Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Best 8 inch fork

Related:
Create New Tag

10/21/2009 2:30 PM

What's the best 8 inch fork in production? i'm looking for a new fork and wondering what people think

|

10/21/2009 5:22 PM

For DH racing? Freeride? What is your budget?

|

10/21/2009 7:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2009 7:45 PM

DH and some freeride, some where under 1000, it's between a 09 40, 10 Boxxer Race, or a 10 totem even though it's 7 in

|

10/22/2009 8:39 AM

If you are looking into a sub $1000 fork you are not looking at the best in production.

The Totem has the exact same axle to crown and ride height as the Boxxer. If you are looking into those 3 forks, the Boxxer Race would be the lowest end by far, look into the Team if you can. The 40 is great. Boxxers and 40s will require a bit more maintenance than a Totem will because they are race forks. If you want a race fork, get the 40, if you want a freeride fork, get the Totem

|

10/22/2009 4:53 PM

the only problem with the 40 is it was used for a season so i'm not sure how hard it was ridden

|

10/22/2009 7:43 PM

That is certainly a valid concern.

While it will step over your $1000 price point, you can get a BoXXer Team for about $1200 and be a much better fork than the BoXXer Race. If you are racing go for the new BoXXer, freeriding or bike park riding, go Totem. I have a BoXXer WC and a Totem, they are very different forks.

What frame is this going on?

|

10/22/2009 8:20 PM

To me all forks are about the same...they all break! You can run a moto fork for years before it blows and there about the same price, i don't understand!

Fox 40... you can blow the shit out of this fork and as long as you have an extra blader, seals, and oil you can rebuild at your campsite 30 min. or less. Try using 7 weight oil in the damper and you'll be like dam this is butter. It's so easy to fully rebuild and thats the bottom line

|

Pwest

10/23/2009 10:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:17 AM

|

10/23/2009 4:06 PM

From what I have tested, I can fully recommend the 09 888 RC3... I think that, if you are looking for a good fork, that needs little maintenance, the Marzocchi will do the job.

For racing I don't think they are the best, but for FR and riding they are excellent.

|

10/23/2009 4:36 PM

Plus they come with a 3 year warranty.

|

10/24/2009 11:32 AM

This is kinda off topic, but what do you guys think of the Marzocchi 66?

|

Hardtails can do everything duals can. Well... almost.

10/24/2009 3:05 PM

foxrider18 wrote:

This is kinda off topic, but what do you guys think of the Marzocchi 66?

For? Which year? Which model? Why bike? What kind of riding? I have run the 2007 66RC2X and it was great for freeride, for DH, not great.

|

10/24/2009 10:45 PM

i've ridden the 66 rvc on a demo at wp winter park its good but had bad small bump compliance

|

10/25/2009 11:49 AM

Marzocchi is back with a vengenance. I really think you should check out the 2010 888 RC3X EVO. The revamped model has an adjustable shim stack to fine tune for your riding pleasure, brand new bushing system and bottom and top out bumpers. You can purchase new and be the original owner for a 3 yr warranty - thats just sick. I have got a 2010 55 RC3X and I am super pumped on the buttery feel, quality external adjusters and solid overall feel. As long as you go without the TI version you should be in or around 1K. I really think all the forks mentioned are great, so just buy new for your warranty and support your Local Bike Shop. Ride On......

|

10/26/2009 7:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/26/2009 7:33 AM

no, stay the hell away from marzocchi. ever since they stopped making stuff in italy there product went downhill. and not in a good way. i have a few friends whove had the 09 ones and theyve been nothing but problems. get a fox 40. if you cant get that, go for a 2011 boxxer. doesnt matter what model, there all gonna kick ass. but you have to tune them in more. and i say 2011 cuz the 10's had some problems, but really what ever the newer ones are.

|

yak

10/26/2009 8:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:10 PM

Well, regarding Marzocchi sucking, I've always heard that since they moved production to Taiwan, the fork quality suffered, and there were some recalls, however, I have had my 2008 888RC3 WC for 10 months and I have not done anything to it (regarding maintenance) still runs great, and I have given it lots of hits on crashes, and it still works great.

