Accessibility Widget: On | Off

700-day Lead Times on MTB Components?

Create New Tag

5/4/2021 8:48 AM

Welp, here's an interesting tweet from a bike industry vet.
Photo

|

5/4/2021 10:17 AM

I believe it. Given the complexity of the supply chain, labor & shipping restrictions, etc that's very believable. I was listening to a podcast last week, it sounded like some companies are increasing their order sizes in response to the long lead times, which would in turn serve to further increase the lead times.

|

5/4/2021 11:34 AM

sspomer wrote:

Welp, here's an interesting tweet from a bike industry vet.
Photo

This is not an exaggeration...

|

5/4/2021 1:13 PM

Photo
|

5/4/2021 1:57 PM

Time to get good at basic maintenance and buying used.

|

5/4/2021 4:10 PM

You can have my pair of worn out DHRs for 150 bucks.

|

5/4/2021 5:40 PM

Fuck this shit Iā€™m gonna go learn how to surf

|

5/4/2021 6:44 PM

Oof. Well, I guess I picked the wrong time to turn 50 and want a new bike.

|

5/4/2021 8:56 PM

SnusDog wrote:

I was joking about doing retreads last week with old dhf's.... Haha..hahahaha...ha?

|

5/5/2021 5:30 AM

SnusDog wrote:

metadave wrote:

I was joking about doing retreads last week with old dhf's.... Haha..hahahaha...ha?

I had heard from my local shop that Maxxis are fairly well stocked, though I believe its down to how many SKUs they have. You may be able to get a DHR, but it may not be the one you want.
The big hold up as far as I understand is drivetrain components. I know this has been discussed a lot, but I took the warnings last year about potential shortages semi-seriously and ordered new chains, brake pads, and other consumables for the bike to hold me over this year. My friend tried to order a 12 speed chain two months ago and was told he might get it by mid-summer. From what I understand some popular stuff (like GX/X01 and Force/Rival SRAM cassettes, chains, and derailleurs) are on backorder to 2022 already in Canada.
I even placed an order on Rival eTap the morning it was officially released, and I was told I *might* get everything by December. Lol. At least it was an upgrade and not a part of a new build!

|

5/5/2021 7:11 AM

SnusDog wrote:

metadave wrote:

Masjo wrote:

I had heard from my local shop that Maxxis are fairly well stocked, though I believe its down to how many SKUs they have. You ...more

I ordered a Rootdown frame from Chromag in October and started sorting out parts then. In December I started seeing delivery dates pass by so I panic ordered from our distributor's knowing we could sell the extra parts. Out of three drivetrains, three sets of brakes and three wheeset options, I have a donated Microshift 9 speed warranty drivetrain, a pair of borrowed XTR brakes from a friend and one front XT hub.

Frame is expected end of this month so I guess there's still time......

|

5/5/2021 7:41 AM

I've somehow managed to buy two brand new norcos, one in June 2020 and now last week. No clue how but after seeing some of the stock shortages going on, if you are remotely considering buying something and it is in stock, do it!

|

5/5/2021 7:42 AM

SnusDog wrote:

metadave wrote:

Masjo wrote:

I had heard from my local shop that Maxxis are fairly well stocked, though I believe its down to how many SKUs they have. You ...more

I talked to Maxxis a week ago and they don't have much stock. They have DHRs and others getting on the boat in a month but the person at Maxxis was unsure how many of those tires had been allocated to OEM partners... The word was buy tires for your summer supply now.

|

5/5/2021 8:04 AM

MPH24 wrote:

I talked to Maxxis a week ago and they don't have much stock. They have DHRs and others getting on the boat in a month but the ...more

That is rough. At least DHRs are a good tire for many?
I should have specified that my knowledge of tire inventory was based on a Canadian distributor's stockpile since that is where my LBS is.
The moral of the story is: buying today for next year is better than buying tomorrow for 2023 šŸ˜

|

5/5/2021 2:11 PM

nskerb wrote:

I've somehow managed to buy two brand new norcos, one in June 2020 and now last week. No clue how but after seeing some of the ...more

Don't do that ! Don't feed my need to buy things for the thrill of it!

|

5/5/2021 2:55 PM

What if some of this is fake hysteria to drive sales, feed the beast, keep the fire on, etc etc etc? Not saying supply/demand issues are not real, but, I feel like one persons 250 lead time becomes 300, then 400, etc....just in rumor mill.
Also, the forecasting/demand planning people in manufacturing are using the last 12 months as the barometer when we have to expect demand to cool down sooner than later?

|