Accessibility Widget: On | Off

DIY Carbon bike repair

Create New Tag

7/21/2014 1:29 PM

Good news, you can fix your own bike when you crack that carbon. This looks totally safe.*

http://www.fiberfix.com/

Photo

*This is totally not safe.

|

Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

7/21/2014 2:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2014 2:13 PM

i saw that on shark tank and wondered if it would work for bikes haha. i'd try it. they hit it with a hammer, so it's totally safe!

plus you can totally redo your geometry/seat tube angle w/ the bamboo like in that photo!

|

7/21/2014 2:18 PM

I was actually curious if it would work well as a frame protector. They don't say how thick it is on the site.

|

7/21/2014 2:25 PM

Seems legit.

?rel=0
|

7/21/2014 4:18 PM

jasonvelocity wrote:

I was actually curious if it would work well as a frame protector. They don't say how thick it is on the site.

i bet it would work just fine. it's like an ace bandage that you'd stretch out a bit...kinda like the external layers of a cast for a broken arm or something. you could sand down any rough edges (if you dare possibly sanding your frame, too). it would be permanent though. i saw the display example at home depot and it wasn't coming off the shovel handle anytime soon. it'd be like adding a layer/patch of fiberglass & resin to your frame...not much different to surfboard or boat repair patches.

|

7/21/2014 4:50 PM

I'd just use some KT tape and VitalMTB stickers

|

7/21/2014 5:14 PM

If you were especially clever, you could make your own frame.

|

7/23/2014 3:19 PM

Greg!!!

|

7/24/2014 4:01 PM

Oh no! (@averone)It isn't the just the epoxy that holds your bike together. It is the carbon.
Not sure what the fibre material is in fibre fix. But I wouldn't imagine it is carbon. Or has anywhere near the strength of carbon.
Can't see the water activated epoxy being real flash either... Beware I say.

|

12/19/2016 6:52 AM

how 'bout now?

|

12/19/2016 9:03 AM

That stuff will make really cool and durable wallets. Xmas gifts, sorted! Great post, 5-star would recommend!

|

12/19/2016 6:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2016 6:41 PM

I once raced my Santa Cruz Super 8 with a cracked down tube that I had JB Welded and wrapped a whole big role of duct tape around. I traveled to the race with a generous friend who let me ride his Brooklyn all practice. Then I rode my taped up job to a mid place finish. I would have loved to have had some FiberFix.

|

12/19/2016 7:15 PM

I used Fiberfix to fix an aluminum mast and to build a cast. It works really well, not as light as carbon, but who cares? I would recommend it for all folks going deep into the back country or on over nighters.

|

12/23/2016 9:54 AM

jasonvelocity wrote:

Good news, you can fix your own bike when you crack that carbon. This looks totally safe.*

http://www.fiberfix.com/

Photo

...more

Thats hilarious, I have that exact frame sitting in my garage with a cracked seatstay, I have been thinking of trying my hand at carbon repair with it. What's the worst that could happen? smile

|

2/1/2017 1:29 AM

good stuff!

|