Regarding setup, indeed, like noted above, their small bump compliance is not that good, since they dont have separate low and high speed compression adjustments. So what happens is, in order to not have too much brake jack on the fork, you need to run the compression a bit high and thus, not having very good setup on small bumps... However, on everything else, its great, big hits and on everything else, it works great. Thus I think for DH Racing, its too heavy and not that adjustable, but for FR or trail riding is on the top of my list, since it still works really good, and requires no maintenance at all (at least in my case)

|

10/26/2009 3:42 PM

Out of all these forks what would be the best one for a combination of park riding and dh racing. It would be going on an 07 stinky

|

10/26/2009 5:07 PM

08 Marzocchi had some issues, 09 was much better but 2010 is next level.... While some of the models look the same as last year, nearly everything has been refined. New bushes, new springs and a new compression valve in the 888 which makes custom tuning of the fork really simple and gives a wider range of compression damping than any other fork. Our team riders have just got on the new 888 and it works a whole lot nicer than the old one, no bushing play either......I've been thrashing the new 55 RC3 Ti and its AMAZING, there will be a 888 on my new downhill bike very shortly too. Yeah I do work for Marzocchi New Zealand but I have seen the difference in forks over the last few seasons and theses 2010 ones rock!

|

10/26/2009 8:15 PM

GBiker321 wrote:

Out of all these forks what would be the best one for a combination of park riding and dh racing. It would be going on an 07 stinky

Well, for a combination of both, and just for my experience I would say the 888 RC3, its cheap, and the key for me is the low maintenance issue.

Unless I am sponsored and dont have to pay for the maintenance on the fork, the Marzocchi nearly does not need any maintenance at all... It surely is heavier than the Fox or Rock Shox Boxxer, but rides really good....

If you have more money and lean more to the DH Race part, I would select the Fox 40 RC2, its lighther, works really good also, has great adjustability and is pretty strong too...

I am scared of Boxxers since they say they just need to much maintenance, and for me, that has to pay for those things, or if something malfunctions on the fork, does not work...

However, people say they are the best DH Race fork, so they should work pretty good...

It all depends on your budget and preference (more racing oriented, or more freeriding)...

|

10/27/2009 5:00 PM

alfarac wrote:

Well, for a combination of both, and just for my experience I would say the 888 RC3, its cheap, and the key for me is the low maintenance issue.

Unless I am sponsored and dont have to pay for the maintenance on the fork, the Marzocchi nearly does not need any maintenance at all... It surely is heavier than the Fox or Rock Shox Boxxer, but rides really good....

If you have more money and lean more to the DH Race part, I would select the Fox 40 RC2, its lighther, works really good also, has great adjustability and is pretty strong too...

I am scared of Boxxers since they say they just need to much maintenance, and for me, that has to pay for those things, or if something malfunctions on the fork, does not work...

However, people say they are the best DH Race fork, so they should work pretty good...

It all depends on your budget and preference (more racing oriented, or more freeriding)...

The 40 now isn't any lighter than the new 888 Ti

|

10/28/2009 7:14 AM

Jackhill... Sounds like he wants to ride his bike this year. ?? 2011 Boxxer ?? All these forks mentioned in this forum are good. Believe in change my friend. Marz was once the best and they are back with a vengenace. Tenneco made some great changes like going back to its roots in oil/coil sprung forks and revamping the quailty assurance (QA) in Taiwan. and more. If you looking for forks not made in Taiwan then look at White Brothers. All the mainstream brand forks are coming out of Taiwan. The new 888 RC3X EVO has an adjustable shim stack that is easily interchangeable. Shred it stock for a while then order another shim stack to tune for your freeriding and drops. Or you can just modify the stack each time. I do believe that you can tune it to always do well; racing or freeride. Now if your a Pro or World Cup, obviously that doesn't apply. But if your asking for our fork idea input, your probably not an Elite racer. Anyways, Marzocchi is back to superior products and with a 3 year warranty, you can't lose, in my opinion.

|

10/28/2009 8:22 AM

GBiker321 wrote:

alfarac wrote:

JohnnyC wrote:

The 40 now isn't any lighter than the new 888 Ti

Exactly, that is why I wrote, 888 RC3, as in a 2009 888 RC3.

The 888 Evo Ti is $1600, I really doubt that the fork is on the guys price range... You can find an 09 888 RC3 for about $700-800, which to me is cheap for a very good riding fork which you can race too if you want...

|

10/29/2009 11:11 AM

That's why he would get the non Titanium version of the EVO. It has a steel coil just like your 2009. I never mentioned the Ti EVO. That way he gets the latest technologies to tune for his riding pleasure. Ride Bikes!

|