Accessibility Widget: On | Off

PB using RAW?

Create New Tag

10/28/2020 9:03 PM

WTF is up with that? At the very least it seems like a lame move. Vital has been using RAW for videos for YEARS. I think the first time I saw it was on Littermag. While I appreciate the huge amount of intimate and real coverage we have of every race these days, it is a little confusing for both sites to use the same terminology. I find it unnecessary and annoying because now I cant just Google Lousa World Cup RAW and get the video I am looking for. Am I overreacting being super annoyed by this? Or is it truly a lousy move on the other guys?

|

10/28/2020 9:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/28/2020 9:11 PM

I've been annoyed for years by the RAW 100 thing with freeriders and was further annoyed after seeing Pinkbike take the RAW name this evening. I do get annoyed by most things though, so best to wait on others' replies.

The OG: https://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Schladming-RAW-with-Adam-Brayton,22922/joebo,1905

|

10/29/2020 8:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/29/2020 8:18 AM

For me I dont care what they call it as long as I get more world cup DH content. But also raw just means a video with no music or fancy editing, its not something you can trademark. That term has been used for action sports videos for years, snowboarding, skateboarding, moto, surfing you name it! Its like saying I hop sells these things called pancakes they are flat dough circles, wait dennys has them too!?! and they also call them pancakes?!?! Come up with your own name Dennys, IHOP has called them pancakes for years!

|

10/29/2020 8:27 AM

imitation is a form of flattering

|

10/29/2020 10:12 AM

rockchomper wrote:

For me I dont care what they call it as long as I get more world cup DH content. But also raw just means a video with no music or fancy editing, its not something you can trademark. That term has been used for action sports videos for years, snowboarding, skateboarding, moto, surfing you name it! Its like saying I hop sells these things called pancakes they are flat dough circles, wait dennys has them too!?! and they also call them pancakes?!?! Come up with your own name Dennys, IHOP has called them pancakes for years!

Using the word "raw" is fine as long as it's actually free of music, slow motion, and other alterations. I am annoyed by the use of "RAW" all capitalized. They could have named it something else, but probably want to take advantage of the extra views and SEO it will bring them. Yes, it's not trademarked or anything legally theirs, but still lame to go with the full capitalization like VitalMTB/Joe Bowman started a brand for in the mountain bike world back in 2013.

|

10/29/2020 10:31 AM

I'm not angry about the use of "raw" -- that's a term that has been used by many in mountain biking and other activities that showcase themselves through video.

What I am disappointed in is the quality of Pinkbike's footage that they use for their raw videos. Their angles are significantly worse, the panning and following is really lacking, and the colors and contrast are dead in comparison to the Vital RAW videos. I would be so excited to have more footage and more coverage of the races if it was on par with the quality that Vital produces, but PB just ain't there.

So shout out to Vital's filmers -- the camerawork is excellent and the RAW World Cup videos are my favorite racing coverage out.

|

10/29/2020 10:50 AM

Long live Vital RAW

|

10/29/2020 10:52 AM

I'd be interested to hear what @sspomer has to say about this topic?

|

10/29/2020 11:13 AM

I think we need a Vital v. Pinkbike fight to the death. Spomer v. Brian Park in an octagon with one ball peen hammer at the center of the ring. He who is left standing is the undisputed winner.

|

10/29/2020 11:04 PM

Vital gets "A" practice and Pb gets "B" practice. smile

|

10/30/2020 12:03 AM

Mtbforlife4 wrote:

I think we need a Vital v. Pinkbike fight to the death. Spomer v. Brian Park in an octagon with one ball peen hammer at the center of the ring. He who is left standing is the undisputed winner.

No need. Vital is ahead on all fronts. Except embargos.

I check vital and the hub every day, and PB also. I am pretty sure they subscribes to the rumors threads here.

|

10/30/2020 2:40 AM

TomJones wrote:

WTF is up with that? At the very least it seems like a lame move. Vital has been using RAW for videos for YEARS. I think the first time I saw it was on Littermag. While I appreciate the huge amount of intimate and real coverage we have of every race these days, it is a little confusing for both sites to use the same terminology. I find it unnecessary and annoying because now I cant just Google Lousa World Cup RAW and get the video I am looking for. Am I overreacting being super annoyed by this? Or is it truly a lousy move on the other guys?

You are over reacting. RAW is a video without editing end of story. Vital RAW is awesome and still better than pinkbike's or Redbull's Raw footage.

|

10/30/2020 6:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2020 9:04 AM

1. you all have way too much time on your hands
B. sven was the one getting all hyped up on insta (i thought it was hilarious)
III. octagon fight sponsored by polgyon could be rad. i've never been in a fight before.
four - i wrote this in 2015 as an april fools article but never published it b/c it was petty and lame. i think it was in response to red bull using "RAW" in their videos (pre RAW100 iirc). i don't remember. i used to care about things like this. now, why bother when Greg Minnaar is still winning races?
--------------------------------
Vital MTB Awarded Trademark to the RAW Video format and Title by California Court

Vital Media Network is excited to announce that they have won a long legal battle over the RAW video format used in the sport of mountain biking. Orange County Judge, Ignacio P. Freely, concluded after a 6-month trial that there was enough online evidence to prove that Vital MTB should be the owner of the term RAW when a mountain bike video is titled and formatted.

gordo Fonseca reported, “we’re excited to have this finally laid to rest. We didn’t invent the idea of ambient-sound mountain bike videos and we’re not seeking credit for that. Voreis and Freeride Entertainment shut that shit down in New World Disorder years ago. We’re just tired of seeing the RAW term de-valued by other mountain bike websites.

“Back in 2013 at Mont Sainte Anne, we needed video clips for our World Cup slideshows. Joe Bowman sent some hand-held, #pansnzooms clips along and the noise of the bikes smashing rocks reminded us of old Alex Rankin videos, so we launched the video by itself, without music or any consideration for the flow of the edit. It was RAW. At Hafjell the next month, we decided to make these face-melting pieces of filming a regular feature and the Vital RAW franchise was born. #Pansnzooms, bikes in pain. We’ve made 46 Vital RAW vids since.

“Those big, corporate sites saw how successful our RAW vids were and realized there were no music rights to worry about, so they tried to rip off the formula. All they had to do was call it “unplugged” or something, but they called it RAW. I thought it was really weird they used the same franchise term in our tiny MTB community.

“I like to use the Metallica analogy. Any Metallica is rad, just like any MTB video is rad. But there’s dirty, rowdy, young Metallica and there’s modern, old-guy, refined, symphony Metallica. Vital RAW is dirty, young Metallica…it makes you want to bang your head, huck your bike off cliffs and get bloody from eating shit trying lines you shouldn’t try. The rip-off RAW videos are like modern Metallica…over-produced, something you’d let your mom enjoy and get you amped up for a cruise down Crank It Up.

Thankfully this ruling means Vital MTB will receive $5000 for every mountain bike web edit released with RAW title.
------------------
fwiw, we started the rapid fire thing in 2012 (same as raw) but the machine gun intro was too much and we nuked it.
https://www.vitalmtb.com/rapidfire

|