Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Best Or Worst Bike Mods and Riding Accessories

Create New Tag

10/26/2020 11:39 AM

The absolute best: New set of tires with the right casing, tread, and compound for your riding.

The worst: Spending money on any part or accessory other than the above if your tires are worn out or not the correct casing, compound, and tread for your riding, even if the current set are brand new.

If you have a brand new set of correct tires, then purchase large platform pedals with long metal pins (at least 5mm sticking out, the hardware store is a great place to get new pins) and five tens (if a flat pedal rider). An alternative is purchasing brakes that don't require you to squeeeze them to lock up.

P.S. No part or accessory purchase will do more for your riding than a long weekend at a bike park or shuttle area with people faster than you. It's amazing how many places you'll notice yourself braking or turning unnecessarily when riding behind your "fast" buddy and he starts pulling away in the first corner.

|

10/26/2020 7:38 PM

Oneup bars, look cool but don’t feel much different from alloy raceface bars. Waste of money.

|

N+1

10/27/2020 1:12 AM

Fred_Pop wrote:

Best change in the last few years was going to inserts and lighter tires. Started out with Schwalbe Procore and am now on ...more

RobJ wrote:

Can you share more specifics on your setup? Very interested to hear how the tubolito interacts with the cushcore within the ...more

I run Maxxis Assegai 27.5x2.5 dual compound EXO tires which with the small knobs cut off for better mud clearance. They weigh around 1000g. I then run the tubolite s-tubo 27.5x1.8/2.4 which can be used with a valve extension.
I make a hole in the part of the cushcore insert right above the valve hole. They tube sits above the insert thus being protected from pinchflats. I have found that since I am running 35mm inner width rims I need to run the Cushcore plus insert in the back since there isn't enough overlap above the rim edge. Not a problem with the front wheel as it gets less force on impacts.
I find with this setup I have as much if not more grip than a standard stickier rubber compound with tubeless/tube setup. Besides there aren't many tires with the stickier compound in singleply version. Also the tires last longer. Now this is my dry/all around setup. For softer conditions I run a WTB Verdict wet front and currently rearing on the rear the new Eddy Current front both in 27.5. Not running inserts in these tires at the moment but may do so in the future.

|

10/27/2020 8:02 AM

Fred_Pop wrote:

I run Maxxis Assegai 27.5x2.5 dual compound EXO tires which with the small knobs cut off for better mud clearance. They weigh ...more

Tubes are a no go for us here in southern Cali. There are way to many thorns that'll puncture even the thickest dh tires! I will never go back to tubes! but I do admire your creativity! sounds like it works well for where your at.

|

10/27/2020 8:35 AM

mudhugger front fender. I don't get hit in the face by rocks anymore.

|

10/27/2020 8:36 AM

And cushcore with DH casings on all bikes. Makes a world of difference.

|

10/27/2020 8:41 AM

Schwalbe Eddy Current tires are incredible. Last longer than ass guy. Paired with Galfer 223 rotor and pads. One word:"tactile"...

|

10/27/2020 9:27 AM

nwtoney55@gmail.com wrote:

Schwalbe Eddy Current tires are incredible. Last longer than ass guy. Paired with Galfer 223 rotor and pads. One ...more

Been super curious about the Eddy Current tires... How long are they lasting? Reno conditions- dry/rocks?

What ones did you get? They have 2.4, 2.6, 2.8 options?

|

10/27/2020 9:46 AM

Best additions to my bike:
DHX2 coming from a DPX2
Cushcore
Putting all the spacers under the stem
Saint brakes

Worst thing on my bike right now:
GX Eagle drivetrain. Rattles like a skeleton masturbating in a tin box after a year, the clutch is complete trash.

Meh things on my bike:
Burgtec Bartender grips

I love how they feel but the sides rip open way too easily when putting your bike on the side.

Things I’m looking forward to:
I have a 1.5° works angleset on order, really interested in how it will change the bike. Already put a 30mm rise bar to offset the front end getting lower but no chance to ride it yet. Wonder if that vibrocore stuff is as good as everyone says.

|

10/27/2020 10:34 AM

29 wrote:

DHX2 coming from a DPX2
Cushcore
Saint brakes

Worst thing ...more

Vibrocore wheels didn’t stay true very long for me on the dh bike, front or rear. The handlebar is nice though.

|

N+1

10/27/2020 11:08 AM

29 wrote:

DHX2 coming from a DPX2
Cushcore
Saint brakes

Worst thing ...more

yzedf wrote:

Vibrocore wheels didn’t stay true very long for me on the dh bike, front or rear. The handlebar is nice though.

