Purgatory Pro GRT Race CANCELED

Create New Tag

8/2/2018 9:09 PM

Located close to Durango, Colorado, this event was set to be a great one with the return of one of the rowdiest downhill courses the US has ever seen. Unfortunately the event has been canceled:

Purgatory Resort announced today the cancelation of the Grand Prix | Pro GRT presented by Troy Lee Designs. The inaugural event was scheduled for August 30-September 2, 2018. Purgatory Mountain Bike Director Hogan Koesis said that the 416 Fire (which started 10 miles north of Durango on June 1, 2018 and burned over 50,000 acres) played a direct role in the race’s cancelation by delaying race course trail construction. Koesis said that all registered participants will receive a full refund and he is hopeful to bring this race series back to Purgatory in the future.

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

8/3/2018 10:05 AM

bummed...such rad terrain and dirt there.

circa 2001

|

8/3/2018 10:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2018 10:39 AM

Who was that guy on Intense blocking GM (is that him?) during dual race? So lame...

also lol at dual "running" at the end of the video :D

|

8/3/2018 11:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2018 11:21 AM

Edited for clarity:
Durango hasn't been dealt the best cards this year.

Now this is def a bummer, and I understand it. The fire has played a major part in our summer, stopping operations at Purg for a while, which really must have delayed a ton of the work they wanted to do. Now, we are dealing with huge mudslides.

|

8/3/2018 11:16 AM

jasbushey wrote:

Edited for clarity:
Durango hasn't been dealt the best cards this year.

Now this is def a bummer, and I understand it. The fire has played a major part in our summer, stopping operations at Purg for a while, which really must have delayed a ton of the work they wanted to do. Now, we are dealing with huge mudslides.

I think you're referring to the Scott Enduro Cup round that was also cancelled.

I guess both races are off now.

|

MRP - Brand Manager
Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

8/3/2018 11:19 AM

Kusa wrote:

Who was that guy on Intense blocking GM (is that him?) during dual race? So lame...

also lol at dual "running" at the end of the video :D

i can't remember who was on the intense (stik? are you there?). but it was sean mccarroll in that heat, not greg. sean was on global then too.

yeah, that course was crazy w/ the tight lines and take-outs

|

8/3/2018 11:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2018 11:23 AM

NoahColorado wrote:

I think you're referring to the Scott Enduro Cup round that was also cancelled.

I guess both races are off now.

Oh, yeah you're right, my bad.

Scott Enduro and Pro GRT cancelled. Scott is only offering an 80% refund.

I really hope Purg can make the progress they wanted. Bringing in Hogan is the right move, and I really hope to see the downhill scene there improve. The terrain yields itself to great riding there and it's what Durango needs most. We have a lot of singletrack, which is awesome, but seeing some dedicated gravity is what we all are hoping for.

Here is hoping Purg can push forward in these tough times. I know it was a really tough winter and a really tough summer.

|

8/3/2018 12:29 PM

Bummed to hear this. Both races have huge potential. We have had a crappy hand dealt to us in the last 8 months here in Durango and Silverton. What we need is some slow, steady rain and a good winter β€˜18-19 to bring it back.

I just rode some of the great terrain off Coal Bank Pass today. It’s all riding really good, some of the classic older overgrown and underused trails have been much improved with local effort spearheaded by mountain bikers with fun descending in mind, yielding some phenomenal high country enduro style terrain that is worth the trip. Even if the race is off you can still have a killer weekend of riding down here!

|

8/3/2018 1:55 PM

sspomer wrote:

bummed...such rad terrain and dirt there.

circa 2001

Minnaar looked like a circus bear on a tiny bike during that ds race bikes have changed a little.....

|

8/3/2018 5:24 PM

Send it back to Port Angeles!!

|

8/3/2018 9:26 PM

I bought a bike after not owning one for several years specifically for this race, I new this was coming but I'm bummed. The hill at Purgatory has so much potential and the WC course is the reason I moved to Durango, hopefully they can get a trail to show off the terrain before the end of the summer. I'll be even more bummed if they don't get on the Pro GRT schedule next year. I'm majorly bummed.

|

8/3/2018 11:38 PM

I just vacationed not far from there in July. Made a day trip to do some riding in purgatory but the fire was close and the hot shot fire team was on the mountain all day. Most of the trails were closed as well but it was still a blast and that mountain has so much potential to become a even better mountain bike destination.

|

8/4/2018 12:03 AM

On a good note, Purg did just open a dual slalom course at the base! Unofficial Vital slalom race instead??

Like Fox said, still well worth a trip when you mix in some high country rides.

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

8/4/2018 8:24 AM

jasbushey wrote:

Edited for clarity:
Durango hasn't been dealt the best cards this year.

Now this is def a bummer, and I understand it. The fire has played a major part in our summer, stopping operations at Purg for a while, which really must have delayed a ton of the work they wanted to do. Now, we are dealing with huge mudslides.

NoahColorado wrote:

I think you're referring to the Scott Enduro Cup round that was also cancelled.

I guess both races are off now.

jasbushey wrote:

Oh, yeah you're right, my bad.

Scott Enduro and Pro GRT cancelled. Scott is only offering an 80% refund.

I really hope Purg can make the progress they wanted. Bringing in Hogan is the right move, and I really hope to see the downhill scene there improve. The terrain yields itself to great riding there and it's what Durango needs most. We have a lot of singletrack, which is awesome, but seeing some dedicated gravity is what we all are hoping for.

Here is hoping Purg can push forward in these tough times. I know it was a really tough winter and a really tough summer.

Scott enduro is offering an option to donate your race entires to Trails2000.

Please take your 80% refund and donate it to the other trail builders in the community.

http://4cornersfreeride.org

|

8/5/2018 8:43 AM

80%?

|

8/7/2018 2:33 PM

For those looking to still race at Purgatory, the Rocky Mountain Race Series will be hosting dual slalom, downhill, short track, and cross-country races on August 17-19!

Unfortunately the fire impacted this race as well, and the downhill race will now be a combined time on the existing Diggler and Divinity trails. Bring your enduro rig.

Updates and details about those races can be found here:

http://www.chocolatebunnyproductions.com/events/rocky-mountain-race-series/purgatory
https://www.facebook.com/raceraceraceraceracerace/

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.