Accessibility Widget: On | Off

slx brakes

Related:
Create New Tag

1/19/2016 4:21 PM

so i got my new slx brakes for my dj and put them on and supposedly they come pre bled. but they barely work and when i adjust the reach so it is smaller (lever closer to bars) the lever touches the bars before they bite. anyone got any clues on what it could be?

|

1/19/2016 6:54 PM

Unfortunately it's not super uncommon for brakes to come from the factory needing a bleed. It used to happen all the time and manufacturers have gotten a lot better at providing a solid feel most of the time, but once in awhile they still ship a bad set.

If you happened to buy them from your local bike shop, they'd likely bleed them at no charge and bill Shimano to recover their labor. But, if you bought them online you'll usually have to pay for a shop to bleed them or learn to bleed brakes yourself.

|

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

1/19/2016 7:08 PM

I've had issues with some brakes coming with too much pressure in the system. So often you can just unscrew the bleed screw, grab just a bit of lever, tighten and you're good.

|

1/19/2016 7:14 PM

Big Bird wrote:

I've had issues with some brakes coming with too much pressure in the system. So often you can just unscrew the bleed screw, ...more

thankyou for the help but that didnt work unfortunately

|

1/19/2016 7:16 PM

now they dont work at all

|

1/20/2016 4:43 AM

Shimano's levers take a fitted reservoir when being bled - take your bike to a shop. Likely spewed out all your brake fluid, are pumping air.

|

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

1/20/2016 5:46 AM

|

1/20/2016 9:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2016 9:35 AM

It could be a bad set, or incorrect bleeding. Or it could just be that shimano brakes are shite. Having owned a set, they did the same. Inconsistent lever movement during runs and they often pulled back to the bar despite adjusting the reach and bleeding (correctly) a lot! Nothing I tried really worked.

The best I could do was to pull the calliper off the disc, pump the lever to force the pistons/pads to sit further out and run it like that. Less than ideal but at least it meant I could use the brakes for a day before having to re-adjust. My brothers saints were the same, and everyone I have talked to with saint or zees have come across similar problems.

I wouldn't purchase them again. I am on sram guides and they're a million miles better. They actually work.

|

1/20/2016 2:00 PM

Big Bird wrote:

I've had issues with some brakes coming with too much pressure in the system. So often you can just unscrew the bleed screw, ...more

Too much pressure? Do you consider the consequences for other people when you tell them to do stupid stuff?

|

1/20/2016 2:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2016 2:19 PM

thedeathstar wrote:

Too much pressure? Do you consider the consequences for other people when you tell them to do stupid stuff?

I'm just going by what I personally have observed on many different sets of brakes. And I didn't tell the guy to do it. I was only stating that yes, sometimes a factory bleed is not ideal.

|

1/20/2016 2:30 PM

Big Bird wrote:

thedeathstar wrote:

I agree! That is terrible advice.
If the brakes came feeling like crap you need to bleed them. If they still feel soft check for leaks, there could be a bad seal from a bad a o-ring, a crack in the tubing or a bad seal on a fitting.

|

1/20/2016 4:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2016 4:54 PM

Big Bird wrote:

thedeathstar wrote:

boogenman wrote:

I agree! That is terrible advice.
If the brakes came feeling like crap you need to bleed them. If they still feel soft check ...more

Whilst you are all slamming Big Bird, Read his comment. He states he has had brakes that have arrived with too much pressure .. I think he is referring to to much oil within the system.

He is quite right, I've had various ammounts of Tektro and Entry level Shimano brakes arrive with a fair amount too much in, simply open the bleed port slowly apply pressure to the lever and allow any excess to flow out...

This practice works fine, if you mess it up ( allowing the lever to drop without the bleed port screw being done up ) this will most likely result in needing a bleed... but The Thread is in regards to a spongy or nil braking engagement.

This in itself points to needing a bleed .

|

1/20/2016 4:57 PM

I would advise having your Local bike store carry out the work, Unfortunately brakes and suspension are the two things you really don't want to have a crack at yourself unless you are quite confident...

Whilst practice makes perfect, it can also be very expensive on a set of brand new brakes.

A bleed kit is available , however will cost more than a bleed.

|