Homemade "Hall lock" for Sram & Shimano

rockchomper
A brilliant solution on a homemade "Hall Lock" for Sram and Shiamno derailleurs from my buddy Collin Timmermans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IChC4h8WDkA
|
Sesame Seed
5/30/2020 8:44am
It's the taking something DH Race focused with insistance upon it working the same on trails that's seeming to be overlooked. Used to try this w/ Dyna-Sys 9-speed - busted deraileurs were a result then also.

Using M9000 XTR on a vague ride-everywhere-up-and-down-bike-shaped-thing and, no noise or wear. Shimano's sensible XTR 11-40 cassette has less leverage from any increases in cage rotation, clutch is set as light as can be and I run a full chainguide.
rockchomper
6/1/2020 8:06am
I just got my AL washer so ill be trying this hack out this weekend, I will report back with how it worked for me!
Jon_Angieri
6/2/2020 7:29pm
I just got my AL washer so ill be trying this hack out this weekend, I will report back with how it worked for me!
Bought the spacer from the link you posted on Pinkbike. Can’t wait to try it out as well. Are you running SRAM or Shimano??
rockchomper
6/3/2020 8:01am
Bought the spacer from the link you posted on Pinkbike. Can’t wait to try it out as well. Are you running SRAM or Shimano??
I am Running SRAM GX 7 Speed for my DH rig but although im not sure, I do think that washer will work with the sram one too.
Jon_Angieri
6/8/2020 6:49pm
I am Running SRAM GX 7 Speed for my DH rig but although im not sure, I do think that washer will work with the sram...
I am Running SRAM GX 7 Speed for my DH rig but although im not sure, I do think that washer will work with the sram one too.
I’m running XO1 Eagle derailleur. Got my washers in today. Going to try it out tomorrow. Have you had a chance to test it yet??
rockchomper
6/9/2020 12:42pm
I am Running SRAM GX 7 Speed for my DH rig but although im not sure, I do think that washer will work with the sram...
I’m running XO1 Eagle derailleur. Got my washers in today. Going to try it out tomorrow. Have you had a chance to test it yet??
Yes I did try it out and its so freaking silent!!!! ill link a video in the next few minutes to show how quiet it is!

i put it on my bike and my friends bike and both of our derailleurs did not have the ring holding the b screw stop in, it was actually easier to remove you just unscrew while pushing the bolt out, it also helps if you remove the small oring that fits under the b-screw stop plate (the oring on the bolt closer to the threads) do not remove any other orings. I cant recommend this hack enough. stay tuned for a short clip of me smashing through steep chunk with it installed!
rockchomper
6/9/2020 12:58pm
Make sure your Volume is up! My bike is now silent!
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/518361/

its probably also mentioning I have covers on my internal cables, the link below shows cheap cable covers and you dont have to remove anything to install them. check you internal cable routing holes to see if you need 1/8 or 1/4. if your unsure go 1/8in.
https://www.mcmaster.com/1459T811
Barry
6/11/2020 12:07am
You can do the same thing by using loctite on the shimano derailleur and the cheaper sram derailleur hanger mount bolts and loctite the bolt in place with a retaining compound

Then on the higher spec sram derailleur where there is a separate bushing, you can file the bushing down by 2mm when the derailleur mount bolt is tightened it locks the mech in place as the bushing is shorter and doesn’t bottom out.
Using loctite retaining compound improves this again.
Far better than having less threads of the bolt holding your derailleur on.
6/11/2020 4:39am
Testing this on my xt 12 speed. I’ll give it a try and see if it makes a difference! My bike wasn’t loud before but maybe this will make her even better! I used a brass spacer from the hardware store with a 12mm internal diameter and it fit like a glove!
therock911
6/11/2020 11:42am
Would this have any affect on shifting performance?
rockchomper
6/11/2020 1:31pm
therock911 wrote:
Would this have any affect on shifting performance?
Nope, i've been running in and it shifts perfectly fine! also its break for the breaking bumps at bike parks as those are known to damage b screws and this locks it into place so that it doesn't smash up your screw. Its pretty legit I can see why it is a standard feature on the new TRP derailleur.
therock911
6/11/2020 2:26pm
Nope, i've been running in and it shifts perfectly fine! also its break for the breaking bumps at bike parks as those are known to damage...
Nope, i've been running in and it shifts perfectly fine! also its break for the breaking bumps at bike parks as those are known to damage b screws and this locks it into place so that it doesn't smash up your screw. Its pretty legit I can see why it is a standard feature on the new TRP derailleur.
I see. I guess my thinking is was there a reason why derailleur's were like this in the first place? Just for easy wheel removal?
rockchomper
6/11/2020 3:31pm
therock911 wrote:
I see. I guess my thinking is was there a reason why derailleur's were like this in the first place? Just for easy wheel removal?
the reason its not set from the factory is different frames, cassettes, jockey wheels, ect. means that the b screw needs to be adjusted differently so they allow movement for adjustment, but once adjusted it no longer needs to be have movement. So once you have you b screw properly set you can lock it in with this trick eliminating the movement which causes noise and damaged b screws. Its the exact same thing trp did with they're new derailleur.
6/23/2020 8:02am
After two weeks of riding with this hack I have to say it maker literally no difference whatsoever. It might work better on some other suspension platforms but in my bike there is no noticeable change
therock911
8/16/2020 4:31pm
I went to go do this and looks like my brand new sram x01 derailleur has a different system on the inside of the bolt. not sure what its called but the black part with a lip that sits inside the derailleur doesn't seem to have a lock clip anymore. Or at least i don't see it. Grabbed my old derailleur and is definitely a different system now.
mfoga
8/16/2020 8:30pm
Nope, i've been running in and it shifts perfectly fine! also its break for the breaking bumps at bike parks as those are known to damage...
therock911 wrote:
Yep it there for reason. What happens to you RD when you have an impact on the RD and its locked down? Bye bye RD and/or hanger. If the RD pivots that allows it to deflect some of that impact lowering the possibility of damage. And yeah when you have cases full of bike parts like John Hall and Arron Gwin that is not a concern.
5/25/2022 3:01pm
Hey Guys, I want to get as well my Shimano drivetrain silent, does anyone got a link for me for the spacer for a Shimano 12x drivetrain.

Thank You!
5/26/2022 12:09am
I just actually got the STFU but it doesn’t make it better with it, so I want to mount the spacer.
mtb2104
8/7/2022 3:40am
Anyone do this with an AXS RD?
I tried out this interesting hack on my X01 AXS, and while the top part of the derailleur kinda stayed put, the clutch is so weak that the chain still bounces.

X01 AXS clutch measures about 2.6 Nm before it moves
X01 mechanical clutch measures about 3 Nm before it moves

Post a reply to: Homemade "Hall lock" for Sram & Shimano

The Latest