yeah I only got the bars. EX511s are on wheel duty, absolutely bomb proof so far.

|

10/27/2020 11:31 AM

Best things:

Tannus Armor (the tubeless version)
Slip on grips (Renthal Ulta Tacky or Sensus Swayze
MegNeg

Worst thing:
Thinking I could get away with a Snakeskin tire out back.

|

10/27/2020 1:40 PM

If you’re wondering if you can get away with a Snakeskin or EXO tire in the back, you absolutely cannot get away with a Snakeskin or EXO tire in the back.

|

10/27/2020 1:44 PM

TEAMROBOT wrote:

If you’re wondering if you can get away with a Snakeskin or EXO tire in the back, you absolutely cannot get away with a ...more

I'd think I'd have know that already. Poor choices clearly extends beyond the lines I take.

|

10/27/2020 2:37 PM

TEAMROBOT wrote:

If you’re wondering if you can get away with a Snakeskin or EXO tire in the back, you absolutely cannot get away with a ...more

Its funny you say that! My wife is very petite so I thought I could save some weight on her DH bike by going EXO casing and 5 plugs later within a month we are back to DH casing!

|

10/27/2020 3:43 PM

Any One Up or Shimano component that goes to my bike considered as a good upgrade (never used their stem so have no clue about this tricky lock system); formula brakes with their magic connector as well;

Anything from race face considered as a opportunity to have an upgrade within few month again;

|

FUN

10/27/2020 3:44 PM

TEAMROBOT wrote:

you can, just add more air, in case you not willing to add more air - dh casing

|

FUN

10/27/2020 4:36 PM

Favorite Accessories:

TOGS - I've only ever seen XC people with these things, but I run them on my enduro bike specifically for racing. It's nice to be able to set your hands on top of your grips and turn your brain off on the pedal transitions. It has a Pavlovian way of reminding my legs not to try to hard when I'm not on the clock.

Timber Bell - I have mixed feelings about this thing. The constant ringing drives me absolutely insane and I feel like sometimes it removes me from the moment, but when I come around a bend and see a hiker, they are already out of the way and thanking me. It makes riding in nice weather during peak hours a lot more enjoyable just because I don't have to stop as much.

Meh:

Frame storage straps - There's got to be a better way to attach tools/tubes to my frame in a way that I don't have to unstrap everything to get to the one thing I need. Maybe I just need to invent something better myself.

Worst:
This one's personal, but Sram Code brakes. I loved them right up until I had a brake line fail this summer on the first turn of a DH segment that caused a pretty hefty injury. I ended up replacing the line and they work good as new now but I just can't get past the mental block of wondering if it's gonna happen again. I have a new set of Magura MT7's waiting to go on my next bike.

|

10/27/2020 8:34 PM

Best by far for me are Magura Mt5 brakes. I've been riding them for 3 seasons or so now and they are worlds superior to the previous shimano slx set I had.

Best mod: 27.5 conversion for my Cannondale Prophet. Long story short it's worth the small rise in bb height and limited tire clearance.

2nd best mod: finding out that you can run MT7 type pads with MT5 brake calipers You just need to buy the bolts and pads. And its much easier to service. I think they feel better than stock too.

|

10/28/2020 3:42 AM

29 wrote:

DHX2 coming from a DPX2
Cushcore
Saint brakes

Worst thing ...more

yzedf wrote:

vibrocore in bars thumbs up
vibrocore in rims ehh feels the same, running 350/359 combo

|

i, too, enjoy eating dirt

10/28/2020 8:37 AM

yzedf wrote:

Oneup bars, look cool but don’t feel much different from alloy raceface bars. Waste of money.

UGH, I just ordered oneup bars last night. Was sold on taking some of the little chatter out of my front end. Fingers crossed I have a different experience.

Favorite upgrades: AXS upgrade derailleur (not life changing but cool), MegNeg, Charger 2.1 for my yari fork, and Muc-off valves with core removal cap.

Lease fav: Stans Dart tool (the white tip breaks off before I can get the plug in).

|

10/28/2020 8:58 AM

Panic_rev wrote:

UGH, I just ordered oneup bars last night. Was sold on taking some of the little chatter out of my front end. Fingers crossed ...more

Interesting feedback on the Dart tool.

I've had an awful time trying to find a tire plug setup that doesn't pull out after pedaling around for a few rides. I bought a Dynaplug hoping the brass barbs would keep the ground from pulling it out over time, but the barbs end up separating from the plug and then I have a hole in my tire again AND a brass chunk rattling around in there.

