Budget downhill bike?

Ay_Man
Edited Date/Time 6/4/2019 10:31am
So highschool kid with no job, but im seeking to buy a downill bike. I have an enduro/trail bike, and have done 2 dh races on it. I got 9th in the most recent race, because if i went too fast in any rock gardens I would get thrown around. I was recently looking at a airborne taka, but I sadly found out that they had discontinued that model. The good thing was it was only 1,200. but now that I cant get that im stuck. I know that everyone will say to get the YT tues, but thats running for about 3,000 dollars right now, so thats out of my price range. I see a used bike at my local bike shop for 2500, but Its probably going to be sold soon, and that wont leave me enough time to save up the money. Are there any complete dh bikes with 200mm of suspension that are 2,000 or under that price. It has to be double crown too. Please help me out, cuz Im right now back to square one, googling budget dh bikes. PLEASE help
|
Scrub
5/30/2019 4:13pm
Look in the classified ads,Ebay, and maybe get a part time job at a local bike shop to get a discount. There are always good deals for used bikes. Take the lead and be assertive in what you want, everything you want is out there you just have to look. Sell some junk you have laying around the house and don't use anymore. Sell lemonade on the corner, mow lawns, donate an organ...
sspomer
5/30/2019 6:07pm
like scrub said...buy used for sure. $2k should yield you a boatload of capable DH bikes. for $2k you could buy this 3 times.

abe
5/31/2019 6:43am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2019 7:45am
sspomer wrote:
like scrub said...buy used for sure. $2k should yield you a boatload of capable DH bikes. for $2k you could buy this 3 times. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2019/05/30/8165/s1200_Screen_Shot_2019_05_30_at_7.05.59_PM.jpg[/img]
like scrub said...buy used for sure. $2k should yield you a boatload of capable DH bikes. for $2k you could buy this 3 times.

Im the AY_man guy, I had to change accounts, I cant find any dh bike that isnt like 4,000 dollars (on craigslist, classifieds, or pretty much any used goods website). Theres 1 for like 1,200 but its 5 hours away, so I cant get out there, and possibly find out the bike is trash, or bottom line even get there. Need more help
brash
5/31/2019 5:25pm
If you are not adverse to 26 inch. The 2014 Devinci Wilson still my fav dh bike I’ve ever ridden. I upgrade race bikes every year and still haven’t had the goldilocks feeling like that bike gave me.

I ended up buying another one which was Dean Lucas junior worlds bike. It’s been the communal shuttle bike for friends and been cartwheeled more times I can count. Still going strong! Devinci got that bike dialled! The 650b a year later just didn’t do it for me weirdly.
abe
5/31/2019 6:14pm
brash wrote:
If you are not adverse to 26 inch. The 2014 Devinci Wilson still my fav dh bike I’ve ever ridden. I upgrade race bikes every year...
If you are not adverse to 26 inch. The 2014 Devinci Wilson still my fav dh bike I’ve ever ridden. I upgrade race bikes every year and still haven’t had the goldilocks feeling like that bike gave me.

I ended up buying another one which was Dean Lucas junior worlds bike. It’s been the communal shuttle bike for friends and been cartwheeled more times I can count. Still going strong! Devinci got that bike dialled! The 650b a year later just didn’t do it for me weirdly.
Where can I buy? Cant find it anywhere
brash
5/31/2019 7:07pm
I'm not in the USA but I presume facebook mtb groups and do you have that Gumtree/Craigslist?
taldfind
5/31/2019 7:38pm
Try pinkbike.com. While I much prefer vitalmtb for content and community, I believe pinkbike has the best bike classifieds on the web.

Just be sure to get help from an adult who is experienced with buying from online classifieds to avoid scammers or buying stolen bikes. I've managed to spot fraudulent sellers before ever committing to payment, but I very nearly lost a lot of money to a fraudulent buyer once. They are out there, and can be tough to spot, but if you ask a bunch of relevant questions, and ask for additional photos (to verify they have the bike and the condition matches what they say,) most of the time you will spot the fakers from the real sellers.

Another thing to try, look up shops in the town the seller claims to live in, pick one, and contact them to see if they will inspect the bike for you. Some shops will be happy to do this for you, and any legit seller should understand and be willing to take their bike in. Oh, and make sure you budget shipping and paying the shop for the inspection into that 2 grand you've got.
luisgutrod
6/1/2019 4:06am
if you dont see what you would like in the used market..get a jenson built banshee darkside... push for the 300-400 bucks above 2k... you wont regret it..
spoon_
6/3/2019 12:51am
on-one s36???? cheap but seems decent?
abe
6/4/2019 10:31am
spoon_ wrote:
on-one s36???? cheap but seems decent?
thanks, but where to buy

Post a reply to: Budget downhill bike?

The Latest