All Things Fort William World Cup 2017

sideshow
Edited Date/Time 6/2/2017 11:43am
It's a little early, but never too late to post about the next World Cup.
Ben Cathro takes us on a wee tour of the track which has been tidied up and revised for this weekend's BDS race and the June World Cup.
https://youtu.be/FatmaIbp1-4
|
sspomer
5/9/2017 7:40am
SO. ROUGH! interesting to hear about new section for world cup and w/o beating the extremely dead horse, i can't wait to see how splits work out between "alternative" wheel sizes, especially on the motorway. #cathrovsclaudioin2017
sideshow
5/9/2017 8:38am
I'm stoked to see the new section. Looks like that might be a sweet gap after the deer gate to the new!
Also, looking back at RAW from Lourdes, specifically the gully section, the Syndicate dudes look so composed in the chatter after the huck...I think that's a good tell of how much damping the 29 provides. Good to see some general work being done to the track on a whole.

Cathro and Claudio ought to be the course preview this year!
5/9/2017 12:30pm
sideshow wrote:
I'm stoked to see the new section. Looks like that might be a sweet gap after the deer gate to the new! Also, looking back at...
I'm stoked to see the new section. Looks like that might be a sweet gap after the deer gate to the new!
Also, looking back at RAW from Lourdes, specifically the gully section, the Syndicate dudes look so composed in the chatter after the huck...I think that's a good tell of how much damping the 29 provides. Good to see some general work being done to the track on a whole.

Cathro and Claudio ought to be the course preview this year!
Duder - from someone who has been there, is this track as boring as it looks? I know it's mega rough in spots, but there just appear to be so many boring 1-meter wide kitty litter sections or fire road-type sections that it's hard to see how this track has so much wow in and of itself (meaning history aside). Is this just a case of Brits loving their local World Cup track or am I missing something here?
sideshow
5/9/2017 12:50pm
Duder - from someone who has been there, is this track as boring as it looks? I know it's mega rough in spots, but there just...
Duder - from someone who has been there, is this track as boring as it looks? I know it's mega rough in spots, but there just appear to be so many boring 1-meter wide kitty litter sections or fire road-type sections that it's hard to see how this track has so much wow in and of itself (meaning history aside). Is this just a case of Brits loving their local World Cup track or am I missing something here?
I will just say, the speeds at which this track is raced make it a lot more wild than one might judge.
With that is mind, it isn't exactly Val di Sole. The breakfast at the Ft Bill cafe is one of the better meals going on the circuit though, and I appreciate that a lot.
5/9/2017 1:04pm
sideshow wrote:
I will just say, the speeds at which this track is raced make it a lot more wild than one might judge. With that is mind...
I will just say, the speeds at which this track is raced make it a lot more wild than one might judge.
With that is mind, it isn't exactly Val di Sole. The breakfast at the Ft Bill cafe is one of the better meals going on the circuit though, and I appreciate that a lot.
The food. I knew that would get you.
luiz1
5/9/2017 5:07pm
Same Sh$t since 2002.

WC needs new tracks and new venues.

Tired of this.

peecee
5/10/2017 2:02am
luiz1 wrote:
Same Sh$t since 2002.

Tired of this.

I miss the good old days more round all over the world! Here's 1998/1999/2000/2001

luiz1
5/10/2017 10:57am
luiz1 wrote:
Same Sh$t since 2002.

Tired of this.

peecee wrote:
I miss the good old days more round all over the world! Here's 1998/1999/2000/2001 [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/05/10/5135/s1200_Wolrd_Cups.jpg[/img]
I miss the good old days more round all over the world! Here's 1998/1999/2000/2001

It is what i'm talking about.

The golden era of downhill

When NORBA was as important as WC.

Two rounds in USA and Canada, one round in Japan

Shaun Palmer, Eric Carter, Brian Lopes, Mike King, Peaty, etc
jeff.brines
5/10/2017 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2017 1:59pm
Off topic but...

#glorydayzzzz

steve45
5/10/2017 2:13pm
Anyone making the pilgrimage? I'm up there Saturday and Sunday as usual, best atmosphere on the world cup by far, cant wait, had my leave booked since they went firm with dates last year, tickets arrived the other week, bring it on!!!
peecee
5/10/2017 6:02pm
luiz1 wrote:
It is what i'm talking about. The golden era of downhill When NORBA was as important as WC. Two rounds in USA and Canada, one round...
It is what i'm talking about.

