Favorite Winter Tire Combo?

mwolpin
Curious what everyone is running this winter. Living in the Pacific Northwest, we don’t get much “sticky mud” but there is plenty of deep pockets. Years past I’ve stayed with the Minion DHF/DHR combo. Yesterday I ran a High Roller in the rear and liked it. Actually had more issues with my DHF sliding out.

I’ve thought about trying the Assegai up front and I’ve been intrigued by Michelin’s recent offerings.

What are you all running this year?
|
thejake
11/26/2020 2:54pm
I have a Assegai front and DHR rear, ran this in the PNW all spring summer and fall. I kind of need new tires. Thinking of keeping same combo. It seems to have really good grip and sheds mud well. I’ve really only had problems on the sloppiest of days, the kind of days you would need a Shorty or Wet Scream for. Might go Assegai front and rear, Shorty front and DHR rear or try some Michelin DH22.
11/27/2020 3:19am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2020 7:34am
Kaiser front baron rear. Really like continentals rubber as it’s faster than max grip but still really sticky on wet roots and rocks. Actually started this based off a members post here

If it’s peanut butter then mud king front and a worn down baron rear
JVP
11/29/2020 3:05pm
Front: Maxxis MaxxGrip, Schwalbe Ultra Soft, Conti Black Chili or E.Thirteen MoPo rubber. Pick your preferred casing weight and see what treads are available. I’m personally a fan of the Magic Mary. Rubber compound comes first, all other factors come after that.

Magic Mary Ultra Soft: great all-rounder, digs in nicely in soft stuff. Only available in heavier SuperGravity or DH casings.

E.Thirteen Trail MoPo. Great tire on rock faces and firm. Shallower center knobs so braking in goo isn’t as good. Square-ish shape, so likes rims less than 30mm. Nice supportive sidewall given the low weight.

Maxxis DHF MaxxGrip: Great all-rounder. Not quite as good as the Mary in soft stuff, but better in off-camber rock and firm surfaces. Doesn’t clear mud all that well and so-so braking power.

Maxxis DHRii MaxxGrip: I love it as a rear tire and dry conditions front, but in the wet off-camber it can slide sideways. Not recommended.

Maxxis Assegai MaxxGrip: Great all-rounder, predictable for those people who don’t like the lean-it-over DHF cornering (I love the DHF cornering). Heavy for what it is. Clogs up more than the Mary, which is why I like the Mary more.

Continental Der Baron: I haven’t tried it, but supposed to be great rubber in the wet and soft. Supposedly the casings are a bit fragile if you land sideways. I’ll try this tire next winter.

Rear is easier. DHRii in MaxxTerra. Choose your preferred casing.

I actually run a heavier tire in front than back. Super Gravity Mary with no insert, because that’s what Ultra Soft is available in. Rear I use a DHR EXO with a Tannus insert. Not a lot of pointy rocks here (Seattle), so we don’t tend to kill casings like other areas.
mwolpin
11/30/2020 9:34am
Thanks everyone.

I'm inclined to give the Michelin and Contis a try this year, just to try something new.

@JVP - Yeah, I am in Kenmore and ride Tiger and Raging a majority of the time. I started out on WTBs two decades ago and moved to Maxxis a few years after and never changed. My curiosity is fueling this thread more than anything at the moment.
TEAMROBOT
11/30/2020 11:26am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2020 11:28am
My favorite winter tire combo has always been running the same tires I run in the summer. Right now I'm on an Assegai DH MaxxGrip front and a DHF DH hard compound rear. Works a treat.
rockchomper
11/30/2020 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2020 1:00pm
I live in southern California, my summer tires are the same as my winter tires we need rain Sad can some of you PNW folk send some of that rain down this way!

mwolpin
11/30/2020 1:48pm
I live in southern California, my summer tires are the same as my winter tires we need rain :( can some of you PNW folk send...
I live in southern California, my summer tires are the same as my winter tires we need rain Sad can some of you PNW folk send some of that rain down this way!

At least you save money not having to buy winter tires AND summer tires.

Post a reply to: Favorite Winter Tire Combo?

The Latest