Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Bike design as a hobby

Related:
Create New Tag

5/2/2020 7:27 PM

Having a lot of free time during the lockdown had me itching to design another bike. Here is the result. Almost the same geometry as the first one.

475mm reach
110mm head tube length
436mm chainstay length
80 degrees seat angle
63.5 head angle
200mm/210mm travel

changeable leverage curve by using different front shock mounts

Also made a mount for my older 216x63 shocks that gives me 178mm rear travel. Coupled with some old 160mm forks will give me about 64.5 head angle.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

What do you guys think? Anything I missed? Appreciate any input from people who actually know stuff. I'm just learning as I go.

|

5/3/2020 8:39 PM

looks pretty good. Have you considered the seat tube length if you are on the taller side?

|

2020 Specialized Enduro w/ 38 + X2, XT 12s
2020 V10 29 CC

5/3/2020 9:23 PM

Angu58 wrote:

looks pretty good. Have you considered the seat tube length if you are on the taller side?

I have. seat tube length is 410mm. Should fit a 185mm or longer dropper for me being 6ft

|

5/3/2020 9:35 PM

Fair enough. I’m kind of an idiot when it comes to bike design, but it looks well thought out, and has some nice looks.

|

2020 Specialized Enduro w/ 38 + X2, XT 12s
2020 V10 29 CC

7/19/2020 4:03 PM

Hi! really good design ! What is the software you are using to make 3d model ? I have plenty idea of bike frame and i want to make them in 3d.
Thank's!

|

9/9/2020 11:53 PM

DatCurryGuy wrote:

Hi! really good design ! What is the software you are using to make 3d model ? I have plenty idea of bike frame and i want to make them in 3d.
Thank's!

Looks like solidworks.

Cool design man - not enough waterbottle mounts though. Plz add more! tongue

|

9/15/2020 3:26 AM

DatCurryGuy wrote:

Thank's!

jezken wrote:

Looks like solidworks.

Cool design man - not enough waterbottle mounts though. Plz add more! tongue

haha, I actually removed the one below the downtube. Frame is almost done. That bike check of Paul Aston and the recent popularity of mullets had me thinking what it would feel like with a higher BB and a 27.5 rear wheel. I suppose a different chainstay or seatstay and an angle set should be a cheaper way of making the bike a mullet than a completely new frame.

Photo

|

10/12/2020 7:48 PM

When are you selling them :D

|

i, too, enjoy eating dirt

11/12/2020 3:48 AM

spoon_ wrote:

Just a one off. It's one thing to design bikes as a hobby and another to actually make a business out of it. Frame's done by the way. Will be testing it out soon and make a bike check.

Photo

|

11/12/2020 12:03 PM

Friggin rad!

|

11/12/2020 12:22 PM

spoon_ wrote:

_Lan wrote:

Just a one off. It's one thing to design bikes as a hobby and another to actually make a business out of it. Frame's done by the way. Will be testing it out soon and make a bike check.

Photo

That’s a gorgeous bike !!!!

|

11/12/2020 3:59 PM

spoon_ wrote:

_Lan wrote:

Photo

i know, i just think it's friggin dope and would ride one

|

11/16/2020 3:36 PM

Wow this forum is awesome. I'm also working on a bike. I'm still in the early planning phases however I can share some details.
- its a CNC machined gearbox enduro bike
- It will be a coil only dual link design Photo

|

11/17/2020 8:52 AM

I have a full sized drawing of a pull shock DH 29er ready to go. If only someone made a pull shock...

|

11/17/2020 1:38 PM

Big Bird wrote:

I have a full sized drawing of a pull shock DH 29er ready to go. If only someone made a pull shock...

I see those older cannondale/Fox ones on FB marketplace all the time.

|

11/17/2020 10:17 PM

Leo Molloy wrote:

Wow this forum is awesome. I'm also working on a bike. I'm still in the early planning phases however I can share some details.
- its a CNC machined gearbox enduro bike
- It will be a coil only dual link design Photo

Cool, keep us updated on your progress

|

11/18/2020 3:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/18/2020 3:18 AM

Big Bird wrote:

hack one together yourself?

could probably get a coil shock and reconfigure so the compression works as rebound... not ideal but it could work. probably have to run really firm valving and then lighten up the rebound stack a lot cause its now compression.

Then figure out a way to have a pull spring. Or put the spring somewhere else in the frame i guess like the cannondale DH bike

|

11/25/2020 11:17 PM

Hi, this is my latest design. I really like the kinematics however after looking at it more closely I realised it looks a lot like a pivot firebird or phoenix. Do you think they look similar? Should I be worried about patents, or does it look different enough?

Photo

|

11/26/2020 2:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/26/2020 2:12 AM

Leo Molloy wrote:

Hi, this is my latest design. I really like the kinematics however after looking at it more closely I realised it looks a lot like a pivot firebird or phoenix. Do you think they look similar? Should I be worried about patents, or does it look different enough?

Photo

As far as I know patents don't come into play until you commercialize your product. But hey maybe you'll get an overly litigious patent troll who hints at taking legal action at you even if it's just for personal use so who knows.

|

11/26/2020 2:15 AM

Photo

Been testing the bike and it's awesome. Performs like a DH bike and climbs like a trail bike.

Done testing it at 21% progressivity and currently testing the 62% progressivity shock mount.
|

11/26/2020 2:53 AM

Do you think the 62% progression is more "poppy/playful"? It seems to be a toss up weather more linear or progressive suspension creates more support too push against.

|