ALL THINGS ANDORRA WORLD CUP

Create New Tag

6/26/2017 1:06 PM

Another World Cup DH round is upon us, this time it's Andorra. Old-man world champs have concluded and now it's time for the Elites to roll in.

So rumors are that some riders are ditching the 29ers but we may see new riders on the bigger wheels. Steep, tech and currently pouring rain. It's going to be a fun one this week!





|

6/26/2017 2:05 PM



Oh man...ok race fans, if this is how things are gonna be, who are you putting your internet dollars on?
|

6/26/2017 2:09 PM

sideshow wrote:

Oh man...ok race fans, if this is how things are gonna be, who are you putting your internet dollars on?

Steep, technical and muddy...



...that's my bet.

|

6/26/2017 2:24 PM

jeff.brines wrote:

Steep, technical and muddy...



...that's my bet.

Yep I agree. Danny Hart...on 27.5".

|

6/26/2017 2:39 PM

rat out of retirement on 26?

|

6/26/2017 3:08 PM

sspomer wrote:

rat out of retirement on 26?

semiserious question - could he in theory race? Does he have points from last year or are those expired now?

|

6/26/2017 8:49 PM

Too tough to call! And that's how I likes it! I would say either Minnaar, Hart or Gwin. I would love to see a different winner at each race.

|

6/27/2017 8:07 AM

slight mod to the end of the course

|

6/27/2017 9:07 AM

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

6/27/2017 9:31 AM

Is Sam Hill racing in Andorra this weekend?

|

6/27/2017 9:48 AM

here are startlists. i searched for "sam" and didn't hill's name come up.









|

6/27/2017 9:55 AM

Verbl Kint wrote:

Is Sam Hill racing in Andorra this weekend?

Nah, this weekend is the EWS at Millau, France.

|

6/27/2017 10:34 AM

sspomer wrote:

slight mod to the end of the course

That new section is going to be pure death and I mean that in the most awesome way... think flat turns of Schladming, in the rain.... YEEEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!

|

6/27/2017 11:04 AM

here's a masters world champs POV from last week. it's going to be slippery and sloppy compared to this dust fest!

|

6/27/2017 3:24 PM

That's a lotta riders. Where is the split between A practice and B practice? Gonna be busy out there.

|

6/27/2017 7:43 PM

Shame about the last part of the track, weather calls this far out are basically pointless 48 hours max in summer really for weather calls.

If anyone is interested in what the weather is currently like check this link https://www.yr.no/place/Andorra/la_Massana/La_Massana/long.html by the looks of it at this stage who ever wins qualifying will prob get the driest track on race day at this stage but as mentioned no real point calling the weather yet until Friday.

|

6/28/2017 8:26 AM

peecee wrote:

Shame about the last part of the track, weather calls this far out are basically pointless 48 hours max in summer really for weather calls.

If anyone is interested in what the weather is currently like check this link https://www.yr.no/place/Andorra/la_Massana/La_Massana/long.html by the looks of it at this stage who ever wins qualifying will prob get the driest track on race day at this stage but as mentioned no real point calling the weather yet until Friday.

There's a fine line between a wet track and peanut butter. May be better to go earlier on race day! We'll see...

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

6/28/2017 11:09 AM

track walk vid with comedy commentary from iceman

|

6/28/2017 1:06 PM

is laurie greenland being serious? says he tested 26 vs 27.5 last week in austria and was faster deuce six.
http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Maybe-26-Aint-Dead-Is-Laurie-Greenland-Being-Serious,1853

he sounds legit to me, but can't tell. if only he'd race on them

|

6/28/2017 2:34 PM

|

6/28/2017 7:50 PM

|

6/29/2017 8:33 AM

timed training results (danny, pompon and finn fastest)
http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/RESULTS-Timed-Training-from-the-Vallnord-Andorra-World-Cup-DH,1061

plus some slowmo from this morning

|

6/29/2017 11:26 AM

most perfect DH day ever? dirt, track, riders? sheesh

|

6/30/2017 5:16 AM

Women and Junior qualifying over:





Man currently on course, at the moment it looks like this with the top 25 already coming down:



|

6/30/2017 5:47 AM

Top 13 with top 100 having already come down (dont think it will change):



|

6/30/2017 9:58 AM

Slightly off topic and combining two posts, but I couldn't help thinking after the transition article, which was great BTW, that have teams like the Syndicate or Intense been exploring the whole offset piece with their forks (maybe why they seem more comfortable with the 29 than others). While Transitions seems like the first bike brand to really discuss this publicly it did seem like Fox/RockShox has been discussing this concept for a couple years... Be interesting to know if the 29 teams did some work here as well

|

6/30/2017 10:07 AM

MPH24 wrote:

Slightly off topic and combining two posts, but I couldn't help thinking after the transition article, which was great BTW, that have teams like the Syndicate or Intense been exploring the whole offset piece with their forks (maybe why they seem more comfortable with the 29 than others). While Transitions seems like the first bike brand to really discuss this publicly it did seem like Fox/RockShox has been discussing this concept for a couple years... Be interesting to know if the 29 teams did some work here as well

A good question. I know Syndicate played with this to some extent. In fact, its fairly well known Greg has played with fork offset a fair amount, especially back in his Honda days (correct me if I'm wrong)

Fork offset is nothing new, it just is a bit funny to me the trend was for more, not less, (Trek G2 geometry anyone?)

Maybe David C will chime in here, as he was at Trek during the days they were pushing for more offset on their 29" wheeled bikes.

To be totally honest, I get the gist of offset, trail etc, but without having ridden multiple offsets on the same bike back to back, I really have to admit I'm just guessing, as is most of the internet. This is why its remained one of those "mysteries" to me...besides the obvious changes.

Sorry for the topic change indeed - but yeah, I'd expect more experimentation with this as the sport continues to get more competitive...

|

6/30/2017 11:24 AM

Jeff - Agree with you that is nothing wildly new. I am thinking with people going back and forth on the whole 29 thing that some of these teams just got some parts and slapped some new wheels on, while SC and Intense put a lot more thought into the overall geo and package. SC and Intense seemed to have done well in qualis despite the steep and twisty nature of the lower part of this track where 29s should be "bad."

Sorry to hijack the Andorra thread, but with the back and forth by some teams here for this WC. Thought it was interesting.

|

6/30/2017 1:10 PM

hyperpower! way to hustle the results early!!! thanks for that. jeff and mph24, i'm curious about the offset stuff, too.

until raceday, enjoy some armchair line analysis
http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/LINE-CHOICE-COMPARISON-Andorra-World-Cup-DH,33996/sspomer,2

|

7/6/2017 5:36 AM

I know a lot of it is rider obviously, but how amazing did Bruni's bike look. Considering the small difference in time, his bike just looked to be working so well. Cool to watch!

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------