The golden era of downhill

When NORBA was as important as WC.

Two rounds in USA and Canada, one round in Japan

Shaun Palmer, Eric Carter, Brian Lopes, Mike King, Peaty, etc
Hit the nail on the head, how good was NORBA all the pro's hanging in the states and entering all the races. No need for huge gaps between races then nothing for a month or so.

Why isn't anyone forming a circuit away from the UCI short Redbull have the money even thou they can't get live streaming correct.

There should be 10-12 tracks a year and all the riders should vote for the 7-8 tracks they wanna ride and it gets organised.

Im pretty sure Leogang and a few other flat tracks wouldn't get voted in.
5/10/2017 11:51pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2017 11:53pm
Before this turns into a "Why don't we have Champery anymore?!" rant....

It's because Champery etc don't make enough money from the process to warrant bidding for a World Cup. That's right, resorts bid for a World Cup nd pay the UCI lots of money.

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/News/17/41/03/UCI-MTB-World-Cup-EN-l…

There is a hell of alot of external costs aswell as the bidding fee. Like providing a big dinner for all the UCI delegates and putting them up in hotels, course tape, finish and start line infastructure, providing an area for the pits etc etc.

Bearing in mind most of the crowds that come to an event are in and out over the weekend, and isolated to the course.

Now it's up to the resort to market themselves to bring tourism post World Cups, to use it as a week long advert on every MTB publication going to promote themselves.

Bottom line is, it takes highly motivated individuals to work year round getting purse strings pulled and organising this stuff, which, many resorts, like Champery for instance, can't justify.

So, if you want World Cups in different places, get those places motivated to do it. Otherwise it's Leogang all the way...

UCI / ORGANISERS
SHARE OF
RESPONSABILITIES
SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE UCI:
• UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano series label
• General coordination of the series
• TV production & distribution
• Timekeeping (including scoreboard) / results
• TV graphics
• Worldwide promotion of the series
• Technical advice and feedback on courses and event layout in the build up to the event
• Practical Organisation Guide for the 2017 UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by
Shimano
• Decoration and set up of the official infrastructure (start and finish arches, backdrops)
• Appointment and payment of a Technical Delegate
• Appointment and payment of the President of the Commissaires Panel and one secretary
• Liaison with the anti-doping organisation which will appoint Doping Control Officer(s)
• Visual guidelines
• Online registration
• Post event report and TV analysis
• Annual seminar for all organisers
• English speaking announcer
• Leaders’ Jerseys
• Payment of the overall ranking prize money at the end of the season (World Cup general
ranking)
• Trophies for the winners of the overall ranking
SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE OC:
• Payment of fees
• Organisation of the 2017 UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano in line with
the terms and conditions specified in the contract
• Respect of the UCI rules, UCI World Cup Organisation Guide and Visual Guidelines
• Cash payment of the prize money for the event (tableau en pop-up)
• Promotion of the event
• Medical services
• VIP area and activities
• Accommodation for UCI representatives (up to 60 nights, half board)
• Anti-doping related costs
• Adequate insurance coverage
• Athletes’ identification (bike plates, body numbers, etc.)
• Timing cabling
5/11/2017 12:10am
^You are partly right, partly wrong. The money is there (look at ski racing), the motivation simply isn't. I'm lucky to call Schladming my home track and I work in the ski industry. Places like Schladming make money hand over fist promoting ski events, they just don't care or see the potential for biking. Schladming hosts one of the world's most popular ski races of the year, with over 60,000 fans flooding the town. The money is there as is the avenue to capitalize on the ROI. It is simply the lack of motivation on the side of the Bergbahnen, local hotels, local infrastructure, etc. After a busy winter, they just don't want to be bothered with it all. They'd much rather just go on holiday, like they always have. They are stuck in their old "skiing" ways and are VERY slow to change.

