EWS Doping Thread Disappearance

Pedal4life
11/13/2018 7:30am
The only thing that always holds true in these types of things is follow the money
sspomer
11/13/2018 8:57am
@bryanregnier pretty vocal about things right now

11/13/2018 9:40am
I'm only surprised that people are bringing up pot. This rumor mill would not have even started on Twitter if it was about people getting busted for pot use by the EWS/UCI. I think we all know this is much bigger than a couple guys smoking some weed and racing bicycles.
I'm interested in the who, not if riders have been doping. To what extent they have been doping, why some previously busted riders are allowed to still race EWS, and what will the outcome for the current crop of dopers (cheaters) be.
11/13/2018 10:43am
Speaking of Dope and "doping", remember when Gary Houseman won the Grouse world cup in 2003 and then was stripped? (or that Mik Pascal rode to...
Speaking of Dope and "doping", remember when Gary Houseman won the Grouse world cup in 2003 and then was stripped?

(or that Mik Pascal rode to 6th in the absolute mud bath when none of the top riders could come close to Houseman's time)
That's the only UCI WC I've been able to attend (thus far). That was when I first met Shaums March (who would have a really bad wreck in finals IIRC). John Kirkaldie let me bounce on his Turner DHR. I was wearing shorts/t-shirt when a huge, ominous cloud formed in the valley and we watched as it made a B-line for us. Some of the heaviest rain I've ever been caught in. Pascal's run was insane, flat pedals, his pace through the open rock garden up top was dry speed, clearly not letting the conditions affect him. No one was expecting Houseman to win, but as US fans we were stoked! Most of the racers came by the que for the tram and personally thanked the fans for sticking out the weather. All in all a great experience, planning a trip to MSA at some point in the future.
11/13/2018 11:37am
That's the only UCI WC I've been able to attend (thus far). That was when I first met Shaums March (who would have a really bad...
That's the only UCI WC I've been able to attend (thus far). That was when I first met Shaums March (who would have a really bad wreck in finals IIRC). John Kirkaldie let me bounce on his Turner DHR. I was wearing shorts/t-shirt when a huge, ominous cloud formed in the valley and we watched as it made a B-line for us. Some of the heaviest rain I've ever been caught in. Pascal's run was insane, flat pedals, his pace through the open rock garden up top was dry speed, clearly not letting the conditions affect him. No one was expecting Houseman to win, but as US fans we were stoked! Most of the racers came by the que for the tram and personally thanked the fans for sticking out the weather. All in all a great experience, planning a trip to MSA at some point in the future.
That;s sick you were there! i just remember reading about it and seeing some footage but the magazines just going nuts about Pascal's run.
11/13/2018 12:57pm
The wording in the rule book sounds grand and threatening, but when previous cheaters have been allowed back in, and their name was kept quiet, then that says a lot... will we find out who it is or will it be swept under the carpet again?
11/13/2018 1:20pm
The wording in the rule book sounds grand and threatening, but when previous cheaters have been allowed back in, and their name was kept quiet, then...
The wording in the rule book sounds grand and threatening, but when previous cheaters have been allowed back in, and their name was kept quiet, then that says a lot... will we find out who it is or will it be swept under the carpet again?
What’s the backstory on the testing? I thought that EWS was planning to be UCI sanctioned (and subject to WADA rules) next year, not this year. Did this testing catch racers off-guard? I’m fairly certain that it will be under UCI sanction next year. If so, anyone that tests positive won’t be racing for a while.
sspomer
11/13/2018 1:54pm
What’s the backstory on the testing? I thought that EWS was planning to be UCI sanctioned (and subject to WADA rules) next year, not this year...
What’s the backstory on the testing? I thought that EWS was planning to be UCI sanctioned (and subject to WADA rules) next year, not this year. Did this testing catch racers off-guard? I’m fairly certain that it will be under UCI sanction next year. If so, anyone that tests positive won’t be racing for a while.
i'm not 100% positive, but my understanding is that any race sanctioned by the french cycling governing body has testing. hence all the french references above w/ chris ball's response.
TamiJean
11/13/2018 3:28pm
carll wrote:
So this redacted article must be about Karim Amour, yeah? https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/french-enduro-rider-tests-positive-for-a-banned-substance.html Low-stakes-so-no-doping argument doesn't stack up considering the event he was busted in. And they found...
So this redacted article must be about Karim Amour, yeah?

