Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Getting back into the game

Related:
Create New Tag

4/30/2020 6:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2020 6:03 AM

After a long 15+ year absence from mountain biking, I'm looking to get back at it. Just left the world of motocross, looking for some change. Looking on advice about a bike and what's everyone's opinion on it. Please be kind, a lot has changed since I have been out if it. Photo
Photo

Thanks all and look forward to new adventures.

|

4/30/2020 7:59 AM

Nice price, but I would avoid that one due to the Unified Rear Triangle suspension design. And Welcome back Sir!

|

4/30/2020 8:04 AM

Big Bird wrote:

Nice price, but I would avoid that one due to the Unified Rear Triangle suspension design. And Welcome back Sir!

Could you explain why. I know the whole entry level price point get what you pay for. I'm looking to restart back with something that is a decent bike at an entry level cost. Yeah, looking for the needle in a haystack

|

4/30/2020 8:07 AM

If I remember correctly, bikes where the bottom bracket is part of the swing arm like this only offer suspension when seated and not when standing when you likely need it most.

|

4/30/2020 8:09 AM

be careful to go back to the game with a bike that puts you off, frustrates your energy to keep pushing it.. it all comes down to budget.. you can pedal and get fit on a $300 huffy... (or Schwinn).. but do your homework.. check this out https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTBs-2-000-Mountain-Bike-Comparison,2793

cheers

|

4/30/2020 2:03 PM

Big Bird wrote:

If I remember correctly, bikes where the bottom bracket is part of the swing arm like this only offer suspension when seated and not when standing when you likely need it most.

Isaac Newton agrees.

Also, the pedals, cranks, and BB are all unsprung weight in that design.

|

4/30/2020 2:34 PM

With the info I'm receiving, I'm thinking that honestly for a reintroduction to riding, it seems like a good deal. Not an expert or even intermediate rider. I understand that as skill increases, there will need to be progression to a better bike. I thank you for the info because that's what I need. I cannot afford the $1000+ bikes at the moment, was hoping this is a happy medium. Thank you all

|

4/30/2020 2:50 PM

This bike will puts you exactly where you stopped. Plus 5 more years on top of that. Get a decent hardtail. It will be fun, it will go fast and you will not need to worry about components and suspension that could be additional pain to your wallet.

|

4/30/2020 3:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2020 3:48 PM

Photo

Photo

Another fellow motocrosser 😎 Honestly, if you can afford moto, then biking is a drop in the bucket. I spent probably $20k in the past 3 years in moto, and that’s nothing compared to some guys.

Having just gotten back into biking as well, (and making a similar post), I am on the bottom of the totem poll as far as giving advice. But I think these options might still be better for a lil more money.

Note: you can find the GT for cheaper actually, but I’d just get a good hardtail
|

SB5.5
SB95

4/30/2020 4:25 PM

Kelz87 wrote: Photo

Photo

Another fellow motocrosser 😎 Honestly, if you can afford moto, then biking is a drop in the bucket. I spent probably $20k in the past 3 years in moto, and that’s nothing compared to some guys.

Having just gotten back into biking as well, (and making a similar post), I am on the bottom of the totem poll as far as giving advice. But I think these options might still be better for a lil more money.

Note: you can find the GT for cheaper actually, but I’d just get a good hardtail

Moto was no joke. Partly why I bowed out. Between purchasing another car for my 18 year old, get ready to send off to college, the current economic uncertainty at work. I can't afford a bike that expensive. I figured I'd take the same approach as I did moto. Start off lite ( 96 rm250 ) , progressed to a 2004 rmz250 and than a 2007 kx450f and finally my beloved 2014 kx450f. Same mind set. I didn't think the bike was that " unattractive " per say. But that's why I sought out opinions. Need to start somewhere. My time will come to get a real nice bike, just not now. I figured the full suspension would be better on the old body, I guess. Thanks for the thought out response. Appreciate it

|

4/30/2020 5:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2020 5:24 PM

No problem man, I get the appeal of the full suspension bike too. Keep your eyes open on OfferUp, Marketplace, Craigslist etc...-best of luck!

|

SB5.5
SB95

4/30/2020 7:44 PM

My 2c.

In that price range, I’d consider a Hardtail.
You get a better bike, with less mtce.

Things to ensure that the bike is “current”.

No front derailleur
Hydraulic disc brakes (Pref “name brand” - but I’ve found upgrading to Shimano “XT” 2 pistons to be great value - shopping around online.)
Dropper post (If not installed, look at adding one.)
29” wheels (or possibly 27.5”)

Enjoy riding. Practice some “technique”. Get bike fit. Discover the riding areas available.

Then as the bug bites, and hopefully your budget increases, you will have more idea which FS bike suits your needs.
Keeping the hard tail for XC/Cycleways would be the way I’d go forward - but I’m a hoarder.

|

5/1/2020 6:15 AM

I’d get a used hardtail. The pedaling efficiency will vastly outweigh the benefits of a low end sus bike. Plus a better fork will benefit those old bones far more than some travel in the rear.

Also while I personally am not super into it. Plus or fat tires are fantastic for a casual or new rider. Especially if you can’t afford top end suspension.

|