Accessibility Widget: On | Off

How small is too small??? Bike size

Related:
Create New Tag

1/13/2015 7:25 PM

Hey I've got an older specialized 2011 Spec. Status 1 and its a medium. I am 6 1' 139 lbs. (no joke)
I hear that with a smaller bike, things become more unstable. But at what point? Is it time for me to get a bigger bike?
When hitting bigger jumps, I think I can feel a little bit of a wobble when I land. Is it just me or is it to small?
Heres a video link to what im talking about with the wobble:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/The-Wobbles,27922/D-Summertime,26680

let me know if it doesnt work

I hope you guys can help!

|

1/13/2015 10:35 PM

at 6'1" i would think a medium is considerably too small for your height. sure it's about personal preference, but you look cramped from what can be seen in your video. a bigger size generally has a longer wheelbase which helps w/ stability at speed.

here's your video embedded too

The Wobbles - More Mountain Bike Videos

|

1/14/2015 8:03 AM

yeah the only problem is that im 15 and broke.

|

1/20/2015 9:23 AM

Yes, a larger frame will help. At 6'1" you're best suited to a Large or XL, depending on the brand. Look for something with around a 450mm reach measurement (learn more here), combined with a short stem and wide bars. Don't go rushing out the door though if money is an issue. Just ride your current bike into the ground and then upgrade. Your Medium is likely the same size as many Larges from just a few years ago.

In your video you do seem to land a bit nose heavy (hard to tell without seeing it from the side), which likely contributes to the wobble.

|