Accessibility Widget: On | Off

History Lesson: Shift

Related:
Create New Tag

1/25/2011 9:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2011 9:34 AM

Back before Ride to the Hills, Jorli Ricker made Shift, almost entirely on 16mm film. The movie featured a young Dustin Adams prior to his take off and sudden departure from racing. It also featured Dangerous Dan smashing his face years before Yeti sponsored the Flow Show. The video featured Dave Watson prior to Sombrio and Andrew Shandro still very much in racer-mode. It had a great 80's glam metal soundtrack and punk covers from Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies (arguably the only punk cover band worth noting in history?) and a section for the ages by Wade Simmons that sold more Rocky Mountain Pipelines than should ever have been allowed.

SHIFT from Jeff Brown on Vimeo.

Big thanks to who ever transfered this from vhs and tossed it up as their one video on Vimeo. Hope this doesn't spoil your residual VHS sales Mr. Ricker!
|

1/26/2011 8:36 AM

aw yeeeah!
man, got this on vhs, but its been a minute since a screening!
forgot that neil saunders sets it off, sick.

|

1/26/2011 9:35 AM

Pedal drops! Love it. Hadn't seen this one.

|

1/26/2011 10:27 AM

Motley Crue was definitely glam metal, but there was nothing glam or even cool about Metallica when they made Blitzkrieg, anyhow still a cool blast from the past. Even saw an old Gary Fisher Joshua (freeride Y-bike, what a piece now but big deal then). Funny how so many bikes were just getting v-brakes and sporting the newest brake arch to get better stopping power, expecially with the old magura hydro rim brakes. Disc brakes were pretty much non-existent back then. Then Shimano came out with the XT 735 disc, which set the brake designing world on its ear. Pretty cool. And to think I almost bought a RM Pipeline! Those URT designs sure went the way of the DoDo bird!

|

1/26/2011 11:54 AM

such a great vid from the time!

|

1/26/2011 2:10 PM

I'm so stoked to have finally seen this. It's no "Ride To The Hills," but you can see where Jorli was taking it...

|

1/26/2011 3:02 PM

Does anybody know of a converter that would actually work well for this video. I don't have the VHS copies anymore but I love this movie. I tried converting Ride to the Hills using one, but the pixelation was brutal and the video was hardly watchable....

|

The MTB paradigm:

ride (build+maintain) = a sh!tload of fun.

"Too weird to live... too rare to die" (H. Thompson)

1/26/2011 10:50 PM

That's the first video I have seen on Vital that made the riding actually look hard!

|

1/29/2011 1:49 PM

Hahaha everytime I hear "Kick Start My Heart" I think of this movie. And "Rocketman" by Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies from Wade's seggie. Haha this was a nice trip down memory lane for sure.

|

"Trust your life. The journey is more important than the destination."