate about bikes, so you better have something else to offer too because the companies can usually afford to be picky.

|

1/19/2011 5:45 PM

i was chillin at my local spot hitting jumps one day and some people came up and started riding with me...turned out they were from intense cycles and hired me the next day. so i guess i dont have any advice- just try to get lucky haha

|

1/19/2011 6:24 PM

swilson669 wrote:

i was chillin at my local spot hitting jumps one day and some people came up and started riding with me...turned out they were ...more

Shoot me a p.m. with directions to that spot. No one ever offered me a job where I ride. haha

|

1/19/2011 9:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2011 9:59 PM

keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.

|

1/20/2011 6:13 AM

If you want to get paid, earn an engineering degree and learn to speak Chinese. If not, keep trusting in all that bullshit our hippie parents fed us about living your dreams, and doing what you love, and trusting in your path, and having faith in the kindness of others, and following your passion, and never working a day in your life, and writing with your tongue in your cheek, and all that.

|

1/20/2011 6:35 AM

joss wrote:

If you want to get paid, earn an engineering degree and learn to speak Chinese. If not, keep trusting in all that bullshit our ...more

LOL about the hippie parents advice. true about engineering and speaking chinese/mandarin.

|

1/20/2011 8:40 AM

I'd suggest learning how to spell wink

|

1/20/2011 2:16 PM

sspomer wrote:

LOL about the hippie parents advice. true about engineering and speaking chinese/mandarin.

I have the engineering degree, all I need now are some more connections and learn how to speak chinese...looks like I need to buy rosetta stone lol.

Do you know of any job openings?

|

1/21/2011 4:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2011 4:30 AM

joss wrote:

If you want to get paid, earn an engineering degree and learn to speak Chinese. If not, keep trusting in all that bullshit our ...more

I followed the hippie parents' advice, by the way.

http://www.scott-sports.com/ch_fr/company/jobs

There are a couple in there.

|

1/24/2011 10:08 AM

I need a favour, I'm trying to put a list of industy players in SoCal, say L.A. south to Tiajuana? Looking for bikes, parts, accesories or clothing companies. Thanks for the help.

|

1/24/2011 3:11 PM

mxnate wrote:

I need a favour, I'm trying to put a list of industy players in SoCal, say L.A. south to Tiajuana? Looking for bikes, parts, ...more

Oh man, practically half of the entire industry is down here...

|

1/25/2011 6:58 AM

|

Terra Tek Trails

1/25/2011 2:09 PM

Thanks everyone for the replys, some great info here.

|