What's the Best Spot You've Ever Ridden?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/29/2016 2:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/29/2016 3:43 PM

We always see that cliche saying "The places my bike takes me." But it's true, and as someone who's traveled a lot, both on and off the bike, my bike has taken me to some amazing places that'd I'd have never seen if riding wasn't one of my passions.

Last year, I got to make a trip out to Retallack, which is located about an hour and a half north of Nelson, B.C. in the Selkirk Mountains. I had one hell of a time getting there, too, with delayed and missed flights, an unexpected rental car purchase and eight or so hour drive, getting lost, etc... and finally showing up to the lodge at 3AM. It was kinda a mess. Oh, and they lost our baggage.

But, it was worth it. Day one we spent doing half mountain shuttles with the Retallack crew. Super fun, natural DH trails where you could pretty much hold'er as wide open as your brain and body would let you. Steep shoots with perfect catch berms, etc... And even though these were half mountain runs, I still feel like the run was a good ten to fifteen minutes long (I could be wrong, though).

Day two, though is what blew me away. We started off with a shuttle to mid-mountain again, but, this time we'd make it ALL the way to the top in a HELICOPTER.

The view from up top was nothing short of spectacular. And even more exciting was the fact that we were about to descend 6,000 vertical feet on the sickest trails ever.

And the cherry on top? Cold beers and grub at the bottom outside the lodge beside an icy cold creek.

So, what's the raddest spot your bike's taken you?

Photos: Adrian Marcoux

|

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

7/29/2016 2:51 PM

Schladming!
That place is so rad on a DH bike! I couldn't have imagined how awesome it is, it blew my mind!

Davos in Switzerland is pretty nice for some Enduro riding, there is an awesome lake, one of my favourite trails ends 500m from the lake and you have great areas like Lenzerheide, Chur, St. Moritz, Arosa, etc. pretty close.

|

I can ride my bike with no handlebar!

7/29/2016 4:36 PM

Hood River, Oregon and the surrounding area. It rivals Europe in every way, without the threat of terrorism. Just bad traffic. (Team Sarcasm!)

|

7/29/2016 8:28 PM

The best? Too many.

Top 3:
1. Antz Basin in the Sawtooths, ID. Ya, illegal now. Pfft.
2. Mckenzie River Trail
3. Hood River, OR

|

7/29/2016 10:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/29/2016 10:13 PM

The Whole Enchilada, and Moab in general.

|

7/29/2016 10:57 PM

La Thuile, Italy.
Savage tracks, crazy exposure, breathtaking altitude and views. My only learning point is that when you race blind in the Alps, take four pot brakes.

|

7/29/2016 11:38 PM

Whistler. It's that good...

|

7/30/2016 1:25 AM

haven't been anywhere super cool, no exotic locales or anything. But I have ridden the Pisgah/Asheville/Brevard area(pretty regularly actually, a weekend trip once sometimes twice a month). May not be the most exotic location, but the riding is pretty much second to none.

|

7/30/2016 8:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/30/2016 8:40 AM

oliv3r wrote:

The Whole Enchilada, and Moab in general.

Would have to agree with you here. Moab may be the cliche answer, but it is a 'mecca' for good reasons. The landsape is incredible, you have to work to get to the viewpoints which makes them even sweeter. The entire experience - long desert rides that sample varying trail and geology, test your mental and physical limits, plus test your bike. Hallucinating about ice cream bars from the gas station while pedalling out a road in the desert heat. The town vibe. Getting a shower at the rec center, a quesadilla from the Mobilla, drinking beer around a campfire and falling asleep with the sound of silence broken by coyotes in the distance. Then get up and hop on a shuttle for another desert adventure. Toys everywhere - bikes, 4x4 rock crawlers, atv's, base jumpers, rock climbers, rafters.. Landscape full of petroglyphs that can make you feel like your tripping on acid, but its just the fact you have been sweating in the sun for 3 hours and are now at the edge of a 100ft cliff with a National Park worthy vista...

|

7/30/2016 3:01 PM

aircraft carrier, lake tahoe.

|

7/30/2016 6:41 PM

Back in the day the "White Rabbit" & "Hello Handlebars" trails on Snoqualmie Pass in Washington State were the most fun trails I had ever ridden.

|

7/31/2016 12:30 AM

It's hard to pick just one, but as the whole experience goes, Madeira is right up there. It's not the kind of place that lays everything out on a silver platter for you, even landing a plane there is sketchy (and sometimes they have to turn around and come back another day, the landing strip gets some crazy winds), but when it gets good, it gets gooooood. Some shuttles are a bit long, but then the ride makes up for it. Sometimes half of a trail will be weird, with the second half absolutely all-time. The weather can change in a heartbeat, and one side of the island can be sunny with the summit completely rained out. You get a feeling the place wants you to earn it. And when you do...the views are incredible, the landscape and the vegetation are very different, the soil is absolutely amazing especially after a bit of rain, and there are plenty of long, rough, fast, and FUN trails to sample.

Pics by Daniel Roos

|

7/31/2016 11:41 AM

AGR97 wrote:

La Thuile, Italy.
Savage tracks, crazy exposure, breathtaking altitude and views. My only learning point is that when you race blind in the Alps, take four pot brakes.

just got back from La Thuile, so far the best place i've ridden for sure

|

7/31/2016 8:53 PM

orion98 wrote:

aircraft carrier, lake tahoe.

Sarcasm noted...

|

8/2/2016 7:10 AM

Have a couple in mind that were absolutely epic.
When I was living in Portland, OR Hood River was a 45 min drive and always a great time. And the little Mexican food place at the bottom of the hill had an amazing carne asada burrito for "recovery"

Most epic of all time I cant tell you exactly where it is in Kamloops area because we were blindfolded on the drive there.
don't think I have ever had more fun on a trail.

|

8/2/2016 6:57 PM

Copper harbor.
I just rode it today for the first time and it was the best trail system I've ever been to, they had everything from easy warm ups to huge jumps to flow trails and even a true downhill track.

|