https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/french-enduro-rider-tests-positive-fo…

Low-stakes-so-no-doping argument doesn't stack up considering the event he was busted in. And they found a diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide) which is used to mask other agents so it was more serious than some cold/flu medication mix up. Will be interesting to see what comes out this time. Cheaters gon' cheat...
This article was back from 2013?
11/13/2018 7:19pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 7:19pm
carll wrote:
So this redacted article must be about Karim Amour, yeah? https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/french-enduro-rider-tests-positive-for-a-banned-substance.html Low-stakes-so-no-doping argument doesn't stack up considering the event he was busted in. And they found...
So this redacted article must be about Karim Amour, yeah?

https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/french-enduro-rider-tests-positive-fo…

Low-stakes-so-no-doping argument doesn't stack up considering the event he was busted in. And they found a diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide) which is used to mask other agents so it was more serious than some cold/flu medication mix up. Will be interesting to see what comes out this time. Cheaters gon' cheat...
TamiJean wrote:
This article was back from 2013?
But wait, I thought EWS doesnt allow ANY cheaters?
#sarcasm
11/13/2018 7:31pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 7:57pm
What's Bryan Regnier's post decode into english?
Regnier's screenshot was taken from the editorial article on Enduro Tribe. He has circled the amount of time that it might take for results to be public (more than a year).

"By knowing this investigation process and referring to it, Chris Ball rejects the outcome of this case for a long time. On average, the results made public by the AFLD and the competent federations take more than a year to be made public. By then, everything would be pure speculation and rumors"

http://www.endurotribe.com/2018/11/dopage-ews-selon-chris-ball-une-enquete-de-lafld-est-en-cours/

11/14/2018 1:41am
Almost want to tell the names I know but would it be useful to do this....? Not sure...
Primoz
11/14/2018 1:48am
No it wouldn't be. You can damage careers by sharing unofficial info of this kind. You better be sure as hell when sharing unconfirmed doping info, regardless if it's true or not.
11/14/2018 2:03am
Localdudes wrote:
Almost want to tell the names I know but would it be useful to do this....? Not sure...
Not unless you want to get sued! Anyone with their ear to ground knows who the rumours are circling around. It will say a lot about the ews if they call them out. Either it runs an open and clean series that continues to grow or cover it up and become dh’s and xc’s poor and broken relation. EWS it’s over to you!
Primoz
11/14/2018 2:13am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2018 2:14am
Forked tongue's post makes it seem it's one of the big boys towards the sharpest end of the field...
11/14/2018 2:17am
Primoz wrote:
No it wouldn't be. You can damage careers by sharing unofficial info of this kind. You better be sure as hell when sharing unconfirmed doping info...
No it wouldn't be. You can damage careers by sharing unofficial info of this kind. You better be sure as hell when sharing unconfirmed doping info, regardless if it's true or not.
That's why I won't do this. I'm not that kind of person Wink
jimmypop
11/14/2018 3:51am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2018 3:52am
Sounds like the full A/B process is at play, and when it's prolonged an appeal is usually involved.

FreeForAll
11/14/2018 5:52am
Primoz wrote:
Forked tongue's post makes it seem it's one of the big boys towards the sharpest end of the field...
....or girls.....
mp
11/14/2018 7:41am
Bike racing and doping are like hand and glove. Why do people seem surprised all of a sudden? Because someone said something about enduro being different?
Primoz
11/14/2018 7:43am
Primoz wrote:
FreeForAll wrote:
....or girls.....
Ha, of course, didn't think about that for some reason...
jimmypop
11/14/2018 11:00am
there is a thing called due process... just sayin...
Due process is an artifact of law, not of regulations one voluntarily submits to in order to compete in a particular sanctioning body's races.
11/14/2018 11:38am
there is a thing called due process... just sayin...
jimmypop wrote:
Due process is an artifact of law, not of regulations one voluntarily submits to in order to compete in a particular sanctioning body's races.
yeah, that is true - due process within the regulations is a completely different beast than due process according to law. Then again slander - while defined by law - is not limited by said regulations, nor is common curtesy/decency Wink

That being said, due process and anti-doping can be a bit of an oxymoron - to put it mildly - and can be more about politics than prohibitive measures that actually makes sense and creates a level playing field. #johaug
KB
11/14/2018 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2018 1:18pm
Its surprising to see everyone jumping to the conclusion that this is blatant cheating going on like these guys have been caught with HGH or something. People can trigger positive tests from things as simple as an asthma inhaler, a supplement they've taken and over the counter medication. James Stewart was banned from motocross because he didn't have paper work filed for Adderall, Cade Clason banned for the same thing but had done all the paper work which seemed to have been lost in the system somewhere and Broc Tickle banned for some random substance that doesn't even make sense to take for SX/MX.

