Accessibility Widget: On | Off

stripped screw

Related:
Create New Tag

10/24/2010 7:31 PM

the screw that holds the break pads in on some avid codes i got at velo swap is stripped badly. Does anybody have any ideas on how to get it out.

|

10/25/2010 12:48 AM

Vise-grips, or you can dremel a slot into the bolt head and use a flat screw driver. Good luck!

|

10/25/2010 7:40 AM

I would second the recommendation to cut a slot into the head and use a flat screw driver. You will of course have to but a new bolt

|

10/25/2010 10:50 AM

That is a really tricky bolt to remove, since cutting a slot in the head of the bolt requires almost surgical precision with the dremel. To cut said slot, you are going to need a well-worn (smaller diameter) cutting wheel, so it fits into that tiny space in the caliper. Otherwise, you will simply cut the caliper with the wheel. Not good! Even with the smaller diameter, worn cutting wheel, you will need to be VERY careful not to touch the caliper with the cutting wheel. My advice: play a couple games of "Operation" before attempting this procedure. That being said, it is vastly satisfying once accomplished. Much like winning "Operation."

|

10/25/2010 3:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/25/2010 3:02 PM

Is there any way to cut a slit in the screw without using a dremel

|

10/25/2010 9:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:12 PM

Sometimes a corresponding English size allen that is just a bit larger will hook up with what's left of the bolt head.

|