How to be a better rider

9/14/2016 11:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2016 9:25am
I have created this post to help those who need a little motivation and advice in becoming a better and more experienced rider. So please add your advice and motivation.

|
bturman
9/15/2016 9:37am
Good stuff, George!

Take a look here for some "wisdom" I've gained over several years of riding: http://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/Ways-to-Become-a-Better-Mounta…

In summary:

- Dick About
- Ride With Someone (Slightly) Faster Than You
- Scare Yourself A Little Every Ride
- Master The Wheelie
- Take A Skills Camp
- Ride A Bike Park
- Travel More
- Learn To Dirt Jump
- Experiment With Your Setup
- Look Further Ahead
jhmckean563
9/15/2016 12:00pm
Under the "Dick About" category, see the Cutties vid on the homepage today!

Also, flat pedals.
9/15/2016 3:20pm
Thank you this advice its great. I have just got a new bike to replace my old Giant Brass. Most of the guys i ride with are older than me so have some on faster is no prop. Its just that i feel bit crap when i have one of the best bikes but all ways arriving at the bottom hill last
smelly
9/15/2016 3:54pm
I agree with all of bturman's list, and add the following -

- Watch pro races (dh especially). Pay attention to the lines and styles of different rides, and try emulating them.
- Learn to trackstand. Then do it with one hand. Then no hands.
- Learn to bunny hop (without using clipless pedals).
- Find trails with sections that you can't clean. Ride by yourself and try the same sections over and over again.
- Most importantly, go to the gym. BikeJames is a good resource for learning functional movement and strength for mountain biking.
TRex
9/15/2016 6:59pm
I fully support BTurman's post. I've seen so many riders that are good but trying to get to the next level is near impossible. A majority of them have the inability to step out of their comfort zones, but they do have the ability to do 'correct' riding and have perfect form nearly all of the time. Most of them just need to act like 12 year olds and jump as far as they can, bunnyhop stuff, mess up, and skid. That will make you a better rider if you feel like you are at an plateau.
9/15/2016 10:36pm
The advice is great
Would like to know how to corner better and if there is anything to help practice for them.
smelly
9/16/2016 6:38am
The advice is great
Would like to know how to corner better and if there is anything to help practice for them.
All the above will help. Watching the pros was especially helpful for me
jhmckean563
9/16/2016 9:06am
The advice is great
Check out Simon Lawton's videos - "Like a Pro" is an especially good intro all the fundamental techniques and little things that will make a big difference in your riding.
9/16/2016 10:24am
bturman wrote:
Good stuff, George! Take a look here for some "wisdom" I've gained over several years of riding: http://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/Ways-to-Become-a-Better-Mountain-Biker,9334 In summary: - Dick About - Ride With...
Good stuff, George!

Take a look here for some "wisdom" I've gained over several years of riding: http://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/Ways-to-Become-a-Better-Mounta…

In summary:

- Dick About
- Ride With Someone (Slightly) Faster Than You
- Scare Yourself A Little Every Ride
- Master The Wheelie
- Take A Skills Camp
- Ride A Bike Park
- Travel More
- Learn To Dirt Jump
- Experiment With Your Setup
- Look Further Ahead
The dicking about picture is hilarious
A.P.
9/16/2016 1:51pm
I would add: Ride a BMX on a nice pump track.
Steep HA, no suspension, 20" wheels, 80psi in the tires. Very difficult to master at first, but so fast once you get it.

Guaranteed to improve your technique to properly ride berms and pump the terrain. At a point, it even changes your approach to line choices and you will be seeking all the rocks and roots backsides in the trail to generate speed.

Post a reply to: How to be a better rider

The Latest

The Latest