Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Rookie Crested Butte Trip

Create New Tag

8/23/2018 8:20 AM

Hey Guys,

Headed down to Crested Butte for the first time next week and am looking for some advice. 401 is at the top of my list of trails to hit. The 403 and Teocali seem to be must do's as well. I'm driving down early one morning, riding, camping, riding the next day and heading home. Short but sweet.

One question on the 401, do many people climb the trail or ride up Gothic Road? Also, looking for a good camping spot, hopefully one I could ride out of one of the two days

|

8/23/2018 4:07 PM

401 is a great experience and a poor trail. That said, you should probably ride it some day. Flower overload at various times of year! People climb up Gothic. I believe I've seen people camping up that way as well.

Photo

If you're in it for the thrills and limited on time, consider keeping that energy for other rides. Doctor's Park is a must do. Rally the bike park one afternoon as well.

|

8/24/2018 9:56 AM

I'd say teocali is better than Dr. park, but either one is good. Better views and camping on Teocali IMO.

|

8/26/2018 5:52 PM

Just ask at the bike shop where to camp. 401 has amazing scenery but turman is right. Doctors Teocalli and bike park would be an awesome 2 days

|

8/27/2018 7:43 AM

That's controversial to say Teo > Doctors smile If you are running your own loop maybe, but I think the doctors descent is way better than Teo.

I just got back from CB this weekend. Here's my opinion. Its depends how big of rides you actually want to do.
1) Skip 401, or do 403 to 401 instead. With a shuttle can do from top of Washington Gulch, or climb the road and make it a loop. Then you get a fun trail and then good views. 401 itself is a poor trail as Brandon said.
2) 409.5 doesn't get as much love, but its a great trail as well. Climb Farris.
3) I just did Cement > Crystal Peak to Star Pass > Brush > Block and Tackle, and that was a stellar loop. Its a 20m, 4K day.
4) Echo what other people say, if you have a half day, the bike park is super fun.

|

9/1/2018 6:18 AM

Alright boys, just got back last night and this trip was so rad! Thanks to the advice on here, I had a solid plan in place. Full disclosure, I may be weird, but I'm not a huge fan of bike parks. I'm on a one bike budget so maybe it's because I don't want to trash my enduro bike, but that was never in the plan.

First stop, Doctor Park. Long climb, but with it being mostly ohv trails, you're not having to focus on line choice which makes for a "relaxing" climb. Trail was super fun. Started techy, opened up into some amazing high speed flow, and came back with some more tech to finish it off. I thought the views here were amazing, but that was just the beginning.

Photo

From there, drove into CB, grabbed a beer, and headed up Gothic. Words can't describe the beauty in that valley. Drove until I found a camp spot which was about half a mile north of the campground. Quickly parked, threw my tent up, and headed out for the 401. This ride was mainly for the views and boy did it deliver! I had zero expectation of the actual trail but I was pleasantly surprised with the section through the aspens and the wide open berm slappers.

Photo

Photo

Camp for the night, decent view I'd say.

Photo

Day 2, Teocali Ridge and 409.5 if I had it in me. Spoiler alert, I didn't. Teocali climb was brutal. The previous day and the altitude made this a tough climb. I also had to hustle a bit because of looming weather so I was going a bit harder than I wanted. But man, it was worth it. I gathered myself at the top, threw in a good stretch, and sent it down the prefect mix of tech, flow, and berms... This trail had it all. Oh, and views of course.

Photo

Photo

Got back to the car and packed up just as it stared raining. Amazing trip overall, thanks again for the pointers everyone!

|

9/1/2018 6:59 PM

Yeah that Teocali climb is brutal

|

9/4/2018 5:20 PM

Looks like a solid trip! Gotta love Colorado.

|

9/8/2018 8:10 PM

Ride or get a shuttle up to 401. I haven't rode Teocali, but have rode 401, 403 and a few others in town. Dr. Park is worth the drive, but it does take a bit to get over there from in town.

Photo

|