Name Atherton Bikes first DH Sled

Create New Tag

1/25/2019 11:58 AM

Catchier than Boaty McBoatface and it sounds delicious

Atherton’s World Cup bike should be called the ATHERTON SUNDAE

|

1/25/2019 7:47 PM

the Bummer

|

1/25/2019 8:06 PM

jstuhlman wrote:

the Bummer

New poll - Who’s bum is nicer... Dan or Gee?

|

1/25/2019 8:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/25/2019 9:15 PM

It should certainly be something unifying, signifying the family unit. the wolf pack, the clan. Is there an awesome Welsh word for "Family of Death storming down from the hill country?" There must be. I've never read the book, sorry Mom, but the Beowulf would be cool.

|

1/25/2019 11:28 PM

I think it would be great if the Atherton bike line used Welsh mythology to name their bikes. Some of the pronunciation and spelling may need to be Anglicized for easier marketing but I think this branding concept can easily synergize with the other Atherton projects, like Dyfi Bike Park.

The Mabinogion - a set of medieval Welsh tales, is a good place to start.

But since this DH bike is the first release, the name has to be familiar, sort of mysterious, and very accessible in terms of recall.

So I propose to name this DH bike the Atherton Druid.

Druids play a prominent role in British history and folklore. The Druid name evokes mysticism, mystery, power, and prophecy. These adjectives can easily be alluded to on paint schemes and other visual cues on the bike and the future kit that Atherton Racing will wear.


I wonder if I can get swag for this free marketing proposal?

Really stoked that they're doing their own brand. I really hope we can get it here in the Far East for a good price.

|

1/25/2019 11:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/25/2019 11:29 PM

Build kits for the Atherton Sundaes
Low end spec... Vanilla Sundae
Mid Spec... Strawberry Sundae
Top Spec... Hot Fudge Sundae w/nuts

Freeride/park spec... banana split

|

1/26/2019 3:22 AM

Surely it should be called The Sheep

|

1/26/2019 6:09 AM

The collarbone

|

1/26/2019 7:33 AM

name it after Hardline?

Or call it the bloodline?

|

1/26/2019 1:49 PM

How about Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch ?

It’s a town in wales for anyone doesn’t think it’s a real name.

|

1/26/2019 2:45 PM

Jakers wrote:

Catchier than Boaty McBoatface and it sounds delicious

You do realize that there is more going on in the new design than in the original Sunday? Double instead of single link down below right?

|

1/26/2019 5:30 PM

They should name it Vallnord for the WC weekend where they all won races.

|

1/26/2019 8:02 PM

Big Bird wrote:

You do realize that there is more going on in the new design than in the original Sunday? Double instead of single link down below right?

That’s like knolly 4x4 vs Horst link.

Sundae vs Sunday... potato potato... dw link dw link

|

1/27/2019 11:14 PM

Why all the requirements for welsh names? The Athertons are English, they just moved to Wales for the mountains to ride in. They’re like the poshest English speaking riders out there other than Bernard Kerr!

|

1/29/2019 12:08 AM

The druid is a good choice tho I can't see the Tolkien-esque tag washing with the Atherton's focus on absolute performance and cutting edge technology.

Druid-Tron 3000 fills the brief perfectly.

|

1/29/2019 12:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2019 12:13 AM

Bloodline is a brilliant suggestion kidding aside. Props to that suggestion.

|

1/29/2019 5:40 AM

Bikey Mcbikeface

|

1/29/2019 6:42 AM

Jackass123456789 wrote:

Bikey Mcbikeface

_____ Mc___Face always wins

|

1/29/2019 6:44 AM

Vallnord, or something along those lines.

Vallnord 2008 is the round where all 3 won their respective events. While they were already well known at the time, I think that event really solidified them into history as a family rather than independently.

|

1/29/2019 6:44 AM

As long as the e-bike is called the "E-poxy" I dont give two shits what they call the rest of them.

|

1/29/2019 6:56 AM

coralcorn wrote:

Vallnord, or something along those lines.

Vallnord 2008 is the round where all 3 won their respective events. While they were already well known at the time, I think that event really solidified them into history as a family rather than independently.

Good reference point!

-Trident (Aquaman nod)
-Dalton (re: four brothers in Lucky Luke OK so they are 4 but add Dan Brown and now you have 4 Athertons...but also there is no sister in the Daltons...oh well I still like the name)
-Secretariat (most famous winner of the Triple Crown)
-Threesome (uuhhh slightly inappropriate but yeah)

|

1/29/2019 7:05 AM

The Vulcan................

|

Callous Hands an Bloody Shins since 1979

1/29/2019 7:06 AM

coralcorn wrote:

Vallnord, or something along those lines.

Vallnord 2008 is the round where all 3 won their respective events. While they were already well known at the time, I think that event really solidified them into history as a family rather than independently.

iceman2058 wrote:

Good reference point!

-Trident (Aquaman nod)
-Dalton (re: four brothers in Lucky Luke OK so they are 4 but add Dan Brown and now you have 4 Athertons...but also there is no sister in the Daltons...oh well I still like the name)
-Secretariat (most famous winner of the Triple Crown)
-Threesome (uuhhh slightly inappropriate but yeah)

Carbon Horse

|

1/29/2019 7:07 AM

peecee wrote:

How about Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch ?

It’s a town in wales for anyone doesn’t think it’s a real name.

They can definitely make a nice pattern over the whole downtube with that !

|

1/29/2019 7:10 AM

obskwr wrote:

name it after Hardline?

Or call it the bloodline?

if it's not called the Bloodline, i won't know what to think. to quote iceman in a skype chat we're having, "it works on so many levels."

|

1/29/2019 7:22 AM

if they were on Evil they could have called Gee's bike "The Frowning"

|

1/29/2019 7:28 AM

It could be the "HP" not because high pivot but because it's printed. ZING.

|

1/29/2019 8:21 AM

Big Bird wrote:

It should certainly be something unifying, signifying the family unit. the wolf pack, the clan. Is there an awesome Welsh word for "Family of Death storming down from the hill country?" There must be. I've never read the book, sorry Mom, but the Beowulf would be cool.

The Clan!!!! YES!

|

"Flow like water.."

1/29/2019 8:44 AM

iceman2058 wrote:

It could be the "HP" not because high pivot but because it's printed. ZING.

launch video ideas include

|

1/29/2019 8:55 AM

Jackass123456789 wrote:

Bikey Mcbikeface

thank you for this

|