As biking becomes more popular, this will hopefully change. But it won't happen until the resorts, lift companies, local hotels, etc. all see the potential for hosting a bike race.
5/11/2017 2:21am Edited Date/Time 5/11/2017 2:32am
^You are partly right, partly wrong. The money is there (look at ski racing), the motivation simply isn't. I'm lucky to call Schladming my home track...
^You are partly right, partly wrong. The money is there (look at ski racing), the motivation simply isn't. I'm lucky to call Schladming my home track and I work in the ski industry. Places like Schladming make money hand over fist promoting ski events, they just don't care or see the potential for biking. Schladming hosts one of the world's most popular ski races of the year, with over 60,000 fans flooding the town. The money is there as is the avenue to capitalize on the ROI. It is simply the lack of motivation on the side of the Bergbahnen, local hotels, local infrastructure, etc. After a busy winter, they just don't want to be bothered with it all. They'd much rather just go on holiday, like they always have. They are stuck in their old "skiing" ways and are VERY slow to change.

As biking becomes more popular, this will hopefully change. But it won't happen until the resorts, lift companies, local hotels, etc. all see the potential for hosting a bike race.
Oh i know the money is there.

I, along with many others in the town we live in, have been pushing hard to motivate our local community to justify a World Cup bid. The answer they give is the lack of funds, despite us proving that if they invested correctly in pre and post event marketing and trail networks, they could infact make alot of cash, and have a great place to ride you bike. They refuse to see the bid as an advert and see it as a stand alone cost.

They'd rather host Harley Davidson conventions (any guesses where it is yet?)

Fact is, if places like Lourdes, Cairns and Windham (sure not anymore Windham but it was 3 years) can justify the cost, some of the bigger resorts certainly can. The kickback for Lourdes would be minimal, considering the bike park there, for the average punter, isn't exactly extensive.

So it's about motivated people willing to put on an event for the area, which the local authorities respond to and see as a plus.

Can't see another series popping up either, to go back to another point. Calender is too stacked and the biggest title sponsor of 'alternative events', RedBull, are tied up with the UCI. Every team would need to boycott the current WC, which is unlikely.

Fort Bill is building almost an entirely new track for next year, by the way. It's also a popular event, for the fans and the riders, so a new track there would totally freshen it up. Good on them.
jeff.brines
5/11/2017 8:10am
Those Commencals - WOW! High pivot 29ers. Quick, somebody check and see if they kidnapped Ale Morgan! (In all truthfulness I bet those things eat chunk like no other.)
LLLLL
5/11/2017 8:23am
[img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/05/11/5136/s1200_IMG_1317.jpg[/img]

That's some big smiles right there!
5/11/2017 12:52pm
Next step bring back 1000mm bars. Thank You SYNCROS for the joke bar that everyone wanted (FR1000).
luiz1
5/11/2017 12:54pm
Off topic but...

#glorydayzzzz

Still have my original vhs tape.

Smile
Karabuka
5/11/2017 12:55pm
Topperharley wrote:

It's because Champery etc don't make enough money from the process to warrant bidding for a World Cup. That's right, resorts bid for a World Cup nd pay the UCI lots of money.

I have always found that amusing, UCI as an organization with one of the main goals being promotion of the sport should help you organize things, maybe even throw a bit into your way... but no, you have to pay them a large sum of money and play strictly to their notes (I've heard they demand things like min 4* hotel for their staff etc...)...
Oz_Taylor
5/11/2017 1:01pm
Karabuka wrote:
Topperharley wrote: It's because Champery etc don't make enough money from the process to warrant bidding for a World Cup. That's right, resorts bid for a...
Topperharley wrote:

I have always found that amusing, UCI as an organization with one of the main goals being promotion of the sport should help you organize things, maybe even throw a bit into your way... but no, you have to pay them a large sum of money and play strictly to their notes (I've heard they demand things like min 4* hotel for their staff etc...)...
And that's part of the reason why we are seeing more tracks that are based at bike parks. They can use the WC as a promotional event to hopefully attract visitors for the whole season. It's also much easier to tap into local government funding when it's part of a season-long tourist attraction, rather than a one off event.
Karabuka
5/12/2017 2:02am
Completely understandable, but we all agree they should be making separate DH tracks and not use existing bikeparkish stuff (I mean it's ok to use a jump or berm here and there), but 1/2 of track being motorway kinda sucks and we are all tired of seeing that over and over again...
AdamO
5/12/2017 8:03am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2017 8:04am
If the 29er wheels are really faster ...bummer for those who can not afford riding 29ers

Post a reply to: All Things Fort William World Cup 2017

The Latest