ALL THINGS LEOGANG WORLD CUP

Create New Tag

6/8/2017 8:21 AM

After a drama-filled week from Fort William, it's time to kick off Leogang. for fun, here are greg's bikes over the years. what's this have to do with leogang? hmmm. not sure yet.

26 v10 special edition from 2013

27.5 v10 winning fort william

29 v10 winning fort william

|

6/8/2017 8:56 AM

First batch of PIT BITS just dropped!

|

6/8/2017 10:01 AM

course walk with scott

|

6/9/2017 7:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2017 2:38 PM

Brook had a rough start to the morning. HOLY CRAP

video via @mayhemmedia

|

6/9/2017 8:27 AM

holy shit what a crash. I love how he rolls right into position to look up trail and get out of the way of other riders. He seems to never lose his poise even with taking that big hit

|

6/9/2017 8:41 AM

^^^ True pro move.

Looks like he got lost or didn't know what was over that roller- he hit the eject button immediately...

|

6/9/2017 10:16 AM

is he on a 29er?

|

6/9/2017 10:23 AM

JayDawger wrote:

is he on a 29er?

no.

|

6/9/2017 10:29 AM

Tough one, but how did he manage to unclip and land on his feet?

|

6/9/2017 10:44 AM

Alex1 wrote:

because of these calves haha

|

6/9/2017 11:08 AM

Anything about Atwill?

|

6/9/2017 11:10 AM

Thats quite similar to Matti Lehikonens from a few years ago

|

6/9/2017 11:11 AM

Alex1 wrote:

sspomer wrote:

because of these calves haha

Lol. Must be.

|

6/9/2017 11:14 AM

TimBud wrote:

Thats quite similar to Matti Lehikonens from a few years ago

You mean the one where his back wheel caught a water bar and he went OTB and his bike tomahawked into a tree? That one was grarly

|

6/9/2017 11:17 AM

yeah the good old days when CRC were still on Intense and Kovarik was racing

|

6/9/2017 11:40 AM

Timed training results are HERE, boosh!

|

6/9/2017 12:04 PM

sspomer wrote:

Brook had a rough start to the morning. HOLY CRAP

video via @mayhemmedia

Maybe should have gone for the nac nac instead of the heal clicker?

|

6/9/2017 12:28 PM

Before we're 100% onto Leogang, out of curiosity will there be a Vital Ft. W race recap video like you did for Lourdes? I sent that one around to some family and casual fans. Increase the tribe.

|

6/9/2017 2:03 PM

fun house wrote:

Before we're 100% onto Leogang, out of curiosity will there be a Vital Ft. W race recap video like you did for Lourdes? I sent that one around to some family and casual fans. Increase the tribe.

back-to-back weekends are tough, so the plan is to have a ft bill + leogang recap on tuesday. glad you were into it enough to send it around!

|

6/9/2017 2:37 PM

Just to clarify why Brook crashed: a mechanical locked up his rear wheel under braking and pitched him off the bike out of a compression as he approached the knuckle of the roll-over.

|

6/9/2017 2:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2017 3:06 PM

sideshow wrote:

Just to clarify why Brook crashed: a mechanical locked up his rear wheel under braking and pitched him off the bike out of a compression as he approached the knuckle of the roll-over.

Wow. One of my greatest fears (brake locking up - specifically my front one) - at speed.

Unrelated, and sorry Spomer if this isn't okay to post but some interesting banter here from the riders on 29ers, course selection and Leogang

|

6/9/2017 3:07 PM

embed whatever you want in here!!! i wanna see it all and i'm sure everyone else does

|

6/9/2017 3:24 PM

As bummed as I am to see the lack of excitement from the riders, and understandably so, this is still my favorite time of year and I'm stoked to watch on Sunday!

(and especially stoked for this hardtail run video!)

|

6/9/2017 5:22 PM

Remember when the schedule was released for this year and there were only 6 races planned? I guess we are somewhat lucky there is a race at all.

I just don't know who is to "blame" for these tracks and the ensuing discontent:

-Is it the host venues for making poor track decisions?
-Is it Red Bull forcing changes for media production purposes?
-Is it the UCI for making hosting a World Cup race prohibitively difficult and expensive?
-Or is it not some big conspiracy and this is just what's happened for no specific reason, and the Croatian track next year will suit all the rider's needs?

One last thought: Remember when Rampage didn't go so great that one year and there were big consultations with the riders (led by Zink I believe) to make changes to the format to appease the riders? Could something like that happen in DH?

|

6/9/2017 5:55 PM

ever notice how the riders who complain its about fitness and wheels now and say it used to be about skill bearly quailfied back then and still bearly qualify now. the top racers are the top racers dont blame the tracks

|

6/9/2017 6:29 PM

sambrody wrote:

As bummed as I am to see the lack of excitement from the riders, and understandably so, this is still my favorite time of year and I'm stoked to watch on Sunday!

(and especially stoked for this hardtail run video!)

Judging by a lot of rider Instagram feeds, once they got riding the course, turns out the course is stupid fast and a lot of fun.

|

6/9/2017 6:36 PM

Doews wrote:

Judging by a lot of rider Instagram feeds, once they got riding the course, turns out the course is stupid fast and a lot of fun.

Yeah, that dirt looked pretty soft, there's probably a good amount of tech hidden underneath. Those off camber turns are going to be fun to watch too.

I think Joe Smith nailed it in the above video though. Haveing a course with line choices really shows the differences in style, skill, and fitness to a much greater extent. It makes it a lot more interesting for everyone, riders and spectators alike.

That said, still stoked to watch and even more stoked to get the sense the riders are starting to feel it!

|

6/9/2017 8:10 PM

slideshow up and attitudes seem pretty positive. interesting perspective from luca shaw in slide 2, too.
http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Faster-and-More-Fun-Than-You-Think-Leogang-Training-Sessions,11087/Slideshow,0/sspomer,2

|

6/10/2017 7:55 AM

qualifying results
http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/RESULTS-Aaron-Gwin-and-Tracey-Hannah-Qualify-Fastest-in-Leogang,1051

we're getting reports that remi thirion had a MAJOR crash off the finish jump in his quali run. he crossed the timing beam, so he has a time. he was conscious but airlifted out. he has feeling in his legs, bu back and shoulder pain. we just hope he's ok. if you hear any updates, please post them here. we'll do the same.

|

6/10/2017 8:03 AM

just got word that remi has a broken collarbone, two fractured vertebrae and hit his head pretty good. he's ok despite the injuries. HEAL UP!!!

|