Accessibility Widget: On | Off

New Shock

Related:
Create New Tag

11/27/2010 6:14 PM

I want to buy a new shock for my stab but can't decide between air or coil. I like the idea of either a Vivid air, rc4 or a DB. I'm leaning towards air to save some weight , any suggestions?

|

11/27/2010 9:09 PM

From my experience, air shocks tend to be a bit harsh, especially at the beginning of the stroke. For a DH rig, coil all the way. Can't go wrong with either the RC4 or the DB.

|

11/29/2010 8:07 AM

I've been pretty stoked on my Vivid Air on my DH bike. It has a different feeling than a coil shock (similar to what turman mentioned), but offers unlimited control over spring rate that is fun to experiment with.

|

11/29/2010 10:17 AM

If you're concerned about weight, a Double Barrel should be the last on your list. They're well known to be the heaviest damper out there. If you want a solid feel with lots of tuning, it goes to the top...

I would like to try the Vivid air.

|

11/29/2010 1:14 PM

Weight savings is no compromise for ride quality. There is no substitute (even though some say the Vivid Air feels just as good as) for a coil rear shock. However, if money is not an obstacle, then you can always get a Ti coil for your shock and drop a ton of weight.... they also feel awesome!!

|

"You want a toe? I can get you a toe. There are ways dude, you don't want to know about it. Hell, I could get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nailpolish."

11/30/2010 4:11 PM

Right now i have a 2010 Van is it worth while to upgrade to a different coil shock if i don't go air?

|

12/9/2010 8:06 AM

I've been on the Vivid Air since July and I'm a big fan. I've written about my setup on it, that might go up here in a bit...

|

I'm hungry.