Tires for Bootleg Canyon

Related:
Create New Tag

12/29/2010 11:09 AM

Headed out there for the race in Feb.
Can i get some insight into tire selection please - Used to East Coast Riding and will be my first trip out west
Minion F on my ride currently

Thanks in advance

|

12/29/2010 12:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/29/2010 12:12 PM

the terrain is very dry and full of sharp rocks. some loose, some not loose. be advised that tires can get worn out or sliced up pretty easily out there.

as for models, i'll let more experienced locals give you their recommendations, but i can't imagine you'd go wrong with minion F's out there.

|

12/29/2010 12:16 PM

sspomer wrote:

the terrain is very dry and full of sharp rocks. some loose, some not loose. be advised that tires can get worn out or sliced up pretty easily out there.

as for models, i'll let more experienced locals give you their recommendations, but i can't imagine you'd go wrong with minion F's out there.

Spomer called it! You cannot go wrong with the Minion! The Conti's work good - the Chundas and the Kenda EC's...

|

Quinton Spaulding | KHS Factory Racing (Team Manager) | Ride KHS
quinton@khsfactoryracing | www.khsfactoryracing.com
mobile: 702.521.2820 | www.khsbicycles.com

Facebook Twitter YouTube

12/29/2010 12:18 PM

Thanks Guys !! Appreciate the feedback -
Siked to get out there and check it out

|

12/30/2010 3:35 PM

I've seen several people run a semi slick... Something to think about for the weight weenies. me, DHR front and rear baby! I've heard that's what Sam Hill rides

|

12/30/2010 3:44 PM

You could probably run a bald tire and have plenty of traction. In fact, if you start with a bald tire you won't be crying when your new tire is bald at the end of the weekend. I'd run something with a thick casing.

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

12/30/2010 7:29 PM

bturman wrote:

You could probably run a bald tire and have plenty of traction. In fact, if you start with a bald tire you won't be crying when your new tire is bald at the end of the weekend. I'd run something with a thick casing.

Agreed with Turman, its all about the casing at Bootleg. The terrain destroys tire tread and sidewalls, so don't try and run a single ply or anything light, run durable for sure. I have run Minions and High Rollers with luck, Intense 2 and 4 plys with great luck, Kenda Nevegals I ran into issues with but had some friends who didnt and loved em there

|

12/31/2010 9:09 AM

DHF's will be fine...it is what I run down there.

|

Lance

1/19/2011 12:16 PM

Def run some intense... 2 ply in the front and 4 ply in the rear.... The 4 ply willl let you bang around out there and not have to worry about denting rims, destroying sidewalls, or flatting... The intense 909 is a tire specifically designed for steep loose and dry conditions... Then the invader is the next choice

|