The only thing that I've found works OK for a long term fix is using as many bacon strips as I can fit on the insertion tool. Then when I get home from the ride, I open up the tire and loop a zip tie through the plugs on the inside so they can't be pulled back out.

I was gonna try the Dart tool next since I've heard some good reviews about them. But if they just break before you can put them in then I guess there's not much point.

|

10/28/2020 9:30 AM

yzedf wrote:

Panic_rev wrote:

UGH, I just ordered oneup bars last night. Was sold on taking some of the little chatter out of my front end. Fingers crossed ...more

Dextreme wrote:

Interesting feedback on the Dart tool.

I've had an awful time trying to find a tire plug setup that doesn't pull out after ...more

Same here- bacons always push out/skid out after a while- I use them to get home or to the car then fix more permanently when in the garage. Was also going to buy a Stans Dart someday but maybe not now...

I cut a thin strip of rag (towel is best), tie a knot in one end then push from the inside of the tire so the knot can't pull through the hole.

Clear Shoe-Goo glue and sewing also works.

All janky fixes but tires are expensive.

|

10/28/2020 2:16 PM

^^^ if dave camp suggests a fix that isn't janky, it's prob a hacked account.

|

10/28/2020 3:39 PM

Some stuff I have had good luck with:
One Up bars, I have nerve damage in both arms and these made a huge difference. Ergon grips help also but I find the grip is less important with these bars. I like everything One Up makes, as said by others, have not tried the stem.

Stan's Dart, only had to use once and it was great, quickest I ever had a puncture seal up, had 2 difference holes and it worked on both and I was on may way (One Up Pump is great also). Have done the several pieces of bacon strips before and it worked. I usually would get done with my ride and drop some crazy/gorilla glue on the outside of the tire and never had an issue. I seem to only get punctures like this when the tire has less than 25 miles on it. Because of my previously mentioned hand/arm issues it is difficult for me to change a tire. I can do it, just causes a lot of pain so I try to avoid removing a tire until it needs to be replaced.

Going back to DH casing tires at least on the rear, this helps avoid the punctures, but I have still gotten a few.

|

10/28/2020 9:52 PM

29 wrote:

DHX2 coming from a DPX2
Cushcore
Saint brakes

Worst thing ...more

To keep the grips from punching out put a coin in the end before you install. Not sure what coin that would be in euro, but for the the US folks its a nickel.
I was able to find anarticle with pictures if I'm not making sense.

|

10/29/2020 2:14 AM

RobJ wrote:

Can you share more specifics on your setup? Very interested to hear how the tubolito interacts with the cushcore within the ...more

Fred_Pop wrote:

I run Maxxis Assegai 27.5x2.5 dual compound EXO tires which with the small knobs cut off for better mud clearance. They weigh ...more

rockchomper wrote:

Tubes are a no go for us here in southern Cali. There are way to many thorns that'll puncture even the thickest dh tires! I ...more

Fair enough. Yeah no thorns here in the Alps.

|

10/29/2020 8:59 AM

Worst:
Maxxis Aggressor - sucks for climbing, doesn't stop well, should have gone with a Minion SS, 'cause at least it can corner
SRAM Guide - not as good as Levels or cantis
Bontrager Blaze helmet with Wavecel - expensive, hot and heavy, just what I want in a halfshell helmet

Best:
Carbon rims on everything - no more flat spots
Vorsprung Luftkappe - amazing
Dropper posts that aren't Reverbs - most rides I use my dropper more often than I shift

Jury's Out:
Intoxicated while riding - set some PRs while hammered, but it seems like a bad idea [although not at the time]

|

Hung over, off the back.

10/29/2020 10:58 AM

pinkrobe wrote:

Worst:
Maxxis Aggressor - sucks for climbing, doesn't stop well, should have gone with a Minion SS, 'cause at least it can ...more

Which Guides were you using? I have the RSCs and thought about switching to Magura MT7s. I’ve had pistons stick twice to where it almost had my front wheel locked up but seems okay now. It sounds like it rubs sometimes and then goes away again tho

|

SB5.5
SB95

10/29/2020 11:05 AM

Kelz87 wrote:

Which Guides were you using? I have the RSCs and thought about switching to Magura MT7s. I’ve had pistons stick twice to where ...more

Magura's are the only way to go! I will never use any other brake, so happy with them!! make the switch you wont regret it! they are always consistent, have a ton of power, and a ton of modulation!! I really cant say enough good things about them! Magura for life! They are the only component I truly believe will make you a faster more confident rider! I Ride the mt5's but all my friends have the mt7's and none of us have any complaints! best brakes by far!

|