Obviously these guys need to be diligent when it comes to what they're taking but its easy to miss something.
Primoz
11/14/2018 1:06pm
Those cases could also have been just cover up stories Tongue

I mean there was a case of a guy getting caught doping on the road a few years ago and he bowed out by saying he got testicular cancer. At least that's how the story went.
11/14/2018 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2018 7:17am
Localdudes wrote:
May I give you some reasons why not to do this, not the least of which is that you created an account today just to make this post. Perhaps trying to keep some anonymity?

The testing took place at the French EWS and riders tested were the podium and a few randoms. Myself and Sven posted photos of the riders waiting for testing in race recaps to respective editorial outlets so it's pretty easy to see who all the potential players are here. So of course it would be big names regardless of who it is (the rumors are multiple riders)... It's nit rocket science to know the podium riders get tested so it's always going go to be folks at the sharp end.

However, and it's a BIG however. In theory no one other than the French agency, possibly the EWS (though they say not), and the riders involved would know the details so all else is speculation at this point. Somehow word got out and these rumors have spread like wildfire all over the place a few months back. Do they know the names or are they just making assumptions and pointing fingers at who they want it to be rather than who it actually is? The truth is almost no one knows, especially not all the different people everyone is hearing the rumors from. At this point I've been told three different things all by people who claim they heard it from someone else, who of course heard it from someone else all the way back to someone with close ties to the event in France.

This isn't high school, and it's a bit disappointing a few individuals have been fueling the rumor mill as if it were such. If people cheat then by all means F*k 'em, but until there is official word you would be jeopardizing riders reputations, contracts, livelihood just so you could have some taking point on the internet.

This is not a subject to run cavalier with "facts"

Don't do it.

11/14/2018 2:47pm
Contracts season is just finishing up for the riders making salaries. Most have probably already signed, but for those who haven't, unsubstantiated rumors could be devastating.
11/14/2018 2:53pm
Localdudes wrote:
May I give you some reasons why not to do this, not the least of which is that you created an account today just to make...
May I give you some reasons why not to do this, not the least of which is that you created an account today just to make this post. Perhaps trying to keep some anonymity?

The testing took place at the French EWS and riders tested were the podium and a few randoms. Myself and Sven posted photos of the riders waiting for testing in race recaps to respective editorial outlets so it's pretty easy to see who all the potential players are here. So of course it would be big names regardless of who it is (the rumors are multiple riders)... It's nit rocket science to know the podium riders get tested so it's always going go to be folks at the sharp end.

However, and it's a BIG however. In theory no one other than the French agency, possibly the EWS (though they say not), and the riders involved would know the details so all else is speculation at this point. Somehow word got out and these rumors have spread like wildfire all over the place a few months back. Do they know the names or are they just making assumptions and pointing fingers at who they want it to be rather than who it actually is? The truth is almost no one knows, especially not all the different people everyone is hearing the rumors from. At this point I've been told three different things all by people who claim they heard it from someone else, who of course heard it from someone else all the way back to someone with close ties to the event in France.

This isn't high school, and it's a bit disappointing a few individuals have been fueling the rumor mill as if it were such. If people cheat then by all means F*k 'em, but until there is official word you would be jeopardizing riders reputations, contracts, livelihood just so you could have some taking point on the internet.

This is not a subject to run cavalier with "facts"

Don't do it.

As a big fan of your work it’s an honor to have a constructive comment like this from you.

Like I said before, I won’t because I care. I love this sport and I work in it too. When I said «almost want » didn’t mean I will. And I absolutely don’t want for all the reasons you mentionned.

And to be clear, nope it’s not account to stay anonyme. We made the account and directly saw this subject.
But yes I can assume that it looks like it.

I won't do it...

Cheers

Post a reply to: EWS Doping Thread Disappearance

The Latest